HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
I'll break the mold. I don't go to the LB's out of principle. That and their physical stores suck.
Curious, what principle is that?

Public LB's: profit goes back to the Province, employees are paid a good living wage.

Private stores: profit goes to the private company, most of which are not located in Saskatchewan. Employees generally do not make much more than minimum.

Product is similar, prices are virtually the same.

I understand choosing convenience, price, selection, whatever, but principle.. doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Curious, what principle is that?

Public LB's: profit goes back to the Province, employees are paid a good living wage.

Private stores: profit goes to the private company, most of which are not located in Saskatchewan. Employees generally do not make much more than minimum.

Product is similar, prices are virtually the same.

I understand choosing convenience, price, selection, whatever, but principle.. doesn't make sense.
The principle is that the government should not be involved in the provision of basic goods and services that the private sector can provide.

There's no reason that alcohol should be retailed or wholesaled by the province. The insanely restrictive liquor laws are directly influenced by the SGLA being involved with direct to consumer sales and the SGEU's influence is also a terrible idea.

The prices are only similar because he province dictates the product price.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 9:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The principle is that the government should not be involved in the provision of basic goods and services that the private sector can provide.

There's no reason that alcohol should be retailed or wholesaled by the province. The insanely restrictive liquor laws are directly influenced by the SGLA being involved with direct to consumer sales and the SGEU's influence is also a terrible idea.

This. There are plenty of services that the government should be providing like in the case of natural monopolies or where the for-profit model isn't effective (i.e. power and telcomm infrastructure, roads, police, primary healthcare and education, etc.), but retail is not one of them. The only reason they are in the business of selling liquor in the first place is because of Prohibition and the puritan mindset of our ancestors. We should be well past that type of ideological thinking today. After all, we were the drinking and driving capital of Canada before liquor laws were loosened up. There are better and more fair ways of ensuring workers are getting paid affordable wages than make-work government services in areas that aren't investing in our society.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:

The prices are nearly the same as Alberta where there's a private liquor store on every second corner.

It's a cash cow for the province, but if you prefer to see the profits go to the Weston family or Empire Company, then have at it.

Age restricted products, like alcohol, marijuana and gambling are usually regulated or 'influenced' by government. Even in Quebec, the SAQ is prominent. I personally don't have an issue with that.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 3:24 PM

Why not nationalize all the Tim Hortons and Walmarts as well? Would be a huge boon for the province!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
The SLGA on Quance is the busiest of the govt stores in Regina. It isn't going anywhere. As for selling warm beer, the beer companies aren't paying for their stuff to be put in the cooler.
Sure it was busy before there were 3, soon to be 4, private stores nearby. SLGA on Quance is toast.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
The prices are nearly the same as Alberta where there's a private liquor store on every second corner.

It's a cash cow for the province, but if you prefer to see the profits go to the Weston family or Empire Company, then have at it.

Age restricted products, like alcohol, marijuana and gambling are usually regulated or 'influenced' by government. Even in Quebec, the SAQ is prominent. I personally don't have an issue with that.
The government still makes the profits with its giant wholesale mark-ups and taxes. SLGA made little on actual retail operation.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:09 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
Why not nationalize all the Tim Hortons and Walmarts as well? Would be a huge boon for the province!
Why not privatize absolutely everything including prisons, healthcare, the military, the courts, government itself, etc? Why even bother with government at all? Who needs any form of regulation anyway?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The government still makes the profits with its giant wholesale mark-ups and taxes. SLGA made little on actual retail operation.
I think of his argument was that they also pay living wages to their staff, as opposed to the minimum wage at private locations.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I think of his argument was that they also pay living wages to their staff, as opposed to the minimum wage at private locations.
That isn't a valid reason for government to run anything and I am as left as they get. All industries should be paying living wages, not just this specific one.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Not in the post I quoted. Also I do not believe these private stores pay minimum wage to most of their workers. They tend to be older and well-informed. Not that that is a valid argument anyway.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Why not privatize absolutely everything including prisons, healthcare, the military, the courts, government itself, etc? Why even bother with government at all? Who needs any form of regulation anyway?
I am all for government regulation of controlled substances, and I repeatedly stand up and advocate for the SLGA's role as a regulator.

That is a lot different from retailing. Why not govt cigarette stores?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
You bring up Tims and Walmart. My point is, if the price is the same between Walmart and a local company, I'd take the local one any day because the profit stays here.

If liquor retailers were local owners, I might think differently. With the alternative to government stores being big out of province companies, I'll still shop at the LB. I don't see government selling liquor as a big problem I guess. They pay good wages to employees and profits are substantial.

To each his own though.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 2:11 AM

Quote:
If liquor retailers were local owners, I might think differently.
Well if that's your criteria there's lot of local ownership to go around. Urban Cellars is local. Metro has local partners. Most of the off-sales are local.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Well if that's your criteria there's lot of local ownership to go around. Urban Cellars is local. Metro has local partners. Most of the off-sales are local.
I use off-sales when necessary and haven't been to Urban Cellars yet.

I've said my piece and am comfortable with my choices. You are to. Like I said, to each his own.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 2:16 AM

With all the talk about SLGA stores, does anyone know what is being built behind the SLGA store on Dewdney Avenue? I believe the address is 4223 Dewdney.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:41 PM

Have there been any rumours as to what's going in the old Sears spot in the Cornwall yet?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Have there been any rumours as to what's going in the old Sears spot in the Cornwall yet?
I remember talk of Winners And Homesense and then not sure what else. Rumor also of expanded shoppers with larger grocery section. I would love Goodlife Fitness to take up some space as well.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I remember talk of Winners And Homesense and then not sure what else. Rumor also of expanded shoppers with larger grocery section. I would love Goodlife Fitness to take up some space as well.
I understand nothing is imminent.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:39 PM

I thought I'd heard Marshalls was taking the old Home Outfitters space between Michaels and London Drugs on VicEast/Prince of Wales, but there's been little to no activity in there for over a month. Has anyone heard anything about that space?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan