HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
I wonder what the strategy is for floating a trial demolition balloon? Seems like it would only breed acrimony. Maybe just worth it in case it slips through?
Perhaps it's just an opening gambit to tilt future development debate to KMK's favor. Council will be more likely to agree to subdivide the seven acre lot if the KMK compromises and agrees to maintain the building.

Old Posted May 22, 2016, 3:33 PM

The son of the owner of Bryn Mawr / Baird Cottage wrote a letter to Council last week. He argues that because the city failed to prevent the 25 Winter Ave demolition, his mother decided to purchase a new house and let Baird Cottage decay, expecting a sale contingent on demolition to proceed. Preventing demolition now would interfere with the pending sale, causing undue financial hardship on his mother. Thus, the city should either allow demolition to proceed or purchase the property from his mother for $4 million. Otherwise, his mother will sue the city.

I'm not convinced the city has the duty to rectify bad real-estate and financial decisions made by it's wealthier residents. I also find it morally dubious to threaten to sue one's community because one can't make do with a $1.5 million property (current assessment) and needs a $4 million payout.

http://googledrive.com/host/0B2MVLRT...Steinhauer.pdf

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 10:01 PM

Councillor Galgay says IJ Samson Jr High school has been sold in the past few days, any development rumours ?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Councillor Galgay says IJ Samson Jr High school has been sold in the past few days, any development rumours ?
All I know is that it wasn't me who bought it, as much as I would have liked to. I've had my eye on that school since it closed and thought it would be a prime location for an enhanced housing development, perhaps apartments marketed to seniors now living in the neighborhood looking to downsize.

I would like to see the existing buildings retained, a new wing added plus two or three stories added to what is there. That's my vision...let's see how this site gets screwed up if it has indeed been sold.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 6:20 PM

Quote:
It is official as per VOCM ( http://vocm.com/news/i-j-samson-juni...ld-for-189000/ ). What a bargain!! It will be interesting to see what will be proposed...I don't have a good feeling about it.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 12:56 AM

The City Development committee has an item on their next meeting agenda (Dec 13, 2016 ) for the conversion of the old east-end fire hall at the Sheraton ( 90 Duckworth St ) into a microbrewery and cafe !

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 3:59 PM

Quote:
The City Development committee has an item on their next meeting agenda (Dec 13, 2016 ) for the conversion of the old east-end fire hall at the Sheraton ( 90 Duckworth St ) into a microbrewery and cafe !
Nice little project, I hope it goes forward, it would be a nice addition to that area.
I expect there to be some opposition due to the fact that there may be odors associated with the brewing, hopefully it can be addressed.
From the City's point of view they are going to miss out on significant revenue as opposed to the other proposal for that site, the Republic Properties condo/hotel development. I wonder what the sale process was/is of the site, there was a lot of questions raised by some councillors when the original sale to Republic was not competitive?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:46 PM

Anyone else hear Costco was inquiring about land on Kenmount Road and Kelsey Drive?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:56 PM

Nope - but you have my attention!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosey View Post
Anyone else hear Costco was inquiring about land on Kenmount Road and Kelsey Drive?
Kelsey Drive..I doubt it. There isn't enough land left there let alone land that could be leveled-off imo.

Kenmount Road...well there is that huge area by Metro Self Storage that is being cleared/leveled off (can see cut out on Google Maps satellite view). That would certainly be large enough and it would be less on the outskirts than Galway(if that's their thinking).

I'm sceptical though as they have already announced Galway.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
I'm sceptical though as they have already announced Galway.
Skeptical myself but then again, PF Changs was "done", the building nearly complete when they pulled out forcing them to scramble to get Jack Astor's.

Nothing of any consequence is preventing them from walking away from the Galway deal, though I agree with you, it is probably unlikely at this point.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpeddle View Post
Skeptical myself but then again, PF Changs was "done", the building nearly complete when they pulled out forcing them to scramble to get Jack Astor's.

Nothing of any consequence is preventing them from walking away from the Galway deal, though I agree with you, it is probably unlikely at this point.
The scale with Costco is different than some restaurant. If they change their minds it would be before they decide to start building.

Anybody know if Costco has actually started building yet in Galway?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
The scale with Costco is different than some restaurant. If they change their minds it would be before they decide to start building.

Anybody know if Costco has actually started building yet in Galway?
Last I was told is city will not issue a permit for construction until certain infrastructure is in place. Pretty much why Danny Williams is in court with the city right now.

That is why Costco checked on areas outside Galway as they were hoping the building would be finished by now and sick of waiting but I guess the cheap land is keeping them in Galway. Also it would be about 6 months from start to finish to complete construction so this new building is just dragging on.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosey View Post
Last I was told is city will not issue a permit for construction until certain infrastructure is in place. Pretty much why Danny Williams is in court with the city right now.

That is why Costco checked on areas outside Galway as they were hoping the building would be finished by now and sick of waiting but I guess the cheap land is keeping them in Galway. Also it would be about 6 months from start to finish to complete construction so this new building is just dragging on.
Is this part of the rumour or your own speculation?

Either way I have I hard time buying it. Kelsey Drive seems unrealistic. Kenmount Rd. maybe...though it wouldn't be directly near a highway like Stavanger or Galway (but maybe that's not a absolute must for Costco).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:54 PM

A few weeks ago Dean MacDonald was on open line discussing the proposed ECHL team with Paddy and he mentioned that there would be an announcement soon on a hotel/condo development at the bottom of Hamilton Avenue. Dean MacDonald is the owner of Deacon Investments who had planned on building a 'flat-iron' style office tower on that pie-shaped lot on Hamilton and Job Street a few years ago. The concept renderings are still on Fougere-Menchenton's website.

Has anyone heard anything further on this?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 10:13 PM

^Haven't heard anything, though we do know for certain that the Deacon Investments proposal has been cancelled so it would have to be a new development/design.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:09 PM

Mt Pearl

I see on a facebook post that there is an application to put a Starbucks on the bigger Irving site on Commonwealth Ave. Apparently tearing down the old garage part, don't know about fate of the Irving itself as there is another a few feet away...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctttmmy View Post
I see on a facebook post that there is an application to put a Starbucks on the bigger Irving site on Commonwealth Ave. Apparently tearing down the old garage part, don't know about fate of the Irving itself as there is another a few feet away...
Interesting. I would imagine parking/ingress/egress would be problematic there. All those lower Commonwealth businesses are difficult in traffic.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Interesting. I would imagine parking/ingress/egress would be problematic there. All those lower Commonwealth businesses are difficult in traffic.

This application was put in over 2 years ago and was eventually approved by council, but after a lengthy time period unfortunately....at which time the proponents had pulled out and nothing came of it. From what I heard at the time, the end of the building (towards KFC) would be torn down to accommodate a drive-thru lane for the coffee shop. The parking lot is actually massive and underused compared to other Commonwealth Avenue businesses. The other end unit would have been a renovated Circle K and there was room for a third business in the middle....which I heard was to be Domino's moving from across the street. Domino's has since decided to stay in that location, leasing the adjacent unit and expanding and renovating their business.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 5:12 PM

Been hearing rumours of another potential big box leaving Stavanger Drive. Someone mentioned yesterday that Best Buy are going west to Galway also. Anyone else hear anything about this. Or just a load of balony?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's