HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 6:48 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Great to hear! We San Diegans can be very negative and enjoy complaining about our city, so it's nice to see when someone appreciates it. Hope you're up to date on your Hep A vaccinations!
x100

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 2:18 AM

The Park | Bankers Hill

Here are a few photos from a walk we took after brunch this last weekend.

The Park | Bankers Hill by Scott, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 10:16 PM
Frequent Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSD View Post
Here are a few photos from a walk we took after brunch this last weekend.

[/url]

Nice pics. That building can't decide what era it's from. It's 1974 to the north and 2004 to the south.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 12:00 AM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
Nice pics. That building can't decide what era it's from. It's 1974 to the north and 2004 to the south.
Funny you say that. I was thinking the same thing and actually did a double-take when looking at it.

Not unlike this...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 6:55 PM

I was jogging the other day and noticed a big hole in the ground where Cost Plus World Market used to be. What's taking it's place? I think its J St, between 4th and 3rd.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:04 PM

Oh never mind, I found it. Another 6 story rental building, by Carrier+Johnson

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:10 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArquitectoMontenegro View Post
Oh never mind, I found it. Another 6 story rental building, by Carrier+Johnson

Fu*king C+J. They ruined Market east of Park with their squat rental boxes.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:19 AM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
Fu*king C+J. They ruined Market east of Park with their squat rental boxes.
Totally agree. IIRC though, there is some height restriction on this lot due to it being in the Gaslamp district.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Totally agree. IIRC though, there is some height restriction on this lot due to it being in the Gaslamp district.
Gaslamp district is still 125 ft. correct? I know that's what it used to be when I bought there.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:25 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
Gaslamp district is still 125 ft. correct? I know that's what it used to be when I bought there.
Think some parts are 125' and some are lower.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:48 PM

This block is actually not part of the Gaslamp District--under SD Municipal Code, the planned district diagram locates this block as part of the Marina District so height restriction likely didn't have anything to do with the developer's decision to build a 6-7 story box.

Across the street to the east is Gaslamp, and across the street to the north is Historic Chinese District.

I'm further confused by the freight train mural on the side of the building. What is significant about the freight train other than being near the train tracks?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 7:38 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArquitectoMontenegro View Post
This block is actually not part of the Gaslamp District--under SD Municipal Code, the planned district diagram locates this block as part of the Marina District so height restriction likely didn't have anything to do with the developer's decision to build a 6-7 story box.

Across the street to the east is Gaslamp, and across the street to the north is Historic Chinese District.

I'm further confused by the freight train mural on the side of the building. What is significant about the freight train other than being near the train tracks?
Good information about the property. I do recall reading about a height restriction on this project a while back. May have been the development application... not sure.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 5:01 AM
Category Five

Somebody brought up the idea of giving Horton Plaza to Amazon

That's...not a bad idea IMO

https://brojure.com/1070architect/te...e-horton-plaza

Of course it won't happen

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 7:36 PM
Babylon falling

Just one problem it isn't San Diego's to "give" to Amazon Westfield owns the land last time I checked. Westfield should put the property out to bid to Chinese billionaires though and sell it because SD County can support 4 healthy "malls" I think it will be UTC, Fashion, Plaza Bonita, and possibly the one in Carlsbad it if it vastly improved. Grossmont is going to add a bunch of housing as should Carlsbad but I've never heard it proposed.

Regarding locations for Amazon or any coroporate HQ above 2 million square feet you have the MTS Busyard combined with part of all of Tailgate Park, and the Qualcomm Stadium property. Unless Amazon approached Doug Manchester and said can you build us 5 500 foot office towers along the bay instead of your mixed use NBC project lol.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:18 PM
BANNED

Question: would it be a good thing for San Diego to land Amazon’s HQ2 over other competitors in low cost of living cities and states given the already high priced real estate costs and land use issues?

I wish SD good luck and every other city vying for the accomplishment of attracting Amazon.

I think Amazon would prefer places in Texas or perhaps overlooked east cities like Phila. over any other California city due to these factors.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 1:13 AM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Just one problem it isn't San Diego's to "give" to Amazon Westfield owns the land last time I checked. Westfield should put the property out to bid to Chinese billionaires though and sell it because SD County can support 4 healthy "malls" I think it will be UTC, Fashion, Plaza Bonita, and possibly the one in Carlsbad it if it vastly improved. Grossmont is going to add a bunch of housing as should Carlsbad but I've never heard it proposed.

Regarding locations for Amazon or any coroporate HQ above 2 million square feet you have the MTS Busyard combined with part of all of Tailgate Park, and the Qualcomm Stadium property. Unless Amazon approached Doug Manchester and said can you build us 5 500 foot office towers along the bay instead of your mixed use NBC project lol.
Think Westfield North County and Mission Valley Center have some changes happening too.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 7:41 PM
Babylon falling

Just a quick note Westfield no longer owns the Carlsbad property. They sold it a year and a half ago to New York based Rouse Properties. I am quite familiar with the parcel because I grew up in Encinitas and went to that mall a lot in 80's to mid 90's and still have grandparents who live in Carlsbad Village. It is HUUGE piece of land and perfect for mixing in residential but I have heard no plans for that which is insane to me. It could be because it borders "protected wetlands" and it would be a huge hastle to get anything approved.

As far as I know the mall really died out post 9/11 and is starting to make a comeback. Westfield had BIG plans for it before Caruso proposed his Strawberry Fields sick mall off Cannon road. I just met up with a girl at the Outlet mall next to Carlsbad Auto Park and frankly it is substantial so I'm not sure if the Carlsbad mall can ever be super successful seeing that is is so close to the outlet shops.

Anyway my 2 cents. I do believe the Caruso project would have been a homerun because all the LA and Orange County people sitting in traffic on that part of I-5 which is always congested would go oh wow that's the same guy who did the grove and go shope there lol.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 2:08 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Just a quick note Westfield no longer owns the Carlsbad property. They sold it a year and a half ago to New York based Rouse Properties. I am quite familiar with the parcel because I grew up in Encinitas and went to that mall a lot in 80's to mid 90's and still have grandparents who live in Carlsbad Village. It is HUUGE piece of land and perfect for mixing in residential but I have heard no plans for that which is insane to me. It could be because it borders "protected wetlands" and it would be a huge hastle to get anything approved.

As far as I know the mall really died out post 9/11 and is starting to make a comeback. Westfield had BIG plans for it before Caruso proposed his Strawberry Fields sick mall off Cannon road. I just met up with a girl at the Outlet mall next to Carlsbad Auto Park and frankly it is substantial so I'm not sure if the Carlsbad mall can ever be super successful seeing that is is so close to the outlet shops.

Anyway my 2 cents. I do believe the Caruso project would have been a homerun because all the LA and Orange County people sitting in traffic on that part of I-5 which is always congested would go oh wow that's the same guy who did the grove and go shope there lol.
I was an El Camino mall rat too, haha. It was the local mall to go to when I was in High School in the late 2000's. It definitely cratered into obscurity during the recession, and with Carlsbad having two other major shopping centers (the Outlets and the Forum) it fell to pieces.

Westfield abandoned the property after it looked like Caruso was going to get his way with the strawberry field. But whoa to them, because Caruso's mall tanked at the ballot box and now Rouse Properties is running the show. The Carlsbad mall is now set to open a Cheesecake Factory, Yard House, Zara, and H&M. The entire mall is getting an extensive renovation, mind you, nowhere near what Westfield had proposed, but definitely an upgrade nonetheless. Think Plaza Bonita upgrade, versus UTC. I think it'll be fine in the long run since there aren't any major competitors along the coast, and it seems like major retailers and restaurants are giving their blessing by moving in so quickly.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:23 AM
Category Five

Just drove by UTC right now, it looks NICE!

If Westfield can do something similar to Horton Plaza and open it up more...

Also do you guys remember that 400 ft tower (InterContinental Hotel) that was supposed to go up on the south side of HP?

Man if all those projects would have gone up...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 6:52 AM
Category Five

And uh-oh...the battle for the convention center is going to get ugly:

Convention hotel developer to city of San Diego: Back off
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...016-story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations