HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 9:09 PM
Blacque Jacque Shellacque

Don't ask me why, when or where it happened but I once spent a very, very late night of heavy drinking and intense political chatter with former Parti Québécois leader Jean-François Lisée. For most of the night it was just he and I firing them back.

This was when he was with the Université de Montréal, between his tenure as the backroom guy for Parizeau-Bouchard-Landry and his entry into politics under his own name.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 9:58 PM

I might have seen disgraced chef Mario Batali at the No Frills in Bancroft last summer, but I don't think it was him. "That's all I got."

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 10:12 PM
Fake News

At first I thought I hadn't seen too many famous people but then I started the tally and it's actually a decent amount.

The biggest celebrities I saw in person were Diane Lane and Josh Brolin at the Cabo San Lucas airport in 2005. They rushed past me and into an SUV before anyone else noticed.

Locally I have seen Common at a health food store while they were still filming Hell on Wheels here. I've also seen Brett the Hitman Hart at both a small organic grocery store and on his bike on 17th Ave. I also saw Robin Regehr and Chuck Kobasew at a metal bar around the cup run of '04. By far my coolest encounter with a hockey player was one time when I was at the Maxbell arena in the middle of the day when there were no events scheduled. I happened to be walking around the old arena when Theoren Fleury stepped onto the ice with a cameraman filming promos for Playing with Fire. It was one of the coolest and most intimate experiences as it was just me in the stands. At one point I cheered and he raised his stick.

On the less impressive celebrity side I saw Chris Soules, the former Bachelor who was charged in a fatal car accident, in New York at the bar in my hotel. That same trip I thought I saw Rod Stewart with some tall blonde model outside the Chelsea Market but I'm not 100% sure.

A former server I knew from a restaurant I frequent became the winner for Big Brother Canada (Sarah Hanlon). Also a former college classmate Melissa Skowron competed on last season's Master Chef Canada.

Finally, I saw Jann Arden once when she was doing an appearance and a signing at the SEARS I worked at.

Do celebrities I saw at comic conventions count?

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 10:20 PM
Fake News

Just remembered I also met Naheed Nenshi out for a walk on St. Patrick's island. He shook my hand and posed for a picture with us. My wife's cousin was visiting from Vancouver with his Turkish wife and she knew of Nenshi.

The Sam Roberts band walked by me going into Mac Hall at U of C when I attended there in '03/'04.

Preston Manning attended my friend’s family’s church growing up. I saw him a few times.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Last edited by O-tacular; Feb 6, 2019 at 11:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That list will be hard to top.
Exactly what I thought!

Well, there was one time during the Christmas break I bumped into Quebec PM Charest while he was PM at the Rona in Sherbrooke (he was right in line before me, was buying a shovel - it had just snowed a lot - and said "no" when the cashier asked him if he had Air Miles, I came within a hair of getting my own Air Miles card out and ask him if we could scan it ).

That's probably my most (locally) famous encounter, I'm really not lucky with that.

My business partner (that same Montreal Jew I talked about before) lives in North Hatley so I'm there pretty often, including while the Clintons were there not that long ago, I almost went to say hi and try to get a selfie with them for my dear SSP friend Crawford (unfortunately I didn't have all my MAGA gear with me at that time), but in the end I was busy-ish and let that opportunity slip.)

They'd probably have been list-toppers, certainly more globally famous than Jean Charest (who, at the height of his power at the time, still isn't bad).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:04 PM
Aimless Wanderer

I ran into and talked to Sarah Mclachlan on Main Street in North Bay in the early 1990s, and Alice Cooper at the Northgate Shopping Centre in 2006 where he was wandering around shopping before his show at the local arena that evening.

My sister dated or befriended various band members from a few nationally known Canadian groups during the 90s alternative rock era, so I ended up meeting and socializing with them semiregularly for a few years.

I met a few of the cast members of the original Degrassi Jr High TV series (and my friend ended up marrying one of them).

I met and talked to Olivia Chow a few years ago on Queen Street in Toronto while she was out walking, and passed by David Cronenberg on Bloor Street in the Annex.

Most recently I was shooting a walking video on Bloor Street last summer and Kevin Hart and his friend walked right by me. It's about 30 seconds in:

Video Link

Last edited by softee; Feb 6, 2019 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:07 PM

I've seen lots of famous people, never really said hi but one or two

Seen lots around Vancouver.
Ryan Gosling twice, a few years apart
Joshua Jackson we made eye contact as we passed, he was very tall and skinnier looking in person.
Ryan Reynolds walked into him and another actor at a nightclub, like lieterally it was a squeeze and brushed right passed him, he was just doing that two guys and pizza place whatever sitcom so wasn't uber famous at the time
Danced next Kristin Kreuk at a gay bar - she was even more beautiful in person, she was quite friendly and was there with a group of her friends none of which glowed the way she did
Saw one of the actresses from The Fringe get off the skytrain on the way to the studio
Once waiting for the traffic light at Robson and Burrard turned around and standing behind us was Jack Black, Jason Bigg and Steve Zahn
Corey Haim was walking down Robson street and asked how to get to BoysCo a clothing store.
Was at old navy in Seattle and saw Josie Bisset shopping at the tail end of Melrose Place being on TV, she was with her mom and her baby
The guy who will be Shazam, I saw him outside a night club on Granville street, he was doing a TV show at the time, but was just hanging out
I saw Connie Seleca standing on Robson street with her baby stroller
Tony Scali who was doing the TV show the commish at the time, He was walking down Robson street wearing denim overalls, it was the 90s lol
Janine Turner, she was filming next to where our office was and she walked across the parking lot from the food area, she was very tiny
I saw Jean Chretien walking and getting into a car once at the bayshore in Vancouver
I hung out with this guy who was on the Ellen show, the sitcom, we stood there not talking lol I didn't know what to say, he was hanging out with a friend who was a friend of mine and those two went to the bathroom or something and I was left standing there with him haha
I saw the dad from My So Called Life at the gay bar in Vancouver in the 90s
I passed Alan Cumming on Davie Street, he was in town filming Xmen
Sarah Strange, saw her around a few times, my friend would always talk to her, he sort of knew her
Jolie Collins, same saw her around a few times, again my friend sort of knew her somehow
At the same gay bar saw Steve Sabados
And again at the bar saw who was at the time a Canadian Figure Skating champion
I saw the sedin twins at IKEA in Richmond the first year they were signed to the Canucks.
I have a picture of a very young me sitting in Chief Dan George's lap.
I rode in an elevator with David Mainse of Hundred Huntley street, it was the 80s and it was in Israel, it was a tour through his show and we went to his daughters wedding as part of the tour, I was about 11 and had a brief appearance in the background on his TV show while we were on a boat on the sea of galilee

A few more that I forget but Robson Street was usually the easiest place to see famous people

Last edited by SpongeG; Feb 6, 2019 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:41 PM

Oh yeah and during the olympics saw a lot of people

Kristy Yamaguchi, Tara Lapinski, Alexandre Bilodeau saw him getting a watch in a ceremony at the omega store, and the US swimmer Michael Phelps was there giving it to him with some olympic official etc, Michael Buble, seen him at an event and then years apart saw him leaving his condo somewhere down in Yaletown, a bunch of other famous people who were at some event at the Commodore ballroom for some Budweiser party during the olympics. I forget their names

Only pic that shows his face but was walking right behind him

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:50 PM

Shook hands with JPII and Nelson Mandela (not at the same occasion!). Also said a surprised “hello”” to Yoko Ono at the Frida Kalho museum in Mexico City a few years ago. Met Desmond Tutu on a number of occasions. Gave a nod to a tired looking Donald Sutherland at a baggage carousel at YYZ. My work put me in contact with (then former) PMs Pierre Trudeau and Joe Clark (such a nice man) and Kim Campbell, as well as Chretien and Harper (those cold eyes, help me Jesus!) while they were PM. Also got to spend time over a few days with Liona Boyd, about twenty years ago.

Kind of a random list, looking at it. Decidedly weak in the Pop celebrity category.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 11:54 PM

Interesting, your line of work involved regular contacts with both ex-PMs and sitting PMs? At first sight I'm at a loss to imagine why/how...

(in fact the only main job I can think of that requires contacts with an ex-PM would be "writing their biography for them", and I'd be surprised if you did that for all of PET, Clark and Campbell!)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Interesting, your line of work involved regular contacts with both ex-PMs and sitting PMs? At first sight I'm at a loss to imagine why/how...

(in fact the only main job I can think of that requires contacts with an ex-PM would be "writing their biography for them", and I'd be surprised if you did that for all of PET, Clark and Campbell!)
My lips are sealed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:15 AM
Suburbs Suck

I welcomed Wayne Gretzky to Vancouver during the Olympics.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:17 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Another guy who had an interesting backstory that people might not know about.
That's interesting! He looked like a nice person on TV and I remember watching him at that restaurant and he seemed to have the same warmth in real life. He used to do telethons, which is what he was in Winnipeg for, to the best of my recollection.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
My lips are sealed.
You're such a tease! Not even via PMs...? Please pretty please? I'm so curious

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:27 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I've seen, met and even hobnobbed with numerous francophone celebrities that most people here have never heard of.
I remember having been taken to some supper club in Ottawa or Hull in the 1980s and Monique Leyrac came right up to my table and sang some French song right in my face. I was a bit mortified at the time but I guess it is a kind of encounter with a francophone.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:32 AM
Blacque Jacque Shellacque

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

I have also met Clark, Mulroney, Martin, Chrétien, Harper, and a couple of GGs too. Even more Ministers and MPs.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:10 AM

Quote:
I have also met Clark, Mulroney, Martin, Chrétien, Harper, and a couple of GGs too. Even more Ministers and MPs.
Re GGs, I had a garden party conversation once with Clarkson about the perennial garden at Rideau Hall. I was also once in Letellier’s while Jean was in buying shoes - I remember feeling happy at the idea that I live in a country where the “head of state” (cough, cough) hits the same shoe stores as me.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:40 AM

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Layton twice, once in 2006 and then in 2007. I also met Michael Ignatieff once when he was Liberal leader.

I’ve met several past and present Maple Leafs players, including Nazem Kadri and Johnny Bower. I saw Bower in 2017, just a few months before he died; he walked into a restaurant near Toronto that I was in.

I narrowly missed meeting Brian Williams (the American one) when visiting 30 Rock in New York over a decade ago. I have, however, met the Canadian one.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:29 AM

I said hello to Greg Kinnear and he replied with a hey. (During a break in filming here in Winnipeg.)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:41 AM

Quote:

We've all met famous (internationally, but also of the local sort) and infamous people. Who have you met? Under what circumstances?

Once, on Bernard Street in Outremont, and while wearing Canadian Olympic garments (Salt Lake City Olympics) I ran into a coven of PQ brass, including Louise Beaudoin (who was miffed at my wardrobe, and made an unkind remark).
Most of mine would be from the Olympics. Speaking of Salt Lake City, I attended a breakfast with Jamie Salé and David Pelletier along with most of the 2002 figure skating team and Canadian Luge team. Was an event for friends and family. 2006 in Torino I met Joanne Malar at some event or another for the Olympics. I guess I can toss my bro in this as he was the first Olympian I met. Canada’s national luge team from mid 90’s to early 10’s I’ve pretty much met all of them.

Bret Hart I met at a Calgary Roughnecks game, introduced myself to him as my mother and uncle had graduated high school with him.

I never spoke to him but saw John Laroquette at the Louvre with his family.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada