HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I definitely think the corporate income tax could be raised higher. I believe I saw a study somewhere that showed that it has very little influence over where corporations locate (consider how many startups there are in California).

I also heard an interesting idea on the news when I was at the gym yesterday about using the favourable interest rates right now to issue a massive number of bonds to fund an infrastructure bank of sorts that would be devoted to funding a comprehensive infrastructure program across the country.
Many have left California though...would eliminating the corporate income tax be beneficial?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I definitely think the corporate income tax could be raised higher. I believe I saw a study somewhere that showed that it has very little influence over where corporations locate (consider how many startups there are in California).

I also heard an interesting idea on the news when I was at the gym yesterday about using the favourable interest rates right now to issue a massive number of bonds to fund an infrastructure bank of sorts that would be devoted to funding a comprehensive infrastructure program across the country.
In ref to California: I believe that they may have more to offer any business (naturally).
Like weather, road networks and not to mention a population in one state of 38.4 million or about almost 5 million more than all of Canada.
Ontario would have to sweeten the pot to entice relocation of any company. What can we offer cheap labour? cheap power? large immediate customer base? No we can offer more taxation! Yum yum, give me some!!
Ontario would have to really pull out all the rabbits in their hat to compete? Even out corporations use overseas after hour service response lines.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
In ref to California: I believe that they may have more to offer any business (naturally).
Like weather, road networks and not to mention a population in one state of 38.4 million or about almost 5 million more than all of Canada.
Ontario would have to sweeten the pot to entice relocation of any company. What can we offer cheap labour? cheap power? large immediate customer base? No we can offer more taxation! Yum yum, give me some!!
Ontario would have to really pull out all the rabbits in their hat to compete? Even out corporations use overseas after hour service response lines.
A well educated population & synergies with the many industries established here are the main competitive advantages Ontario has. And in the competitive sense, we do have cheap power, because most of North America is more expensive than us. We do have cheaper labour than the US (primarily because of health care), which is part of the reason why Ontario gets so many American IT firms setting up shop here.

California can get away with higher tax rates because of their competitive offerings in other areas. For similar reasons, Ontario can get away with higher CIT rates than other Canadian provinces, but they still have to be low in a North American context. What we have now, where CIT is middle-of-the-road within Canada but lower than all US jurisdictions, works well.

We need to realize that many companies have different needs and thus will look for different climates. For example, in IT, costs are mostly labour which has to be skilled, which means that cheaper skilled labour is the main benefit--we have that, hence why IT in Ontario is growing. For manufacturing, energy costs & access to markets are more important. Economic development strategies need to target. I think that Wynne gets that, thankfully.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:11 PM

The biggest problem with the current government is that it is so narrow-minded on the Golden Horseshoe and treats most other regions (especially the north and southwest) with absolute contempt. Not that the PC's or NDP would do much better...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Continue on the path we're already on. Boosted spending on economy-stimulating sectors while freezing or modestly cutting everything else.

Regarding energy there's really nothing to be done. The costs are being driven by rehab of nuclear, and setting up enough of anything else to replace it entirely would cost just as much. The only exception is bringing back coal but that's unacceptable (environmental costs too high to be worth the reduced energy cost) so we're stuck... unless we want to sell electricity below cost, which is not a good idea in this fiscal climate. In any case even now, and even after hydro goes up another 40% by 2017, our rates are still pretty damn competitive within our region.

Nonetheless, there are some further measures that should be taken, IMO.
1) Elimination of the separate school system--saves money (probably in the low billions) and improves sociocultural conditions too
2) Alcohol reforms. Lower drinking age to 18, allow corner stores & supermarkets to sell beer if they buy a license, allow beer sales at LCBO. All four should bring in more money.
3) Index gas tax rate to inflation
4) Modest increase in the CIT rate, maybe half a percent
I have to disagree with economic stimuli, if by that you mean giving money to business. If a business is failing it should just fail, plus, you see with Chrysler, they were going to take a loan, but then refused because of public opinion.

Hydro may be competitive but why sell it to out of province consumers for less than the cost of production? It would make more sense to stop paying exorbitant rates to green energy producers 2 or 3 times above market rate and even more to not produce during off hours.

Yes, a single school system would make much more sense and allow us to possibly bring back vocational and technical schools. This would make us seem more competitive in the job market.

Lowering the drinking age would be nice, but that is doubtful. Definitely allow beer at supermarkets and corner stores, but somehow Brewers Retail would get in the way. I am sure of it.

With regards to Gas taxes, they should be lowered. Cheaper gas makes transit cheaper which makes food cheaper...etc. Plus most of the tax on gas is a set rate at 14.7 cents per litre, which means that indexing that to inflation would eventually increase the tax on gas to over half the price of the product. If the inflation rate last year was 3% the tax for 2015 would be 15.14 cents per litre, which gets pretty unrealistic.

Raising the CIT would be nice, but also raise the provincial cut of HST a percent would allow ALOT more money to flow into Health and Schools.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 4:34 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
The biggest problem with the current government is that it is so narrow-minded on the Golden Horseshoe and treats most other regions (especially the north and southwest) with absolute contempt. Not that the PC's or NDP would do much better...
Northern Ontario is finally getting millions in highway funding. Sure, it's not all we asked for, but it's a hell of a lot more than the PCs gave us (after cancelling highways, reducing hospital beds by 40% and throwing hundreds of mentally ill patients into the streets and to their death).

And on the ring of fire issue, the Liberals might not have gone full bore with it like Alberta did with it's oil sands, but they did do something that few other provinces have done in their northern regions: respected the demands of the over 50,000 First Nations people who live there to have the project done as responsibly as possible, if at all.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Northern Ontario is finally getting millions in highway funding. Sure, it's not all we asked for, but it's a hell of a lot more than the PCs gave us (after cancelling highways, reducing hospital beds by 40% and throwing hundreds of mentally ill patients into the streets and to their death).

And on the ring of fire issue, the Liberals might not have gone full bore with it like Alberta did with it's oil sands, but they did do something that few other provinces have done in their northern regions: respected the demands of the over 50,000 First Nations people who live there to have the project done as responsibly as possible, if at all.
I doubt the PC's would do any better, especially since they are saying they need to double down on the GTA for the next election...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 4:55 AM
I am a typical

The PCs have clearly given up on Northern Ontario, especially Northwestern Ontario. The only reason they even run candidates here is because a small group of supporters keeps nominating people (shitty people) to run for that party.

Here is how poorly the PCs did in the north last June:

Algoma: 17%
Kenora: 25% (and this, in a riding that elected a Conservative federally)
Nickelbelt: 12%
Nipissing: 42% (Mike Harris' old riding and the PC's only reliable stronghold in the North)
Sault: 12%
Sudbury: 14%
TBay Atikokan: 13%
TBay Superior: 7%
Temiskaming:17%
Timmins: 23%

Out of 282,409 votes cast in the North, 51,360 went to the PCs; that's 18.2%. They're less popular here, than the Federal third party! Less than one in five people actually supports them. Vocally, most support here tends to be for the NDP, but the Liberals get more votes in Thunder Bay. Liberal supporters tend to by very quiet here.

And in Thunder Bay-Superior North, the candidate who was initially chosen to run was called up one day by the president of the TBSN PC Riding association if she would like to run, and she said "sure". She turned out to be racist and got canned (now that she isn't a candidate, she uses a confederate flag as her Facebook background and openly hates native people), and some guy from Waterloo (who is "from" here somehow) ran instead. No one knew who he was.

In 2007, the PCs nearly tied the Greens in Thunder Bay. If it wasn't for the rural area attached to the riding, they would have actually come in fourth.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 9:24 PM

Non partisan solution(s)

Again we revert to finger pointing and political non-sense?
We had an election not too long ago to elect a leader and expect that party in power to LEAD us to prosperity.
If you ain't part of the solution you be part of the problem !
WE are talking drastic measures for a sad state of affairs.
Maybe to put it into perspective we are sooo worried about cigarette smoke. To outlaw smoking on a patio or park.
I am a avid non-smoker who had a parent die of lung cancer attributed to smoking yet where is the sense in making a person stand in the rain (no shelter from a roof).
We got bigger fish to fry. They like the taxes collected off the smokes but penalize the customer.
WE need jobs?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 3:32 AM

The only thing I'm really not for is the single school system. Maybe they should have just 1 catholic and one public school board for ontario, that way money is not being shelled out to like 40 different school boards.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 4:23 AM
I am a typical

Abolish the Catholic boards. Eliminate the duplication.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 1:12 PM

One school board?

At one time we had catholic and public schools then it was separate & public.
In my town in Northern Ontario that was all we had! The Separate or Catholic (I went to) was only funded to Grade 10 so 11 & 12 was paid for by the parents or Diosese.
I have had my children one wanted Separate and one public. No real difference?
Some thing maybe that Christian values are more apparent in a Separate school.
But like any vast Empire built just check out Mississauga and see the 2 Taj Mahals across the street from each other and the obvious $$$$$$ spent not to mention 2X the overhead, maintenance and staff. Parking etc etc.
Ontario is way more diverse now. Amalgumate the schools???
So maybe let the various denominations have every second Friday afternoon last 2 periods to hold educational or worship education. See how many kids show up or make it mandatory!!!!
Might be time to take a real look at this to save some educational funds?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
The only thing I'm really not for is the single school system. Maybe they should have just 1 catholic and one public school board for ontario, that way money is not being shelled out to like 40 different school boards.
Savings through that route would be much more minimal than abolishing the Catholic system and integrating their students into the current public boards. The extra cost of having Catholic schools stems mainly from the parallel duplication of systems over the same geographic area, which effectively reduces the number of schools per capita for each community, thus increasing busing costs.

There's also non-fiscal dimensions to it, of social justice. The existence of the Catholic system is discriminatory against non-Catholics, against the spirit of the constitution (even though there is an exemption in the Charter allowing & requiring them) and of modern society, and leads to job discrimination. Because Catholic schools only hire Catholic teachers, it means that teachers who are RC have a greater pool of jobs to look for which gives them an unfair advantage over non-RC teachers.

The 'raison d'etre' of the Catholic system, the vicious sectarianism that pervaded our society in generations past, is no longer valid. With each passing year the Catholic school system is becoming more and more of an anachronism.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 1:45 AM

doesn't bornagainbiking already have a rant thread to use? should this get merged into there?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 4:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Again we revert to finger pointing and political non-sense?
We had an election not too long ago to elect a leader and expect that party in power to LEAD us to prosperity.
If you ain't part of the solution you be part of the problem !
WE are talking drastic measures for a sad state of affairs.
Maybe to put it into perspective we are sooo worried about cigarette smoke. To outlaw smoking on a patio or park.
I am a avid non-smoker who had a parent die of lung cancer attributed to smoking yet where is the sense in making a person stand in the rain (no shelter from a roof).
We got bigger fish to fry. They like the taxes collected off the smokes but penalize the customer.
WE need jobs?
indignant-crazy-uncle-hanging-out-at-Tim Hortons talk.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2015, 1:39 PM

Looking for reason?

Thank you.
Yes, I'm just a down-home person who looks at the current events and wonder why are we in this situation and sliding backwards?
I like to generate the exchange of views and if you notice for such a OPEN forum about Canada's biggest provine we have only 4 topics in use for the last week. 2 were initiated by me. Political rants SURE!!!
This is one messed up province and maybe some common sense is required?
We got a "Drive Clean" program that the Hamilton Spec exposed as useless and unnessessary 5 yrs ago and it is still in operation.
Now we complain about a corrupt alcohol/beer system that was designed in the 1920s.
Maybe Ontario is starting to wake up and demand to be treated as adults. Are the people of Quebec more mature or responsible.
I guess my point is why are we such a Nanny state? I am smart enought to work and pay taxes but regulated by people who think they know better.
Yet, I see annually the fiscal fiascals that are revealed. Maybe get out of the little things and concentrate on the BIG issues. If you can buy a deck of smokes or a lottery ticket (both regulated and addictive) why not a six pack of beer on the way home from work while you are getting the family milk and bread.
Again thank you for participating in these topics as without them there would be no or very little activity within. Especially when I see the ++20,000 experts judges. Freedom of expression and censorship seems to be an important topic?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Now we complain about a corrupt alcohol/beer system that was designed in the 1920s.
It was designed in the 1920s but there were substantial reforms made in the 1960s/1970s. Before those reforms:
1) the LCBO used to have the Beer Store retail model of asking a clerk to get it for you
2) You had to get an 'drinkers license' from the province to be allowed to shop at the LCBO or Beer Store or order alcohol in a restaurant. Like a drivers license
3) There were weekly quotas on what you were allowed to buy. If you asked a clerk for more than 'what one person could reasonably consume' they would deny your purchase

As bad as it is now, reading stories about what it was 50 years ago, shows we did make a lot of progress. Interestingly enough, most of the 1960s/1970s reforms were motivated not by a desire to loosen puritanism, but as a strategy to increase provincial revenue to pay for all the new demands of the population for universal healthcare, infrastructure, and the welfare state. Similar to why we're discussing alcohol reform now.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 6:29 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
We got a "Drive Clean" program that the Hamilton Spec exposed as useless and unnessessary 5 yrs ago and it is still in operation.
Program was revamped in 2013.

Quote:
I guess my point is why are we such a Nanny state? I am smart enought to work and pay taxes but regulated by people who think they know better.
Then leave. At least I'm sure some of those people know how to write in coherent sentence and paragraph structures.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 11:17 PM
I am a typical

Enter your paycheque into this website:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce.../pdoc-eng.html

If you pick any other province besides Ontario or BC, you pay more in taxes. We might be a nanny state, but it's surprisingly cheap to live here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario