HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 8:56 PM

Its such a relief that the other HY towers went for different colored glass and materials than 30 and 10. For mostly glass towers, this group does not fall victim to forming into one massive glass blob...And 30 is an awesome pinnacle for all of it!

I am curious to how this will feel at the ground level. While it is definitely dense, I assume this grid is more spread out than typical NYC streets?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 12:11 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
Its such a relief that the other HY towers went for different colored glass and materials than 30 and 10. For mostly glass towers, this group does not fall victim to forming into one massive glass blob...And 30 is an awesome pinnacle for all of it!

I am curious to how this will feel at the ground level. While it is definitely dense, I assume this grid is more spread out than typical NYC streets?

best i can describe it is the buildings surround what looks like its going to be a public square with the vessel in the middle and a subway station and a new road and park at the northend. i think there will be a few indoor/outdoor restaurants/kiosks or something like that around the perimeter of the public square space.

its hard to say how hy will fit into the manhattan grid. seems like it will on the northside 34st and westside 11th av, but the east side 10th av is blocked off by the mall and the south side 30st by the culture shed and highline.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 2:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The observation deck might be the best bang for the buck, right up to Top of the Rock.

I wonder how much it'll cost? Lets just say if its $30, I'd rather pay it to go there than 1 WTC, which has a lackluster deck.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The observation deck might be the best bang for the buck, right up to Top of the Rock.

I wonder how much it'll cost? Lets just say if its $30, I'd rather pay it to go there than 1 WTC, which has a lackluster deck.
I agree... $30 is a decent chunk of change, but with the glass bottom extension especially, you get something amazing....plus you're right near Vessel and the public park …. what they did to replace the once incredible experience at the top of the WTC is pathetic.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 1:04 AM
Mr. Technology

The July 4th fireworks will be best viewed from the observation deck.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
The July 4th fireworks will be best viewed from the observation deck.
Yes "That would be Wonderful"

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 4:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I bet the base jumpers will be itching to try this out. For those that don't know, its adrenaline junkies pretty much that jump off skyscrapers.

Example:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I agree... $30 is a decent chunk of change, but with the glass bottom extension especially, you get something amazing....plus you're right near Vessel and the public park …. what they did to replace the once incredible experience at the top of the WTC is pathetic.
I think its safe to say this will at least equal the price of the admission to 1 WTC observatory ($34). This observatory offers a lot more.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:13 AM

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
I assume this grid is more spread out than typical NYC streets?
This site is on a superblock, but the towers are more spread out, and that was deliberate. It's the reason why there are so many tall towers going up in the area. It was the tradeoff in the planning. Think of it as having air rights consolidated onto single sites. The plaza here will be a cross between Times Square/Rockefeller Plaza. And of course, the High Line feeds right into it.

Another look at this proud moment...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlzDE08h...ken-by=jhaykin

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl1N3gcF...y=blackicemike

Quote:
Got to move some floats with @jakedahan and @zander_mc16 1300ft up the other day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlxaVOfh...-by=chihoboken

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:32 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

This photo is amazing. Is there a higher quality version anywhere? So atmospheric.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:42 PM
Registered Ugly

^Epic.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
This photo is amazing. Is there a higher quality version anywhere? So atmospheric.
Have to contact the photographer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl0G9zJh...y=rhubarb_food

Hudson Yards is fresh, but there's still Old New York...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl0kYcyn...y=andrewweiss1

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bly12hwn...y=marianiten82

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bly8N1_h...en-by=ccforgot

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 12:33 PM

These last batch of photos are insanely beautiful. Hudson Yards just dominates the skyline as you're driving north on the NJ Turnpike.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 12:56 PM
BANNED

Capital of the world!!!!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 3:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
These last batch of photos are insanely beautiful. Hudson Yards just dominates the skyline as you're driving north on the NJ Turnpike.
It does. And looking at the photo below, I'm always reminded that 50 Hudson and the Spiral will be taller, and bulkier than 1 MW. And you can throw 3 Hudson into the mix,
another massive and bulky tower. You get an idea of the scale, even without towers of future phases thrown in.

June Marie

Michael Lee

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 31, 2018 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 7:49 PM

How many people can that platform observation deck safely hold? Can they hold mini-concert events up there for televised special events like Macy's Fourth of July or New Year's Rockin' Eve?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How many people can that platform observation deck safely hold? Can they hold mini-concert events up there for televised special events like Macy's Fourth of July or New Year's Rockin' Eve?
Not sure the maximum capacity number but there is event space up there.

via Curbed NY...
Quote:
hospitality firm Rhubarb will operate a 10,000-square-foot public space within 30 Hudson Yards, the project’s supertall skyscraper. It’ll include a bar, restaurant, and event space, and will be on the top two floors of the skyscraper

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 12:52 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A bar...!

That's a good date spot. So long as your date isn't afraid of heights.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 3:47 AM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive