HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 3:06 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Singh might wear even more expensive suits than does Trudeau. Other than that, he is the biggest gift to the Liberal re-election campaign.
Scheer isn't far behind him in that regard.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I don`t know if I would agree with that.

He certainly isn`t charismatic or a grand speaker but he comes off as a rather decent fellow and had a good reputation before becoming party leader of being able to work with MPs from all sides of the House and in today's fractured political climate, that's no small feat. He is a refreshing change from dictatorial and ideological Harper. He is not strong or visionary enough to love but not offensive or ideological enough to hate.

I agree that Singh has been a gift from the electoral God's for the Liberals but not even Trudeau could have ever in his wildest dreams dreamt up the potential for a Conservative split but here it is courtesy of Bernier.

Last edited by ssiguy; Oct 30, 2018 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 5:37 AM
Transit Geek

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Kathleen Wynne also had very little to do with the SJW mindset. She was very much "old left"--about expanding the state to provide more social services, like the way leftist politicians of the 1950s and 1960s did. I mean look at her signature policies--hiking the minimum wage, increasing workers rights, more generous post-secondary assistance for low and middle income people, expanding rent control, expanding the scope of public health care, infrastructure development, etc.
Those were her signature policies in the last year of her mandate.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=vid;8361891]

Say what you want about Kathleen Wynne, but she was nowhere near as hypocritically vile and profit driven as Justin Trudeau has proven himself to be.

[QUOTE]

It is amazing how Wynne’s supporters manage to repress all memories of Wayne before 2017.

We have always been at war with East Asia.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Those were her signature policies in the last year of her mandate.
No. That list started in early 2016. OSAP reforms were announced in the 2016 budget.

Wynne was a champion of infrastructure expansion from the moment she hit the Premier's office; it was the centrepiece of the 2014 campaign.. along with what became the CPP expansion.

Fiscal issues constrained her in 2014-2016, but as the province's economy and finances improved things changed. It's clear that the "old left" style was her true colours.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I fail to see how anybody in the federal government is "cozying up to a radical fringe". For serious. Those kind of comments actually confuse the hell out of me because I have no idea where they're coming from.
I note how no one has been able to answer this question.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
No. That list started in early 2016. OSAP reforms were announced in the 2016 budget.

Wynne was a champion of infrastructure expansion from the moment she hit the Premier's office; it was the centrepiece of the 2014 campaign.. along with what became the CPP expansion.

Fiscal issues constrained her in 2014-2016, but as the province's economy and finances improved things changed. It's clear that the "old left" style was her true colours.
I tend to agree with this assessment. I suspect her undoing was that the Liberals had been in power too long and that attempting to outflank the NDP on the left didn't exactly work out in her favour.

That being said, when the government is compelled to fudge the numbers on the budget as both the PCs did in 2003 and Liberals did in the last years of their mandate is the off-putting to me. The continued expansion of Ontario's debt is one of the millstones around the province's neck - interest costs are such a poor use of taxpayer funds, especially when said debt is simply used to pay operating expenses.

As for Trudeau, he has a habit of taking something too far. In 2015, he went for gender parity in his cabinet and was largely lauded for it. In the last budget, the Liberal government mentioned gender 300+ times.

When he was elected, he largely gave off the vibe he'd be warmer than his predecessor (not that that's much of a bar) and initially, it worked. Instead of maturing into a warmer Prime Ministerial-type figure, he doubled down and it started to look silly (or patronizing, depending on your point of view) - the Superman costume in Parliament, the trip to India, etc.

For a government that initially looked like it might be more savvy from a PR point of view, they've made some dumb blunders. Blunders that Jean Chretien or Paul Martin would have easily avoided.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:11 PM
Blacque Jacque Shellacque

Quote:
I note how no one has been able to answer this question.
I actually missed your post.

I don't know if they're actually cozying up to the radical fringe that much but the perceptions are there and perceptions are important when it's time to vote.

Even stuff like marijuana legalization that was actually in their program is now seen by a lot of people as being rushed through for the "cool factor" and not being particularly well thought out.

Other things like "peoplekind", like giving 10 million dollars to Omar Khadr, like sending the message that our borders are open to illegal migrants who want to get away from Trump, like verbally interfering with the legal process in the Colten Boushie case, like "ambulance chaser" comments in the McClintic case, like certain MPs cozying up to radicals in various communities, etc.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
AFAIK the JT Liberals have definitely not applauded the Bolsonaro victory. He even got less than the usual congratulations.
Minister Freeland issued a standard congratularoty message, but nothing to indicate that the PM has yet spoken to Bolsonaro.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Really? The image he's cultivating is more dad jeans and gingham shirts, I thought.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:29 PM
Blacque Jacque Shellacque

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Minister Freeland issued a standard congratularoty message, but nothing to indicate that the PM has yet spoken to Bolsonaro.
A news report I heard found it noteworthy that Freeland's message was very "cold" and did not even mention Bolsonaro by name. Which is uncommon.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:34 PM

Quote:
A news report I heard found it noteworthy that Freeland's message was very "cold" and did not even mention Bolsonaro by name. Which is uncommon.
True. She congratulated Brazilians, not Bolsonaro.
https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affa...-election.html

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:51 PM

Quote:
I actually missed your post.

I don't know if they're actually cozying up to the radical fringe that much but the perceptions are there and perceptions are important when it's time to vote.

Even stuff like marijuana legalization that was actually in their program is now seen by a lot of people as being rushed through for the "cool factor" and not being particularly well thought out.

Other things like "peoplekind", like giving 10 million dollars to Omar Khadr, like sending the message that our borders are open to illegal migrants who want to get away from Trump, like verbally interfering with the legal process in the Colten Boushie case, like "ambulance chaser" comments in the McClintic case, like certain MPs cozying up to radicals in various communities, etc.
Yeah, those things too.

It gives a very amateur-hour feel to the government. Some of this stuff was so easily avoidable and a firmer line from the government would have appealed to a broader section of the Canadian public.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:26 PM

Is it even worth mentioning that "peoplekind" was not a serious comment (although I guess politicians should avoid sarcasm).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is it even worth mentioning that "peoplekind" was not a serious comment (although I guess politicians should avoid sarcasm).
It had an over-earnest feel to it. Given the source and the audience it was aimed at when Trudeau said it, there was legitimate debate to how serious he was.

Like I mentioned before, dumb PR moves. Stuff that's easily avoidable. If you have to explain you were joking after the fact, it's a dud.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 3:33 PM

Interesting that the Government has "nominated" former GG David Johnston to be Canada's Commissioner responsible for the 2019 leaders' debates. To be considered by Parliamentary committee, even though they could apparently just appoint him. "Sunny ways" in practice, or some devious plot that I haven't figured out yet?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 3:33 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
ven stuff like marijuana legalization that was actually in their program is now seen by a lot of people as being rushed through for the "cool factor" and not being particularly well thought out.
It doesn't have the feel of being rushed at all - the rollout, outside of Ontario, has been a pretty big success so far. The police said they were ready for it. Consumers seem to be embracing it. So far, it's been nothing but a win.

Quote:
Other things like "peoplekind",

Quote:
like giving 10 million dollars to Omar Khadr,
Similar payouts were made by Harper - that's where the figure came from.

Quote:
like sending the message that our borders are open to illegal migrants who want to get away from Trump,
No one did that. Ever.

Quote:
like verbally interfering with the legal process in the Colten Boushie case,
If you understood the outrage over that case in the indigenous community, you'd have a different attitude about that. He had to say something.

Quote:
like "ambulance chaser" comments in the McClintic case
Because the Conservatives weren't playing politics with that case . She was still incarcerated, and they made it seem like she was getting way with murder.

Quote:
like certain MPs cozying up to radicals in various communities
Because as we know, there are no bible thumpers in the Conservatives or hard left wing radicals in the NDP.

This government has made some stupid decisions - all governments do. Overall they've been relatively successful, and don't seem any more amateur than other recent governments.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 3:36 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
For a government that initially looked like it might be more savvy from a PR point of view, they've made some dumb blunders. Blunders that Jean Chretien or Paul Martin would have easily avoided.
I think you may be looking back on both of those governments with rose coloured glasses when it comes to media blunders.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
I think you may be looking back on both of those governments with rose coloured glasses when it comes to media blunders.
One might like to ask (for example) how many pieces of this Government's legislation have been found by the Courts to violate Canada's Constitution? Or perhaps, how many of this Government's OIC appointees have proved to be problematic? Media blunders are just one category.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada