HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 4:36 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Chez Cora has to be the best breakfast chain. They have lots of pictures of their food on their site, and I can attest that that is what you get on your plate in person. Their food is great. If the Richmond and White Rock locations are anything like their Coquitlam one, they will be there for a long, long time.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 4:43 PM

I used to go to them in ottawa... they were just ok, the serving sizes were HUGE and I could hardly even finish half the plate.

In other news Goldfish in Yaletown closed the other week. I was pretty surprised by that it was always busy in there

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I used to go to them in ottawa... they were just ok, the serving sizes were HUGE and I could hardly even finish half the plate.

In other news Goldfish in Yaletown closed the other week. I was pretty surprised by that it was always busy in there
Is that where Miku 2 is going?

Last edited by s211; Feb 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 6:51 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Put me down as a non-fan of Chez Cora, visited one in Mtl after hearing some people give it glowing reviews and I was really dissappointed. Thought that had to be a one-off so I tried a differerent location but same thing.
Portions were large, but food served on cold plates both times and to be honest the food was bland as well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:59 AM

Tacofino, the food truck, is opening a place on east hastings in may

from scout: http://scoutmagazine.ca/2012/02/15/d...stings-in-may/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 4:28 PM

Robert Belcham (Refuel, Campagnolo) is scheduled to be opening a BBQ place this summer.

http://www.straight.com/article-6077...ntown-eastside

The article says DTES but then points to 566 Abbott Street, which is International Village. If I'm not mistaken, this will be the CRU to the right/south of the 7-Eleven.

EDIT: This is what I get for posting in the middle of the night. 566 Powell which is here. Thanks jlousa.

Last edited by incognism; Feb 22, 2012 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:18 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Unless I'm mistaken this is going to be way over on Powell on the edge of Railtown, not Abbott.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Put me down as a non-fan of Chez Cora, visited one in Mtl after hearing some people give it glowing reviews and I was really dissappointed. Thought that had to be a one-off so I tried a differerent location but same thing.
Portions were large, but food served on cold plates both times and to be honest the food was bland as well.
I agree. Tried in TO and wasn’t all that impressed, especially after a 45min line up. It wasn’t bad, but wasn’t what I was expecting given all of the great things I had heard.

I also had similar experience with Eggspectation. I loved it the first time I went there in Montreal, but maybe that had to do with the nice space they were in on Maisonneuve. Have been a few times to the Toronto location on Yonge street, in a much more generic space and just wasn’t all that impressed with the food. Again, nothing bad, but not that great either.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Is that where Miku 2 is going?
yes I believe so.... are they going to redo the inside? seems like such a waste if they do!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Not crazy about Chez Cora either. I have never understood why so many people rave about it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
Be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
yes I believe so.... are they going to redo the inside? seems like such a waste if they do!

Indeed it is. The new place will be called Minami (beautiful wave... Miku means beautiful sky), and will be similar but unique to Miku in Cuisine. As far as I understand, the room will not get too much in the way of renos... but I'll ask about the details when I have a chance. I should mention I work at Miku.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 12:54 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not crazy about Chez Cora either. I have never understood why so many people rave about it.
Never said it had the best food, but it is definitely the best breakfast chain going. But it will never compare, or even come close for that matter, to Mom and Pop shops like Red Wagon on East Hastings or Jethro's on Dunbar. If you haven't tried either of those, you are REALLY missing out.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Conga View Post
Indeed it is. The new place will be called Minami (beautiful wave... Miku means beautiful sky), and will be similar but unique to Miku in Cuisine. As far as I understand, the room will not get too much in the way of renos... but I'll ask about the details when I have a chance. I should mention I work at Miku.
I heart you, then. Please keep that place open and successful. It's my fave Japanese place in town now.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 10:46 PM
Be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I heart you, then. Please keep that place open and successful. It's my fave Japanese place in town now.
Thank you so much. I am very proud of what we do at Miku. I'm sure we'll be open for years to come. The boss is very passionate and ambitious, so I'm sure Minami will do great as well.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 6:38 AM
Be nice.

So I asked about Minami's renovations of the old Goldfish location, and there is definitely some going on. Mostly to change the color scheme add a sushi bar. The goal is to make sure Minami has a room that is unique from Goldfish.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:51 PM

i just stumbled across this - thats a lot of places... i read somewhere i forget where might have been here that the first one is opening in 2012...

Quote:
The country’s first Carl’s Jr. was opened by franchisee Jove Franchise Development Corporation. Jove plans to open and operate four more units in the Okanagan Valley over the next five years. CKE has also signed a multi-unit agreement with franchisee FYP Company who plans to build 25 restaurants in the greater Vancouver area over the next six years.

http://restaurantcentral.ca/CarlsJrexpansionCanada.aspx

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 11:52 PM

cactus club cafe - english bay opens today (mar 2) at 5 pm

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 1:15 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Just watched the season finale of Top Chef USA (yeah, I like cooking competition shows), and the final challenges took place in Whistler and Vancouver. Black And Blue and Coast got some serious exposure as did Whistler and Vancity.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:32 PM
Be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Just watched the season finale of Top Chef USA (yeah, I like cooking competition shows), and the final challenges took place in Whistler and Vancouver. Black And Blue and Coast got some serious exposure as did Whistler and Vancity.
Oh yeah... Black and Blue and Coast... two of Vancouvers top restaurants... I laughed out loud when Padma said that. Great finale though.... I made a thread about it if you had any more thoughts on the matter.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:26 PM

east is east on main street apparently isn't allowed to have a wooden sign - you can sign a petition here if u want them to have it

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Eas...support-today/

from twitter:

Vancouver Is Awesome ‏ @VIAwesome Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
One of my fav Main St restaurants, East Is East, isn't allowed to have a wooden sign. That's dumb. Sign the petition?: ow.ly/9sZkh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining