HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8101  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 4:45 AM
hollywoodcory's Avatar
hollywoodcory hollywoodcory is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: YYC
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Guess we will see how this impacts YQL, YXH and YXC services from YYC.

AC cuts contract with Air Georgian

https://calgaryherald.com/news/regio...3-90fdeaded11a
I wonder if Jazz will fly the Dash on those routes, with reduced frequencies?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8102  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 2:10 PM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 135
I'm no fan of Air Georgian but perhaps WS will pick them up as another Link operator.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8103  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 9:26 PM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 653
I think they will be Jazz with reduced frequency (or maybe even existing frequency with just larger planes, if demand is there). When AC stopped it's agreement with CMA on BC routes from YVR, Jazz picked up only YQQ and actually with significant capacity growth. It was from 3 or 4 daily 18-seaters, to 50 daily DH3 50-seaters. However, AC never picked up YBL, YWL, of YQZ (Campbell River, WIlliams Lake, and Quesnel). These I think are quite a bit smaller centres than the Air Georgian routes from YYC, so I think those have a better chance of being upgauaged
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8104  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 2:05 AM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I think they will be Jazz with reduced frequency (or maybe even existing frequency with just larger planes, if demand is there). When AC stopped it's agreement with CMA on BC routes from YVR, Jazz picked up only YQQ and actually with significant capacity growth. It was from 3 or 4 daily 18-seaters, to 50 daily DH3 50-seaters. However, AC never picked up YBL, YWL, of YQZ (Campbell River, WIlliams Lake, and Quesnel). These I think are quite a bit smaller centres than the Air Georgian routes from YYC, so I think those have a better chance of being upgauaged
That is a huge increase from 3 or 4 per day to 50 daily on DH3s.
That’s more than QF flies MEL-SYD.

Sorry couldn’t resist!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8105  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 7:46 AM
FormerWingTipper FormerWingTipper is offline
An Airline Employee @ YYC
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 85
My guess is that I can see YYC-YQL going twice daily DH3. Maybe YXH will be cut, maybe twice daily DH3 to see if it can survive. YXC will be served from YVR only.
__________________
Sincerely,

A Former WingTipper

The opinions stated above are my own and not those of my current employer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8106  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 7:52 AM
YYCguys YYCguys is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
I'm no fan of Air Georgian but perhaps WS will pick them up as another Link operator.
I hope not! Air Georgian appears to have a bit of a tarnished reputation and if it links with WS, it might harm WS’s reputation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8107  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:45 PM
boeing767300 boeing767300 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 23
WESTJET B-787 WHAT IS IT DOING???

Westjet B-787 was delivered to YYC on January 17th and departed to YYZ on January 18th. According to R-24 the aircraft has not flown since and has yet to operate its first revenue flight. My understanding was that it would commence scheduled operations on February 8th on YYZ-YYC-YYZ. I am now hearing that date has been pushed to February 22nd!!! By comparison when Air Canada took delivery of their first 787 C-GHPQ on 18th May 2014 it operated a scheduled flight to YYZ-YUL-YYZ the following day. Shortly after that it operated daily YYZ-YHZ-YYZ presumably to build ETOPS hours. Compared to that the Westjet situation seems a little odd as one would think that building ETOPS hours would be a high priority. Not to mention getting bums in seats so that they can start paying for this high priced new toy. I am also hearing that the aircraft was damaged by a Menzies belt loader while in YYZ but haven't had confirmation yet from a usually reliable source. Might be just me but something is not right with this picture!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8108  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 7:20 PM
Rogie's Avatar
Rogie Rogie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing767300 View Post
WESTJET B-787 WHAT IS IT DOING???

Westjet B-787 was delivered to YYC on January 17th and departed to YYZ on January 18th. According to R-24 the aircraft has not flown since and has yet to operate its first revenue flight. My understanding was that it would commence scheduled operations on February 8th on YYZ-YYC-YYZ. I am now hearing that date has been pushed to February 22nd!!! By comparison when Air Canada took delivery of their first 787 C-GHPQ on 18th May 2014 it operated a scheduled flight to YYZ-YUL-YYZ the following day. Shortly after that it operated daily YYZ-YHZ-YYZ presumably to build ETOPS hours. Compared to that the Westjet situation seems a little odd as one would think that building ETOPS hours would be a high priority. Not to mention getting bums in seats so that they can start paying for this high priced new toy. I am also hearing that the aircraft was damaged by a Menzies belt loader while in YYZ but haven't had confirmation yet from a usually reliable source. Might be just me but something is not right with this picture!
They planned 787 service for February 20 for quite a while now, certainly before they took delivery.

They're also being very cautious, still stung by the 767 introduction:

https://wp.me/p2cMjz-iK
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8109  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 8:31 PM
YYCMatt YYCMatt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing767300 View Post
WESTJET B-787 WHAT IS IT DOING???
The plan from the beginning was first revenue flights on Feb 20. It’s been doing some practice turns at gates in YYZ as well as completing some Transport Canada requirements. It should be flying to YYC tomorrow for the first of a few non rev test flights so YYC can get some practice as well.

Everything is on schedule for the 20th as far as I know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8110  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 8:50 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,534
So, when they eventually start running these to Europe, will they be towing them, or use the 4 way swing gates do you think?

I guess the other option would be to never have them flip between domestic and international in Calgary, and only do that in Toronto which was international/domestic swing gates.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8111  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 9:16 PM
TheGreatestX TheGreatestX is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
So, when they eventually start running these to Europe, will they be towing them, or use the 4 way swing gates do you think?

I guess the other option would be to never have them flip between domestic and international in Calgary, and only do that in Toronto which was international/domestic swing gates.
Except the 787s won't be operating any international routes out of Toronto, this summer anyway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8112  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 12:37 AM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
So, when they eventually start running these to Europe, will they be towing them, or use the 4 way swing gates do you think?

I guess the other option would be to never have them flip between domestic and international in Calgary, and only do that in Toronto which was international/domestic swing gates.
For the upcoming summer schedule I believe LGW is 1 airplane, CDG/DUB in 1 airplane, and 1 airplane is the maintenance spare plus the YYC-YYZ-YYC runs to soak up idle time.

There will not be any reason to use the swing gates for WS 789 ops.
__________________
United Premier a Elite latte lifter. Climber of swanky bridges.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8113  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:52 AM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
That is a huge increase from 3 or 4 per day to 50 daily on DH3s.
That’s more than QF flies MEL-SYD.

Sorry couldn’t resist!
Haha definitely need to not blaze and post without remembering the editing!! 5 daily
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8114  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:18 AM
PPAR's Avatar
PPAR PPAR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 558
To defend WS, Delta spent 2 weeks flying their new A220s between NYC and BOS before the first revenue passenger flight. All in the name of crew training.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8115  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 10:43 AM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 3,500
Looks like AC has finalised its summer long haul schedules.

Both YYC-LHR and YYC-FRA will be operated by 789s.

The 77L is moving to YVR-PEK as the 77W operating that is shifting to YYZ-AMS.

YYC-FRA will be almost identical capacity with the 789 vs 77L just reduced premium cabins.

Plus YYC-YQL reducing from 6 to 3 daily and YYC-YXH from 5 to 2
daily but will be on DH3s.

YYC-YXC is cut and with YQF gone the 18 daily Air Georgian routes are being replaced by 5 50 seat Jazz DH3s.

Also looks like mainline back on YYC-YWG twice per day (frequency reduction from 4 to 3
Daily) and mainline appears to be taking over YHZ from Rouge.

Other changes:

YKA reducing from 3 to 2 per day but on Q400s
YLW increasing from 4 to 5 per day and all Q400s
YYJ reducing from 4 to 3 per day still all Q400s
YEG reducing from 12 to 10 per day
YQU reducing from 4 to 3 per day all Q400s
PDX reduxing from 2 to 1 per day as previously reported

Total AC ops will be down about 19 flights per day this summer mainly due to the Air Georgian contract being cut.

Last edited by Johnny Aussie; Feb 12, 2019 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8116  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:45 PM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 135
Seeing more AC 763 widebodies on the schedule (not booking engine) in summer two - at least two mid days and a red eye some days, much like winter. Kinda surprising but bodes will for continued signature service YYC-YYZ. Wonder if it's also a competitive response to WS putting a 789 on this route thru summer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8117  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 4:47 PM
YYCFlier YYCFlier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Not remotely surprising. We discussed why right in this thread when all the 7M8 first appeared.
Right - cargo, right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8118  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:51 PM
Cage Cage is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YYC
Posts: 2,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
So, when they eventually start running these to Europe, will they be towing them, or use the 4 way swing gates do you think?

I guess the other option would be to never have them flip between domestic and international in Calgary, and only do that in Toronto which was international/domestic swing gates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCFlier View Post
Seeing more AC 763 widebodies on the schedule (not booking engine) in summer two - at least two mid days and a red eye some days, much like winter. Kinda surprising but bodes will for continued signature service YYC-YYZ. Wonder if it's also a competitive response to WS putting a 789 on this route thru summer.
With the WS 789 about to enter service, its time to review widebody revenue metrics. Also this excellent video appeared in my youtube suggestions. Explains the widebody airline metrics way more succinctly than I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzB5xtGGsTc
__________________
United Premier a Elite latte lifter. Climber of swanky bridges.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8119  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 11:21 PM
cyeg66's Avatar
cyeg66 cyeg66 is offline
Centrist to the core.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: My wife's house.
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Total AC ops will be down about 19 flights per day this summer mainly due to the Air Georgian contract being cut.
That is a huuuuuuge drop in annual movements. Fuck. It’s back to sleep we go...😴😴😴
__________________
...a little Shih Tzu stew? Don't mind if I do...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8120  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 12:03 AM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 653
Lots of minor frequency cuts on other AC Express routes too, but generally replacing with higher capacity Q400s so pax #s won't be affected, but yes movement-wise might make a difference, but nothing major
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:13 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.