HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Don't know if this was posted before, but the building at 245-247 St George (https://cwatlantic.com/wp-content/up...erty-Flyer.pdf) and the adjacent parking lot were sold in December of last year. Windows were boarded up recently, so hopefully something's afoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I hope you're right pierre. That building has a lot of potential if renovated properly, especially being so close to Dolma.
this would be the 2nd, or 3rd exchange of the property, and attempt to renovate the inside. Hopefully this time it will be done.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 10:21 AM

A developer told me years ago the problem with that building is the residential units upstairs. He said that according to law, a percentage of the units must be accessible apartments. That means installing an elevator - a very expensive undertaking.
So he told me anyways.....

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 10:59 AM

I visited the building not so long ago and the major problem is that the last owner didn’t follow building code with wood staircase and stuff. So the city and the inspectors stopped the renovation. And now the owner wants to sell cause it will cost to much to change everything to respect the code and the seller told me theres some issues with the foundation of the building so the city might be looking to demolish it but I didn’t believed that part. Anyway the seller discouraged me from buying it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdesign View Post
I visited the building not so long ago and the major problem is that the last owner didn’t follow building code with wood staircase and stuff. So the city and the inspectors stopped the renovation. And now the owner wants to sell cause it will cost to much to change everything to respect the code and the seller told me theres some issues with the foundation of the building so the city might be looking to demolish it but I didn’t believed that part. Anyway the seller discouraged me from buying it.
Looking into it it seems to be an attempt at keeping the building while the government (City, and/or Province) is telling the owner(s) to sell. It's the same issues the City had when they seized the old Trailer park Behind the Mountain Road Petro Can. The owner, and her sons tried everything to stop the sale of that land from ever going through. (From what has been said)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 10:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Black & Blue Steak, Seafood & Lounge has just opened at 40 Weldon Street, in the former location of Mint Tapas Martini Lounge.

Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/blackandblu...location=group

Menu is posted on the FB page - seems high end and pricey..........

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Don't know if this was posted before, but the building at 245-247 St George (https://cwatlantic.com/wp-content/up...erty-Flyer.pdf) and the adjacent parking lot were sold in December of last year. Windows were boarded up recently, so hopefully something's afoot.
Dolma would be smart to buy this parcel of land.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Dolma would be smart to buy this parcel of land.
I do not believe they where the ones who purchased it. But the building was sold to keep the building, and renovate, and the parking is needed for the above apartments so Dolma could not purchase the property to use as parking if that is where you where going with that.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 11:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I do not believe they where the ones who purchased it. But the building was sold to keep the building, and renovate, and the parking is needed for the above apartments so Dolma could not purchase the property to use as parking if that is where you where going with that.
I don't imagine Budyser was suggesting sacrificing the building for parking. As an older brick building on St. George, this building would be a valuable component to a revitalized urban streetscape. I don't think anyone wants it torn down.

The owner of Dolma has already proven himself a champion of downtown revitalization. I think Budyser's suggestion was that perhaps he could renovate and repurpose the building and use it in such a way that it could enhance what he's already done for the neighbourhood with Dolma Foods.

The issue of possible foundation work being required for the building (intimated by hbdesign) is a major concern. This could make any potential renovation economically impossible.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 11:04 PM

I've become a big fan of Dolma. The roof top restaurant during summer hours is absolutely spectacular. Doesn't feel like your in Moncton.

The middle floor restaurant is probably one of Moncton's hidden jewels.

The main floor grocery, deli, market place is pretty cool, but I like to see more. Service is top notch.

Now I can't remember the name of the owner, but this guy knows how to run a business. I saw him on the top floor patio restaurant making sure everything was spot on, lighting, cleaning tables, pick up stuff on the floor, etc. I see him behind the deli counter serving clients. I see him at the cash register, I see him chit chatting with people, a real hands on owner servicing his clients. And, you'll now find Dolma brand food choices.

One thing I noticed, Dolma is getting busier every day. So what does than mean, the need for more floor space, need to expand. I think Dolma is currently lacking storage space, which is probably why there's a storage bin in the parking lot taking valuable parking spaces for customers.

"Dolma would be smart to buy this parcel of land." MonctonRad is reading my mind.

Dolma expansion into 245-247 St George building. Vision: A pedway crossing, give more room for parking between the buildings. A year round indoor food market expansion into the new location. Main floor retail of a variety of cultural goods. Increase storage space on the top floor. Forget the condo/apartment option in this building. I prefer to see a much bigger Dolma type of product expand into this space.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 7:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

BOOT WARS EPISODE 2 - Revenge of the Booters!!

Illegal parking fees soar in Moncton, despite booting limits
Car-booting company Parking Solutions gets around new city rules by hiring tow trucks
CBC News · Posted: Oct 25, 2018 2:53 PM AT | Last Updated: an hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...soar-1.4878049

Quote:
A car-booting company in Moncton has found a way around the city's new bylaw to regulate the industry.

Under the bylaw, the maximum fee someone can charge to remove a booting device is $45.

But the bylaw does not cover towing.

Now Parking Solutions Inc. is working with a towing company to remove cars that park in private spots and charging the owners hundreds of dollars to get them back.
So Parking Solutions is flipping a huge bird at city council by choosing to tow vehicles now (rather than booting them), and hold them hostage for $333.50 (cash), rather than the city mandated maximum of $45.

Such a fee is nothing less than usury, and what Parking Solutions is engaging in is nothing less than extortion. In addition, by demanding payment in cash, and refusing to offer their victims proper receipts, a reasonable person might wonder just how much of this extortionary income Parking Solutions is actually recording in their ledgers. As such, it would seem reasonable to assume Parking Solutions may be engaging in tax avoidance and fraud (perhaps they are not, but a reasonable person could assume this).

Extortion, tax avoidance and fraud. Not unreasonable accusations and assumptions that could be made by reasonable individuals.

A reasonable individual could assume criminal activity as a possibility. What is happening here is akin to racketeering. I am appalled that any downtown business would seek to engage these people to patrol their parking lots.

This whole rotten mess needs to be investigated by the RCMP, and by Revenue Canada..........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 26, 2018 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:01 PM

That is completely nuts! I would have called the police to fully authenticate the booter guy and the guy in the tow truck. They better have the lot owner's phone number and get them there and prove they are the owner of the lot. That has total fraud written all over it.

So what do they do, just sit there, car on the hook, wait 1-2 hours for the car owner to come out? How long do they wait and where do they impound the car? How do they leave a note behind to informed the car owner that the car was towed?

Again, call police, "my car was stolen".

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
BOOT WARS EPISODE 2 - Revenge of the Booters!!

Illegal parking fees soar in Moncton, despite booting limits
Car-booting company Parking Solutions gets around new city rules by hiring tow trucks
CBC News · Posted: Oct 25, 2018 2:53 PM AT | Last Updated: an hour ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...soar-1.4878049

So Parking Solutions is flipping a huge bird at city council by choosing to tow vehicles now (rather than booting them), and hold them hostage for $333.50 (cash), rather than the city mandated maximum of $45.

Such a fee is nothing less than usury, and what Parking Solutions is engaging in is nothing less than extortion. In addition, by demanding payment in cash, and refusing to offer their victims proper receipts, one wonders just how much of this extortionary income Parking Solutions is actually recording in their ledgers. As such, it would seem reasonable to assume Parking Solutions may be engaging in tax avoidance and fraud (perhaps they are not, but a reasonable person could assume this).

Extortion, tax avoidance and fraud. Not unreasonable accusations and assumptions that could be made by reasonable individuals.

Criminal activity certainly can not be excluded. This process is similar to what you see in racketeering. I am appalled that any downtown business would seek to engage these people to patrol their parking lots.

This whole rotten mess needs to be investigated by the RCMP, and by Revenue Canada..........
You are correct, the invoice shown in that article is showing an amount of HST but it doesn’t seem to have an HST # of the company issuing the invoice which is required by law.

Might not be the best solution, and not sure if it’s doable, but the city should consider passing a bylaw requiring all downtown private parking lot to be fenced with access gates. That would solve the problem once and for all.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 1:51 PM

Doubt the City would be willing to pay for the gates/access for every private lots out there.

The best they could do is regulate towing with indication of who to call if your car is not there.

Not sure how much it should be, but to give an example, if they tow your car during Winter Cleaning in Montreal, its around 200$ (and they just move like 1-2 streets nearby).

But what is making me scratch my head, is didnt lots owners have to put signs telling people that "This is a Private Lot, and you might get boot"?

I understand parking by mistakes, but with all the horror stories, i would have thought that people would double/triple check where they are parking.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
I understand parking by mistakes, but with all the horror stories, i would have thought that people would double/triple check where they are parking.
Let's put it this way.

I'm absolutely freaking paranoid about parking in a lot downtown. Unless it is crystal clear that the lot is a municipal one, I will not park in it. I am suspicious of all private lots, whether there is signage or not.

The net result of this is that I rarely go downtown, and when I do, it is only for a specific reason (appointment), or, perhaps in the summertime on the weekend to take a stroll on the riverfront.

I never window shop downtown during commercial hours (even in the evenings), because I assume the municipal lots are full, and I dislike on street parking. The downtown shops therefore miss out on my business.

I doubt that I am the only person like this.

AS for parking for Wildcats games, I have solved this dilemma by shelling out $250 for Wildcats sponsored season ticket holder parking on a nearby lot (safe from the booters).

NOTE - if there was a large, well lit and convenient parking structure close to Main Street, I would certainly use it, and would likely visit downtown more frequently, especially as it continues to grow and develop.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just noticed that the [Moncton] Downtown thread has just passed one million views!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 3:15 PM

I'm like you Rad, we went to Taj Mahal last weekend and parked on the strip of spots behind the market where I worried the entire meal. Reading that article, Im wondering if that's not exactly where this guy who was towed parked. It used to have meters but now only has a couple of meters for maybe 10 spots so I had no idea what the plan was since my spot had no meter.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 1:21 AM

How strange.
I go downtown quite often, park where it isn't someone's private property, eat my meal and drink my beer in complete peace of mind - and never have a problem.
Weird.
PS I said this would happen when they capped booting fees and voila.....

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 12:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
I'm like you Rad, we went to Taj Mahal last weekend and parked on the strip of spots behind the market where I worried the entire meal. Reading that article, Im wondering if that's not exactly where this guy who was towed parked. It used to have meters but now only has a couple of meters for maybe 10 spots so I had no idea what the plan was since my spot had no meter.
You may have dodged a bullet there Feneant, they read a letter on CBC Information Morning today from another booting (towing) victim, who I think parked in the lot in question.

She said she was informed by the booting company that there were some spots in the lot that were "OK", but that other spots were not. She had the misfortune of picking the wrong spot and had her car towed, costing her $333.50.

What the frig!!!. How are people supposed to know where to park if there is a patchwork quilt of "safe spots" and "not-so-safe spots" in the same lot!!!

I repeat - I REFUSE TO PARK IN ANY LOT DOWNTOWN UNLESS I AM ABSOLUTELY 100% SURE IT IS A MUNICIPAL LOT.

For the most part, I don't go downtown unless I have a damned good reason. The recent change in behavior by the booters just reinforces this rule as far as I'm concerned. Downtown businesses are losing out. DMCI had better get a handle on this obscene situation soon.............

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
How strange.
I go downtown quite often, park where it isn't someone's private property, eat my meal and drink my beer in complete peace of mind - and never have a problem.
Weird.
PS I said this would happen when they capped booting fees and voila.....
I'm with you, I don't overly understand how people find themselves in these situations. I've never had any thoughts of parking in what look to be private lots. I always easily find a spot using the on street parking a block or two away from my destination. This includes for events at the Avenir Centre.

The public garage, the paid lot across from pumphouse/behind city hall and the assumption lot are all there for me if for some reason I can't find a street spot nearby. These are all well located to keep my walk easily under 10 minutes no matter where I'm going.

I keep the same mentality in unfamiliar cities so this isn't just a matter of knowing Moncton well. If I go to Halifax, SJ or Fredericton I stick to on street parking that has a meter or paid garages.

They do need to find a way to shut these parking companies down from what they are doing though, its quite ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
You mean this one?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.08692.../data=!3m1!1e3

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like there has been a "towing warning" sign for some time. I see people sometimes park there for an hour or so at the Saturday market, but I'd not risk it, given this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.08699...7i13312!8i6656

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces