HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 3:39 PM
Blacque Jacque Shellacque

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
There is a difference between law and practice on that one....
This is likely true when it comes to what he said about law vs. practice on this front in Quebec as well!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
I think this is unique to NL (please correct me if I'm wrong), but Licence Plates stay with the vehicle, and not the owner. You buy a new car, you get a new plate.
That's how it works in California too.

Quebec on the other hand has a very low bar for issuing new plates and I suspect many new cars end up with brand new plates (if the older one's not exactly sold yet, for example) while nearly all used cars that get transferred also end up with brand new plates. So we're going through the alphabet faster than we need to...

Newfoundland's system is smarter, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:13 PM

Still with plates...

It's been mentioned on here that Newfoundland did not have "vanity" plates. Not sure what that means - if it's that you can't have a special wording on your plate (like ACAJACK) or if it's that you can't have sports teams, the Greenpeace logo or the university you went to, etc. on your plate.

In terms of these types of personalized plates, Quebec was until last July AFAIK (I have doubts about NL now) the only province or state in Canada and the U.S. where you couldn't choose the letters and numbers on your plate (subject to a vetting and of course extra fees).

But the previous government changed this and now I could get a nice shiny plate that says ACAJACK if I wanted to shell out the cash.

Quebec still does not offer the possibility of adding sports team logos or other stuff to your plate. Unlike Ontario which has quite a few options, including even the Star Trek shield.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We don't offer them because "an ancient computer system at Motor Vehicle Registration just can't handle it." That was 2016, could be different now.

There are specialty plates - for veterans, firefighters, classic cars, etc.

And since we only display plates on the rear of the vehicle, you can buy all kinds of decorative ones for the front - be it the Republic flag, "Downtownie", "Gone Fishin'!", or whatever else.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
And since we only display plates on the rear of the vehicle, you can buy all kinds of decorative ones for the front - be it the Republic flag, "Downtownie", "Gone Fishin'!", or whatever else.
Those were a thing here from the mid 80s to the mid 90s, then for some reason they brought back the requirement to have both front and rear license plates.

For a brief while, every second car on the road had front tags roughly as humorous and witty as these:

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
We don't offer them because "an ancient computer system at Motor Vehicle Registration just can't handle it." That was 2016, could be different now.

There are specialty plates - for veterans, firefighters, classic cars, etc.

Quebec also only has rear plates, as does Nova Scotia. Ontario and New Brunswick have both front and back. Can't remember what other provinces do off hand.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

Quebec on the other hand has a very low bar for issuing new plates and I suspect many new cars end up with brand new plates (if the older one's not exactly sold yet, for example) while nearly all used cars that get transferred also end up with brand new plates. So we're going through the alphabet faster than we need to...

Problem with Newfoundland's system is that abuse is rampant. Someone will pick up an old beater car, 'forget' to transfer the registration (which requires an inspection, and payment of the sales tax), and drive it until its breaks or gets impounded. Rinse and Repeat.

EDIT: Just seen this on CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ates-1.5006169

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:08 PM

Alberta only has rear plates as well.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:09 PM

Now that I think of it PEI is rear plate only.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:

That's a small price to pay IMO.

I'd rather take my plates off the car and know that the new owner will soon get a bunch of questions from the authorities should they drive around without plates. Sure, they might not register it (I tend to only deal with people at the MTO office when I sell a car) but with the plates in my possession, I can make a legitimate claim to "I sold it" without a bunch of questions.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:18 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Problem with Newfoundland's system is that abuse is rampant. Someone will pick up an old beater car, 'forget' to transfer the registration (which requires an inspection, and payment of the sales tax), and drive it until its breaks or gets impounded. Rinse and Repeat.
Wait, how can this possibly happen? The seller of the old beater car would never agree to it.

Plus, even if you managed to find the one seller dumb enough to not realize that the cash back from the balance of his year of prepaid registration hasn't arrived, you can't prepay for more than a year, so if all the stars are perfectly aligned for you, you'll be lucky enough to find that exceptional seller on the day after he renewed his plates, but even then you'll only be good for a year - after that the automated cameras will immediately catch you and you'll lose the car and your ability to drive until your really heavy fine is paid.

There's GOT to be something that NL does really weirdly for it to be a loophole somewhere in there... like, it's customary for people to just send $15,000 to the DMV to pay in advance for the next 100 years of licensing of their 2008 Corolla, then when they sell the car they just sell it without bothering to get anything back. In that case, then yeah, there's a benefit to trying, as the new buyer, to keep the car untransferred.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Wait, how can this possibly happen? The seller of the old beater car would never agree to it.

Plus, even if you managed to find the one seller dumb enough to not realize that the cash back from the balance of his year of prepaid registration hasn't arrived, you can't prepay for more than a year, so if all the stars are perfectly aligned for you, you'll be lucky enough to find that exceptional seller on the day after he renewed his plates, but even then you'll only be good for a year - after that the automated cameras will immediately catch you and you'll lose the car and your ability to drive until your really heavy fine is paid.

There's GOT to be something that NL does really weirdly for it to be a loophole somewhere in there...
There are a number of people who don't care what happens to their car after they've got the cash, or just assume the next owner will register it.

So, you plunk $500 down for the beater, drive out of the previous owner's driveway (with plates still on the car) and don't bother registering it. As long as the sticker is valid (for up to a year), there's nothing obviously wrong to the cops - it's a registered vehicle.

Now, a car with no plates tends to get attention from the cops, since most people tend to remove their plates when the sale is complete in places like Ontario.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
There are a number of people who don't care what happens to their car after they've got the cash, or just assume the next owner will register it.

So, you plunk $500 down for the beater, drive out of the previous owner's driveway (with plates still on the car) and don't bother registering it. As long as the sticker is valid (for up to a year), there's nothing obviously wrong to the cops - it's a registered vehicle.

Now, a car with no plates tends to get attention from the cops, since most people tend to remove their plates when the sale is complete in places like Ontario.
Yeah, so that's what I said - if you're lucky enough to find one of those rare super-careless people, you'll get a fraction of a year of free registration. Big deal...

I have managed a few times to convince sellers here in Quebec to let me leave with their plates and their vehicle (and the standard "power of attorney" DMV form signed by them allowing me to transfer the vehicle later at any DMV office without them being present) - usually the main reason for us to agree to this is that I'm not from the area and the DMV is closed - because I have special talent for getting strangers to trust me, but in all cases the seller mentioned they'd contact the DMV in a week or so to confirm the car's not in their name anymore, and asked me to give them my word I'd destroy the plate that's registered to their name.

I can't fathom a seller not doing at least that.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:34 PM
Starring as himself

Do any provinces ever still do complete replacements of all plates? Ontario hasn’t done that since 1973. It used to be that everyone got new plates every year.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
I can't fathom a seller not doing at least that.
Call me a cynic, but I've known enough people who were either far too trusting or ignorant to have that sort of faith.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Do any provinces ever still do complete replacements of all plates? Ontario hasn’t done that since 1973. It used to be that everyone got new plates every year.
Nope, unless there's some extenuating circumstances, like Ontario's delaminating licence plate fiasco.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
We were going to come out with a new licence plate design and numbering system, but it got political and the previous PC gov't cancelled the plan.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:50 PM
HVAC guru

BC and Ontario are the only provinces with anti-SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) legislation. This protects individuals and groups from costly and time consuming vexatious lawsuits (otherwise known as libel chill) intended to silence criticism and discourage participation within the public realm. These types of lawsuits are prevalent in Alberta. The provincial government is being lobbied to add anti-SLAPP legislation to provincial law.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:59 PM
613er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Nope, unless there's some extenuating circumstances, like Ontario's delaminating licence plate fiasco.
So there is a problem with Ontario's plates after all. I noticed many of them are either peeling or fading, which we rarely see in other provinces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada