HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:17 AM

Well I get to go work at the new Victoria's Secret in St. Vital starting tomorrow!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:30 AM

Well I just noticed earlier today that the Maples IGA has closed, not sure how long ago. I wonder if the Garden City Safeway has closed as well, i'll have to check that out one of these days. I wonder if Sobeys has shut down any of their other stores in the city what is going to happen with them.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Well I just noticed earlier today that the Maples IGA has closed, not sure how long ago. I wonder if the Garden City Safeway has closed as well, i'll have to check that out one of these days. I wonder if Sobeys has shut down any of their other stores in the city what is going to happen with them.
Maples IGA last day open was sept 30

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Just had a thought on how St. Vital could potentially expand. What they could do is buy out Walmart's lease and expand into that area, that would increase the mall quite a bit. Walmart could be a new Super Walmart somewhere, I suppose down Bishop Grandin or on Lag perhaps. I say this because it's quite clear Walmart isn't fond of mall locations and doesn't appear to have a mall entrance anymore in St. Vital. I would HATE going to a mall with Walmart and having to go all the way outside to go to Walmart and I know I can't be the only one, are they idiots? I also think it would be a good idea if that mall had a parkade added like Polo Park has. Yeah it would mean having to walk down stairs or going down an elevator to get to the mall but that place badly needs more parking and going up seems to be their only option.

As for Polo Park, I suppose if Sears gets out and gets replaced by Nordstrom then that potentially frees up the whole second floor of Sears, no? I would use that area to expand it even further, just like they did with the old Zellers. Anyway, I don't know Nordstrom but i'm assuming they don't need 2 levels of store for clothing and what not.

Speaking of Sears, just how much longer can they keep the lights on in their St James Home Store? There is barely anyone ever there from what I have seen.
nordstrom would need a second floor, at least 110,000 sq ft+

a lot of the seattle suburb stores are 3 levels

first floor is usually mens, junior mens, cosmetics, shoes, accessories etc. some womens, kids, second floor is all womens, shoes, clothes etc. and a small home section, plus all the stores usually have an espresso bar and a restaurant

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:31 PM

The Maples IGA was supposed to close at the end of the month. Heard a report the "for lease" sign was changed to "leased". Rumor is that Young's will be opening in that location, possibly as a relocation of the McPhillips St location.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The Maples IGA was supposed to close at the end of the month. Heard a report the "for lease" sign was changed to "leased". Rumor is that Young's will be opening in that location, possibly as a relocation of the McPhillips St location.
Smart move for them. It gets them farther away from Lucky and closer to the large Asian population in and around the Maples which isn't served by a large specialty grocery store.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I was talking to my friend this weekend about what potential grocery stores could move in there and the only relaistic one we could think of was youngs considering how crazy busy that McPhillips location always is. Not sure if it's true but I heard that at one point they were trying to by an adjacent residendial property there to expand their parking lot.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 4:23 PM

The McPhillips and Lelia Safeway store would also seem to be a good location for Co-op's new grocery empire. It is a high profile location in an area that are not currently servicing.

The only other store closing in this round in the Ness Safeway. As it seems more closures are likely, it would make sense for Co-op to wait and see if the Portage and Caliver or Unicity store shows up in the next round.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 6:02 PM

As far as I know the complete Portage and Cavalier mall site is owned by Safeway so they many not want to leave that one.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:15 AM

Maybe Polo Park Will Get BUILD-A-BEAR WORKSHOP Just Like One In St Vital Centre That Will Be Awesome!

Last edited by horrorbro123; Oct 11, 2014 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 3:57 AM

The Target at Polo Park had a "soft opening" tonight.
Grand opening is on Friday

At Polo Park
Urban Outfitters opens on Thursday and Anthropologie opens on Friday

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2014/10/1...ight-on-target

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:16 AM

Well Co-op could always open up at Northgate where Zellers used to be. I know they want a grocery in there.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Well Co-op could always open up at Northgate where Zellers used to be. I know they want a grocery in there.
They desperately need to demo that entire site and rebuild to better use the available space. The back parking lot is a huge waste and the enclosed mall could likely be removed entirely. Picture a large grocery store on one end with small units in the middle and a Sports Check as the other anchor. Move everything to the back of the property line. Demo the old Loblaw's too giving you some interested anchors for the new building. The big question is what to do about two banks and two dollar store chains.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:59 PM

^ I agree, Northgate is laid out in a pretty inefficient way. That's partly the function of being a bit of a frankenstein complex that grew in fits and starts over the years, without any kind of real plan. Having a supermarket next door turned into a retail/office complex (Moore Centre) didn't help. Demolition and reconstruction from scratch would probably make the most sense, but two challenges arise:

1) the neighbours would probably raise holy hell about it

2) are there enough tenants interested in that stretch of McPhillips to justify it? The older-style retail strips (McPhillips, Pembina, Henderson) don't seem as popular these days.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I agree, Northgate is laid out in a pretty inefficient way. That's partly the function of being a bit of a frankenstein complex that grew in fits and starts over the years, without any kind of real plan. Having a supermarket next door turned into a retail/office complex (Moore Centre) didn't help. Demolition and reconstruction from scratch would probably make the most sense, but two challenges arise:

1) the neighbours would probably raise holy hell about it

2) are there enough tenants interested in that stretch of McPhillips to justify it? The older-style retail strips (McPhillips, Pembina, Henderson) don't seem as popular these days.
South Pembina is fine, but the rest of it is wanting for sure. Given the sorts of tenants left on that stretch of McPhillips, I'd be very surprised to see renewed interest from anybody high quality. Most of the tenancy one would require to get something like this off the ground have all abandoned ship in the last ten years. I'm not sure what would bring them back given they pay more attention to area demographics than the quality of the space they're in...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 8:30 PM

The old Loblaws appears to be staying put since they are redoing the exterior and that would be a terrible waste of money.

I agree the layout is bad but what would they do about all the businesses that are currently there?

Maybe the better idea is to build a grocery store in the parking lot at the back with an entrance from within the mall and a new mall entrance in the center to allow access to the grocery store.

Well something like that. They can redo the center of the mall to facilitate an entrance to the grocery store and have the mall come off of that. Would change it quite a bit and would keep most of the stores in place. They could always extend the mall north into the old Zellers to accommodate some of the stores and maybe add a couple more and in the process demo Zellers to add more parking. And maybe add another decent size tenant where Kmart used to be.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:19 AM

Just got an invite from McPhillips Toyota for a "Construction Sale". Seems they will be building a new dealership on McPhillips starting in February. I'm guessing it will be just down the street where Parkside Ford was originally going to go. That would open up space for something else at the current Toyota location.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 2:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Just got an invite from McPhillips Toyota for a "Construction Sale". Seems they will be building a new dealership on McPhillips starting in February. I'm guessing it will be just down the street where Parkside Ford was originally going to go. That would open up space for something else at the current Toyota location.
Actually on the other side of their parking lot north of their existing building (same site)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 3:09 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Parkside Ford is a mess right now. I needed a blend door actuator for my Crown Vic and had to wind through a warren of connected trailers to find the parts dept.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 3:16 PM

Took a stroll through the new Polo expansion this weekend. Looks pretty nice. It's a mall at the end of the day. I was under the impression that the first floor was going to have the new corridor as well. But it's just the second floor, which is fine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan