HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 10:09 PM
BANNED

First nations of Canada

It's official you can no longer call me a white man.

Seriously though its seems like a topic that gets ignored more often than not.

I figure it makes sense for their to be a thread on the topic.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 10:12 PM
BANNED

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...nous-1.3908859

Today approximately 18,000 out of 100,000 claims got status.

Somehow me and my brother both got status despite our being out of the province during the period of consideration.

The crazy part is the vast majority of these claims are completely nonsensical as its people that are marginally native.

In contrast there are peoples with clear ancestry that got rejected(as in people who were members of bands long before any official status was even being considered) because they can't prove strong connections to traditional mikmaq communities.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 10:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
It's official you can no longer call me a white man.

Seriously though its seems like a topic that gets ignored more often than not.

I figure it makes sense for their to be a thread on the topic.
I don't know about anyone else, but in everyday life aboriginal Canadians and their issues are largely out of sight, and out of mind.

They're rarely brought up in conversations, except once in a blue moon in reference to something else someone says that the way they're treated is scandalous. But no one ever does anything about it.

This has been the same in all areas of Canada I have lived. I currently live in the city where the federal department of Indigenous Affairs is based.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 10:34 PM
I am a typical

Having status is a bit different than actually being native, since it's based on blood quantum and requires paperwork.

Only about half of Canada First Nations people actually have Indian Status.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 10:43 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but in everyday life aboriginal Canadians and their issues are largely out of sight, and out of mind.

They're rarely brought up in conversations, except once in a blue moon in reference to something else someone says that the way they're treated is scandalous. But no one ever does anything about it.

This has been the same in all areas of Canada I have lived. I currently live in the city where the federal department of Indigenous Affairs is based.
Yeah... not so much in the west. Seeing people from nearby nations sleeping on the street or begging for "bus money" is unfortunately all too common in Calgary, Edmonton, and I assume other prairie cities. This is largely due to proximity... there's two large reserves within a half hour drive of Calgary and another is adjacent to the city (to the point that the city is beginning to grow around the reserve).

Flickr

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 10:47 PM

Indigenous issues are constantly being discussed here. Edmonton recently surpassed Winnipeg as the city with the largest indigenous population in the country.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 10:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Trailer for a documentary by Québécois singer Richard Desjardins. Aptly titled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGKJe84lWY0

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:

This really depends on where you live in Canada, how old you are and what line of work you are in.

I find that First Nations culture and FN issues are very much on the radar here in Vancouver, and I don't even work in an industry that really has that much contact with First Nations people or FN issue advocates.

EDIT: I noticed other Western Canadians pointed this out.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So, this is an honest question, but do aboriginal issues actually occasionally come up during water cooler talk or at dinner parties in Western Canada?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:15 PM

FN issues wouldn't come up in casual conversation with non-FN strangers because it's a third rail topic. But that's very different from saying that it's something people are oblivious to.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
FN issues wouldn't come up in casual conversation with non-FN strangers because it's a third rail topic. But that's very different from saying that it's something people are oblivious to.
People aren't totally oblivious the issues east and south of Lake Nipissing either. It's just not something that's discussed that much in regular conversations.

Contrary to Trump, Trudeau, and federal and provincial politics in general.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:50 PM

It's not so much that Aboriginal culture or issues comes up in casual conversation, it's that you see elements of Aboriginal culture everywhere you look in Vancouver. The police cars are painted in Coast Salish designs. Totem poles and Bill Reid sculptures grace the arrivals hall of YVR. Road signs to Squamish on the Sea-to-Sky highway are subtitled in Squamish the same way they would be in Gaelic in Ireland. There are cultural markers everywhere for important Aboriginal sites. Many of the murals are First Nations-designed or inspired. You can take any number of course specializations at post-secondary institutions focused on Aboriginal needs, and these courses are prominently advertised on public transportation. I even saw a version of the Magic Flute at the Vancouver opera where the set designer redid the whole production in Coast Salish themes. You would have to be blind or willfully ignorant not to realize that you are on former Aboriginal territory here.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And immigration, gay rights, gender issues, racism etc are not?

This seems like the ultimate excuse,

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:00 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It's not so much that Aboriginal culture or issues comes up in casual conversation, it's that you see elements of Aboriginal culture everywhere you look in Vancouver. The police cars are painted in Coast Salish designs. Totem poles and Bill Reid sculptures grace the arrivals hall of YVR. Road signs to Squamish on the Sea-to-Sky highway are subtitled in Squamish the same way they would be in Gaelic in Ireland. There are cultural markers everywhere for important Aboriginal sites. Many of the murals are First Nations-designed or inspired. You can take any number of course specializations at post-secondary institutions focused on Aboriginal needs, and these courses are prominently advertised on public transportation. I even saw a version of the Magic Flute at the Vancouver opera where the set designer redid the whole production in Coast Salish themes. You would have to be blind or willfully ignorant not to realize that you are on former Aboriginal territory here.
I know you're from Ontario originally, so you no doubt can see the difference.

I have noticed what you describe in the west as well, especially in BC. Where it seems to be more "embraced". It's definitely present on the Prairies too but it seems to be more as an "issue".

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:01 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
And immigration, gay rights, gender issues, racism etc are not?

This seems like the ultimate excuse,
IMO Canada "does" a lot better on every single one of those issues than it "does" on aboriginal issues, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:13 AM
Majestic

Quote:
I know you're from Ontario originally, so you no doubt can see the difference.

I have noticed what you describe in the west as well, especially in BC. Where it seems to be more "embraced". It's definitely present on the Prairies too but it seems to be more as an "issue".
I would say that on the Prairies, aboriginal issues are very visible, but the culture is not embraced. You'd probably avoid bringing it up at a dinner party, as you'd be likely to hear some responses along the lines of "the reserves were a mistake, we should have just gone ahead and forcefully integrated them a long time ago." If you want to open up that can of worms at a party, be my guest.

That's starting to change of course. But change is slow.

Flickr

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:20 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
I would say that on the Prairies, aboriginal issues are very visible, but the culture is not embraced. You'd probably avoid bringing it up at a dinner party, as you'd be likely to hear some responses along the lines of "the reserves were a mistake, we should have just gone ahead and forcefully integrated them a long time ago." If you want to open up that can of worms at a party, be my guest.

You hear that kind of thing in Quebec too sometimes. We're truly a mixed bag of opinions, ranging from hostility of that sort, to strong support. Everything here is compounded by the fact that anywhere between 40 to 60% of the population has aboriginal blood. So lots of people who don't have their "cards" (as we say) aren't particularly different genetically or culturally from those who have them. This is especially true in rural areas.

In Ontario OTOH people in my experience are overwhelmingly supportive of aboriginal rights, even if no one seems to be motivated to do anything concrete about it beyond lip service.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:26 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Which of these two singers from Quebec is aboriginal and which one isn't?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:28 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post

Quote:
In Ontario OTOH people in my experience are overwhelmingly supportive of aboriginal rights, even if no one seems to be motivated to do anything concrete about it beyond lip service.

I was going to make a post that more or less combined these two thoughts.

Of course when talking about Ontario things are a bit different in the North. Much more varied from my experiences - but definitely heard some interesting... comments on the matter when doing public consultations in small communities. The consultations had absolutely nothing to do with matters related to First Nations so that got a bit awkward.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 12:34 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I was going to make a post that more or less combined these two thoughts.

Of course when talking about Ontario things are a bit different in the North. Much more varied from my experiences - but definitely heard some interesting... comments on the matter when doing public consultations in small communities. The consultations had absolutely nothing to do with matters related to First Nations so that got a bit awkward.
Much of Northern Ontario is kind of like the Prairies now regarding aboriginal and non-aboriginal relations.

I wonder if things would have been different 20 or 30 years ago, and the issue would have been less in people's faces.

Just thinking of where my wife is from, there has been a noticeable difference in the 25 years I've been going to her hometown. When I first went there, there weren't really many more aboriginal people visible than in the Ottawa or Montreal areas. I was actually surprised at how few there were. But since then there has been a lot of migration out of isolated communities towards cities in Northern Ontario. Her hometown is probably 10% aboriginal now. Maybe 15% of the people out and about in town when you count people there temporarily for various services and other requirements, or simply shopping, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada