HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 10:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure about birch beer but I know spruce beer. It was given by the Hurons to the French in Québec City 400-500 years ago to prevent them from dying of scurvy in the winter.

You can still buy spruce beer at grocery stores here.
Hehe, don't tell anyone I told you this, but it's just cream soda.

Pineapple Crush, though, is different from the generic, everywhere soft drinks. It's exactly what it sounds like.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 10:24 PM
Blacque Jacque Shellacque

I have only had spruce beer and only maybe once or twice.

From what I recall it tasted as expected. Like something from a tree!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 11:51 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hasan Hai is amazing. He tried to interact with the lone yellow vest protestor in Mount Pearl:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mainlande...89460391542784

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 1:11 PM
arf

The Birch Beer I've gotten in the past is from Boylan and is in an acquired taste. In the right mood it is interesting, but the ever-present taste of wintergreen in it does not make it thirst-quenching. I'm a big root beer fan. Birch beer is just kind of weird.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Anglo-Canada (a few pockets aside, like Newfoundland), simply was the victim of language, geography and history.

Language: Um, well...this should be obvious.
Geography: Again, not too hard to discern.
History: Forming a unique culture in the era of mass media (for the argument made here, let's say after the invention of radio and film, so the 1920s to gain national consciousness) is an uphill struggle. The bulk of Anglo-Canada grew after that era.

Take away one of these pillars and you end up with something distinctive, simply by virtue of creating a cultural island. It's why the Aussies and Kiwis have their own thing, despite being relatively new.

To my knowledge, Anglo-Canada is the only place this has happened, but I'm not an expert on these things.
Well, most of the micro or nanostates would be like this: places like Monaco, Liechtenstein, etc.

Examples of larger entities would be Belarus-Russia, Moldova-Romania, Uruguay-Argentina and Guatemala-Mexico.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sad news - Joe Schlesinger has died at the age of 90.

In my opinion he was one of the greatest journalists in Canadian history. I had a lot of respect for his reporting skills and his impartiality. He also had the gravitas necessary to be a top drawer journalist.

Rest well Joe.........

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 8:20 PM

^ Yeah, wow. A heavy hitter of a reporter. I remember him best as providing eye witness accounts of the collapse of the Iron Curtain, on The National back in the days when Knowlton Nash was the anchor.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:22 PM

fry her, charge her so she can't leave Canada

you can watch the video at the link, as the chair could have hit a car hard to tell cause it stops but fell right in front of one

Toronto police investigating video of woman tossing chair off condo balcony

Toronto police investigating video of woman tossing chair off condo balcony
Woman sought after chair tossed off balcony

The video, circulated widely online over the weekend, shows the chair tumble down toward the busy Gardiner Expressway.
Toronto police seek chair-tossing woman

Police in Toronto are looking for the public's help identifying the woman in a video of a chair being thrown from a condo balcony.

Jonathan Forani, CTVNews.ca Writer @jforani
Published Monday, February 11, 2019

Police are investigating after a video surfaced online of a woman throwing a chair off a Toronto condo balcony.

The clip, which has been shared thousands of times on Facebook since Saturday, shows a woman with blonde hair in black leather tossing a metal and wood chair from a condo balcony. The chair falls from several floors above ground, though it’s not clear how high.

The Toronto Police Service is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying the woman, who is wanted in a mischief causing danger to life investigation.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 9:37 PM

Police in Ontario free 43 Mexicans brought to Canada by alleged human traffickers

Mexicans were 'modern-day slaves' whose pay from work as cleaners was controlled by traffickers: OPP
Muriel Draaisma · CBC News · Posted: Feb 11, 2019

Forty-three Mexicans, brought to Canada, have been freed from the control of alleged human traffickers. Here is an example of the accommodations in which some of them lived. (Ontario Provincial Police)
Ontario Provincial Police say they have freed 43 "modern-day slaves" brought to Canada from Mexico by alleged human traffickers and forced to work as cleaners at hotels.

The 43, mostly men aged 20 to 46, were coached on what to say when they entered Canada, lived in "squalid" conditions in Barrie and Wasaga Beach, and were transported to hotel and vacation properties in Central and Eastern Ontario to work, police said on Monday.

All were freed last Tuesday following a joint investigation that involved the OPP, Barrie Police Service and Canada Border Services Agency.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...bx-KtxQIJjGz44

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Hasan Hai is amazing. He tried to interact with the lone yellow vest protestor in Mount Pearl:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mainlande...89460391542784
Are the yellow vests/gilets jaunes really portrayed as being racist/intolerant, as if that's the primary driver of the movement?

That's not really the message I am getting from how they're being covered in Quebec and France. Though sure, there is a nasty element to them that is certainly not ignored in the coverage.

But certainly the average person who is taking in the coverage about them (here and in France) won't simply conclude that it's primarily a racist/xenophobic movement that can just be dismissed or discredited off-hand as a result.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Are the yellow vests/gilets jaunes really portrayed as being racist/intolerant, as if that's the primary driver of the movement?

That's not really the message I am getting from how they're being covered in Quebec and France. Though sure, there is a nasty element to them that is certainly not ignored in the coverage.

But certainly the average person who is taking in the coverage about them (here and in France) won't simply conclude that it's primarily a racist/xenophobic movement that can just be dismissed or discredited off-hand as a result.
Totally different in English Canada. The nuances of the situation in France are totally lost on them. It's bluntly anti-immigrant, anti-Trudeau, pro-pipeline.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:40 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Totally different in English Canada. The nuances of the situation in France are totally lost on them. It's bluntly anti-immigrant, anti-Trudeau, pro-pipeline.
That would be a reasonable description of them here. Add anti-carbon tax and I think you would have checked all the boxes.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I've a different lens as I've received most of my information through the Economist, not Canadian sources.

AFAIK, they seem to be a diverse group without a grand unifying theme aside from the resentment caused by increased fuel taxes in France. Certainly, there are members who are anti-immigrant, but my impression is largely that they're protesting their economic condition.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:53 PM

^ That's a reasonable take. It's basically a free for all here, in contrast with the somewhat specific message that the protesters in France are bearing.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 2:58 PM

Anger so inchoate it can’t even come up with its own “look”.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:

Not here. The media here even holds up the French yellow vests as a contrast to the North American ones, repeatedly pointing out they're not the same thing and the ones here are just hijacking the symbol with right-wing bullshit.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:53 PM

Most of the coverage I've been seeing in French (Quebec or France) has been that the Gilets Jaunes are mostly Ordinary Joes struggling to make ends meet and frustrated that the government doesn't seem to care about their plight.

As is often the case with such movements they sometimes get infiltrated by uglier elements (violent people, racist people) but the higher cause still gets coverage.

(This is not dissimilar to the coverage of the anti-globalist protests that took place at G20 meetings and such in Quebec City, Seattle, Toronto, etc. and where violent groups like Black Bloc and such caused all sorts of mayhem.)

Coverage in the national English-language media in Canada of the Gilets Jaunes is definitely not as extensive as in French, and I was simply wondering if it might not be an easy "out" to simply stick an ugly label on them, especially since they are challenging the established order . From what I am reading here, it sounds like that might be the case for at least some media outlets.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:16 PM

Trying hard to think how the various "Occupy" movements were treated by the mainstream media.

I do believe it was somewhat sympathetic. Though it was coming from a different place.

Also, back then the established order wasn't perhaps as stressed as it is today about its challengers' prospects for eventually toppling the edifice.

Last edited by Acajack; Feb 12, 2019 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 5:57 PM
arf

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This just cracks me up. Province has released all the correspondence it recieved in January and February 2005 to those opposed to marriage equality and, more so, the Province's decision that any official unwilling to fulfill their duties by marrying a same-sex couples must resign.

It's all the usual stuff, but with such a popular Premier in office at the time, it's also hilarious:

An aside, not many new Irish/UK shows get popular here these days. The big ones are still Coronation Street, Mrs. Brown's Boys, and Father Brown. However, there is a relatively new one that it seems like everyone is watching - Derry Girls. Highly recommend. It's a good, funny unwind. Nothing too deep but well done. Lots of 90s, nuns, and all the shit we grew up with.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Feb 13, 2019 at 7:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada