HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

To understand observation decks is to understand the mindset of tourists spending big bucks to visit this city. For some, this is the dream vacation. Rest assured, they will visit most of the decks. I'm positive the marketing will target tourists and what you will wind up seeing are both domestic and international visitors at these decks.

The cities biggest selling points are its street life, and aesthetics, and so, they will flock to this deck, likewise with 30 Hudson, the ESB, top of the rock, WTC, and so on.

And besides, the more observation decks, the better. Folks get to see the city from numerous angles.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:38 PM

While we may have new decks coming in One Vanderbilt and 30 Hudson Yards, I'd wager that no matter what, the Empire State Building remains the most popular, just because of its iconic status, which none of these buildings can match. Even if the newer buildings are taller, the Empire State Building is New York's symbol. It can't be beat in tourist's minds.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
To understand observation decks is to understand the mindset of tourists spending big bucks to visit this city. For some, this is the dream vacation. Rest assured, they will visit most of the decks. I'm positive the marketing will target tourists and what you will wind up seeing are both domestic and international visitors at these decks.

The cities biggest selling points are its street life, and aesthetics, and so, they will flock to this deck, likewise with 30 Hudson, the ESB, top of the rock, WTC, and so on.

And besides, the more observation decks, the better. Folks get to see the city from numerous angles.
Agreed 100%. My last trip to NYC I paid 200 bucks just to take my family to the top of WTC1. We go specifically for the observation decks. To date, ESB and WTC1 were the only ones I even knew existed.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 12:56 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
While we may have new decks coming in One Vanderbilt and 30 Hudson Yards, I'd wager that no matter what, the Empire State Building remains the most popular, just because of its iconic status, which none of these buildings can match. Even if the newer buildings are taller, the Empire State Building is New York's symbol. It can't be beat in tourist's minds.
True. The ESB will always be popular because quite frankly, its still a king. Its design and presence are bar to none. We have towers like Vanderbilt and Steinway rising, but let me ask ya... what building do most look at in awe? What building has that intimidating, NY feel to it? A grandiose, power symbol worthy of a king? That is the ESB. A testament to its legendary status and design. Vanderbilt and Stienway are nice, but they have nothing on the King.

Also one can tell of a buildings excellence when others attempt to copy or mimic certain features or even the design of it so that it kinda looks like it. A complement to the king via 1 Vanderbilt, which kinda looks quasi-ESB like. (well.. the ESB after a few shots of patrone given its crown)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Agreed 100%. My last trip to NYC I paid 200 bucks just to take my family to the top of WTC1. We go specifically for the observation decks. To date, ESB and WTC1 were the only ones I even knew existed.
You'll love Top of the Rock (aka Rockefeller Center). IMO, its better than the ESB. Outdoor views, without the massive crowds of the ESB. Personally one of my favorite decks.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
True. The ESB will always be popular because quite frankly, its still a king. Its design and presence are bar to none. We have towers like Vanderbilt and Steinway rising, but let me ask ya... what building do most look at in awe? What building has that intimidating, NY feel to it? A grandiose, power symbol worthy of a king? That is the ESB. A testament to its legendary status and design. Vanderbilt and Stienway are nice, but they have nothing on the King.

Also one can tell of a buildings excellence when others attempt to copy or mimic certain features or even the design of it so that it kinda looks like it. A complement to the king via 1 Vanderbilt, which kinda looks quasi-ESB like. (well.. the ESB after a few shots of patrone given its crown)
True. Whenever I'm in New York, it's always nice to get a look at the Empire State Building and get that sort of "I'm back in New York" feeling. New York may have a very distinctive vibe (although for me, every city does), but it's a feeling that I can't explain. And the Empire State Building has always anchored that feeling.

I've been to ESB thrice and Top of the Rock twice. On my first trip to New York, I was 13 and my parents took me up for a day trip. This was after 9/11 but before One World Trade Center really took off, so I got to see the skyline dominated by the Empire State Building. We went up that day. I'll never forget how quiet is was. But now I'm rambling. Point being, ESB also has nostalgia value. Perhaps some of you NY locals have similar experiences with the deck at ESB?

As for the decks I've been to, I've been to five. ESB, Top of the Rock, One Liberty Place in Philly, Willis Tower and John Hancock Center. I'd say the best was probably the John Hancock Center, actually, with Top of the Rock as a close second. ESB and Willis are classics, but the crowds can be unbearable. One Liberty Place isn't very popular, so if you want to be alone at an observation deck, you know where to go. I still haven't been inside 1WTC, meaning that Willis is the tallest one I've been to. Although I believe the deck of Willis is actually higher than 1WTC's. I look forward to One Vanderbilt's and Hudson Yard's, but I don't know when I'll get there. 1WTC is kind of a checklist item of mine. I'm just one cheap bastard. I found discounts for ESB and Top of the Rock, I saved so much money in Chicago with discounts it's not even funny. If anyone knows of any discount that gets to One World Observation Deck, please let me know.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 3:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
If anyone knows of any discount that gets to One World Observation Deck, please let me know.
Its more of a discount on numerous activities, but if you get the City Pass you can get a discount. Also on the ESB, Statue of Liberty, the major art museums, ect.. Does not apply to the deck on 1 WTC though, but you can get a discount visiting the 911 museum.

Its literally called "City Pass" and can be bought online prior to your trip.

The only discount I could think for 1 WTC is if your a family member of a victim. They offer discounts in that circumstance.

But given the price, its best to grab a drink from the bar, and spend like 2 hours there and soak up the views. If your willing to stay, the cost is not that bad given the views.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 7:26 PM

Guys. Lets make this simple.

More observation decks mean fewer people attending any individual one. That's good for us.

An observation deck 1000 feet above the ground is bound to give you good views, regardless of it's location on the island.

If the observation deck fails, then it will be converted to something else.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:17 PM

Even if the newer buildings are taller,
the Empire State Building is New York's symbol.
It can't be beat in tourist's minds. - Mr Saturn64

though it took some years to reach that status,
the old World Trade Center was the #1 tourist destination in NYC . .
eclipsing the Empire State, . . not only in height,
but in terms of tourist numbers & dollars . .

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:19 PM

probably not counting the Metropolitan museum . .
and Central Park , ,

Old Posted Nov 26, 2017, 5:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Guys. Lets make this simple.

More observation decks mean fewer people attending any individual one. That's good for us.

An observation deck 1000 feet above the ground is bound to give you good views, regardless of it's location on the island.

If the observation deck fails, then it will be converted to something else.

Yes, and these observation decks won't give identacle views. 30 Hudson won't give you the view of the Chrysler or Park Avenue you'll get here. The east river and the new waterfront towers won't appeal nearly as much. But likewise, 30 Hudson will have views that can't be matched here. Either way, we're all winners.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 12:43 PM
New Yorker for life

From the cam shot, they're up and at it early...

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/we...th-street.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 27, 2017 at 12:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 5:33 PM
Ω

That is one massive beam.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 6:36 PM

Already looking massive!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
That is one massive beam.
Sure is.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 10:07 PM

Great photos and great update NYguy. This one is a beaut.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
It's an exciting time. I'm watching this closely. We went from demolition, to excavation, to foundation work, to now seeing an actual building (it's not a skyscraper yet) in what seems like a short time.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

hughfb3

NYguy
It's an exciting time. I'm watching this closely. We went from demolition, to excavation, to foundation work, to now seeing an actual building (it's not a skyscraper yet) in what seems like a short time.
Seconded all around!

And a really timely update with those last two videos, too, as post 2176 revealed the first of some funky buildouts away from the existing building faces. I think these angled connectors are one of the most fascinating aspects of the entire project. There's going to be some really cool joinery coming into light over the next week or so. Awesome to know about that live video cam, too.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:57 AM

Quote:
True. Whenever I'm in New York, it's always nice to get a look at the Empire State Building and get that sort of "I'm back in New York" feeling. New York may have a very distinctive vibe (although for me, every city does), but it's a feeling that I can't explain. And the Empire State Building has always anchored that feeling.

I've been to ESB thrice and Top of the Rock twice. On my first trip to New York, I was 13 and my parents took me up for a day trip. This was after 9/11 but before One World Trade Center really took off, so I got to see the skyline dominated by the Empire State Building. We went up that day. I'll never forget how quiet is was. But now I'm rambling. Point being, ESB also has nostalgia value. Perhaps some of you NY locals have similar experiences with the deck at ESB?

As for the decks I've been to, I've been to five. ESB, Top of the Rock, One Liberty Place in Philly, Willis Tower and John Hancock Center. I'd say the best was probably the John Hancock Center, actually, with Top of the Rock as a close second. ESB and Willis are classics, but the crowds can be unbearable. One Liberty Place isn't very popular, so if you want to be alone at an observation deck, you know where to go. I still haven't been inside 1WTC, meaning that Willis is the tallest one I've been to. Although I believe the deck of Willis is actually higher than 1WTC's. I look forward to One Vanderbilt's and Hudson Yard's, but I don't know when I'll get there. 1WTC is kind of a checklist item of mine. I'm just one cheap bastard. I found discounts for ESB and Top of the Rock, I saved so much money in Chicago with discounts it's not even funny. If anyone knows of any discount that gets to One World Observation Deck, please let me know.
Don't know if you're familiar with Living Social. From time to time a discount for 1WTC shows up, about $10 off. Doesn't happen often enough though. Be careful because the discounts on Living Social do expire. It happened to me before I got the chance to use it.
I was fortunate to get a "summer" coupon from the website Untapped Cities. Used it this past June.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Cam shot from today...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive