HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 9:28 PM
waves

Hey we don't hate you. Just be cognizant that this forum has a long long history and there are some rules that are a little different from most online forums.

Also, when "fantasizing" it's imperative to be practical and to do your research. Some of your "proposals", particularly for the North Shore, are terrible and that is not because you have ill intentions, it's more so out of ignorance/lack of knowledge of North Van in general. I encourage you to go tour around North Van and get a sense for the place.

I hope you do continue to contribute. Take the criticism with a grain of salt, and learn from your mistakes.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
Thanks, but I'm a little sick feeling like I'm not welcome all the time.

Calling me a Lego and Runescape player is pretty insulting.

I'm probably going to blow off for a while before coming back.
I for one hope you come back and stick around. I think there is a value in discussing what could be and the trade-offs in making those decisions.

All of these take years to go from the point it first hits the radar where someone is thinking about it to the point where its funded and shoves are in the ground.

In 1985 this city had no Skytrain system. Today it has more track than any other city in Canada. Most of what we have today was a pipe dream in the 80s. However it was a valuable, pipe dream given the outcome.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 12:17 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Keep in mind the Only reason I'm still here is to finish this BS.

If you people hate me, than please help me.

Because I know you all hate me. So help me fuck off.
Ok, this is my last try. Nobody here hates you. You have annoyed a lot of us, but that is a relatively minor thing. We don't hate you, we don't even know who you are. REMEMBER, this is the internet, not a private club. There are good people, bad people, caring people, selfish self-centred people. Luckily, none of them are fully real, they are just internet 'stand-ins.'

"Please help you"? I have written an awful lot of words trying to do just that. And, I am trying again. I don't want you to do anything in particular. I certainly don't want you to "fuck off."

And, don't refer to your crazy ideas as BS. They are just fine in the fantasy realm. Many of them are interesting. And your map? Well, I love the quality of it and the intense craziness of the ideas/layouts. The convolutions are almost philosophical. If you do make it into a digitized version, don't lose this one - it records something significant about who you are. It is also fun and intriguing. Keep working on it. Do real research, get out and visit the places - and refine it to death.

The problems you have run into are simply a result of you flooding too many threads with too much un-reality and distractedly unrehearsed ideas that simply frustrated the ongoing discourse. This too is not the end of the world. Just learn from it. The solution is actually very simple. Recognize two separate categories: "fantasy" and "reality." And then just keep them in the proper places. Especially, keep the fantasy out of the real world discussions unless it makes a very pertinent point.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 12:42 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:

fredinno, you are most certainly welcome. That said, I am not going to treat you like a child. You need to listen and learn from what people are telling you. It's not enough to be welcome, you also need to welcome the nature of the site . . . and respect it. It is incorrect to join, make a few messes and mistakes, get negative feedback, continue as if you are ignoring the feedback, and then get upset and say everyone hates you and you are not welcome. That is simply wrong. You are welcome to participate, but not to participate improperly and disruptively. You need to figure things out and participate in the manner that generally governs our discussions. But, even if you can't figure that out, there is still a place for you here. You have your own thread. In it you can put anything that you could possibly want to. A number of forumers visit your thread and appreciate it. Just don't let it leak out into the more serious ones.

I will apologize for the runescape/lego thing. However, it was not an insult. It was a reference to activities more purely ruled by fantasy. It's not an insult because in my world I know some pretty smart 20+ year olds who take both of these very seriously . . . and both activities can be taken to quite sophisticated levels. To build Lego is certainly no insult when compared to getting excited about a tall building, or a fantasy transit map. So, stop with the feeling sorry/everyone hates me nonsense and stay on the forum and enjoy what you enjoy in its appropriate place.

My last words to you about this: I welcome your continued presence.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:49 PM

If this helps you at all this was my fantasy 2060 skytrain map from a few years ago:

I think I would change a few things about the downtown stations but I still like the regional inter-connectivity it provides the town centres.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
Hey we don't hate you. Just be cognizant that this forum has a long long history and there are some rules that are a little different from most online forums.

Also, when "fantasizing" it's imperative to be practical and to do your research. Some of your "proposals", particularly for the North Shore, are terrible and that is not because you have ill intentions, it's more so out of ignorance/lack of knowledge of North Van in general. I encourage you to go tour around North Van and get a sense for the place.

I hope you do continue to contribute. Take the criticism with a grain of salt, and learn from your mistakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Ok, this is my last try. Nobody here hates you. You have annoyed a lot of us, but that is a relatively minor thing. We don't hate you, we don't even know who you are. REMEMBER, this is the internet, not a private club. There are good people, bad people, caring people, selfish self-centred people. Luckily, none of them are fully real, they are just internet 'stand-ins.'

"Please help you"? I have written an awful lot of words trying to do just that. And, I am trying again. I don't want you to do anything in particular. I certainly don't want you to "fuck off."

And, don't refer to your crazy ideas as BS. They are just fine in the fantasy realm. Many of them are interesting. And your map? Well, I love the quality of it and the intense craziness of the ideas/layouts. The convolutions are almost philosophical. If you do make it into a digitized version, don't lose this one - it records something significant about who you are. It is also fun and intriguing. Keep working on it. Do real research, get out and visit the places - and refine it to death.

The problems you have run into are simply a result of you flooding too many threads with too much un-reality and distractedly unrehearsed ideas that simply frustrated the ongoing discourse. This too is not the end of the world. Just learn from it. The solution is actually very simple. Recognize two separate categories: "fantasy" and "reality." And then just keep them in the proper places. Especially, keep the fantasy out of the real world discussions unless it makes a very pertinent point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
fredinno, you are most certainly welcome. That said, I am not going to treat you like a child. You need to listen and learn from what people are telling you. It's not enough to be welcome, you also need to welcome the nature of the site . . . and respect it. It is incorrect to join, make a few messes and mistakes, get negative feedback, continue as if you are ignoring the feedback, and then get upset and say everyone hates you and you are not welcome. That is simply wrong. You are welcome to participate, but not to participate improperly and disruptively. You need to figure things out and participate in the manner that generally governs our discussions. But, even if you can't figure that out, there is still a place for you here. You have your own thread. In it you can put anything that you could possibly want to. A number of forumers visit your thread and appreciate it. Just don't let it leak out into the more serious ones.

I will apologize for the runescape/lego thing. However, it was not an insult. It was a reference to activities more purely ruled by fantasy. It's not an insult because in my world I know some pretty smart 20+ year olds who take both of these very seriously . . . and both activities can be taken to quite sophisticated levels. To build Lego is certainly no insult when compared to getting excited about a tall building, or a fantasy transit map. So, stop with the feeling sorry/everyone hates me nonsense and stay on the forum and enjoy what you enjoy in its appropriate place.

My last words to you about this: I welcome your continued presence.

OK, honest thing here.

Part of the reason I did that stuff was to try to refine this plan.

The Burrard Hwy was something in this proposal until the later versions, and I knew it was a meh idea- but this thread usually tend to get buried.

Honestly, this is probably the only place I've experienced where a new thread is considered bad. Otherwise, I would have posted these on those new threads.

I post because I believe in discussing ideas. Sometimes I went in and made an faroff idea related to a forum thread so to spice up discussion from being pretty much the same stuff over and over again.

Also, I don't really tend to get much help on these things on here- I'm not a transit expert. When I did ask about specific questions on this thing, I was usually ignored.

I'm not saying there was no help at all, I thank everyone who DID help, but...

I mean, I don't think I'm going to come back anytime soon. If I want nerdy talk about something, I honestly had way more fun over in the KSP forums bitching about the SLS and SpaceX than over here, and fantasizing about how we would send the bare minimum possible to sustain a human to Mars and back.

You may not know this, but I first started my account in 2012- I made some pretty stupid things back then regarding posting- being my first forum, and so I left after getting suspended.

I wanted to come back and give it another try, but it seems you people are happier without me around here. And I'm not going to waste time on something that's lost all fun for me.

I'm leaving. I have no obligation to stay here, and I hope you understand why.

Maybe I'll come back one last time in a few months once I digitize this project slowly over the next few months. But that's probably the last time I come back.

I have taken criticism. I wasn't supposed to make a new thread for every little thing, so I went into existing threads for it. I wasn't supposed to take things 'off topic', so I made new general threads for it. And then I got hate for that too.

I stopped making off-hand jokes to be funny.

That's why I feel like I'm being pushed around and hated. It seems that everything I do, something else comes that is wrong and must be culled.

I can take criticism. In fact, I appreciate it. That's why this thread is here. But I'm not going to be pushed around like a ball all the time. I have limits too.

Perhaps you people might want to take a bit my my criticism.

TL;DR: You may not hate me, but this isn't fun for me anymore after feeling like I am being personally attacked. Honestly, this lost its fun a while ago, I just took me this long to realize. So I'm logging off for the last time at Skyscraperforum.com.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 6:01 AM

Everyone that responded to this thread is being more than generous in explaining the various responses to his posts. There will be zero resolution of this issue, so I wouldn't bother worrying about it much.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 8:35 AM
perhaps . . .

Well fredinno, you missed the point again. You still don't understand what is worth saying to others and what you should keep to yourself. Why should anyone in this context want to hear about your emotional/personal woes. Good luck elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Hey don't worry about that. New, or relatively new people get attacked all the time for voicing their own opinions that go against what is considered "the norm " here, especially by some old timers who think they know better. Your burst of emotions can only send u to the brig. You got good points for discussion here, so stay , keep calm and discuss on.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 12:17 AM
See ya down under, mates

No one cares if you're new. People only care if you're dumb, and repeat the same old shit over and over.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 2:08 AM
retro_orange

Yeah, good luck proposing anything that would actually help us down the line or have a forward thinking ideology. If you don't act like it's 1985 and we have to build for the more and bigger cars of the 90's then you will definitely be ostracized and labeled an idiot for proposing such a thing.

Been there, several times.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
No one cares if you're new. People only care if you're dumb, and repeat the same old shit over and over.
Sadly true. He posted his version of where bus routes should be all over the region and I replied with a link to TransLink's transit maps so he could see where routes are now (it's usually a good idea to know what's there before starting on a redo). It was like I hadn't said anything.

Fresh ideas are a good thing but they have to be based in some kind of reality. He didn't seem to be interested in anyone's input if it clashed with his vision - too bad 'cause there was the potential to come up with something interesting.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Sadly true. He posted his version of where bus routes should be all over the region and I replied with a link to TransLink's transit maps so he could see where routes are now (it's usually a good idea to know what's there before starting on a redo). It was like I hadn't said anything.

Fresh ideas are a good thing but they have to be based in some kind of reality. He didn't seem to be interested in anyone's input if it clashed with his vision - too bad 'cause there was the potential to come up with something interesting.
Nevermind a stubborn/persistent person, this is a discussion thread after all, but when you call someone with names and tags, then it's a game changer. I think he was offended by that. Words like "dumb" are indeed offensive.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 5:11 PM

If your master plan included a rapid transit route between my house, my two workplaces, any locations my dispensary has, and my friends house in Ladner, I'd love it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 5:39 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
if your master plan included a rapid transit route between my house, my two workplaces, any locations my dispensary has, and my friends house in ladner, i'd love it.
amen.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure