HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 7:49 PM

Panhandling in Halifax

Probably typical of any city but has anyone noticed that the areas where pandhandlers are common..(tim hortons on spring garden road, robie street/quinpool, windsorstreet/kempt rd etc.) There always seems to be a different individual working these high traffic areas...it almost seems like they have developed a union or shared work schedual. Has panhandling become monopolized by a union of homeless or poor individuals who seem to own or share territory? Its kind of humorous

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedWilliamsHead View Post
Probably typical of any city but has anyone noticed that the areas where pandhandlers are common..(tim hortons on spring garden road, robie street/quinpool, windsorstreet/kempt rd etc.) There always seems to be a different individual working these high traffic areas...it almost seems like they have developed a union or shared work schedual. Has panhandling become monopolized by a union of homeless or poor individuals who seem to own or share territory? Its kind of humorous
It's not strange at all. Territory is important to everyone, rich or poor, and strong territorialization of space is especially common with more marginalized groups.

It's -20 today in Halifax with the windchill - it's important that emergency shelters in the city have funding to operate throughout the winter months.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
It's -20 today in Halifax with the windchill - it's important that emergency shelters in the city have funding to operate throughout the winter months.
Unfortunately that has nothing to do with the question at hand.

I am not sure of the laws regarding panhandling but they either need to be beefed up or enforced. Having people walking in the middle of traffic seeking money is ridiculous. Nor should the public be forced to run a gauntlet of aggressive panhandlers on SGR.

If the panners have a union I encourage them to set up wireless interac/credit card technology for their members. One of the good things about tech is that I no longer need to carry change or cash, so I can ignore these people with a clear conscience.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:11 AM

I gave $5 to a pandhandler on SGR about a year ago, and about an hour later I saw him buying a meal at MacDonalds with a debit card. Real awkward for that guy, I thought it was funny personally.

Most of them are phoneys anyways, get em off the streets.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:20 AM

A lot of the young ones are in fact rich and spoiled so they for some reason choose too live on the street, probably to piss off there parents. I agree get um off the street.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 3:39 PM

I had no idea that interviews and rigurous statistical surveys had been carried out by members of our forum to reveal the truth of panhandling. Truly it is eye-opening to realize that all the people on the streets are simply lazy or faking it. Who knew that some of those fatcats had things like debit cards! I bet they planned to live on the street from the time they were small. Here I was under the mistaken impression that homelessness and panhandling were more complicated social issues tied into a variety of other problems like mental illness, substance abuse, troubled youth etc that our society has been ill-equipped to deal with. Good to know I don't have to demand more comprehensive action from municipal, provincial and federal decision-makers. After all, those bums should all just get a job.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I had no idea that interviews and rigurous statistical surveys had been carried out by members of our forum to reveal the truth of panhandling. Truly it is eye-opening to realize that all the people on the streets are simply lazy or faking it. Who knew that some of those fatcats had things like debit cards! Here I was under the mistaken impression that homelessness and panhandling were more complicated social issues tied into a variety of other problems like mental illness, substance abuse, troubled youth etc that our society has been ill-equipped to deal with. Good to know I don't have to demand more comprehensive action from municipal, provincial and federal decision-makers. After all, those bums should all just get a job.
Cormiermax even knows that the youngest of them are "in fact" rich. How can you argue with such facts

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 5:25 PM

Hey, a lot of them are. Are you saying some aren't?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:11 PM

I'm usually the pinko/Lefty on here; however, most social services agencies advocate against giving money to panhandlers, and instead suggest giving directly to charities that provide direct services. There are young people who drive into the city, pay to park their cars, and then 'beg' for money. I refuse to contribute to panhandling, but i give to the United Way, Phoenix shelter, Bryony house, Turning Point, Feed NS and Hope Cottage. Send your money their way, help clear the sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:45 PM

I actually never give money on the street either as I don't believe it does any real good. I think it's all too convenient, however, to assume that most people on the street are actually there because they want to be there, are making big money and are putting one over on us. That's just a fantasy. The reality is that a large majority of street people have drug and alcohol problems or mental illnesses or both. The "fake" street person might be true in some instances, but it certainly doesn't reflect the reality of life for most. Of course holding onto that convenient myth allows the rest of us to more easily justify our society's general indifference.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 7:31 PM

I heard of a panhandler in Halifax who makes roughly $100,000 bumming money and goes to Florida for the winter.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I heard of a panhandler in Halifax who makes roughly $100,000 bumming money and goes to Florida for the winter.
as Spaustin said, he is no doubt the exception. I don't argue the fact that many people who panhandle have problems, but giving them cash does nothing to alter those problems, and may actually worsen their situation. There are services available to help with those problems, those services can make good use of our charity.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I wonder how much he makes on the streets there?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 4:31 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I'm usually the pinko/Lefty on here; however, most social services agencies advocate against giving money to panhandlers, and instead suggest giving directly to charities that provide direct services. There are young people who drive into the city, pay to park their cars, and then 'beg' for money. I refuse to contribute to panhandling, but i give to the United Way, Phoenix shelter, Bryony house, Turning Point, Feed NS and Hope Cottage. Send your money their way, help clear the sidewalks.
yeah I agree with you on that one... maximal return on money donated is to give to groups/charities providing services to those who need it

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 12:51 AM

I know a few of the panhandlers, and from what I gather, a slow day can bring in as little as $20 while a busy day around christmas time can bring in close to $200. Most of the guys I know have mental illness or addictions problems though so your best bet is to donate to charities or non profits. They are able to give them a meal and a roof over their head. I suggest donating to the Out Of The Cold Shelter though, they will take anybody in any condition all winter long. Or the Salvation Army (Full disclosure, I work for the Salvation Army)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:52 PM

Quote:
I'm going to put my 2 cents in, as I'm multiply disabled, & live in my own apartment, I've been on the streets before, both in Hamilton (7 years) & Toronto (22 months) I have NEVER resorted to 'panning' or 'begging'..
heres a statistic for you..

in Ontario (southeren ont, like Hamilton & Toronto) a disabled person on ODSP, living in a RGI apartment, 1bdrm, paying $139 (usually includes heat/hydro) gets a monthly cheque of $717, + add to that any special diet or guide dog or accessible equipment costs, if covered.
i could get on white cane per year covered (CNIB charge $47)
once ever 5 yrs I could get a computer/reading aid, (MAX $1875 + screenreader $900)
(( if your NOT in RGI Housing, your MAX Rent ODSP wil cover is $625 for a 1bdrm, +max Hydro assistance is $75 a month) ((personal allowance was $580 ))

Here in HRM, I'm paying $575 + Hydro ($50), my MSI cheque is $773 The MAX that MSI will help you with for rent is $535 your personal allowance is $238
MSI does NOT cover white canes, nor computer every 5 yrs, nor are most of my medications that I was on in Ontario covered..

Now, you TRY living on THAT! Espicially with Food alone being 40-50% MORE Expensive...

yeah, NOT fun, but I will NEVER 'beg"

I eat at the amazing soup kitchens, Here's the ones I go to normally:
Margruarts - OPEN 7 days a week - 12-12:30pm, in Dartmouth on Octaloungie near the big white church (3 blocks up the hill from Portland), (little brown house on corner, with wheelchair ramp) they are AMAZING!! very homey, very caring people, they take whatever churches donate & also supplement it with help from FEED NOVA SCOTIA..

The HOPE COTTEGE - M-F 10-11am & 4:45-6pm Yeah, just AMAZING PLACE, mmmm great food, out of the way, but near a very caring libruary, (Halifax north memorial) really special place.. Very open & caring, one big family runs it.. fully accessible, including washrooms..

St Mary's Basilica - wkdays (except holidays & High Holy days, 1:30-3:30pm, sandwiches, drinks, clothing room, haircuts, bathroom, sometimes books & magazines, sometimes has Veggie buffet... Warm place to go, decent people, strict. (washrooms are NOT W/C accessible)

the only food bank I know of, is:

PARKER STREET FOOD & FURNITURE BANK ( on maynard near Buddy Daye (2 blocks up the hill from Gottingon, 3 blocks along maynard from North street)
they have great staff, good food, & furniture, they also can deliver if your physically disabled/senior or cant afford bus fare.. they also are connected with a couple of really nice thrift stores, called "Good Things In Store"

there are other soup kitchens I think, but I've not found them yet, as there is NO CENTRAL LISTING...
(toronto & Hamilton both have ""help Lines"" or a centralized 211 listing service)

(( Btw, I miss Sally Ann in Hamilton open to both men & woman for meals, also had a shelter for men, (& a new one just opened for woman), had a great meal program, $10 a month got you 1 MEAL EVERY DAY OF THE MONTH (usually really big & they also had diabetic & veggie options sometimes))
Here in HRM Sally Ann dont do squat for Woman who need to eat. ( at least the centre on Gottingon, tried asking them for help when I first got here & was homeless..)

I miss the street life in T.O a bit, there were some amazing places to eat & get help...
The Law Society of upper canada put on stellar meals 4 days a week, just the best meals in Toronto, completely free, but very safe & strict rules, FULLY ACCESSIBLE..
SANCTUARY! - Very special little place based on a small church, but never bible thumpy, accepted anyone, very special to me, were the main reason I survived in Toronto as long as I did (5 1/2 years)
They also were Fully Accessible, even had a Elevator!
Good Shepard - daily meals, lots of food, lots of caring people, mainly for men, except for meal times, which were open to anyone, except if you were high or drunk, they were also great with disabled people..
Scott Mission - men only, except food bank & evening snack.

So, no matter what your circumstance, there is NO NEED TO GO BEGGING ON THE STREETS!!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewjonsson View Post
I know a few of the panhandlers, and from what I gather, a slow day can bring in as little as $20 while a busy day around christmas time can bring in close to $200. Most of the guys I know have mental illness or addictions problems though so your best bet is to donate to charities or non profits. They are able to give them a meal and a roof over their head. I suggest donating to the Out Of The Cold Shelter though, they will take anybody in any condition all winter long. Or the Salvation Army (Full disclosure, I work for the Salvation Army)
i have a dream of working at the Sally ann Thrift Store out here in Dartmouth on Main street, but am having problems getting help with my Resume... so feeling like I'll never get my dream fullfilled, I have worked at another thrift store, in Hamilton, called goodwill/amity industries, as well as at the CNIB Store in Toronto as a full-time volunteer, (also did over 16 years of CNIB Volunteering aside from the store)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 6:14 PM

I remember staggering drunk up Spring Garden Road at 3am and being approached by a guy outside McDonalds asking for $1.25 so he could get a cheeseburger. I did better than that and got that guy a double cheeseburger combo. Whether or not he actually needed it my drunk ass couldn't decipher, but he was ever so friendly

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General