HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 3:35 AM

Question Help a fellow SSP buy a home in Kingston?

I would really appreciate any input, and I hope its okay to post this:

Our budget is $500,000 give or take.

The motive behind my post is both curiosity and need. If you want to suggest where we may want to look, here is some criteria we have:

1. Kids go to French public school, we would reluctantly consider French immersion if necessary
2. I would most likely work at Queens or a major hospital and would like to bus to work
3. We would like to be cycling distance to the CFB Kingston <5km ideally
4. We like trendy areas with good independent stores such as an organic market, great bakeries etc.
5. We would like to rent two rooms to students
6. Must be easy to sell on short notice if necessary.

If you wish to help us consider areas to view (I only approach a realtor after doing my own research and so I will not ask a Realtor at this point just yet), I very much appreciate it. I am happy to answer any questions if you need further information.

Thank you!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 10:48 PM

$500k will get you pretty much anything you want in Kingston, short of a waterfront mansion. Real estate in this city is cheap.

Kingston is served by the French public school system (CÉPEO)--a high school & elementary school. http://www.cepeo.on.ca

Based on all you said I'd recommend the McBurney Park area, because:
-Just north of lower downtown, where all the trendy shops are
-You can walk to Queen's. About a 15-25 minute walk depending on where in the area you are. But if you want to bus that's an option too, the area's main bus routes (#1 & #2) both go to Queen's.
-You're about 2-3km from the base. Easy bike ride.
-Queen's is nearby so students will certainly rent up. The going rate for student rentals in McBurney Park is about $400-$500 per bedroom per month.

The expense of housing in the area depends on age. It's an old neighbourhood, goes back to the early 19th century, and some of the houses are in need of renovations. Depending on quality of housing you're looking at anything from $150k to $350k.

Another option would be Sydenham neighbourhood (even closer to Queen's, about the same distance to downtown--literally on the other side of DT from McBurney Park) but there you'll be pushing the upper limit of your budget (it's a ritzy area), and if you're by the water you'll actually exceed it. Also student noise is pretty bad down there, if that's something that bugs you.

EDIT: Here's a map.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 5:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Sounds like you can get a nice home.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario