HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2601  
Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:12 PM
Oilkountry's Avatar
Oilkountry Oilkountry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
$130M back then for THF isn't worth the same today. Big time increase in materials costs as well to factor in, plus debt uss more expensive. It would likely cost $150M to build THF today.
Again... "time" doesn't necessarily reflect an increase in cost

wages for trades could be lower in 2021 than 2012

if demand for trades is high at the time of quoting they will come in higher if the Halifax construction market is stagnant at the time it will come in lower.



We got an over stock of towers manufactured in china last year because steel was so cheap. It's supply and demand and its across the board. You're stuck on time = more money

it's just not the case.

Yes i do understand Inflation and over time things get more expensive over time as our economy progresses but to just slap on 55 million on a 140M price tag because "meh" is just over optimistic speculation
__________________
I don't want to hear your opinions on facts

Last edited by Oilkountry; Feb 8, 2019 at 6:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2602  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 10:28 PM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,603
I'm not implying anything about Halifax's ability to pay for a new stadium though I can't see much enthusiasm with the likelihood the city and province will be responsible for 90% of the cost, if not the entirety of the project.

I do not see commencement of this project for at least 2 more years - 2021. THF started construction in 2012. That would be a nine-year difference. Labour costs will have risen rather significantly in that time, especially in a market with healthy population growth and reasonable growth in the local economy as pointed out by a poster. Construction materials will have also increased in price as well over the course of a decade.

It's likely the original proposal for a $175 million stadium would have resulted in a finished product similar product as THF, which itself is a step down from IGF, even without the roof.

I imagine a $135 million stadium will have fewer seats (20,000), some bench seats (shudder), only one big screen like THF but smaller like Ottawa's, lower quality individual seating (like TD Bank Place), lower quality finishes in the suites, club areas and fewer washrooms and point-of-sales concessions. In the end, I could see something in between Saputo Stadium and Tim Hortons Field in terms of quality.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2603  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 12:50 AM
king10 king10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I'm not implying anything about Halifax's ability to pay for a new stadium though I can't see much enthusiasm with the likelihood the city and province will be responsible for 90% of the cost, if not the entirety of the project.

I do not see commencement of this project for at least 2 more years - 2021. THF started construction in 2012. That would be a nine-year difference. Labour costs will have risen rather significantly in that time, especially in a market with healthy population growth and reasonable growth in the local economy as pointed out by a poster. Construction materials will have also increased in price as well over the course of a decade.

It's likely the original proposal for a $175 million stadium would have resulted in a finished product similar product as THF, which itself is a step down from IGF, even without the roof.

I imagine a $135 million stadium will have fewer seats (20,000), some bench seats (shudder), only one big screen like THF but smaller like Ottawa's, lower quality individual seating (like TD Bank Place), lower quality finishes in the suites, club areas and fewer washrooms and point-of-sales concessions. In the end, I could see something in between Saputo Stadium and Tim Hortons Field in terms of quality.
I’d think it would be somewhere in between the original BMO field($70M) and THF($140M) Saputo is extremely bare bones and came in at around $50M after renos.

Theres nothing wrong with that to start. If the CFL team is a success they can make improvements like what was done to BMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2604  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:02 PM
Oilkountry's Avatar
Oilkountry Oilkountry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
I’d think it would be somewhere in between the original BMO field($70M) and THF($140M) Saputo is extremely bare bones and came in at around $50M after renos.

Theres nothing wrong with that to start. If the CFL team is a success they can make improvements like what was done to BMO.
I'm a firm believer that you could build a well equipped 24000 seat stadium for under 100 Million. It would be that cheap aluminum BMO type stands but honestly who cares, Saputo seems to work great. You build a concrete building on one end that houses your dressing rooms ect, the ceiling of that building becomes a concourse floor. Hang some suites and a press box off the upper stands. the other side could be a hollow skeleton with 2 levels of seating, Do some party decks in the end zones, Jumbotron. Done

It would be like the Honda civic of stadiums but it would still look like a benz compared to what they have in Calgary or Montreal.
__________________
I don't want to hear your opinions on facts
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2605  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:11 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
It would be like the Honda civic of stadiums but it would still look like a benz compared to what they have in Calgary or Montreal.
When they fix the roof at Olympic Stadium, what are the odds that the Als would ever consider returning there? Even if were less than half full for games, it would still be such a comfortable place from a fan's perspective... plus by now I'm sure the nostalgia appeal of the place must exceed the shortcomings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2606  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:19 PM
king10 king10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
When they fix the roof at Olympic Stadium, what are the odds that the Als would ever consider returning there? Even if were less than half full for games, it would still be such a comfortable place from a fan's perspective... plus by now I'm sure the nostalgia appeal of the place must exceed the shortcomings.
zero.

They can't even sell out a 22K stadium. nevermind 60K. They aren't going to play a place with 40K empty seats.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2607  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:22 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
zero.

They can't even sell out a 22K stadium. nevermind 60K. They aren't going to play a place with 40K empty seats.
The only real argument for staying in a small stadium instead of a nicer, bigger one is because you're selling out and creating scarcity. That isn't happening anymore.

If you have empty seats either way, Olympic Stadium becomes more appealing. McGill has that certain urban charm, but let's face facts... it's a dumpier stadium than Olympic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2608  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:27 PM
JHikka's Avatar
JHikka JHikka is offline
Haru Urara
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 6,121
Alouettes have a lease at Molson until 2029.

https://www.mcgill.ca/channels/news/...stadium-109836
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2609  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:30 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Alouettes have a lease at Molson until 2029.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

FWIW, Olympic Park is a corporate partner of the team. Contrast that with the somewhat difficult at times relationship they've had with McGill. I'm not saying I'd necessarily bet on it happening, but I wouldn't say that moving back to the Big O is totally out of the question either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2610  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:53 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is online now
Blacque Jacque Shellacque
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 37,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks, I didn't know that.

FWIW, Olympic Park is a corporate partner of the team. Contrast that with the somewhat difficult at times relationship they've had with McGill. I'm not saying I'd necessarily bet on it happening, but I wouldn't say that moving back to the Big O is totally out of the question either.
The Alouettes club offices and training facilities are all at the Big O I am pretty sure.
__________________
Écoeure pas le peuple.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2611  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:56 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,621
^ They basically do everything but play their games there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2612  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:41 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 8,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The only real argument for staying in a small stadium instead of a nicer, bigger one is because you're selling out and creating scarcity. That isn't happening anymore.

If you have empty seats either way, Olympic Stadium becomes more appealing. McGill has that certain urban charm, but let's face facts... it's a dumpier stadium than Olympic.
I would imagine that there's little potential for a walk-up crowd at Olympic Stadium compared to McGill. Fans at the games are probably (I'm guessing) more casual than in Winnipeg or Regina and not committed enough to make the effort to get to Olympic Stadium.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2613  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:03 AM
Franco401's Avatar
Franco401 Franco401 is offline
Kneel before Irving
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southside Fredericton, NB
Posts: 843
I don't know the numbers but FWIW my cousin at McGill has gone to a couple Als games based on location alone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2614  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:01 PM
king10 king10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The only real argument for staying in a small stadium instead of a nicer, bigger one is because you're selling out and creating scarcity. That isn't happening anymore.

If you have empty seats either way, Olympic Stadium becomes more appealing. McGill has that certain urban charm, but let's face facts... it's a dumpier stadium than Olympic.
3000 empty seats isn't the same as 40,000 empty seats. Atmosphere is night and day. They aren't moving to olympic stadium man. Teams have been rightsizing for over a decade, not upsizing when they can't even sell out their current modest venue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2615  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:19 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
3000 empty seats isn't the same as 40,000 empty seats. Atmosphere is night and day. They aren't moving to olympic stadium man. Teams have been rightsizing for over a decade, not upsizing when they can't even sell out their current modest venue.
There's more to it than just size. Olympic Park is clearly a suitor, while McGill has been a somewhat less than enthusiastic landlord (even though they have received a massively upgraded stadium out of the deal - the place was falling apart and probably not far from the wrecking ball stage when the Als moved in back in 1998).

I'm not saying I'm betting on it happening, just that it's a possibility. Which it most definitely is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2616  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 8:02 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 17,026
It's simply not economical for the team or the building operator to move to a 60,000 seat stadium if you can barely sell 20,000 tickets.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2617  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 8:05 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,621
^ There's not much else going on at Olympic Stadium... they definitely have the dates available.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2618  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:20 PM
king10 king10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,474
Sure. Its a .00000000001% possibility.

They’ve had the dates available since 2004 when the expos left. That doesnt make it any more enticing.

Theres also a possbility the argos move back to Rogers Centre.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2619  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:34 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 22,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Sure. Its a .00000000001% possibility.

They’ve had the dates available since 2004 when the expos left. That doesnt make it any more enticing.

Theres also a possbility the argos move back to Rogers Centre.
Not at all likely given that Rogers effectively booted them out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2620  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:50 PM
king10 king10 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not at all likely given that Rogers effectively booted them out.
Yup not likely. But a .000000001% possibility just like the Als back to olympic stadium.

Also since rogers booted them out theyve become part owner of the argos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:58 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.