HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 11:43 PM

http://globalnews.ca/news/3268281/as...y-citizenship/

This is a step in the right direction.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 2:44 AM
Still optimistic

If you read past the title, you'll see that this isn't a step in any direction. This has been the standard procedure since forever.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:31 AM

Our system is actually fairly good at deporting people with bogus asylum claims. And it does so pretty quickly too.. it's actually a lot more efficient at that than the American system.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:27 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
If you read past the title, you'll see that this isn't a step in any direction. This has been the standard procedure since forever.
And if you scroll through the photos in the article, you'll see some key messages associated with the story.

For me these are probably the most powerful photos ...

I can't imagine a more "anti Trump" photo

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Feb 24, 2017 at 8:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 10:25 AM
Still optimistic

I have to admit, that last photo tugs at my heartstrings. In a more emotional way, I really do hope that our country can live up to that picture : solidarity, openness and good humour in the face of adversity. These next few years will be a true test of our national character. I really hope that once we get through it, we will still be able to look at that photo and say "yup, we're still Canada".

I'm certain not everyone will agree with me. But unlike many of my posts, this is just about the way I feel about the situation.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 1:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There aren't any legal barriers we can put up. If you stand 1cm outside the border, the RCMP has no jurisdiction to stop you. Once you're more than halfway over the border, the Charter guarantees you rights, which, as the Supreme Court has ruled several times, means that the government can't send you someplace where there is a clear causal link between deportation and persecution.
This, I think is the source of many people's concerns. While I of course don't know if the influx of asylum seekers will ever really reach a rate that threatens our society, and I do hope it doesn't; you have to admit that in a legal sense we've painted ourselves into a corner. Should we experience a wave of migrants similar to Europe recently, I'm sure we can take some form of legal action/legislative changes that eventually hardens our borders but these things take time and in a real sense it may be too late.

I for one, would prefer a set of laws and treaty obligations that maintain our sovereignty, and allow us to vet asylum seekers before they set foot on Canadian soil. All those who have a legitimate claim will be admitted as per the UN convention. I know it's been mentioned before but Australia did this. We're not an island nation, so we would need to enforce laws that make what's currently happening illegal and force asylum seekers to the legal entry points. This is what I've been arguing all along because this puts Canadians back in the driving seat.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Seems to me that asking the government to "do something!" about the flow of migrants to the border is almost like asking them to control the amount of rain that is going to fall.

That said, I think the fears of a migrant flood similar to that seen in Europe are greatly exaggerated.

Baden Powell had the best advice on this one: "be prepared".

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:25 PM

^ As far as refugee migrations go, the one trickling into Quebec in Manitoba is a tiny, almost imperceptible one. It's just triggering a huge reaction in some circles because we're simply not used to the sight of people coming in from the south to seek asylum. The random Africans coming into a small town like Emerson in the dead of night is just not something that anyone ever envisioned.

The reality is that we won't see a that stream turn into a huge flood because it's simply not that easy for would be asylum seekers to get into the US to begin with.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:25 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ As far as refugee migrations go, the one trickling into Quebec in Manitoba is a tiny, almost imperceptible one. It's just triggering a huge reaction in some circles because we're simply not used to the sight of people coming in from the south to seek asylum. The random Africans coming into a small town like Emerson in the dead of night is just not something that anyone ever envisioned.

The reality is that we won't see a that stream turn into a huge flood because it's simply not that easy for would be asylum seekers to get into the US to begin with.
True enough but if it was your door that's being knocked on at 3:00 in the morning by someone walking across the border and this was now happening with some regularity, you most likely would have a different viewpoint.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
True enough but if it was your door that's being knocked on at 3:00 in the morning by someone walking across the border and this was now happening with some regularity, you most likely would have a different viewpoint.
Fair enough. I'm not saying the townsfolk of Emerson don't have a legitimate beef with having to shoulder much of the burden associated with this (mind you, they've been handling it with remarkable compassion and generosity), I'm thinking of it more in the national context. The way some people are reacting, you would think we were Greece or Turkey with thousands upon thousands streaming in.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 4:04 PM
BANNED

Here's CBC article with suggestions on what steps to take to fix our current border laws:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...gees-1.3998088

I'm posting this because the writer's views happen to agree with my own.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:05 AM

However, this poll (Quebec only) suggests opportunity may be knocking there if a party can exploit the issue (55% of Quebecers take the Donald Trump position on immigration, and 75% want a crackdown on illegal migrants):

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...migration-poll

Those numbers do seem high - I would think they might have oversampled outside of Greater Montreal?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:50 AM

The question that poll asks is essentially "should we increase immigration in response to Donald Trump's policies?" to which 55% answered no, 36% answered yes, and 9% were unsure. It doesn't ask if immigration in general should be stopped. By world standards 36% is actually a pretty high percentage who would be open to increasing immigration.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I have to admit, that last photo tugs at my heartstrings. In a more emotional way, I really do hope that our country can live up to that picture : solidarity, openness and good humour in the face of adversity. These next few years will be a true test of our national character. I really hope that once we get through it, we will still be able to look at that photo and say "yup, we're still Canada".

I'm certain not everyone will agree with me. But unlike many of my posts, this is just about the way I feel about the situation.
Okay, so a President wants to follow the law and make it easier for people to immigrate LEGALLY and this is some sort of widespread oppression that Canada has to fight? Wtf? If you are fine with letting people enter a country illegally and not enforce borders you shouldn't lock your doors and night and you shouldn't kick out squatters in that enter your house.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 10:11 PM

Just so we're all clear here: Canadian laws are being enforced.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 7:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Just so we're all clear here: Canadian laws are being enforced.
Yeah, I watched Goodale's speech this morning. Had to shake my head, I mean, way to dodge the issue. Point is though, there's nothing to worry about at this point so no solid reason to change any laws or bilateral agreements. Hopefully it stays this way.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 8:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
Yeah, I watched Goodale's speech this morning. Had to shake my head, I mean, way to dodge the issue. Point is though, there's nothing to worry about at this point so no solid reason to change any laws or bilateral agreements. Hopefully it stays this way.
I'm deeply dissapointed that we as a nation are willing to take these kinds of risks to our national security. This whole situation makes us extremely vulnerable.

If things get out of control ans shit it's the fan, we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 8:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I'm deeply dissapointed that we as a nation are willing to take these kinds of risks to our national security. This whole situation makes us extremely vulnerable.

If things get out of control ans shit it's the fan, we have nobody to blame but ourselves.
Your point is entirely valid, but to quote Acajack in the Multiculturalism thread:
"Don't worry about the rocks ahead. We've seen rocks before and always managed to avoid them. No need to use the rudder at this point."

We have become aware of a potential problem early. Let's not act brashly and loose face in front of the international community just yet and agree to keep an eye on the situation. It's just a question of how much faith you have that our politicians will act if things take a turn... and with Trudeau at the helm, I agree that there is some cause for concern. I'm just not too worried yet.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

Calm down.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 5:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Calm down.
No, I will not calm down. I will continue to vocalise my opposition to this stupidity of our government putting us at risk because of the "we are "Canada" malarchy. Just because we are "Canada" does not mean we have to be a doormat to the US and the rest of the world. We can still be a welcoming nation to everyone, however we do not need to willingly allow people from the United States cross our border illegally. These people are not refugees. I will never change my stance and there does seem to be a growing number of Canadians who are finally seeing the light on this matter and wanting our government to put Canadians first. These people are not Canada's problem; they belong to the US and are their problem. Send them back to the US.

Time to grow some balls Canada.

Last edited by Pinus; Mar 6, 2017 at 6:11 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada