HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 12:21 AM

Article from Hidden City

Points out that CCRA (or NIMBYS) are basically directly to blame for the new design.

http://hiddencityphila.org/2015/05/d...-boyd-project/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 8:44 PM

Pearl Properties Goes Back Before The Historical Commission With Boyd Revisions

http://hiddencityphila.org/2015/06/p...oyd-revisions/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieStevens View Post
Pearl Properties Goes Back Before The Historical Commission With Boyd Revisions

http://hiddencityphila.org/2015/06/p...oyd-revisions/

So Pearl changed the color to beige for the corner building.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
So Pearl changed the color to beige for the corner building.
And the tower.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 10:20 PM

Barf. So the entire block would be the color of a sun-stained cardboard box.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 11:02 PM

Uninspired. But still a big improvement from the last shiteous proposal in my opinion. Nothing on the actual tower itself?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 2:01 AM

Looks like the exact same proposal with a "bland filter" on it. I mean the last incarnation was ugly, but at least it pretended to be interesting with its colored panels. Seems Pearl is defiant in delivering anything like the Art Deco high-rise it originally proposed. I'm curious what they plan to do with the Boyd's lobby. In the rendering, it looks like a Versace knock-off. I thought it was gonna be the entrance to the apartment tower.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Looks like the exact same proposal with a "bland filter" on it. I mean the last incarnation was ugly, but at least it pretended to be interesting with its colored panels. Seems Pearl is defiant in delivering anything like the Art Deco high-rise it originally proposed. I'm curious what they plan to do with the Boyd's lobby. In the rendering, it looks like a Versace knock-off. I thought it was gonna be the entrance to the apartment tower.
Of course, I would have much rather had that amazing Art Deco tower fronting Chestnut. But I'd much rather have bland than ugly on this stretch. It is 3 storefronts. We just need something to enliven the street experience and fill the decaying vacant stores there now. Maybe the stores that go in there will themselves do something interesting with displays.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 9:45 PM

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 11:14 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

This project just keeps getting worse and worse.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 2:43 AM

Demo update

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 2:47 PM

Quote:
"I'm encouraged that the stakeholders and developers will reach an agreement," said Richard Gross, appearing on behalf of residences including Ten Rittenhouse, William Penn House, Kate's Place, and his own condo complex at 1920 Chestnut. He had urged a vote delay.
When you think about the years of litigation and NIMBY-ism before 10 Ritt was built and then you read this? I almost threw up in my mouth. The people living there must have very short memories.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
When you think about the years of litigation and NIMBY-ism before 10 Ritt was built and then you read this? I almost threw up in my mouth. The people living there must have very short memories.

I missed that delicious little tidbit of irony till you pointed it out.

Pretty much nano-crystallizes the essence of NIMBYism so perfectly you would miss it unless you are hyper observant.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 11:18 PM

TargetExpress store planned for part of Boyd site at 19th & Chestnut

Quote:
Target Corp. will open in miniature at the Boyd Theater development site, tapping Center City's growing base of workers and residents amid the retailer's nationwide roll-out of smaller-format shops tailored to urban storefronts.

The Minneapolis-based company will open a TargetExpress store at 19th and Chestnut Streets in July 2016, offering fresh groceries, cellphone supplies, beauty items, and other goods in a retail building near the 1920s-era movie palace's facade, company spokeswoman Erika Winkels said Monday.

More TargetExpress stores may follow, with the company said to be eyeing at least one other Center City location.

Target's planned entry into central Philadelphia follows a February announcement that it would open eight TargetExpress stores this year in the San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, and other urban locations.

"They could go into densely populated areas of Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco and be very profitable and productive with walk-in trade from people working in the neighborhood as well as people living in the neighborhood," said Burt Flickinger III, managing director of retail consultant Strategic Resource Group in New York.

Philadelphia's store will be 21,000 square feet over two floors, about 16 percent as big as a typical Target store, Winkels said. The 19th and Chestnut location places it in the Raymond Pace Alexander building, a historic two-story structure that would be enlarged through construction of an adjacent three-story retail building, according to the most recent plans.

The building is a piece of the redevelopment plan partially approved Friday by Philadelphia's Historical Commission. It also includes the restoration of the Boyd's 1950s marquee, with a restaurant to be set in the space behind the facade.

At that hearing, developer Pearl Properties withdrew a plan for a 341-foot-tall apartment tower where the Boyd's Art Deco auditorium once stood, to seek more neighborhood input.

The planned TargetExpress store will eschew the bulk packaging found at Target's big-box sites for smaller items that a carless customer could carry out and stash easily in a cramped apartment, Winkels said.

"It's a block from Rittenhouse Square. There's a ton of existing retail, lots of pedestrian traffic," she said. "We've got a greater opportunity to serve those guests who are maybe not as able to drive to a full Target store in a suburb."

The company was still deciding whether to put a pharmacy in the store, Winkels said. Target and CVS Health Corp. said earlier Monday that the drugstore chain would acquire the retailer's pharmacy and clinic businesses.

Though Winkels declined to discuss plans for any other area TargetExpress locations, Larry Steinberg, a senior vice president at real estate brokerage CBRE, said efforts were "moving forward" to lease the retailer space in a retail and residential project being built by Brickstone Cos. on Chestnut Street between 11th and 12th Streets.

The projects' developers seem to see Target, with its stock of daily necessities, as a convenience to draw residents to live in their buildings, Center City District president Paul Levy said.

Target, meanwhile, clearly sees the smaller-store format as a way to initiate contact with those apartment dwellers, many of whom may migrate to the its traditional suburban turf as their families grow, Flickinger said.

"It's giving shoppers in high-opportunity markets like Philadelphia a good experience with TargetExpress, which ultimately will translate successfully to the suburban stores over time," he said.

jadelman@phillynews.com

215-854-2615 @jacobadelman
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...O5Z4vfe2KAJ.99

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 12:37 AM

Boom!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:31 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
This project just keeps getting worse and worse.
Unbelievable.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 2:13 PM

Nice play there Pearl - one way to get the people to stop bitching .... give em a Target! Everyone loves Target. Well played.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:03 PM

Target is a befitting cherry on top of this shit sandwich. Although, Dollar General may have been more appropriate.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williard Mouse View Post
Although, Dollar General may have been more appropriate.
why?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 1:52 AM

Tongue in cheek......Dollar General's business model generally places stores in economically depressed areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive