HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:36 AM
Salty Town

Public Gardens Should be More Accessible

The Public Gardens should be open 365 days a year. HRM continually hides behind the excuse that damage would occur to fragile flora and fauna if stampedes of people were to frequent the Gardens between Nov. and April.

This is simply incorrect. HRM is merely saving money by locking the gates. The Gardens are in deplorable condition. There is no maintenance during the winter and there is no concise plan to protect the plant life. Leaves are not raked, dead branches are strewn everywhere, garbage is stuck in every corner, and there is an unsightly branch, gravel and topsoil storage area in plain view of the main gate on Summer St.

The main stock of vegetation is native and poorly maintained. Dead branches are not pruned, shrubs have brown patches, the grass is pieced together and filled with weeds and pathways are uneven and washed out.

A few weeks ago vandals knocked over a concrete statue dating back to the 1800's and broke the arm and base. A few urns were knocked over as well.

Incredibly the statue and urns are still lying on the ground in their broken state. Only in Halifax!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post

A few weeks ago vandals knocked over a concrete statue dating back to the 1800's and broke the arm and base. A few urns were knocked over as well.

Incredibly the statue and urns are still lying on the ground in their broken state. Only in Halifax!
Thats horrible, I hate hearing things like this. Are people really that retarded that they need to ruin historic monuments to have fun? And its ridiculous that it hasn't been cleaned up!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:30 AM

Quote:
the grass is pieced together and filled with weeds and pathways are uneven and washed out.
Haven't you heard? Halifax is the dandelion capital of Canada thanks to the enviro-crazies and their ridiculous ban on harmless weed and feed products.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:18 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
The Public Gardens should be open 365 days a year. HRM continually hides behind the excuse that damage would occur to fragile flora and fauna if stampedes of people were to frequent the Gardens between Nov. and April.

This is simply incorrect. HRM is merely saving money by locking the gates. The Gardens are in deplorable condition. There is no maintenance during the winter and there is no concise plan to protect the plant life. Leaves are not raked, dead branches are strewn everywhere, garbage is stuck in every corner, and there is an unsightly branch, gravel and topsoil storage area in plain view of the main gate on Summer St.

The main stock of vegetation is native and poorly maintained. Dead branches are not pruned, shrubs have brown patches, the grass is pieced together and filled with weeds and pathways are uneven and washed out.

Here are some photos depicting the total neglect of the Public Gardens during the winter. This neglect does far more damage than a few people walking through on the pathways. Clearly there needs to be a new maintenance strategy that respects the park and what it means to the city in general.

All photos by Empire:

Last edited by Empire; Apr 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 9:38 PM

It would be nice to use the gardens more effectively. You can imagine many winter uses. If we ever get cold winters again, maybe you could skate on the pond (don't know how it freezes since I've never been in there in the winter). You could do tree lighting around Christmas. Challenge the business and institutional community to decorate them to keep HRM's cost low and then let them compete for the best display. I would think walking through a decorated gardens would be a good fit for its formal setting.

FYI. In your photo, the toppled statue was the work of scumbags. It was 125 years old and vandals tipped it over one night a few weeks back for no reason at all. Real assholes. Can't really blame HRM for that one. Some people just have no sense.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 10:58 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
It would be nice to use the gardens more effectively. You can imagine many winter uses. If we ever get cold winters again, maybe you could skate on the pond (don't know how it freezes since I've never been in there in the winter). You could do tree lighting around Christmas. Challenge the business and institutional community to decorate them to keep HRM's cost low and then let them compete for the best display. I would think walking through a decorated gardens would be a good fit for its formal setting.
It's a real shame that we have this asset and the city is able to blindside the public into believing that "great harm" would come to the gardens if it were to be opened in the winter. It's 100% bullshit. It is all about cost, but to me this is where you allocate your budget. Make sure the park is top notch at all times. Just because it is locked up doesn't mean people can't enjoy it to a much lesser degree while walking by or peering through the fence. This park is a disgrace it should be open to the public all year. The bandstand would be a great venue at Christmas and the park being closed is an unnecessary hinderance by a backward thinking administration.

Quote:
FYI. In your photo, the toppled statue was the work of scumbags. It was 125 years old and vandals tipped it over one night a few weeks back for no reason at all. Real assholes. Can't really blame HRM for that one. Some people just have no sense.
This is correct. I guess my point is the HRM is so oblivious to the real importance of the gardens that they have not addressed the statue issue. I don't need to call them and ask for an explanation because I can hear their lame duck reasoning now......."well we wouldn't want to move it until the frost is out of the ground and geese have returned and the grounds keeper has returned from his mission of painting park benches for Point Pleasant Park" etc. etc.......sad, very sad

Last edited by Empire; Apr 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:06 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
It's a real shame that we have this asset and the city is able to blindside the public into beliving that "great harm" would come to the gardens if it were to be opened in the winter. It's 100% bullshit. It is all about cost, but to me this is where you allocate your budget.
Funny how a quadruple ice rink in Bedford was so desperately needed that it had to be pushed through with or without federal funding, but the city can't afford to keep its most important downtown park open.

Similarly HRM can spend millions on perennial studies but cannot reinvest a tiny percentage of the tax money they collect from the most important commercial streets.

It's clear what regional council's priorities are. They talk about how nice it would be to invest in the urban core but at the end of the day all of that is meaningless without spending.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 11:33 PM
Fizzix geek

Does Boston's garden stay open through the winter? No idea... Just curious if anyone knows.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 12:22 AM

Yes, Boston's Public Gardens is open in the winter (the horror). Apparently the Boston Public Gardens also has a strong citizens movement that actively contributes towards its upkeep in terms of finances and in volunteer hours for planting and pruning. It's too bad we don't have something like that here. I think the will in the community is there since the money just poured in after Hurricane Juan.... or maybe something like that does exist here and I've just never heard of it. I bet many of our seniors who have moved into condos to get away from maintenance would enjoy dabbling in some gardening a few times a year as volunteers. Would probably appeal to others too and would strengthen people's bond with the gardens. Could probably work on the Dartmouth side too at the Dartmouth Common. There is a seniors building right next door to it!

http://www.friendsofthepublicgarden.org/

Edit: Seems we do have a volunteer society here too. They do fundraising, garden tours and promotional stuff. Seems like there could be a window for more active volunteer gardening! If Boston can do it, why can't we?

http://www.halifaxpublicgardens.ca/m_1.asp

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 12:29 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Yes, Boston's Public Gardens is open in the winter (the horror). Apparently the Boston Public Gardens also has a strong citizens movement that actively contributes towards its upkeep in terms of finances and in volunteer hours for planting and pruning. It's too bad we don't have something like that here. I think the will in the community is there since the money just poured in after Hurricane Juan.... or maybe something like that does exist here and I've just never heard of it. I bet many of our seniors who have moved into condos to get away from maintenance would enjoy dabbling in some gardening a few times a year as volunteers. Would probably appeal to others too and would strengthen people's bond with the gardens. Could probably work on the Dartmouth side too at the Dartmouth Common. There is a seniors building right next door to it!

Here is a link to some winter programs at Central Park beginning with the tree lighting. What are they thinking?

http://www.centralparknyc.org/visit/...rams-2010.html

I don't think Moncton has a park but if they did it would be open all winter.

Where is the #$%^% STV when you need them?

Last edited by Empire; Apr 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 12:43 AM
Fizzix geek

Quote:

Edit: Seems we do have a volunteer society here too. They do fundraising, garden tours and promotional stuff. Seems like there could be a window for more active volunteer gardening! If Boston can do it, why can't we?

http://www.halifaxpublicgardens.ca/m_1.asp

Yeah I figures Boston must have theirs open. Good info to know for future reference. :-)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:37 PM
Salty Town

More fodder for a gullible public:

http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/481...or-new-season/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:11 PM
we built this city

Didn't the HT or the "friends" group speak out against winter access?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Didn't the HT or the "friends" group speak out against winter access?

For what reasons are they against winter access?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 11:36 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post

For what reasons are they against winter access?
They all spoke against winter access because it may destroy some cheap tulip beds. Fact is, they are all wrong. The Public Gardens is a much bigger asset then Citadel Hill. This city "surprise ...surprise" hasn't found a way to tap into that.

The Public Gardens should be open 365 days a year and there is no compelling argument to negate that....

There has never been a study from the "City of studies " to prove that the Gardens should be closed....[only in Halifax]

Last edited by Empire; Mar 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
They all spoke against winter access because it may destroy some cheap tulip beds. Fact is, they are all wrong. The Public Gardens is a much bigger asset then Citadel Hill. This city "surprise ...surprise" hasen't found a way to tap into that.

The Public Gardens should be open 365 days a year and there is no compelling arguement to negate that....

There has never been a study from the "City of studies " to prove that the Gardens should be closed....[only in Halifax]
Even more mind-numbing in this city that finds the oddest things to ascribe heritage value to: The Public Gardens used to be open in the winter. I believe I saw photos on the Skyscraper Page forum that showed olden-timey Haligonians ice skating in the Public Gardens in the winter.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I don't think Moncton has a park but if they did it would be open all winter.
We don't have anything like the Public Gardens in Moncton. I guess the closest thing would be Victoria Park in the central downtown area. It has flower gardens, some monuments (including the cenotaph) and a bandstand. It is open in the winter but has no special programs.

Centennial Park in the city's west end has lighted and groomed cross country ski trails in the winter and they maintain a skating oval on the pond there. They also flood and maintain an outdoor skating rink at City Hall in the winter as well. They have decorative lighting on the surrounding trees too. It can be quite festive!

My two cents - there is no reason why the Public Gardens can't be kept open in the winter (as long as they can keep people off the grass). The gardens is one of my favourite places in Halifax.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 1:04 PM
Honored Member

I previously found a photo on the NS Archives which showed the first covered skating rink in Canada, which was located on the Public Gardens site. Here is some information that I previously posted - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=100. I wasn't able to find pictures of the interior of the Public Gardens covered skating rink but a 1880's photo from the NS Archives showed people skating at the old Royal Exhibition Hall on Tower Road. Both structures could be seen in one old photo.

I think it would be great to have the Public Gardens open all year long. Perhaps it just needs to be closed for a month or so for maintenance.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 2:02 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I previously found a photo on the NS Archives which showed the first covered skating rink in Canada, which was located on the Public Gardens site. Here is some information that I previously posted - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=100. I wasn't able to find pictures of the interior of the Public Gardens covered skating rink but a 1880's photo from the NS Archives showed people skating at the old Royal Exhibition Hall on Tower Road. Both structures could be seen in one old photo.

I think it would be great to have the Public Gardens open all year long. Perhaps it just needs to be closed for a month or so for maintenance.
What an amazing building the Royal Exhibition Hall was. I wonder how it met its demise?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
We don't have anything like the Public Gardens in Moncton. I guess the closest thing would be Victoria Park in the central downtown area. It has flower gardens, some monuments (including the cenotaph) and a bandstand. It is open in the winter but has no special programs.

Centennial Park in the city's west end has lighted and groomed cross country ski trails in the winter and they maintain a skating oval on the pond there. They also flood and maintain an outdoor skating rink at City Hall in the winter as well. They have decorative lighting on the surrounding trees too. It can be quite festive!

My two cents - there is no reason why the Public Gardens can't be kept open in the winter (as long as they can keep people off the grass). The gardens is one of my favourite places in Halifax.
I find Centennial Park very enjoyable. I went there last summer during a dog-walking event. I can't recall if it was fundraiser for the SPCA... Regardless -- there were many different breeds to see.

In terms of parks for downtown Moncton: I dream of the riverfront getting relandscaped, especially now that the Petitcodiac is widening.

If I was the landscaper in charge, I would mainly use white birch trees to embrace what is the most common species found in Moncton's marsh areas around Wheeler -- and what you find along the riverfront on Dieppe's side. It would provide a nice, rich, white scattered border for the downtown!

And not to again criticise Moncton's addiction to sprawl, as I remember seeing a community garden project in Truro that utilised mature trees from newly deforested areas in Bible Hill, but Moncton's future infrastructural projects mostly involve clearing large portions of land; essentially, there would be plenty of opportunity to relocate healthy, mature specimens to the riverfront -- saving on the cost of new trees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General