HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 7:15 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Calgary.

My two vehicles cost me $400/year more in Winnipeg than they did in Alberta.

If you are a good driver in Winnipeg you pay WAY more. In Manitoba, if you are a crap driver or have a DUI or a couple at fault accidents, your rates barely go up at all. Even better, just insure the cars under your wife and then you can get a full discount too (provided she is a decent driver).
Yes, but if you are a remotely bad driver, or move into Alberta from another province - you will pay substantially more than here...

Not to mention the glass replacement... Every second car in Alberta has a cracked windshield because insurance doesn't cover the replacement unless you opt to pay more for such services.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 8:19 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yes, but if you are a remotely bad driver, or move into Alberta from another province - you will pay substantially more than here...
If you are a bad driver you SHOULD pay more. You are a higher risk driver and should pay more than someone who goes decades without a claim.

If you move to Alberta a drivers abstract and claims history from your previous jurisdiction will keep your rates low (provided you are a good driver).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Not to mention the glass replacement... Every second car in Alberta has a cracked windshield because insurance doesn't cover the replacement unless you opt to pay more for such services.
At $400/year difference, I could replace my windshields almost on a yearly basis. Especially once you factor in the deductible to make a glass claim in Manitoba. That said. I have a $500 deductible here, so making an MPI claim for my windshield is retarded.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 8:23 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Yes, but the coverage here is not comparable to other places, most other places do no offer the same coverage as MPI. For one, our minimum liability coverage is higher (and is a good thing!). What is the minimum liability provided in Alberta?
Minimum liability in Alberta is $500,000. Most brokers will recommend that you go to $1-2 million to be safe. Even then the additional coverage costs next to nothing.

I believe it is also $500,000 in Manitoba by default.

How about when you are hit by a drunk driver in Manitoba and end up in pain for the rest of your life? What do you get here? Nothing but a fight with MPI for your lost wages and cost of rehabilitation. You have to do this all on your own. Gotta love "no fault" insurance.

Under a private system your insurance company sues the at-fault insurance company and you get a healthy payout plus coverage for your lost wages and rehabilitation costs.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 9:11 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
At $400/year difference, I could replace my windshields almost on a yearly basis. Especially once you factor in the deductible to make a glass claim in Manitoba. That said. I have a $500 deductible here, so making an MPI claim for my windshield is retarded.
$500 deductible? That's your choice. (And IMO questionable, considering how often damage happens to cars). I use $100 or $200 depending on the car, and claim every nick and scratch (comp claims are a beautiful thing...)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 10:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

MPI also does not allow PLPD (public liability, public damage) insurance. I do know ICBC allows it. It costs about 50% less than having collision.

If you drive a worthless vehicle (I did for many years, avoiding a car payment) you can insure without collision. If your car gets wrecked, buy another one! I believe every private insurer offers this type of insurance, but not here.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 10:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
MPI also does not allow PLPD (public liability, public damage) insurance. I do know ICBC allows it. It costs about 50% less than having collision.

If you drive a worthless vehicle (I did for many years, avoiding a car payment) you can insure without collision. If your car gets wrecked, buy another one! I believe every private insurer offers this type of insurance, but not here.
yea they don't it anoys my dad but then mpi is trying to discuarge old cars on the road

Old Posted Feb 17, 2011, 11:11 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

That has nothing to do with it. If a car is safe and well maintained there is no reason not to use it. Besides, how long does it take for a Malibu or Cavalier to be worth $1500?

It's another Manitoba tax is all. We SHOULD be allowed another auto insurance option.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 1:34 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
It's another Manitoba tax is all. We SHOULD be allowed another auto insurance option.
It sounds good in theory, but in practice... us Ontarians are jealous of MPI. (Well, lots of us anyway.)

Personally, I take the bus. Cheaper, and since I live downtown, more convenient.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 1:43 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
That has nothing to do with it. If a car is safe and well maintained there is no reason not to use it. Besides, how long does it take for a Malibu or Cavalier to be worth $1500?

The Ontario Car insurance industry is a wreck. Premiums are pretty high... there were recently tonnes of reforms put through... and the industry experience is still overwhelmingly in the red.

Trust me... Saskatchewan and Manitoba are definitely better off without that mess...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 2:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

mpi does charge a surchage on ur licence though.........

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 3:29 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
mpi does charge a surchage on ur licence though.........
Well... not on mine... as I'm not a resident of Manitoba... so I guess I'm lucky then. There are only surcharges here if you have a fine because of going down below 0 in points due to infractions.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Well... not on mine... as I'm not a resident of Manitoba... so I guess I'm lucky then. There are only surcharges here if you have a fine because of going down below 0 in points due to infractions.
depending on ur demerits or merits ur licence ranges from $35-$1600

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:34 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
depending on ur demerits or merits ur licence ranges from $35-$1600
Here the licence is $25 per year... or 5 years for $100... but once you go below zero every point is a one time charge of $50 I think... which is due at licence renewal. I think the lowest you can go is -26... A standard at fault accident is -6 I think.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

your licence costs u more plus the 1 time surcharge depending if u have any at fault acedents that year or tickets..

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 6:15 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
your licence costs u more plus the 1 time surcharge depending if u have any at fault acedents that year or tickets..
That's why you don't get in accidents ... and every point to the good is a 2% discount. And it costs us less.. you said yours is 35-1600... ours is minimum 25 or down to 20 now with the new 5 year plan.

Are there discounts worked into the MPI system at all? I'm guessing our systems are actually pretty similar.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 6:15 AM

Quote:
The Ontario Car insurance industry is a wreck. Premiums are pretty high... there were recently tonnes of reforms put through... and the industry experience is still overwhelmingly in the red.

Trust me... Saskatchewan and Manitoba are definitely better off without that mess...
So true. Ontario is horribly expensive - From my experience (anecdotal of course, but having lived in Ontario for 2 years), people often pay more for a $500 deductible than most of us would for $200. But the true costs don't come out until you're in an accident - that's when the private insurers come out with every loophole in the book as to why you aren't covered... I'll take MPI any day...

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 6:24 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
So true. Ontario is horribly expensive - From my experience (anecdotal of course, but having lived in Ontario for 2 years), people often pay more for a $500 deductible than most of us would for $200. But the true costs don't come out until you're in an accident - that's when the private insurers come out with every loophole in the book as to why you aren't covered... I'll take MPI any day...
They also have a larger issue with fraud over there (which is part of the reason their system is so screwed up... and also one of the reasons insurers are more "prickish")... I'm definitely happy maintaining monopoly coverage. ...

Do private insurers compete for top-up policies in Manitoba or is everything with MPI?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 6:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres top up options

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 2:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

MPI is getting into the fraud business too.

They have a new policy to deduct merits in the old system, and if the settlement overlapped system changeover, to deduct merits in the new system as well. So that's two charges for the same accident. Their explanation? "The timing is unfortunate."

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 2:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Do private insurers compete for top-up policies in Manitoba or is everything with MPI?
We have no choice in auto insurance. Only extra insurance for classic or high value cars.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan