HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

It shows the Hartman Apartment at Washington and Oak.

Understated and elegant.

And the two homes next door. (to the west of the apt bldg I believe)

The similarly aged houses on the north side of W 20th Street obviously weren't so lucky. They were still standing when this (previously seen) 1961 photo of freeway construction was taken.
I've arrowed the Hartman Apartments. The building directly above is the extant former IOOF Hall at 1828 Oak Street. We covered that in post #16716 and post #16717.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

It was actually the HartmaNN apartments--Frederick A Hartmann owned mines in Mexico and had come to LA in the late '90s--bought the house at 926 W Washington (the house just west of the apartment building) soon after. He bought the swc of Wash & Oak in 1905 and then the next year built the apt house there, with John Krempel designing it. Around the same time, Krempel remodeled 926 after a fire in August 1906. FA's son Frederick C Hartmann lived at 917 W 20th, behind his father (house appears in the freeway-construction aerial, 4th west from Oak, gone now). In 1927, FA's son Adolph moved his father's house next door to his own, address 919 W 20th--it can also be seen in the aerial. Looks like the Hartmanns owned at least one other house on the block, at the sec of Washington & Toberman.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Yesterday at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:05 PM

Thanks to Lorendoc for finding yesterday's Ross-Loos location. No wonder I couldn't find an Anaheim building in Long Beach.

-------------

As promised, here's a Ross-Loos clinic whose location is known (and is in Long Beach). It's "Job 467: Randolph Chalfant Head, Ross-Loos Clinic (Long Beach, Calif.), 1949". I'm posting a selection of the nine images in the set. There's a clearer, closer view of the front, but I wanted the long shot to show the side.

Here's the reception desk.

I assume that this is the waiting room. I think the desk from the image above appears on the right.

There was a courtyard next to the waiting room.

A reverse shot.

I'll finish with this shot of a consulting room.

All from Getty Research Institute

This building is another survivor. It's at 3850 Long Beach Boulevard, and is now Oakwood Academy.

GSV

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:50 PM

HossC posted this building about three weeks ago, located on Vine Street near Santa Monica Blvd.

Today's Julius Shulman post. It's "Job 559: Stiles Oliver Clements, Zandt Carpet Company, 1949".

Entire post here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=42331

I happened to see this 1972 photograph with the Zandt building in it; left of center:

Bruce Torrence

A blade sign has been added to it since the Shulman photo. The Army-Navy surplus store is still located
on that corner, though I believe they've eliminated the military references. Also, whatever tallish building
that is on Vine, that looks to be under construction, I don't find that building is there anymore, either.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Yesterday at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:37 PM

I believe the "tallish building that is on Vine, that looks to be under construction" is actually the Sunset Media Tower at 6255 Sunset Boulevard. The camera makes it look much closer in the 1972 image.

GSV

Old Posted Today, 12:27 AM

I thought that, too, HossC, but the taller one in the photo is the building on the corner of Hollywood and Vine and to me, and I could be wrong, but it appears the other one is closer to the camera. I tried GSV to convince myself it was the Sunset Media Tower, but it didn't convince me.

Old Posted Today, 12:35 AM

Hoss, thanks for the aerial showing the Hartman(n) Apartments. It was interesting seeing it from that angle.

and thx for the additional information on the Hartmanns GW.
__

An unknown woman posing in front of a billboard at Uplifters Ranch in Rustic Canyon.

old file / flickr?

"Aerial view of the polo field at Uplifters Club, Rustic Canyon, Calif. [c.1947]

http://digital.smpl.org/cdm/singleit.../id/3245/rec/1

I've circled, on the right, where I think snapshot was taken.

Hmm...but where is the actually polo field- (was it gone by 1947?)

__

Old Posted Today, 12:36 AM

I guess it is, HossC, here's a photo dated a year later, 1973, taken up the street from the other one.

Bruce Torrence

Bruce Torrence

Old Posted Today, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
Hoss, this Avenue to the Sky blog post http://avenuetotheskylakeavenuepasad...ke-avenue.html says that the original Bob's Big Boy in Pasadena was at 1616 E. Colorado Blvd. (across Bonnie Ave. from Pasadena City College). IMO, the ridgeline in the exterior photo looks much too close to have been taken in that location.
The Bob's across from the collage was a walk in only, no drive in.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Today, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I believe that's Bob's Big Boy, Toluca Lake, SoCal, 1960. -[ below ]

www.jalopyjournal.com
City Boy Doug:

I agree, its the Toluca Lake location.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Today, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
In Texas in the 60s the chain was called Kip's Big Boy. In New Mexico it was Vip's. They all used the fat boy in checkered overalls mascot. I have no idea why the name changes in different locales since they were all clearly of the same chain. The Texas restaurant was famous for its hot fudge sundaes.
The Wian family (Old Glendale family, Bob Wian was a Mayor of Glendale in the 1950's I think) sold the chain to Mariott, who franchised the Big Boy name all over the country.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Today, 6:15 AM

Re the Willard's , Radio Center, Fairbanks, Runway building on Vine, what is this?:

gsv

Are there a lot of them about? If there are, I don't know how I missed them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos