HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On my local Radio-Canada morning show a few minutes ago, Hélène Buzetti from Le Devoir was discussing the Judy Wilson-Raybould/SNC Lavalin issue.

Now neither Buzetti nor Le Devoir could be called fans of the current PMO or of Trudeauist Liberals.

But what she said basically backed up what some of us have been saying about the former Minister of Justice: the demotion talk was in the air long before this SNC Lavalin thing. Buzetti confirmed what I had heard through the public service and political grapevine here about low ministerial output/performance, conflicts with staff and colleagues, irascibility, high turnover in her office, international trips with very light ministerial schedules, etc.
Those characteristics describe a number of Ministers who managed to not get demoted. But if in fact she has so little capacity then why did it take them 3.5 years to figure that out, and why is she still in cabinet at all?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:15 AM
unignorable quasi-mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Those characteristics describe a number of Ministers who managed to not get demoted. But if in fact she has so little capacity then why did it take them 3.5 years to figure that out, and why is she still in cabinet at all?
Because it's 2015.

Important note: I say this in jest.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:19 AM
Blacque Jacque Shellacque

Quote:
I honestly have no idea. Perhaps she was worse than others? Or wasn't a team player in Cabinet? There was a similar "word on the street" about Mélanie Joly.

Anyway, I don't really have anything for or against Judy Wilson-Raybauld. Just reporting what I am hearing and opining on what it might mean politically.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:32 AM

Quote:
I honestly have no idea. Perhaps she was worse than others? Or wasn't a team player in Cabinet? There was a similar "word on the street" about Mélanie Joly.

Anyway, I don't really have anything for or against Judy Wilson-Raybauld. Just reporting what I am hearing and opining on what it might mean politically.
The number one strategy in containing a scandal is to avoid answers that lead to more questions. Talking points that suggest she was demoted for cause raises a lot of questions that probably don’t have answers the public or media would find credible.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:53 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:58 PM
Beer me Captain

On Monday
Quote:
"Her presence in cabinet should actually speak for itself," the prime minister had said Monday.
On Tuesday
Quote:
With a heavy heart I have submitted my letter of resignation to the Prime Minister as a member of Cabinet...
Perhaps it does ...

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
On Monday
On Tuesday
Perhaps it does ...
So the Trudeau/Butts team have basically fired two women and zero men from their cabinet.
So much for the 2015 Feminist agenda eh?

(I'm kinda talking out of my arse here, but I don't recall any men being fired from cabinet. Someone can correct me if they want)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sunny ways? Sunny days???

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
That's a surprise and a disappointment as Jody Wilson-Raybould is my MP.

So either the PMO asked something so untenable she wouldn't compromise her principles (lie about SNC?) or the PMO had proof she leaked the story and wanted her out.

Either way a huge setback for Trudeau in terms of his image in BC on many fronts. If she really wanted to screw the Liberals she would join the Greens. If they get good candidates in October they could easily steal or deny the Liberals a lot of BC seats.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:38 PM

Does nobody in the PMO have a clue?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:42 PM

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So the Trudeau/Butts team have basically fired two women and zero men from their cabinet.
So much for the 2015 Feminist agenda eh?

(I'm kinda talking out of my arse here, but I don't recall any men being fired from cabinet. Someone can correct me if they want)
If you are talking about Wilson-Raybauld and Joly they were demoted as opposed to being kicked out of the Cabinet. Allegedly for ministerial performance issues.

Can't recall the details of any other JT cabinet shuffles off-hand...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:48 PM

So apparently Maxime B thought he should get back in the news cycle by defending blackface?

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/st...33349227409408

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Does nobody in the PMO have a clue?
If this keeps up, all Scheer will have to do is prove he can walk and chew gum at the same time and he'll be our next PM.

Hell, here in NB all he would have to do is rail on about the carbon tax and he could win seven of the 10 seats in a cake walk.

Also, if Bernier is so tone deaf to defend blackface, then he won't be much of a threat in the next election either..........

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:04 PM

Interesting tweets from Kai Nagata:

Quote:
In the last few days we've seen a clumsy attempt by anonymous sources in the PMO to smear Jody Wilson-Raybould.

Soon you're going to hear how those overgrown frat boys in the Liberal inner circle treated her. I'm thinking of one minister in particular.

It's not my story to tell, but if half of what I've heard over the years is true, Canadians will be shocked and disgusted.

Jody (and her lawyer) now hold the Trudeau government's entire Real Change™ brand in their hands – the feminism, the reconciliation, all of it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If this keeps up, all Scheer will have to do is prove he can walk and chew gum at the same time and he'll be our next PM.

Hell, here in NB all he would have to do is rail on about the carbon tax and he could win seven of the 10 seats in a cake walk.
I'm not exactly 'man of the people', but I'm not sensing anger to the Trudeau Liberals or any brand-name recognition to Scheer himself, except among people who care about politics.

I'm not sure we're exactly a reliable guide to Canada at large - we're too 'inside the bubble' politically and get wrapped up in ourselves.

Most people don't know/don't care about various ministers and whatever small-scale fiasco is going on at the time. Unless there's a national awareness beyond (ex. AdScam, Mike Duffy's Senatorial expenses) or the leader has a positive/negative image (JT's ascendancy to the Liberal Party leadership and subsequent election or Stephen Harper's dourness), I don't feel as if a big change in government is coming.

Scheer is bland. The Trudeau Liberals' failings aren't sticking to them IMO. I think election 2019 will pretty much come down to whether the Liberals hold their majority or dance with a minority.

Admittedly, this is just a gut feeling and not scientific at all.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:29 PM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Unless there's a national awareness beyond (ex. AdScam, Mike Duffy's Senatorial expenses) or the leader has a positive/negative image (JT's ascendancy to the Liberal Party leadership and subsequent election or Stephen Harper's dourness), I don't feel as if a big change in government is coming.
It could be happening, and it wouldn't even be the work of Scheer.

I checked the news item on my phone. Lo and behold, 3 (CBC, Global News, National Post) out of 4 (the remaining one being Huffington Post) were talking about Wilson-Raybould's resignation.

Other than political posturing, perhaps this fiasco really does warrant further (or top-to-bottom) investigation.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
It could be happening, and it wouldn't even be the work of Scheer.

I checked the news item on my phone. Lo and behold, 3 (CBC, Global News, National Post) out of 4 (the remaining one being Huffington Post) were talking about Wilson-Raybould's resignation.
I'm not sure about what percentage of the population pays as much attention to politics as we do. 10%? 15%?

Also, what percentage of that is willing to change their vote? Die-hards will vote for their party regardless.

So, the mushy middle (who are generally fairly disinterested in politics) is who will decide the election. Stuff like the last few pages doesn't seem to resonate with them. I doubt an 'average' Canadian could name Judy Wilson-Raybauld's cabinet position or who Maxime Bernier is.

That's the group I'm not sensing a lot from. They don't care about day-to-day political stuff, unless it's big.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I'm not sure about what percentage of the population pays as much attention to politics as we do. 10%? 15%?

Also, what percentage of that is willing to change their vote? Die-hards will vote for their party regardless.

So, the mushy middle (who are generally fairly disinterested in politics) is who will decide the election. Stuff like the last few pages doesn't seem to resonate with them. I doubt an 'average' Canadian could name Judy Wilson-Raybauld's cabinet position or who Maxime Bernier is.

That's the group I'm not sensing a lot from. They don't care about day-to-day political stuff, unless it's big.
And the challenge for the opposition, is to make this thing big. So far, IMO, it isn't. At least not sufficiently so.

All of which to say that I totally agree with your analysis.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
If you are talking about Wilson-Raybauld and Joly they were demoted as opposed to being kicked out of the Cabinet. Allegedly for ministerial performance issues.

Can't recall the details of any other JT cabinet shuffles off-hand...
Joly was the other one I couldn't think of. But you are correct both were demoted for performance issues. Since I know nothing of the world of culture and cancon I can only defer to people who were closer to that portfolio. As for JWR, the legal parsing and statements from unnamed sources cast a cloud of doubt on the PMO's reasoning for the demotion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada