HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:44 PM
Transit Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Not a problem, we'll just ask them politely to stop doing that. We'll even say 'please' to show how serious we are.
Nah, this is how it's done.

"I'm sorry, but this is Canadian territory."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 7:54 PM

It is pretty clear which way this is going to go. Maybe that's why the PM met with the head of Telus while he's here in Vancouver:

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned U.S. allies on Monday against deploying equipment from Chinese telecoms gear manufacturer Huawei on their soil, saying it would make it more difficult for Washington to “partner alongside them.”

“We want to make sure we identify (to) them the opportunities and the risks of using that equipment,” Pompeo told reporters during a visit to the Hungarian capital, Budapest.

Hungary is the first stop in Pompeo’s trip to Central Europe that also includes Slovakia and Poland, part of an effort to make up for a lack of U.S. engagement in the region that opened the door to more Chinese and Russian influence, administration officials say.

Washington is concerned about China’s growing presence, in particular the expansion of Huawei Technologies, the world’s biggest maker of telecoms equipment, in Hungary and Poland.

The United States and its Western allies believe Huawei’s gear could be used for espionage, and see its expansion into Central Europe as a way to gain a foothold in the EU market...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...e-complicates/

Last edited by whatnext; Feb 12, 2019 at 5:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 10:18 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Did you read the entire article you linked to?
Yes. I'm not denying he's in one of these camps. But the fake news is that he was tortured to death, which he was not.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:37 PM

This SNC -Lavalin case is also going to have an effect on foreign affairs. Trudeau has, very rightly, refused to cave to China's demands of extradition to the US as he has stated that Canada follows the rule of law and legal matters should be free of political influence. Well it's going to be hard for him to tell the Chinese that after this SNC revelation. The Chinese will simply say that if you had no problem inteferring in a legal case for SNC then you should have no problem with interferring in the Huawei and cancel the extradition to the US and instead send Meng back to China.

Last edited by ssiguy; Feb 12, 2019 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:33 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
This SNC -Lavalin case is also going to have an effect on foreign affairs. Trudea has, very rightly, refused to cave to China's demands of extradition to the US as he has stated that Canada foloows the rule of law and legal matters should be free of political influence. Well it's going to be hard for him to tell the Chinese that after this SNC revelation. The Chinese will simply say that if you had no problem inteferring in a legal case for SNC then you should have no problem with interferring in the Huawei and cancel the extradition to the US and instead send Meng back to China.
Yup. Liberals may have painted themselves into a corner now.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
This SNC -Lavalin case is also going to have an effect on foreign affairs. Trudea has, very rightly, refused to cave to China's demands of extradition to the US as he has stated that Canada foloows the rule of law and legal matters should be free of political influence. Well it's going to be hard for him to tell the Chinese that after this SNC revelation. The Chinese will simply say that if you had no problem inteferring in a legal case for SNC then you should have no problem with interferring in the Huawei and cancel the extradition to the US and instead send Meng back to China.
Lets not forget the meddling of the PMO in the VAdm Norman case as well.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:01 PM

Opinion piece from today's National Post:

Martin Patriquin: It's time for Canadians to stand up to China and boycott Huawei products
Huawei’s Hockey Night in Canada gambit is part and parcel of an initiative to convince us that the company is but a producer of slick smartphones and advanced technology equipment

On Dec. 1, the day on which Canadian authorities arrested Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou on behalf of U.S. investigators, Hockey Night in Canada rang in with that familiar brassy jingle. After Don Cherry performed a mildly queasy fashion commentary of besuited players arriving for the night’s Toronto-Minnesota game, the HNIC hosts hashed out the scandal that was the Maple Leafs’ six-year, $6.9 million contract for underperforming forward William Nylander....

...Such an expensive branding effort would be fine, except for this: the Chinese government, to which Huawei is intimately tied, has been virulently anti-Canadian as of late.

The Chinese government’s harsh and arbitrary actions on behalf of the company, exercised solely to put pressure on Canada to release Meng, is why Huawei should be banished from the visual real estate of the country’s most enduring hockey program. As well, Canadians should boycott Huawei products....

....The feeling is reciprocal. According to a Chinese statute enacted in 2017, all Chinese companies must “support, co-operate with, and collaborate in national intelligence work and guard the secrecy of national intelligence work they are aware of.”

It’s why many companies and countries alike have been undeterred by Huawei’s schtick and Chinese government pressure. The four main U.S. carriers don’t carry Huawei smartphones; AT&T, one of the four, recently reneged on a deal to sell Huawei’s flagship phone. Vodaphone, one of the world’s largest carriers, said it would temporarily stop buying the company’s 5G equipment, citing security concerns. Last summer, the Australian government banned Huawei and Chinese telecommunications equipment company ZTE from its 5G network for the same reason...

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/mar...uawei-products

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:27 PM

the telecom ceos in NA are getting desparate

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Yup. Liberals may have painted themselves into a corner now.
Well it COULD hurt the Liberals but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the Conservatives, NDP, or Greens wouldn't have done the exact same thing. The reason I say it 'could' hurt the Liberals is because it may cost them some votes in much of Canada but could help them in Quebec with it's crucial 77 seats. The issue is playing out quite differently in Quebec than it is in the RoC.

While Quebecers also don't like the idea of another large corporation trying to circumvent the law by using political connections, they also view it as the Liberals going to bat for a Montreal based company that has thousands of employees especially in Quebec. The whole affair leaves Quebecers with a bad taste in their mouths but unlike in the RofC {and particularly the West} they may see it as a better option than the prospect of ruining the company and hence the resulting thousands of layoffs and the ruination of one of Canada's few international corporate success stories.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:32 PM

Gerald Butts is the mastermind behind Trudeau’s fake persona. If he resigns in scandal, the election dynamics change drastically.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:41 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Well it COULD hurt the Liberals but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that the Conservatives, NDP, or Greens wouldn't have done the exact same thing. The reason I say it 'could' hurt the Liberals is because it may cost them some votes in much of Canada but could help them in Quebec with it's crucial 77 seats. The issue is playing out quite differently in Quebec than it is in the RoC.

While Quebecers also don't like the idea of another large corporation trying to circumvent the law by using political connections, they also view it as the Liberals going to bat for a Montreal based company that has thousands of employees especially in Quebec. The whole affair leaves Quebecers with a bad taste in their mouths but unlike in the RofC {and particularly the West} they may see it as a better option than the prospect of ruining the company and hence the resulting thousands of layoffs and the ruination of one of Canada's few international corporate success stories.
while it is unfortunate when a large company fails and causes financial hardship for hundreds if not thousands, the company has been the poster child of arrogance, corruption and incompetence for quite some time. I’ve worked as a subcontractor to SNC a few times and they have all been awful experiences. The engineers and project managers I interacted with were the pinnacle of incompetence yet they somehow fancied themselves above reproach.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 10:36 PM

I don't think you are telling Canadians {or even Quebecers for that matter} anything they already don't know. People in Quebec however are willing plug their nose and look the other ways when there are thousands of jobs on the line. People will make up excuses to justify their employment and cities will do the same to maintain their industries. Vancouver is also such an example where provincial and municiple governments simply looked the other way in spite of the massive money laundering taking place because it helped the crucial housing sector and that means jobs.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 11:17 PM

SNC employs almost 9,000 across Canada. I think they have a presence in the GTA, Alberta, and B.C., in addition to the Montreal HQ. I see in the media today that SNC is allegedly implicated in another case of corruption in Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
SNC employs almost 9,000 across Canada. I think they have a presence in the GTA, Alberta, and B.C., in addition to the Montreal HQ. I see in the media today that SNC is allegedly implicated in another case of corruption in Montreal.
SNC is far from the only EPC around. Stantec and AECOM could easily pick up the pieces when SNC fails. This scandal could be even worse than a ban from government contracts in terms of turning off potential customers.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
while it is unfortunate when a large company fails and causes financial hardship for hundreds if not thousands, the company has been the poster child of arrogance, corruption and incompetence for quite some time. I’ve worked as a subcontractor to SNC a few times and they have all been awful experiences. The engineers and project managers I interacted with were the pinnacle of incompetence yet they somehow fancied themselves above reproach.
Yep, its not like the work in Canada won't get done by somebody else if SNC goes away.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 10:24 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Don't know which thread to ask this in, so I'll put it here. I'm really curious how this new flood of 20-somethings from China have obtained visas to work in all of the Chinese restaurants and supermarkets in Toronto and Waterloo (and presumably Vancouver)? We hear how it's virtually impossible, say, for an American to simply skip over the border and get a job in a restaurant in Toronto, but there's been an epic influx of young Chinese kids staffing all of these new Chinese businesses. How are they managing it?

I've long wanted to ask them at the restaurants I frequent, but it's an awkward topic to strike up in casual conversation, especially in the current climate of diplomatic tension. The sad reality is that a Chinese-speaking Westerner like myself would probably be viewed with suspicion were he to ask something so pointedly political.
Update: I can confirm that one of the younger servers at a Szechuan restaurant in Waterloo is working part-time while studying at the university. Maybe my impressions are totally off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I find this extreme reserve to be amusing. (Not saying it's unusual for someone like you.)

If you're dying to ask something, and the only downside is that a random person may "view you with suspicion" (big deal...), why not go for it?

Let's reverse the roles: if I'm in China and some local who's clearly Han Chinese comes to me and candidly/politely asks me in fluent French some question in order to get my perspective regarding whatever "delicate" business regarding China-Canada relations after correctly identifying me as Canadian... do you think I'd tell him to piss off?!?!? I'll actually be impressed; that's a very favorable first impression (i.e. speaking my language fluently definitely trumps saying something slightly gauche in it; the result is a net positive).
Canada is a low context culture where things are easily taken at face value. Chinese society is the opposite, in that every interaction is context sensitive. Nothing is ever "oh, shrug, some random guy is just making conversation with me while ordering noodles." A Chinese-speaking white guy asking pointed questions about immigration status would come off as highly suspicious, and would most likely breed distrust and gain me a reputation for being overly curious in a bad way.

Turns out history didn't end in 1989. The Soviet era is now back in a modified Chinese form. There weren't all that many Soviet exchange students, but there are hundreds of thousands of them from China who, while not so ideologically hidebound, are nevertheless extremely careful not to say or do anything that might threaten their families back home. Caution is always the order of the day.

Not that most of them would want to do such a thing anyway. Witness the threatening backlash and vitriol against the Tibetan student president at the University of Toronto's Scarborough campus, who they accuse of not showing her true colours as a Tibetan activist before the election, and a Uighur activist who spoke at McMaster. Where the Soviets were ideologically in lockstep, the Chinese are culturally and ethnically proud in a way that far supersedes any economic policy their leaders might throw at them.

I do the breezy, chatty thing well. Asking if someone is working part-time as a student might be something I'll venture to ask more, just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:10 AM
what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Gerald Butts is the mastermind behind Trudeau’s fake persona. If he resigns in scandal, the election dynamics change drastically.
That's interesting, what do you mean?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Mr Butts resigned from a job, he didn’t die. His relationship with the PM, I suspect, endures.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Mr Butts resigned from a job, he didn’t die. His relationship with the PM, I suspect, endures.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that Mr Butts will be closely involved in the upcoming election. His day to day access to the PM and PMO will be severely limited as well as his ability to daily influence the current government's policy.

Another question, will he be even more annoying on Twitter now?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:34 PM

[QUOTE=VANRIDERFAN;8480637 ...

Another question, will he be even more annoying on Twitter now?[/QUOTE]

Would that even be possible?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada