HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 4, 2006, 6:11 AM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
sorry i misread...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 3:26 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee
sorry i misread...
Yeah unfortunately, these are some pretty dark times for Harrisburg.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2006, 6:17 AM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Yeah unfortunately, these are some pretty dark times for Harrisburg.
man this sucks dude. i remember reading through this thread and lauding all the good things going on there... what happened? how can something like this be allowed to occur?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 4:47 AM

With all the depressing news as of late, I would like to insert one bit of news I am very excited about (pitiful as it may be). Five Guys Burgers is opening it's first H'burg location in High Pointe Commons (yes, the new target near the other target). If you have never had their burgers, they're wunderbar! Possibly the only redeeming aspect of the entire project!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 5:21 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee
man this sucks dude. i remember reading through this thread and lauding all the good things going on there... what happened? how can something like this be allowed to occur?
Sadly, because Harrisburg politics are always at work...this is a prime example of what happens when only a few have WAY too much power and no one is there to keep that in check.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 7:48 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingy04
With all the depressing news as of late, I would like to insert one bit of news I am very excited about (pitiful as it may be). Five Guys Burgers is opening it's first H'burg location in High Pointe Commons (yes, the new target near the other target). If you have never had their burgers, they're wunderbar! Possibly the only redeeming aspect of the entire project!

HARRISBURG

Taller-buildings plan returns
Proposal would affect structures from Reily to Maclay streets

Tuesday, November 07, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

A long-delayed proposal to allow taller buildings along a section of Harrisburg's Front Street is back before the City Council in a modified form.

The zoning change that would allow residential buildings up to 110 feet in height would apply to a smaller portion of Front Street than earlier proposed and would be limited to condominium development, not hotels.

City officials are separately considering a second zoning amendment that would clear the way for proposed hotels along Restaurant Row and in other sections, but not on Front Street.

The final committee meeting on the hotel amendment, needed to clear the way for developer J. Alex Hartzler's plan to build a 148-room hotel at State and North Second streets, is set for 5:30 p.m. Thursday in city hall.

The council is expected to vote this month on both proposed changes.

The condo proposal would raise building height limits from 45 feet to 110 feet on a six-block portion of Front Street between Reily and Maclay streets.

The change originally would have extended to Verbeke Street, but residents expressed fears of losing their river views if a large building was erected on a vacant lot at Front and Verbeke streets.

The Verbeke tract is now left out, but the change would bolster a plan to develop the Tracy Mansion in the 1800 block of North Front into a restaurant and up to 50 luxury condos.

Last May, Susquehanna Real Estate announced plans to build a 92-foot-high condominium on a lot next to the mansion. Units would start at about $300,000.

But the project had to await the zoning changes, which were put on hold when Councilman Dan Miller ordered a rewrite of the proposed amendment.

Miller said he hopes to have the height limit zoning changes before the full council for a vote Nov. 28.

City officials say the zoning changes are necessary to spur development of several vacant or underutilized parcels in that area. The ordinance also stipulates that developers could not bulldoze pre-1950 buildings to make way for projects.

Dan Leppo, the city's building and housing director, said the proposal would allow Front Street to maintain its charm while accommodating development that often must be built higher for investors to turn a profit.

A 110-foot building is not unprecedented on Front Street. Linden Terrace, a retirement high-rise built in 1978, is that tall.

Developers would have to meet a series of conditions related to a building's amenities, landscaping, tract size and floor space to win approval to build that high, Leppo said.

City resident Bill Warren, who described himself as being on the leading edge of retiring baby boomers, advocated more condo development.

"It's an opportunity to retain residents like me ... and better yet, attract people back into the city," he said. "There's plenty more behind me."

Charles R. Peguese, vice chairman of the Harrisburg Redevelopment Authority, noted that the city is far behind when it comes to condo development, long a fast-growing housing sector in cities such as Philadelphia and Baltimore.

"Philadelphia has gone condominium crazy; but it's the one area, of all the other development in town, that we need to address," he said. "There is a need and there is an attraction there, and I don't think Harrisburg should be left behind."

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 1:55 AM
joining the rail club

^ great news. any word on the 2nd street hotel proposal? i really hope it doesn't get scrapped because of the proposed height....14 floors will make a great addition to the city and it really won't harm the view of the capitol from the river.

as for myself...i'm currently activated at ft. belvoir, va...just outside DC. i'll be here for another 5 months or so. what really strikes me as significant here, is the fact that harrisburg seems to be modeling itself in some way to DC's developed height and building restrictions. numorous low and midrise buildings seem to be the cornerstones to scattered dense residential neighborhoods. it seems like every major highrise proposal to come across the planning board is downgraded in some fashion and ends up being 14, 16, 18 floors...instead of 25...

i'm not going to really complain that much...because as i see it, any new multi-level development is going to be significant enough to help the city and region...but it would definately be nice to see some real upward growth in the cities core CBD.

as for all the negative highlights about the 'burg of late...i really wouldn't put too much stock in it. passing through harrisburg the other day, the city still seems to be moving forward IMO. there is still an incredible amount of new building construction and infrastructure projects and everytime i drive through parts of the city...it seems as though i'm seeing something new. the new university is up and running and i think it's going to have a huge impact on the city's night life and culture in general. having hundreds to potential thousands of new college students roaming DT is going to turn harrisburg into a real college "town". as for the cities budget crisis...it seems as though that is the current trend. if philly and pittsburgh and septa can make it through it...then so can harrisburg. at least we're talking about city government here and laying off 30+ people....and not state government and thousands of area workers. it would devastate the economy and would definately be a lot worse. i guess i'm thinking positive here.

Last edited by wrightchr; Nov 8, 2006 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 4:22 PM
Me?!?

/\
I wish I could share your optimism, Chris, but then I read things like this...a few more rounds of layoffs are on its way, with more after that even.

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040

FOR IMMEDIATE USE
1 Nov 2006

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today said city government has now been forced to undertake additional layoff of some city employees as a direct result of City Council action at their October 31st session.

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today said city government has now been forced to undertake additional layoff of some city employees as a direct result of City Council action at their October 31st session.

Reed said: “Council was presented a clear plan to eliminate most of the deficit at no cost to current or future tax revenues, which would also have prevented further layoffs. The choice was simple. Solve the deficit issue and retain public safety and other essential staff or leave half the deficit in place and order the layoff of police and others. Half of Council chose the latter.

“It is one of the most defining votes ever taken by any Council and left absolutely no doubt that their intent is to diminish the capacity of government to serve our citizens.

“When they had the chance to take immediate effective action to settle all the pending fiscal issues, they refused to do it, choosing instead to create disruption, layoffs and public service reductions. This is not responsible leadership nor is it responsible public service.

“The action of these several Council members is disturbing and reprehensible because they did not have to do this. There was a clear, far more positive alternative. When it comes to protecting our citizens and property, and when it comes to assuring basic services to the public, they have made it obvious where they stand. They are against it,” Reed said. “Harrisburg deserves far better.”

The mayor said Council President Vera White, Council Budget Committee Chair Wanda Williams and Council Public Safety Committee Chair Patty Kim deserve commendation for standing up for public safety and solving the deficit issue.

“These Council members know and understand the issues and responsibly sought a proper solution. Unfortunately the division within Council itself on this and so many other matters stood in their way,” Reed said.

Additional layoffs will soon commence, with the next round occurring in the third week of November, to take effect immediately, and a subsequent round of notices being issued in December that will take effect the first week of January. Still further layoffs are almost certain to occur after these next two rounds.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 10:13 PM

And with this, as well as the Capital City Mall improvements, the west shore is finally equal to the east shore in shopping. But with the Camp Hill Super Giant and Wegmans, the best grocery store options are definetely on the west shore.

Construction under way on shopping center

Silver Spring Township

By Joseph Cress, Sentinel Reporter, November 9, 2006

Construction is well under way on a shopping center along the Carlisle Pike that could feature two stores new to the mid-state.

It would appear developer Regency Centers has tenants for six of its 24 retail spaces and two of the six restaurants planned for Silver Spring Square.

The list includes a Wegmans Food Market and an Ulta store and salon - billed as a "one-stop-shop" for beauty needs.

Both store chains have no presence in south-central Pennsylvania, according to their respective Web sites, www.wegmans.com and www.ulta. com.

Ulta has 11 stores in Pennsylvania, with one in Altoona and the rest in either the Pittsburgh or Philadelphia areas.

Wegmans also has 11 stores in the state, including two in Erie and one each in Scranton, Downington, Wilkes Barre, Williamsport, Allentown, Nazareth, Bethlehem, Warrington and State College.

Wegmans moving ahead

Jeanne Colleluori, spokeswoman for Wegmans Food Market, said workers have completed the foundation and are now starting to put up the steel frame of the new store, tentatively scheduled to open in the fall of 2007.

Wegmans plans to open an employment office at the site in early January to begin hiring 500 employees, about a third of which will be full-time.

"We do hire quite early in the process," she said. "Our employees go through extensive training."

She said part-time workers will be hired later in the year.

When choosing a site, Wegmans looks for a combination of easy access and a densely populated area for a strong customer base, Colleluori said.

"Most of our growth is moving down toward the mid-Atlantic region," she added.

The typical Wegmans features a market cafe area, a sushi bar, a variety of ethnic foods from around the world and an on-site bakery where fresh bread and rolls are made daily in a brick oven.

Regency Centers has posted a list of tenants on its Web site - www.regencycenters.com - as part of the marketing information for the 486,000-square-foot retail center being built in Silver Spring Township at the intersection with Lambs Gap Road.

Permits issued

Township manager Bill Cook said building permits have been issued in recent weeks for both the 130,000-square-foot Wegmans and 139,000-square-foot Target store planned for the rear of the project site.

Joshua Thomas, spokesman for Target Corp., said construction has begun on a general merchandise store that could have its grand opening next summer.

Target is advertising a pharmacist position for the new store on careers.target.com.
Silver Spring Square’s anchor stores are seen at the top of this diagram. Other known stores are pointed out.

Cook said permits have also been issued for Store Building H, which has 14 retail spaces varying from 1,200 to 3,200 square feet located on the west end of the site, which used to sport a flea market, speedway and mobile home park.

Permits also have been issued for "junior" anchor stores C and D on the east side, which the Regency Centers Web site identifies as future spaces for a Ross Dress for Less and a Bed Bath and Beyond. The developer 's Web site shows the Ulta store and salon and a Lane Bryant store will be located in the east building.

Cook said the township issued permits for a LongHorn Steakhouse and a Chili's Grille & Bar to be located on either side of the main entrance off the Carlisle Pike.

The curbing and a "good bit" of the paving is done at the construction site and multiple buildings are under construction, said Cook, who visited the property Monday.

He added work is underway on road improvements along the pike and on a new bridge off Lambs Gap Road crossing the Conodoguinent Creek towards the rear of the site.

"It is a beehive of activity," Cook said, "a lot of intense activity."

Calls to Regency Centers staff overseeing the project were not returned by press time.

The LongHorn Steakhouse is due to open in mid-March, according to company spokesperson ShaJuan Chance. "You will see a big 'Now Hiring' sign posted a couple of weeks before the restaurant is set to open," she said.

LongHorn is advertising on its Web site a restaurant manager position for the new location in Silver Spring Township. The chain has 11 locations in Pennsylvania, with the nearest one in Lancaster.

Calls to other store chains mentioned on the developer Web site were not returned.

Link: http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2...ws/news642.txt

I can tell you that people in Mechanicsburg are very excited for Wegmans, but there have been a lot of rumors floating around...one being that construction has been delayed for the Target and Wegmans because a lot of oil was apparently dumped behind the old racetrack (where the two stores are being built) and they had to clean it all out before they could start work on the foundation, and I think this might be true considering the frame for all the buildings are up except for the Target and Wegmans. Another rumor is that they are having big time trouble getting tenants for the shopping center, and several have already pulled out. We'll see. Could just be the typical negativity and gossipiness of this area

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 10:58 PM
Me?!?

/\
I don't know what to say...how silly! No matter waht the issue, fix it and let's move on! Jeez, can't the area just complete something FOR ONCE!

Well here is some more great news...UGH! The city did this same exact thing to The Vault to run them out of business, so I am not surprised at all that they are now going for Dragonfly's throat. Laying off a record number of police and then trying to close down clubs that *sometimes* require police assistance? Coincidence? I think not...

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Club owner disputes link to gunfire
By Jerry L. Gleason and Tom Bowman/The Patriot-News

Following a report early this morning of gunfire two blocks away, Dragonfly Club owner Judd Goodman was surprised to learn that city officials were linking a non-injury shooting incident to possible patrons of his club.

At about 1:30 a.m., police answered a call at River Alley and Pine Street for reports of gunshots — about two blocks north of the Dragonfly.

City spokesman Randy King said Dragonfly, at 234 North Second St., has been warned about booking acts that draw a problem crowd. The city is considering trying to close the club, King said.

Method Man, a rap and hip-hop star who played last night, has a thug following, King said.

“The city has repeatedly warned Dragonfly owner Judd Goodman about booking this type of act and the problems it inevitably draws to the downtown,” King said. “His refusal to voluntarily curb this type of programming may result in the city pursuing nuisance bar closure action against him.”

Goodman said the performance at the club, which ended at 2 a.m., after the reported gunfire, didn’t draw the kind of following King was referring to.

"Method Man is a mainstream act, and we had a very diverse crowd, with people ranging from 25 to over 50 years of age,” he said. “Nothing happened in the club or immediately outside the club. We didn’t have any problems of any kind.”

No one was injured in the shootings, and police made no arrest. Officers found 12 empty shells from three different handguns and at least one of the shots went through a window of a home in the 100 block of South Street, King said.

Goodman said he avoids booking acts that might draw problem crowds.

“My programming is very similar to other places in the downtown area,” he said. “Randy may be a little off on this one,” he said. “There is no way of knowing who [the shooters] were or where they had been prior to the shootings.”

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 3:33 AM

This is a HUGE step for a project that many thought would be dead. We could use some more good news like this. I'll take anything to help get the city back on its feet.

Council committee recommends zoning OK for Restaurant Row hotel
By John Luciew
Of The Patriot-News

After some white-knuckle moments, the developer of a proposed hotel for Harrisburg’s Restaurant Row expressed confidence last night that his $10 million project will win city approval and meet its tight schedule.
“I’m very optimistic,” said J. Alex Hartzler, president of WCI Partners, the Harrisburg real estate investment group that proposes a 168-foot tall hotel for State and North Second streets.
Hartzler was buoyed by last night’s 3-1 committee vote recommending that the full city council approve zoning changes that would clear the way for the project.
The zoning amendment, which would allow hotel construction along the full extent of Restaurant Row and the central business district, is on the agenda for the council’s meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday in city hall.
Construction plans for the Starwood Aloft brand hotel are already scheduled for votes by the city planning commission and the zoning hearing board within the next 10 days. “It puts us right on track,” Hartzler said.
The developer had been concerned that the opposition of councilman Dan Miller, chair of the council’s economic development committee, would delay the approval schedule and derail the project.
Miller was the lone member of the committee to oppose recommending the zoning changes last night. He also is on the record with his opposition to the hotel, maintaining it is out of character for State Street and would block views of the capitol.
Hartzler said the hotel would be part of a new product line being rolled out by Starwood, which manages hotel brands including Westin and Sheraton. Harrisburg would be among about a dozen cities getting the new brand, along with the likes of Charleston, S.C., and Richmond, Va.
The boutique-style Starwood Aloft brand would target young business travelers who enjoy Restaurant Row’s night life, he said.
“It’s a great opportunity for the city,” Hartzler said.
The project has picked up the backing of groups including Historic Harrisburg Association and the Harrisburg Regional Chamber of Commerce. Council President Vera Jean White said the city has received “stacks” of letters and e-mails supporting it.
“I don’t think this is a low-end zoning change,” said chamber director David Black, countering an argument by Miller that the change would lead to a development “free-for-all” in the city.
The hotel would stand 14 floors and boast 100,000 square feet of space, with 148 rooms, an outdoor pool, street-level retail space, and a lounge and 140-seat restaurant with a sidewalk cafe on State Street.
Current zoning limits buildings to 45 feet in the area nearest State Street and 60 feet on the rest of the lot.
Hartzler pointed out that the hotel would not be much taller than the 12-story State Street Building at the northwest corner of State and North Third streets, or the eight-story building on the southwest corner of that intersection. In addition, a 12-story parking garage is under construction to the rear of the site, along South Street.
Nevertheless, the project will need a special exception to the height limits from the zoning hearing board. The construction plans also must come back to council for final approval, likely before the end of the year.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 6:43 AM

Quote:
/\
I don't know what to say...how silly! No matter waht the issue, fix it and let's move on! Jeez, can't the area just complete something FOR ONCE!

Well here is some more great news...UGH! The city did this same exact thing to The Vault to run them out of business, so I am not surprised at all that they are now going for Dragonfly's throat. Laying off a record number of police and then trying to close down clubs that *sometimes* require police assistance? Coincidence? I think not...

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Club owner disputes link to gunfire
By Jerry L. Gleason and Tom Bowman/The Patriot-News

Following a report early this morning of gunfire two blocks away, Dragonfly Club owner Judd Goodman was surprised to learn that city officials were linking a non-injury shooting incident to possible patrons of his club.

At about 1:30 a.m., police answered a call at River Alley and Pine Street for reports of gunshots — about two blocks north of the Dragonfly.

City spokesman Randy King said Dragonfly, at 234 North Second St., has been warned about booking acts that draw a problem crowd. The city is considering trying to close the club, King said.

Method Man, a rap and hip-hop star who played last night, has a thug following, King said.

“The city has repeatedly warned Dragonfly owner Judd Goodman about booking this type of act and the problems it inevitably draws to the downtown,” King said. “His refusal to voluntarily curb this type of programming may result in the city pursuing nuisance bar closure action against him.”

Goodman said the performance at the club, which ended at 2 a.m., after the reported gunfire, didn’t draw the kind of following King was referring to.

"Method Man is a mainstream act, and we had a very diverse crowd, with people ranging from 25 to over 50 years of age,” he said. “Nothing happened in the club or immediately outside the club. We didn’t have any problems of any kind.”

No one was injured in the shootings, and police made no arrest. Officers found 12 empty shells from three different handguns and at least one of the shots went through a window of a home in the 100 block of South Street, King said.

Goodman said he avoids booking acts that might draw problem crowds.

“My programming is very similar to other places in the downtown area,” he said. “Randy may be a little off on this one,” he said. “There is no way of knowing who [the shooters] were or where they had been prior to the shootings.”

I've had two run-ins with the Harrisburg police. One was for running a red light at 2nd and market (it was one of those yellow turning red lights, dumb place to test my luck I know). I stopped at Walnut and within minutes I was surrounded on all four sides by police cars. They had me sitting there, while onlookers at Bourbon St Saloon were taking pictures of me, for at least 20 minutes while the at least 7-8 officers just stood there joking around.

The second time I was minding my own business with a friend in 2nd street pizza, when the cops sprayed pepper spray into a large group of black girls standing in the doorway. I had no idea why then, and still none to this day. Anyway, by the time I could make it out (the pepper spray barely affected me, but my poor friend has asthma and was coughing the rest of the night) there was about 5 cop cars and 15ish cops. The black girls started getting rowdy and yelling racism, and the cops just arrested them all.

I don't know why I told those stories...but uh yea the cops definetely spend a lot of time downtown. I can't help but wonder why I needed so many cops for a simple offense...and the incident outside 2nd street pizza was very bizarre (not sure if I would consider that racism or not). I wish I wasn't drunk when it all happened lol.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingy04
This is a HUGE step for a project that many thought would be dead. We could use some more good news like this. I'll take anything to help get the city back on its feet.

Council committee recommends zoning OK for Restaurant Row hotel
By John Luciew
Of The Patriot-News

After some white-knuckle moments, the developer of a proposed hotel for Harrisburg’s Restaurant Row expressed confidence last night that his $10 million project will win city approval and meet its tight schedule.
“I’m very optimistic,” said J. Alex Hartzler, president of WCI Partners, the Harrisburg real estate investment group that proposes a 168-foot tall hotel for State and North Second streets.
Hartzler was buoyed by last night’s 3-1 committee vote recommending that the full city council approve zoning changes that would clear the way for the project.
The zoning amendment, which would allow hotel construction along the full extent of Restaurant Row and the central business district, is on the agenda for the council’s meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday in city hall.
Construction plans for the Starwood Aloft brand hotel are already scheduled for votes by the city planning commission and the zoning hearing board within the next 10 days. “It puts us right on track,” Hartzler said.
The developer had been concerned that the opposition of councilman Dan Miller, chair of the council’s economic development committee, would delay the approval schedule and derail the project.
Miller was the lone member of the committee to oppose recommending the zoning changes last night. He also is on the record with his opposition to the hotel, maintaining it is out of character for State Street and would block views of the capitol.
Hartzler said the hotel would be part of a new product line being rolled out by Starwood, which manages hotel brands including Westin and Sheraton. Harrisburg would be among about a dozen cities getting the new brand, along with the likes of Charleston, S.C., and Richmond, Va.
The boutique-style Starwood Aloft brand would target young business travelers who enjoy Restaurant Row’s night life, he said.
“It’s a great opportunity for the city,” Hartzler said.
The project has picked up the backing of groups including Historic Harrisburg Association and the Harrisburg Regional Chamber of Commerce. Council President Vera Jean White said the city has received “stacks” of letters and e-mails supporting it.
“I don’t think this is a low-end zoning change,” said chamber director David Black, countering an argument by Miller that the change would lead to a development “free-for-all” in the city.
The hotel would stand 14 floors and boast 100,000 square feet of space, with 148 rooms, an outdoor pool, street-level retail space, and a lounge and 140-seat restaurant with a sidewalk cafe on State Street.
Current zoning limits buildings to 45 feet in the area nearest State Street and 60 feet on the rest of the lot.
Hartzler pointed out that the hotel would not be much taller than the 12-story State Street Building at the northwest corner of State and North Third streets, or the eight-story building on the southwest corner of that intersection. In addition, a 12-story parking garage is under construction to the rear of the site, along South Street.
Nevertheless, the project will need a special exception to the height limits from the zoning hearing board. The construction plans also must come back to council for final approval, likely before the end of the year.

Very good news, I'm sure when all is said and done the hotel will pass. I'm actually going to be positive for a moment and say that I think Harrisburg is about to head into a highrise boom of sorts. Harrisburg University tower already approved, 14-floor hotel, condo tower in uptown, and lifted height limit along Front St allowing for a possible condo tower near Riley.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 7:01 AM
Me?!?

/\
14 stories is not that much at the end of the day but eh, whatever, 'tis MUCH better than nothing! I still must wonder if Harrisburg will ever get a true high-rise, though, or will it always be DC-ish in its design (not a bad thing by any means mind you, just curious).

Anyway, this is AWESOME news and here is to hoping it gets the final approval and moves forward! HBG needs some good news for once!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 6:40 PM

Harrisburg begins using biodiesel in vehicles
Harrisburg began using biodiesel fuel this week in its diesel-operated vehicles, Mayor Stephen R. Reed said in a written statement. United Biofuels has agreed to provide the city with the fuel made with soybean oil, Reed said. The soybeans used to make the oil are grown on midstate farms, Reed added. The cost of the fuel is just less than the average price of a gallon of regular diesel fuel, Reed said. The price of the cleaner-burning biodiesel is about $2.10 per gallon, and will save the city at least $5,250 annually, Reed said. Agencies for which Harrisburg provides fuel services are also using the biofuel, including the Harrisburg School District, the Commonwealth of PA, Dauphin County, Borough of Steelton, Community Life Team and other city authorities and agencies, Reed said. About 35,000 gallons of diesel fuel are used per month by the city and other agencies combined, Reed said. - Eric Veronikis

If it's going to be cheaper, then that's good.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 10:03 AM
Baryonic Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman
Harrisburg begins using biodiesel in vehicles
Harrisburg began using biodiesel fuel this week in its diesel-operated vehicles, Mayor Stephen R. Reed said in a written statement. United Biofuels has agreed to provide the city with the fuel made with soybean oil, Reed said. The soybeans used to make the oil are grown on midstate farms, Reed added. The cost of the fuel is just less than the average price of a gallon of regular diesel fuel, Reed said. The price of the cleaner-burning biodiesel is about $2.10 per gallon, and will save the city at least $5,250 annually, Reed said. Agencies for which Harrisburg provides fuel services are also using the biofuel, including the Harrisburg School District, the Commonwealth of PA, Dauphin County, Borough of Steelton, Community Life Team and other city authorities and agencies, Reed said. About 35,000 gallons of diesel fuel are used per month by the city and other agencies combined, Reed said. - Eric Veronikis

If it's going to be cheaper, then that's good.
this town better shape up or ship out.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2006, 3:42 PM
Me?!?

/\

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 6:22 AM
Me?!?

Well I was in da 'burg this weekend for a wedding. Some observations:
  • State St. is looking pretty darn good, and I love the improvements. Not exactly what I pictured it would be but it definitely works.
  • What a piece of sprawled out crap that new High Pointe Commons is. The strip mall itself is quite nice (as far as strip malls go) but my issue is with all of the land they gobbled up for nothing but pavement.
  • I was at the Holiday Inn West but stayed far away from the Hardware Bar West. Just like the one DT, I could tell it was not my cup of tea at all.
  • A drunk girl from said Hardware Bar stumbled onto Carlisle Pike, was hit by a car and had to be air lifted out.
  • It seems like the area is demolishing a lot and not replacing it with anything, which is a really bad sign (areas on Rt. 22 in Lower Paxton for example).
  • Oasis burned...would've loved to have been there to see that, as witnesses told me the nasty strippers were running out in all of their glory.
  • HBG really is the sunbelt of PA, especially on the Pike. Wow, another TGI Fridays in the area...who would've guessed?!?
It was nice seeing the little changes but all in all I saw nothing too moving. It was a nice visit and I will look forward to stopping by from time to time in the future, but I am very happy I have moved on...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 9:18 PM

Just thought I'd throw this on, since it's going on in the neighborhood.

High’s development plans take step forward
Jessica Bair
Central Penn Business Journal Staff
11/14/2006

Manheim Township commissioners last night approved the amendment of a zoning ordinance that will permit High Real Estate Group to apply to build a commercial development, said Township Manager Jim Martin. The proposed 85-acre site, which will be named the Crossings at Conestoga Creek, is at the intersection of the Harrisburg Pike and Route 30, near the Park City Center in Lancaster County, Martin said. The commissioners required High to do a traffic study and present a road-improvement plan.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 10:20 PM

A few pictures of the proposed hotel at 2nd and State streets:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations