HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:01 PM
Change is good

This poll was an internet poll? Rather than the standard means of surveys -- phones?

Sounds legit... Of course canuck fans will grasp at straws on anything to defend against what the rest of the NHL is saying about them...

So basically. like any other online poll, it was posted on some forum like canuckcentral and the results are skewed before the chickens even hatched...

The pollstar is reputable, but an internet poll? Highly unscientific and unrealistic results are expected.

NHL analysts league wide still say... Canucks are divers!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:02 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post

I think numbers are not doing your argument any good when you're not willing to find the laughably bad diving and embellishments on any of the other teams.
Ask and you shall receive:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

What? You thought that was going to be difficult or something? It took less than 30 seconds to find those. It seems your problem is not blind hatred, but blindness in general.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
You seem to be waging a war with reality: Not only does everyone not hate the Canucks, the Canucks are in fact Canada's favourite playoff team and supported by a majority of Albertans. It is you who are in the minority and out of step.
You sure do pick and choose what to quote. And move the goalposts as you see fit.

So let me ask you this instead: why do so many hockey fans, on hockey forums such as this and elsewhere, plus most of the hockey media world, seem to consider the Canucks as a team full of divers that is disliked by most Canadian hockey fans? Why is there story after story after story in the mainstream press about it? Again, did we all just wake up one day with a mutual irrational dislike for the team, for no reason whatsoever?

Or are you now going to quote me using the word "mutual" and claim that I'm out of touch with reality because not every single person on the planet is in lockstep agreement, therefore the word "mutual" cannot apply, therefore everything else I'm asking is wrong? Or perhaps you can quote "one day" and respond with "I'm sure it happened over 4 days, therefore I'm going to focus on that part".

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

You guys do realize that nobody is listening to the other side of the argument, right? So why bother dragging this out?

I last signed in less than five hours ago, and already had to wade through two more pages of this crap. Let it go already!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 10:49 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post

This poll was an internet poll? Rather than the standard means of surveys -- phones?

The pollstar [sic] is reputable, but an internet poll? Highly unscientific and unrealistic results are expected
Please tell me this level of ignorance is rare in Alberta, a province I admire.

News Flash:

In the 21st century, online polls are "proving more accurate than phoning." (Source: Toronto Star) "Randomized telephone polling, which has been the backbone of the industry for decades, is rapidly giving way to online polling." (Source: CBC) The "respondents are more likely to take the time to answer questions accurately." (Source: Toronto Star) "Internet polls are now clearly the wave of the future." (Source: CBC) The most accurate poll in the 2008 federal election was an online poll (conducted by Angus Reid, of course). (Source: Toronto Star) The most accurate poll in the 2011 federal election was an online poll (once again, conducted by Angus Reid). (Source: Angus Reid Forum)

Are you done making a fool of yourself?

Last edited by Prometheus; Apr 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:11 AM

I think the Panthers forgot the playoffs started. Can't blame them, it's only been since 1999.

The last team to finally qualify for the playoffs in this millenium! Yay!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post

I personally think the canucks dive more than most teams, but that's probably because I'm looking for it when I watch them. No stats or list of calls or anything like that can prove it, someone would have to watch every NHL game and count the number of dives by each team...
This is an insightful and mature comment.

It's insightful because it accurately describes what science tell us: we often believe (erroneously) that phenomenon "A" occurs more frequently than phenomenon "B" precisely because we are actively looking for phenomenon "A" while paying less attention to phenomenon "B". And we look for phenomenon "A" more aggressively than we look for phenomenon "B" because the former is consistent with our strongly held beliefs or prejudices while the latter is not. That's why dispassionate scientific research, not subjective anecdotal evidence, reveals the truth.

The comment is mature because you have the integrity to self-introspect and the honesty to admit what you find.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:20 AM
Go Chiefs!

The Pens-Flyers series has the potential to be the best post-lockout...

WOW!!! It's 4-4 heading into the third.

I encourage to watch this game... THIS is playoff hockey.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:26 AM

It's a fantastic series for sure!

Too bad for the Panthers, still haven't won a playoff game this millenium.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 2:08 AM

The Flyers are ridiculous! Hat trick for Couturier, 5 point night for Giroux!

I guess you can't win a run and gun game against them. Even if you are the Penguins.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 2:54 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Mods, if you're going to delete my observant comment about the ridiculous nature of some of these pathetic hyper competitive Alberta fans, please have some consistency. If we expect to have a thread that remains reasonably civilized, brig people like this complete illiterate wanker above me. I can't see Canucks fans on SSP remaining polite for much longer.

The irony of these select Alberta fans calling out Canuck fans for being douches while being compete santorums themselves can't possibly be lost on others reading this thread, can it?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 3:06 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
The Flyers are ridiculous! Hat trick for Couturier, 5 point night for Giroux!

I guess you can't win a run and gun game against them. Even if you are the Penguins.
-hat trick, 6 pts and 12 shots on goal for Giroux
-hat trick for Couturier

Fleury is overrated... I can't believe he was a 1st overall pick.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 3:40 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Can we create a separate thread in which these Edmonton guys can continue on however they want? Whatever Canucks fans that want to pay attention to them can post there, too.

I mean, it's obviously gone completely overboard now. And I say this as a guy who would probably be overcome by crippling emotional agony if Vancouver ever won the cup.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 3:42 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Sounds nice.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:00 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Mods, if you're going to delete my observant comment about the ridiculous nature of some of these pathetic hyper competitive Alberta fans, please have some consistency. If we expect to have a thread that remains reasonably civilized, brig people like this complete illiterate wanker above me. I can't see Canucks fans on SSP remaining polite for much longer.

The irony of these select Alberta fans calling out Canuck fans for being douches while being compete santorums themselves can't possibly be lost on others reading this thread, can it?
Trying my best.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:04 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What? You thought that was going to be difficult or something? It took less than 30 seconds to find those. It seems your problem is not blind hatred, but blindness in general.
They're calling the Canucks out for that horrendous game yesterday, where multiple instances of happened in a single game. However, those selections were from more than one game. If it were one game, then you would be talking.

But let's not get too trolled up lest you become the troll yourself.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:57 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Oh Em Gee, what a great hockey night. Pens got slapped down, and the Kings got to witness once again what happens when the refs pay attention. Plus, 2 SHG. How's that diving stratagem working for you now, Vignault (sp)?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 5:15 AM

It was a pretty clean game, but the Kings best players were better than the Canucks best players.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 12:50 PM

Oh wow! Those Flyers young guns sure are explosive. The management are geniuses, knowing how to continually replenish the team with talent. This youth core is going to be dangerous for years to come.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:20 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Can't get over this Philly/Pittsburgh series. What exciting hockey that was. The Philly team really does thrive on coming from behind. Phenomenal game, so exciting.

And LA continues! Love it. I sort of was defaulted the Kings in my pool because no one liked their chances against the Canucks. Who's laughing now?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada