HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 4:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks like Silverstein is trying to get enough smaller tenants to make this work as opposed to one massive anchor tenant. Hopefully once a certain % is leased or reserved, this will rise.

Screenshot from my pc

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 7:17 PM

Nice C&C icons. AK-47s for everyone!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 9:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Nice C&C icons. AK-47s for everyone!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 7:12 PM

Honestly the space that appears to be leased just looks like mechanical floors.

Through the edge of the webcam, they have already started the final bit of foundation work adjacent to Church Street. Who knows, someone may intervene at the last minute and secure him that anchor tenant.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 12:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

IBM searching for massive new NYC office: Tech company on the search for as much as 350K sf

Quote:
IBM supercomputer Watson is helping people file their taxes, upgrading the city’s 311 system and helping to turn Internet of Things devices into points of sale. But all that high tech still needs some brick-and-mortar office space.

IBM, which is headquartered about 35 miles north of Manhattan in Armonk, NY, and has offices in the city on Madison Avenue and in the East Village, is looking for as much as 350,000 square feet of additional space in the city as it expands Watson, sources told The Real Deal.

Representatives for IBM couldn’t be reached for comment.

The technology company recently announced partnerships with a number of commercial clients such as H&R Block and Visa as it expands with Watson, the artificial intelligence platform that won at Jeopardy! back in 2011.

IBM has had offices in the city going back to the early half of the 20th Century, when it set up shop at 590 Madison Avenue. In the late 1970s it tore down the old building at that site and built a 43-story, 1 million-square-foot modern corporate headquarters known as the IBM Building. But the company sold the property to a partnership between Edward J. Minskoff and the investment group Odyssey Partners in 1994, a time when IBM’s fortunes were in decline and it was shedding space in the city.

But along came Watson, and IBM began growing its footprint. In 2014, it inked a deal with Minskoff to sign on as the 120,000-square-foot anchor tenant at his 51 Astor Place property, which is known as the IBM Watson Building. The tech firm took another 25,000 square feet in the building in 2015, bringing its total footprint there to just shy of 144,000 square feet.

Sources said IBM’s now looking for somewhere between 250,000 and 350,000 square feet, an assignment that will surely limit its options. Blocks of that size are nearly nonexistent in Midtown South. Last month, the music-streaming app Spotify, which is currently based in Chelsea, signed a lease for 378,000 square feet at Silverstein Properties’ 4 World Trade Center.
=======================
https://therealdeal.com/2017/02/22/e...ew-nyc-office/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 1:37 PM

^ That last paragraph about no large blocks of office space available in Midtown South and how Spotify needed to go the WTC to expand proved NY Yimby was right.

NY Yimby had talked awhile back about the problem with the city not accommodating the tech industry in the parts of the city where they want to be: http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/12/how...lt-legacy.html

Very interesting read and now in hindsight, very astute on the part of NY Yimby.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ That last paragraph about no large blocks of office space available in Midtown South and how Spotify needed to go the WTC to expand proved NY Yimby was right.

NY Yimby had talked awhile back about the problem with the city not accommodating the tech industry in the parts of the city where they want to be: http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/12/how...lt-legacy.html

Very interesting read and now in hindsight, very astute on the part of NY Yimby.
Companies may not like it, but I'm not sure the lack of accommodation is a 'problem.' It's actually smart. Otherwise, the WTC complex might never lease up...and 2 WTC never get off the ground...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Companies may not like it, but I'm not sure the lack of accommodation is a 'problem.' It's actually smart. Otherwise, the WTC complex might never lease up...and 2 WTC never get off the ground...
Did you read the Yimby article? It has nothing to do with being smart about the WTC complex. The zoning in the parts of Chelsea were tech firms like to be, were never zoned for large size developments.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:03 PM

Lack of accommodation is a huge problem, and thanks for the link to the Yimby article.

I have to imagine a big factor in tech companies getting squeezed in areas like Midtown South, Chelsea, Meatpacking etc, is developers converting office space into residential, ala 10 Madison Square West. I'd be interested to know how many s/f of office space has been converted into residential, vs how many s/f of new office space has been built in those neighborhoods in the past ten years.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Lack of accommodation is a huge problem, and thanks for the link to the Yimby article.

I have to imagine a big factor in tech companies getting squeezed in areas like Midtown South, Chelsea, Meatpacking etc, is developers converting office space into residential, ala 10 Madison Square West. I'd be interested to know how many s/f of office space has been converted into residential, vs how many s/f of new office space has been built in those neighborhoods in the past ten years.
I'd like to know the same for FiDi, as well as total s/f of office space each year. It seems like every pre-war building is getting converted into residential, but I imagine its more than off set by new commercial.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:29 PM
New Yorker for life

I had to use the 2 WTC exit at the PATH terminal last week, and you can understand why those various exits were mandated for the station. As a commuter, you just need to be able to get out, and most people probably wouldn't even notice that they are going through the various buildings or care. But I just noted it was my first walk "through" 2 WTC.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:01 PM

Each time I see this thread bumped, I get my hopes up that there has been news of a possible anchor (or any tenant at this point). *sighs*

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Each time I see this thread bumped, I get my hopes up that there has been news of a possible anchor (or any tenant at this point). *sighs*
Thanks for bumping it yet again to tell us that.

Silverstein will get his tenant. This is still a viable alternative to the Hudson Yards, where the larger plate office towers are going, but there is also the opportunity for the smaller floorplates on the upper levels.

https://commercialobserver.com/2017/...-trade-center/

Always a Bridesmaid: The Saga of 2 World Trade Center

BY TERENCE CULLEN
MARCH 2, 2017

Quote:
Once upon a time there was a design for a building. Its plans were drawn up by one of the most talented architects working today. And its developer is a man whose reputation stretches to the far reaches of the globe.

The building is 2 World Trade Center, and for some reason, this would-be masterpiece can’t find a respectable tenant to anchor it.

More than a decade ago, it was 2 WTC’s older sister—7 World Trade Center—that New York magazine dubbed the building that everyone wanted to date, but no one wanted to marry.

But that was then. Since that 2006 article, landlord Silverstein Properties has filled that 52-story tower, all of 4 World Trade Center and the base of the under-construction 3 World Trade Center.

Now sitting on the drawing board is the Bjarke Ingels-designed 2 WTC, which has taken on the role of the bridesmaid who has watched her little sisters be married off to prosperous tenants like Spotify and Group M. She’s sitting alone, carved out in models on the 11th floor of 7 WTC, her cantilevered staircase design begging to be mounted.

Silverstein executives have remained bullish that they’ll secure an anchor tenant for the 2.8-million-square-foot building. Once they do, it will be the final piece of the World Trade Center—a puzzle that will have taken at least 15 years to rebuild following the devastating attacks on 9/11.

She has had many paramours since her first design was unveiled in 2006. First conceived by Sir Norman Foster, the tower featured a distinct four-diamond design at the top. The idea was to give the memorial at the street level a sense of place: From wherever you looked at 2 WTC in the city, you could tell where the memorial was based on the diagonal top.

That concept attracted a number of suitors—like UBS and Citibank—before the Great Recession and subsequent regulations made them scale back on their real estate. The rakish News Corp. and 21st Century Fox came along in mid-2015 with a plan to occupy 1.5 million square feet of the building. Only she needed a makeover.

So Silverstein Properties brought in Ingels to design the overhaul. But the tower was left at the altar once again: The Rupert Murdoch-run companies backed out of the deal before anything was signed, sending the tower back to the planning stage.

In the time since, Citi had its head turned elsewhere (the bank renewed its 500,000-square-foot lease at 601 Lexington Avenue in 2012 and last year triple-net leased 388-390 Greenwich Street in Tribeca as its global headquarters), and UBS settled (it renewed its 900,000 square feet at 1285 Avenue of the Americas last spring). BlackRock was a more recent contender before committing to 850,000 square feet at Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group’s 55 Hudson Yards—the latest of the massive companies headed to the Far West Side.

There are still a few potential knights in shining armor that could take 2 WTC from dream to reality. One of those could be Facebook, which has raised its Big Apple profile over the last few years. It currently occupies about 355,000 square feet at 770 Broadway and another 200,000 square feet at 225 Park Avenue South. The city’s top leasing brokers will tell you that a large-scale tenant typically takes this route before a massive consolidation.

With the likes of Condé Nast, Spotify and Group M now calling the World Trade Center home, the social network might be the one to put a ring on 2 WTC.

https://commercialobserver.com/2017/...-new-downtown/

Silverstein’s Janno Lieber Talks Spotify, 2 WTC and the New Downtown

Quote:
What’s the game plan for 2 World Trade Center?

We have an unbelievable building. The Fox episode was obviously a disappointment, but what we got out of that was a chance to rethink for the most contemporary tenant mix.

You have a site that’s built up to grade. We can show everybody what it feels like to be part of this community. We are continuing to market it to big tenants.

Is there a dream tenant?

It would be a tenant—or more than one—who allows us to finance the building. The building is designed for a dynamic mix of uses. It has huge floor plates at the bottom, but at the top you have boutique-size floor plates, which could be appealing to hedge fund-type users. You have layouts that can do studios and newsrooms, other kinds of media installations and tech installations. Then you have a series of conventional office floors and column-free, unbelievable views.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well thats a smoov sales pitch, but its also true. if they keep the former foxy boxy design, and it seems they will, you could have the money trade businesses on the large lower floors and any boutiquey business that wants to take a square on the upper levels. the floor plans are pretty much wide open and it is quite an opportunity. seems like it would be all good for a facebook consolidation. we'll see. after fox backed out i hadn't really thought about this tower plan in awhile with everything else going on these days!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 9:55 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Yeh, it's painful to read this thread.
I gave up hope when we see Hudson Yards to the north being built at record pace while this tower hasn't been built yet.

Do we need another redesign?

Wait..., why is this thread in the Construction category when it hasn't been built yet?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 1:12 AM

nothin to be discouraged about chaps . .
everyday that they don't build that Ingles heap . .
is a great day for the skyline of New York . .
We still have the promise of a great WTC cluster . .
until we get the Ingles blocky shitpile . .

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 7:27 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
nothin to be discouraged about chaps . .
everyday that they don't build that Ingles heap . .
is a great day for the skyline of New York . .
We still have the promise of a great WTC cluster . .
until we get the Ingles blocky shitpile . .
That statement we can agree to!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:36 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
...the Ingles blocky shitpile . .

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:42 PM

I have such mixed feelings on this project. I've been following it forever, and I want the site to be finished already, but I almost would rather it be stuck in construction limbo than have to see the design on the skyline forever. I just don't think it fits with the city, or the site, and I don't think it will age well at all. The design seems better suited for a more gaudy/ non-traditional city like in Asia, or the Middle East.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Wait..., why is this thread in the Construction category when it hasn't been built yet?
Construction actually began on this building years ago. The base of the building has been already built, but it has been put on hold until they can find tenants.

So technically, construction already started. The official status is "on hold".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction