HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Doesn't Universal City have some high rise plans around it's subway station as well?
no

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
no
Are you sure?
There was announcement 1-2 years ago.
It involved two hotels an a office building I belirve.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Are you sure?
There was announcement 1-2 years ago.
It involved two hotels an a office building I belirve.
Yeah, but it's up on Universal's property, not the lots down by the station. http://communityline.nbcuni.com/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:55 PM

There actually were plans for NBCUniversal to relocate some of their operations to a large development atop the Universal City subway station which would have included a 24-story tower. The project was cancelled in 2012, after Comcast purchased the company.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...lopment-277760

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 3:56 PM

Art Deco design for proposed Hollywood hotel

R.D. Olson's Jack-in-the-Box killer, designed by WATG.

21-story, 230+ foot tower with 275 guest rooms and 1,900 square feet of ground-floor commercial space.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:11 PM

Preserve the neighborhood integrity of our jack in the box... Uh jk. This is fantastic.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
Preserve the neighborhood integrity of our jack in the box... Uh jk. This is fantastic.
The sad thing is they will ultimately protest this tower for similar reasons.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 6:24 PM
dazzle me

looks like george lucas is in talks with someone (presumably USC and the city) to possibly bring his "narrative art" museum to the USC campus if chicago doesn't work out. i'm guessing that if chicago is a no-go, it's treasure island, SF and that LA is just a back up. but if it does go to a USC site, it would be a bit disappointing for the miracle mile and downtown cultural districts. with the new lacma design, there's still a giant parking lot on the south side of wilshire that could house his museum. perfect fit.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics...on-california/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 6:55 PM

That tower looks GREAT! Nice to get some classically inspired (aka timeless) architecture in the mix.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
looks like george lucas is in talks with someone (presumably USC and the city) to possibly bring his "narrative art" museum to the USC campus if chicago doesn't work out. i'm guessing that if chicago is a no-go, it's treasure island, SF and that LA is just a back up. but if it does go to a USC site, it would be a bit disappointing for the miracle mile and downtown cultural districts. with the new lacma design, there's still a giant parking lot on the south side of wilshire that could house his museum. perfect fit.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics...on-california/
I don't think it'd be a disappointment for LA overall.

There's a ton of parking at Exposition Park and I feel that park is in dire need of another museum. It'd be an excellent get for the area.

That said, I really hope the museum falls into LA's hands. I'm thankful for NIMBYs in making it unnecessarily difficult for Lucas to bring his museum to Chicago. Sucks for people living in Chicago but if it may benefit LA, I'm all for it. And has LA offered Lucas a deal similar to the one offered to Eli Broad? Maybe that could win Lucas over.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Well, as much as the residential conversions of Jamison's underperforming office properties are great for Wilshire Boulevard, the proposed renovation of 3350 Wilshire is deeply regrettable. It's a Welton Becket building that should be historically significant for its early Corporate Modernist design and as a milestone in the development of the modern Wilshire Center district. Here's an undated photograph of the building soon after its completion.
Muji,
I couldn't agree with you more. I think that the problem being is that there are many who do not have a sensitive eye for "classicism and history" such as you and I.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Muji,
I couldn't agree with you more. I think that the problem being is that there are many who do not have a sensitive eye for "classicism and history" such as you and I.
I'm not a super preservationist but I have to agree with you both as well. It's exciting that these towers are being converted to residential, and the outside of 3350 looks cool but we'll regret it in another decade or 2 when people like the corporate modern style again.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:11 AM

http://therealdeal.com/la/2016/06/16...d-use-project/

Look at this bullshit.

Quote:
The plan for the land — which sits on Mesmer Avenue between South Centinela and Jefferson Boulevards in Playa Vista — will go down in two phases, Nissani told The Real Deal. In the first phase, he will redevelop a 128,340-square-foot building on the site into an auto center. Nissani is relocating six dealerships he already owns and operates elsewhere in Los Angeles to the site, including Chrysler, Hyundai, Nissan and Acura dealerships.
However, it’s essentially being built to be destroyed. In the second phase, the renovated building would be demolished to make way for a mixed-use complex, Nissani said. It would include eight dealerships and buildings with other uses, such as a hotel and/or a residential tower, he said, depending on what he can get entitled.
“It will be one of the largest projects ever done in automotive history,” Nissani said.
Quote:
The memo called Playa Vista an underserved area because the closest car dealership is nine miles away from the site.
Are you fucking kidding me? What a first world problem. Oh you have to drive far to get a new car? Wow! How hard that must be.

Any automotive related business should not be allowed in Playa Vista.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
with the new lacma design, there's still a giant parking lot on the south side of wilshire that could house his museum. perfect fit.
Isn't there supposed to be some sort of big tower planned on that parking lot, though?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:01 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
http://therealdeal.com/la/2016/06/16...d-use-project/

Look at this bullshit.

Are you fucking kidding me? What a first world problem. Oh you have to drive far to get a new car? Wow! How hard that must be.

Any automotive related business should not be allowed in Playa Vista.
Tbh, sounds good to me. Seven automobile dealerships are going to be removed from LA. I'd count that as a net-positive.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Tbh, sounds good to me. Seven automobile dealerships are going to be removed from LA. I'd count that as a net-positive.
They're mostly located in places like the South Bay and the Long Beach area I think though.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Except for the sales tax that the city of Los Angeles collects for each car sale. That can add up to a very substantial loss for the city

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Art Deco design for proposed Hollywood hotel

R.D. Olson's Jack-in-the-Box killer, designed by WATG.

21-story, 230+ foot tower with 275 guest rooms and 1,900 square feet of ground-floor commercial space.

Hopefully this will be nicely done, and won't end up involving cheap spray-on stucco or something.

I much prefer this than what has become the typical generic glass box on a parking podium that seems to be popping up everywhere in LA with no sense of place, like they could be buildings in Vancouver, or San Diego, or wherever else.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Except for the sales tax that the city of Los Angeles collects for each car sale. That can add up to a very substantial loss for the city
True. My home town (Cerritos) gets plenty in sales tax revenue because of what the Cerritos Auto Square brings in.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 9:48 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Last I checked, Playa Vista is within LA City limits, so there should be no tax revenue loss.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations