HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 4:13 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
And great that is was just landmarked, but unfortunately the dump of a vacant useless theater next door was landmarked too, presumably to grace the neighborhood with blight for years to come due to there being no viable economic re-use. Check out the nice quaint 3 story building where the shitbox Michael's North restaurant is now, too. Between that and the theater, what a prime redevelopment site...
^ You don't like Michael's North? My God, they make the best omelettes!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 5:22 AM
Contemplator

Re: the "Standard Oil Bldg"...

Notice the original Italian marble cladding. Much whiter!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ You don't like Michael's North? My God, they make the best omelettes!
, I do quite like their Hobo Skillet and they brown a perfect corned beef hash. I'm just saying the building is a shitbox - I'd rather see them reopen in the ground-floor retail space of a midrise with a 5.0 floor area ratio as allowed by the underlying zoning but disallowed by aldermanic perogative.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 12:56 AM
BANNED

People do some stupid shit sometimes:

Ski jump at Soldier Filed Circa 1954:

deputy-dog.com

Yikes...

Has anyone downloaded and achieved all these photos? Someone should do that heaven forbid we lose this thread!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 8:03 PM
dream fast

^That, I'd like to see.^

"Chicago, At the Turn of the Century Photographs" by Larry Viskochil, CHS

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 1:17 AM

The Turtle Wax building at Madison and Ashland. I thought it was really cool when I was a kid. Gone now.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 4:50 AM
Show me the blueprints

^There's some more talk about this building here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...urtle+building

Starting with Post #6576

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 4:50 AM

Last edited by KinetikPlayground; Sep 8, 2009 at 7:50 PM. Reason: wrong

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 4:53 AM

Last edited by KinetikPlayground; Sep 8, 2009 at 8:05 PM. Reason: wrong

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 3:21 PM

such a cool thread

chicago is truly a world class city

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducov View Post
Yay!! been waiting to find a thread like this for so long!

Here's my contribution, all photos from the Charles W.Cushman collection from the the good people at Indiana University Archives.
Taken mid forties.
It's interesting how dirty the city looked in the 1940s because of all the soot from the railroads and manufactures close to Downtown. It's immaculately clean now compared to those shots.
"What is the chief characteristic of the tall office building? ... it is lofty. ... It must be tall, every inch of it tall. ... It must be every inch a proud and soaring thing, rising in sheer exultation that from bottom to top it is a unit without a single dissenting line." — Louis H. Sullivan. From "The tall office building artistically considered," Lippincott's Magazine, March 1896.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
ardecila-
Do you have any information on the office tower that was originally
to rise above the Great Hall?

All I have is this tiny postcard...

and I just found this illustration.

Also, what is the expansive building directly north of the Great Hall?
That was the proposed Post Office. It would've been between Union Station and Chicago & Northwestern Terminal.

It later got built over Congress Pkwy/Eisenhower Expwy. Now it just sits there abandoned. The opening scene (bank robbery) of "The Dark Knight" was filmed there.

"What is the chief characteristic of the tall office building? ... it is lofty. ... It must be tall, every inch of it tall. ... It must be every inch a proud and soaring thing, rising in sheer exultation that from bottom to top it is a unit without a single dissenting line." — Louis H. Sullivan. From "The tall office building artistically considered," Lippincott's Magazine, March 1896.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 1:31 AM
Show me the blueprints

Is the Union Station tower officially dead? It does seem like it resurfaces every few years. Wasn't it first proposed in the mid-90's or so?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Is the Union Station tower officially dead? It does seem like it resurfaces every few years. Wasn't it first proposed in the mid-90's or so?
I heard about that too. It probably wouldn't be built to match the rest of the structure as was imagined in those postcards.

Personally, I think the Union Station main building should be left alone. It already suffered the indignity of demolition of its beautiful train concourse. Ugly buildings stand there now. The least they could do is build the proposed new concourse as part of the high-speed rail corridor plan, and knock down the uglies.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 12:27 PM

Chicago the Beautiful, 1948 Traveltalks.

Here's a fun look at Chicago in 1948 through the lens of an MGM travelogue. Ah, look at all those streetcars! I wish we could bring 'em back.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDog_74 View Post
Here's a fun look at Chicago in 1948 through the lens of an MGM travelogue.

Video Link

So awesome! Thanks for posting that.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2009, 12:38 PM

Traveltalks - 1948 Chicago the Beautiful

Isn't that a spectacular video!!!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 8:05 PM

I think this is 1964. Obviously the focus is on the UIC campus under construction, and this shot gives a very detailed view of the original Netsch vision that included the elevated pedestrian 'expressways' between buildings (with a direct connection to the UIC L stop at the north end), with an obvious focus towards the Forum in the heart of campus.

Other things I see:
1. Check out the 'streetwall' of midrise industrial loft buildings lining the east side of the Expressway through downtown. Also just the sheer uninterupted midrise density of the industrial district (with skid row along Madison) between the river and the expressway.
2. Check out the US Gypsum building at the far right, a modernist gem that only lived for about 25-30 years (now the site of 111 S. Wacker).
3. I believe that is the elevator core for Marina City, just right of center in the upper half.
4. Just left of center, upper half, you can see the bright new construction of the Sandburg Village urban renewal highrises along Clark Street between Division and North.

In the context of how dark and dingy everything looks, the near luminescence of the mid-century modernist planning and architecture that is maligned today starts to make a bit more sense.
Click thumbnail size to see full size.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
I think this is 1964. Obviously the focus is on the UIC campus under construction, and this shot gives a very detailed view of the original Netsch vision that included the elevated pedestrian 'expressways' between buildings (with a direct connection to the UIC L stop at the north end), with an obvious focus towards the Forum in the heart of campus.

Other things I see:
1. Check out the 'streetwall' of midrise industrial loft buildings lining the east side of the Expressway through downtown. Also just the sheer uninterupted midrise density of the industrial district (with skid row along Madison) between the river and the expressway.
2. Check out the US Gypsum building at the far right, a modernist gem that only lived for about 25-30 years (now the site of 111 S. Wacker).
3. I believe that is the elevator core for Marina City, just right of center in the upper half.
4. Just left of center, upper half, you can see the bright new construction of the Sandburg Village urban renewal highrises along Clark Street between Division and North.

In the context of how dark and dingy everything looks, the near luminescence of the mid-century modernist planning and architecture that is maligned today starts to make a bit more sense.
Click thumbnail size to see full size.
I bet this is 1962-63 as Marina City was done in 1964. They should have cleaned them rather than tear all the great old buildings down! Steam engines were almost gone at this point, so one good cleaning would have been good for 25 years.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 10:06 PM

That MGM travelogue is very cool!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos