HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 10:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
We own a store across the street from this, and while I love wings and will be very glad to see a WingStop (since there are no wing places in midcity), I thought the whole reason this project was delayed for so long was disapproval over too many chain stores being planned for the site?

I thought that Phase 1 had been approved, which was the new CVS, and tearing down half of the Home Depot building. I didnt know they got the OK to proceed with everything else.

Thanks for the info!

The community saying what they want and what ultimately happens are two different things to be fair. The developers are allowed to do what they want. Certainly some in the community said they wanted less chains so maybe we will see a mix. Remember design review has nothing to do with who leases a space or uses it. I cant speak for the developers but maybe thats why they went for a wing store since there arent any in mid city right now. Im sure the project will turn out nice but I would certainly expect the spaces in the rear to be chains. Thats the only types of businesses that really use that size space. The smaller buildings along the greenway is a different story.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 5:22 PM

Tennis,

From your blog:
Quote:
Looks like Trader Joes may have finally found a spot in New Orleans. They really really wanted the Breaux Mart on Magazine but the owner wouldnt sell.
Any clues as to the potential location, or are you saying that the Breaux Mart is still a possibility? It seems like the Jung or that MidCity retail center would be great locations, although I believe Rouse's may have stipulated that there be no grocery stores next door. The Canal Blvd retail development would be a nice location, but probably isn't large enough. Or perhaps one of the condo developments along Magazine would have the space?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:31 PM
life is good

Jefferson/Freret water project this am

Video Link

I'm down here with the DJI phantom pro 3 drone too lmk if ya'll have any requests and I'll try to get em photographed

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 7:34 PM

Trader Joes

Trader Joes is well under construction on the north side of Veterans Blvd. just east of Causeway

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 9:05 PM

To be clear, referring to the prospect of a Trader Joe's in New Orleans. There is one currently under construction in Metairie.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 11:16 PM
life is good

that building going up on Lee Circle (earlier today)

Video Link

completed new construction on Carondelet

Video Link

sorry for the quality, was in the car (obviously)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
Trader Joes is well under construction on the north side of Veterans Blvd. just east of Causeway
I said a spot in New Orleans. thats metairie

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:21 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Tennis,

From your blog:

Any clues as to the potential location, or are you saying that the Breaux Mart is still a possibility? It seems like the Jung or that MidCity retail center would be great locations, although I believe Rouse's may have stipulated that there be no grocery stores next door. The Canal Blvd retail development would be a nice location, but probably isn't large enough. Or perhaps one of the condo developments along Magazine would have the space?

Breaux mart wont work cause owner wouldnt sell. The location that seems like a go is in the warehouse district on St Charles Avenue. Nothing is 100 percent yet but seems a go.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Breaux mart wont work cause owner wouldnt sell. The location that seems like a go is in the warehouse district on St Charles Avenue. Nothing is 100 percent yet but seems a go.
Uggh. Great win for that neighborhood, but gonna be tough to park. I wish they would have been brave and found a place on Claiborne, or the old Roberts in the LGD.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 9:39 PM
TL;DR

Meh. The Schwegmanns/Robert site on Annunciation should really be something better than a standalone supermarket.

I'd love to see something like the Crescent Club there, a "Texas Donut", maybe with a smaller supermarket on the ground floor and parking in the middle.

The supermarket might need parking but the units really don't need much. The Saulet built 2 spots per unit but lots of them go unrented. They're constantly trying to sell parking to the rest of us in the LGD but street parking is still plentiful.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 4:24 PM

Happy Mardi Gras to y'all!
I was wondering the other day (and it's hard to check these things out in person when you live in Miami)-- is Cafe Habana under construction? We're about 8 months out from when they finally got approval, right?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 10:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
Happy Mardi Gras to y'all!
I was wondering the other day (and it's hard to check these things out in person when you live in Miami)-- is Cafe Habana under construction? We're about 8 months out from when they finally got approval, right?
I think there has been some minor work on the apartment upstairs and thats it. Im not sure what else is going on but all approvals are in place on it. Perhaps they are waiting on streetcar to wrap up to open. But that is supposed to finish in June now.

Happy Mardi Gras as well!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 2:13 AM
-

Pictures from today:

not going to post them all but a few that i think are best! for the full sets see my tumblr!

My house is floating and texturing now:

The Jung:

The Pythian:

The California Building:

[B]Okeefe Garage:
[/

Joie De Vivre Hotel:

Aloft garage rooftop:

Nopsi Hotel:

The Beacon:

Ace Hotel

GNO Foundation :

Cambria Suites:

1476 Magazine Street, Charles A. Rutledge Jr., Magazine Race, LLC

00 Tchoupitoulas St·Renovation (Non-Structural) ·Ref Code: 1E2VG8
Download (5) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
City of New Orleans, Canal Street Development Corporation
Draft Application
Date Filed:
2/10/2016 2:53:43 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Piazza d’ Italia Phase II renovation: Refiurbishing& replacement of fountain equipment, patching plaster, replacing lighting, waterproofing, landscaping; broken stone as per plans and HDLC

True Religion Store 739 Canal

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 11, 2016 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 4:10 AM
TL;DR

Yowza. That Ace Hotel with the Kolumba brick...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 5:07 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yowza. That Ace Hotel with the Kolumba brick...
Yeah it turned out amazing I think!Thanks for saying what it was!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 6:29 AM

Yeah I'm extremely impressed with the Ace Hotel, what a great addition to that area. Thanks as always for the pictures, Tennis.

Is that True Religion store going in at the corner of Canal and Bourbon? If so, that's another t-shirt shop that would be gone.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 4:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
Yeah I'm extremely impressed with the Ace Hotel, what a great addition to that area. Thanks as always for the pictures, Tennis.

Is that True Religion store going in at the corner of Canal and Bourbon? If so, that's another t-shirt shop that would be gone.
Yes it is! Nice upgrade for that corner~

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 4:21 AM

Superdome becomes historical place?!

So apparently the Superdome is now defined on the National Register of Historic Places as of January 26, 2016...I had no idea it was even old enough for this. But this is interesting in the respect of its existence as it is now federally protected. If the Saints were to ever request a new stadium, a tear-down option of the Superdome looks out of the question. Still pretty interesting though. Scroll down to the Louisiana section and it's the fifth item under that section. http://www.nps.gov/nr/listings/20160205.htm

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 5:45 PM

Very interesting. Listing on the NRHP means it'd be eligible for Federal historic tax credits. It's a state-owned property though. Still, I'm guessing there's probably some convoluted scheme by which it could be eligible for credits. Could help a future renovation become a lot more attractive.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 9:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWXGuy1208 View Post
So apparently the Superdome is now defined on the National Register of Historic Places as of January 26, 2016...I had no idea it was even old enough for this. But this is interesting in the respect of its existence as it is now federally protected. If the Saints were to ever request a new stadium, a tear-down option of the Superdome looks out of the question. Still pretty interesting though. Scroll down to the Louisiana section and it's the fifth item under that section. http://www.nps.gov/nr/listings/20160205.htm
Hogwash. NRHP listing means virtually nothing. It just means you have to do a Section 106 review before tearing it down, IF you are using Federal or state money sources. Many NRHP-listed properties came down in the wake of Katrina, even when re-use was totally feasible (Phyllis Wheatley Elementary for example).

Section 106 review costs money and time, and the Feds might ask for a complete set of drawings and photos to be made of the Dome before it comes down. But there's no way it would hold up a project like that if the big players were all in support.

That being said, I'm faintly glad the state found money to rehab the Superdome in recent years, so we spent only a half a billion dollars of taxpayer money instead of the $2B+ that a new stadium would cost. The Superdome is probably the most iconic and unique stadium in the NFL, but that kind of distinction couldn't even save Yankee Stadium from the allure of free taxpayer money...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations