HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Tuesday 8am and no published DRC Agenda for tonight. Anyone know if the June meeting is still on for later today? Many thanks, fellow Midtowners
No June meeting

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Tuesday 8am and no published DRC Agenda for tonight. Anyone know if the June meeting is still on for later today? Many thanks, fellow Midtowners
General rule of thumb has been if the agenda is not available by close of business friday, the meeting is canceled.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
General rule of thumb has been if the agenda is not available by close of business friday, the meeting is canceled.
Thanks, folks

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 10:52 PM

Opus Place website is down. Hmm...

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post

The view where the spandrels are flattened appears to be the most current of all the renderings. Loudermilk has a view from Peachtree illustrating the office/retail leg.
It's the same exact design as the Buckhead Hanover (and Houston Post Oak) just with an "s" shape tower versus an "L". Better quality cookie cutter than Novare.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3H9v4

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 12:05 AM

I think the Fuqua development on 17th is actually under construction now. They're doing a lot of digging and there are pipes laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
It's the same exact design as the Buckhead Hanover (and Houston Post Oak) just with an "s" shape tower versus an "L".
Those are completely different designs. Even the finishes and glass are different.

Last edited by RocketSurgeon; Jun 14, 2017 at 1:15 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
It's the same exact design as the Buckhead Hanover (and Houston Post Oak) just with an "s" shape tower versus an "L". Better quality cookie cutter than Novare.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3H9v4
I think that this is a good looking building...significantly better than the Novare designs, in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
I think the Fuqua development on 17th is actually under construction now. They're doing a lot of digging and there are pipes laying around.

Those are completely different designs. Even the finishes and glass are different.

I would wait and see what's actually built versus the rendering. Look at the rendering for Alta Midtown and the real thing....

Here's Houston - I bet Buckhead ends up looking identical (or nearly so) albeit Buckhead looks to be shorter. http://imgur.com/a/5cukL

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I would wait and see what's actually built versus the rendering. Look at the rendering for Alta Midtown and the real thing....

Here's Houston - I bet Buckhead ends up looking identical (or nearly so) albeit Buckhead looks to be shorter. http://imgur.com/a/5cukL
It's not identical. Yes. They use the same basic elements but thats not a bad thing because they use high quality, attractive materials.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 12:43 PM

Midtown Alliance seeks engineers for 15th Street extension (Atlanta Business Chronicle Paywall)

Quote:
Environmental studies for the project could take two years, followed by a construction period of a year to 18 months ...
It will take 3-4 years to extend a street two blocks? WTF!?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 1:10 PM

We keep talking about encouraging bikers, mass transit and walkers. How does building more streets do that? Why not create a boulevard for walkers and bikers the whole length of 15th instead of creating 2 more blocks just for cars to travel? Make a nice super wide sidewalk lined with food and retail. At least encourage it with a pedestrian thoroughfare with trees and benches the whole length of 15th like you'd see in Spanish countries.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 1:24 PM

Quote:

The Buckhead building is almost complete-- it looks like the rendering--
having a similar style is not the same as repeating the exact same building (ie- Novare). The Midtown version works well in many ways-- even in its (slightly) VE'ed form.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 1:53 PM

New Renders of the Campanile Retail Refresh (looks like some value engineering has occured):

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Midtown Alliance seeks engineers for 15th Street extension (Atlanta Business Chronicle Paywall)

It will take 3-4 years to extend a street two blocks? WTF!?
It's the government raping and pimping your taxes.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
We keep talking about encouraging bikers, mass transit and walkers. How does building more streets do that? Why not create a boulevard for walkers and bikers the whole length of 15th instead of creating 2 more blocks just for cars to travel? Make a nice super wide sidewalk lined with food and retail. At least encourage it with a pedestrian thoroughfare with trees and benches the whole length of 15th like you'd see in Spanish countries.
In Spain and Latin America they don't just take random streets and make them pedestrian: they take the very best streets. In Atlanta, they'd take Peachtree Street from 14th at least down to Ponce and make it pedestrian.

Anyhow, what 15th really needs is a lane diet. There's no earthly need for two eastbound lanes on 15th between West Peachtree and Arts Center Way when only a single lane feeds into that stretch of road.

Many other streets could use the same treatment: West Peachtree and Spring lane closures during construction really haven't made traffic noticably worse: the only spot you need to be a full five lanes is right before a major intersection, where there's lots of turning traffic. After the intersection, 3-4 lanes will suffice with no issue. We should trim away lanes on both roads and expand sidewalks and bike lanes considerably (even when bike lanes aren't contiguous they provide more buffer for the sidewalk).

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Anyhow, what 15th really needs is a lane diet. There's no earthly need for two eastbound lanes on 15th between West Peachtree and Arts Center Way when only a single lane feeds into that stretch of road.
During rush hour both of those lanes are filled with cars and lots of commuter busses headed up to Cobb county and other suburbs, turning right on W. Peachtree. I think the 15th street extension will help tremendously with all the buses that service the Arts Center station as well as help divert traffic from 14th street. Until we have a comprehensive transit system that covers all the suburbs with some type of rail, we will need to make Midtown more efficient for road transportation. I'm sure Midtown plans on making this 2 block road a complete street as well as creating implements for a future 15th street bridge over the highway. Would be nice if they could eventually cap the connector in this area.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
It's the government raping and pimping your taxes.
This project is from Midtown Alliance, which is funded by voluntarily self-taxing businesses. Since this is a big project, some of the funding will come from GDOT and COA. So, the long project timeline has nothing to do with "pimping taxes," it has to do with it being a project led by a non-profit with multiple funding sources.

Last edited by shivtim; Jun 14, 2017 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:15 PM

I'm fine with calling it a lane diet as well but it seems odd how so many on here gripe about more parking garages but then praise the building of new roadways. We should focus on the frabric of creating a true pedestrian/biker experience for midtown and not building roadways.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
This project is from Midtown Alliance, which is funded by voluntarily self-taxing businesses. Since this is a big project, some of the funding will come from GDOT and COA. So, the long project timeline has nothing to do with "pimping taxes," it has to do with it being a project led by a non-profit with multiple funding sources.
Ahhhh...that's great then!!!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
New Renders of the Campanile Retail Refresh
Those are actually the old renderings. Those have been around for years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations