HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Should Turks and Caicos join Canada?
Yes 58 69.05%
No 26 30.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
They would not be talking about Eastern European countries, who are much poorer that TandC, in this way is where there racism is showing.
How can you know that? I'm sure if Canada was considering annexing Moldova, you'd hear plenty of complaints about how that "shithole country" would just drag us down and that we don't need that at all and there's nothing in it for us.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am pretty sure most people had or have no idea about the Turks and Caicos' demographics. Though yes many will probably assume the residents are mostly black, though if you asked Canadians randomly you'd probably get guesses that are all over the map.
If most don't know the demographic why are they assuming TandC is poor and improvish when, like most of the Caribbean, and especially in TandC it is not

The answer is racism because the population is mostly Black

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
How can you know that? I'm sure if Canada was considering annexing Moldova, you'd hear plenty of complaints about how that "shithole country" would just drag us down and that we don't need that at all and there's nothing in it for us.
But Moldova is a poor country when compared to TandC. My point why are people here calling TandC impoverish but wouldn't call Poland, Greece, Pourtugal and Croatia impoverish if not due to racism

GDP per capita for Moldova is $3,600
GDP per capita for TandC $25,000
GDP per capita for Portugal $23,000
GDP per capita for Greece $21,000
GDP per capita for Poland $15,300
GDP per capita for Croatia $15,140

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:19 PM
Blacque Jacque Shellacque

Quote:
If most don't know the demographic why are they assuming TandC is poor and improvish when, like most of the Caribbean, and especially in TandC it is not

The answer is racism because the population is mostly Black
Again, if you ask most people randomly about the Caribbean most people don't instantly think of countries that are rich. Rightly or wrongly, fairly or unfairly, the image is of relatively poor or even very poor places (Haiti, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, etc.) and also places that are somewhat sketchy in terms of personal safety.

Even most of the richer islands have had at least a few sensationalized murder cases involving Canadian (or American) tourists as victims.

I am not saying that it's right, but it is what it is.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I don't even know what % black, white, or other races Turks and Caicos is. Did race even come up until the mind reading racism police came on the scene?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Again, if you ask most people randomly about the Caribbean most people don't instantly think of countries that are rich. Rightly or wrongly, fairly or unfairly, the image is of relatively poor or even very poor places (Haiti, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, etc.) and also places that are somewhat sketchy in terms of personal safety.

Even most of the richer islands have had at least a few sensationalized murder cases involving Canadian (or American) tourists as victims.

I am not saying that it's right, but it is what it is.
Excluding Western Europe, Northern North America, Japan and Australia, the Caribbean Islands are probably the most develop place on the earth.
Haiti maybe poor, but it very much the outliner

HDI map

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:30 PM

Yep, there's a reason why the backpacking crowd generally avoids the region that is known for all-inclusives and the jet-set yacht crowd. The place is pretty darn expensive and COL is high. But people here see a few news reports about a few murders in Jamaica or Earthquakes in Haiti and they think it's the whole place is like Compton-on-the-sea.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:38 PM

Venezuela better than Columbia? I think that discredits your map right there.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Yep, there's a reason why the backpacking crowd generally avoids the region that is known for all-inclusives and the jet-set yacht crowd. The place is pretty darn expensive and COL is high. But people here see a few news reports about a few murders in Jamaica or Earthquakes in Haiti and they think it's the whole place is like Compton-on-the-sea.
And they don't even recognize their racism

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
The map may be a little outdated as Venezuela did have a higher HDI prior to the whole Maduro mess of the past few years. Still doesn't discount the whole map though.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't even know what % black, white, or other races Turks and Caicos is. Did race even come up until the mind reading racism police came on the scene?
Datz waysiss!

Quote:
But Moldova is a poor country when compared to TandC. My point why are people here calling TandC impoverish but wouldn't call Poland, Greece, Pourtugal and Croatia impoverish if not due to racism

GDP per capita for Moldova is $3,600
GDP per capita for TandC $25,000
GDP per capita for Portugal $23,000
GDP per capita for Greece $21,000
GDP per capita for Poland $15,300
GDP per capita for Croatia $15,140
You think people from the most first world parts of Canada don't look down upon places like Greece and the Balkans as being less developed and poorer than us...?

Quote:
Venezuela was pretty much the richest country in Latin America for decades until farely recently and Chavezs social programs in the early 2000s ensured that poverty was very low and HDI high, but continue with your ignorance.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
And they don't even recognize their racism
Oh totally, people here post racist crap all the time and no one calls them out on it. When you do, they gaslight you with BS like "It's more racist to see racism everywhere" or "I'm not being racist when I'm calling out a specific Nationality. Nationality =/= race". I suspect the demographics skew towards a certain type that creates an echo chamber of sorts. A shame because there's some real useful discussion otherwise.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
You actually did read my mind with that "mind reading racism police" comment!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
You think people from the most first world parts of Canada don't look down upon places like Greece and the Balkans as being less developed and poorer than us...?
Do Canadian call Porturgese, Poles, Greeks, impoverish and third worlders and joke about replacing them with the Chinese to make a meddertarian Singapore as they are doing in the thread about Turks and Caicos

Last edited by Nite; Feb 5, 2019 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Do Canadian call Porturgese, Poles, Greeks, impoverish and third worlders as they are called Turks and Caicos in this thread.
Considering that Greece is a mess and financial black hole and that Greeks don't seem to see anything wrong with not paying taxes if they can, I'm sure you'd see decent opposition to Canada having to admit Greece as a province, yes.

So, your answer is "yes".

That said, I admit it does matter - and is a big negative - that you're going to be a consistent black hole for Canadian taxpayers' money, so I suppose we're actually somewhat racist.....

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:

Do Canadian call Porturgese, Poles, Greeks, impoverish and third worlders and joke about replacing them to make a meddertarian Singapore as they are doing in the thread about Turks and Caicos
I certainly did not call the Turks and Caicos impoverished and Third World, but the reality is still that it's not even close to being as rich as the Canadian average.

As for Portugal, Poland and Greece well they are all classified as very high HDI whereas even the top HDI independent countries in the Caribbean like Barbados and Bahamas do not make that category.

The few very high UDI places in the Caribbean are all dependencies of imperial and post-imperial powers that tend to be shelters for tax evaders and money launderers.

BTW I don't have anything at all against the Caribbean or people from there. But I don't like bogus allegations of racism.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If people assumed the T&C were impoverished, I think this reflects simple ignorance rather than pervasive systemic racism (although the SJWs in our community would never acknowledge this possibility).

Aside from hordes of Haitian refugees, the other issue I can see with annexing the T&C is the fact that they lie right smack dab in the middle of the primary hurricane track in the Caribbean. As a matter of fact, they get on average one hurricane every 2.5 years, and not infrequently these can be major CAT 3-5 storms. Constantly having to rebuild the island infrastructure could be a burden we don't want to take on.

Of course, with Canada's resources, we could ensure that any infrastructure that is built is of the highest quality and hurricane resistant. This may be a non issue.

Thoughts???

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Excluding Western Europe, Northern North America, Japan and Australia, the Caribbean Islands are probably the most develop place on the earth.
It actually seems pretty much on par with much of the eastern part of Asia and South America. Africa of course is in a whole mess of trouble on this and many other fronts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada