HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:48 PM

Toys R Us officially shuttering all stores in the US, and I think a safe assumption would be that Canada is to follow.

I guess we may have a location for a downtown arena after all.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
Toys R Us officially shuttering all stores in the US, and I think a safe assumption would be that Canada is to follow.

Unfortunately location has never really been the biggest impediment. I really don't see how a project of this size will ever get funded in this city. I would love to be wrong.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 7:51 PM

Rather timely to this discussion is that at a committee of City Council this coming Monday, the findings of the SaskTel Centre/TCU Place Market Analysis will be presented.

There's no report attached to the agenda that can be reviewed right now unfortunately. But expect media coverage on this Monday.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Unfortunately location has never really been the biggest impediment. I really don't see how a project of this size will ever get funded in this city. I would love to be wrong.
Hey if they are willing to spend $280 million to replace an existing interchange and $600 million to move some rail lines, then I guess anything's possible. The taxpayers apparently have very deep pockets.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:45 PM

An election year coming up....maybe the new leader of the Sask Party will feel some pressure to cut Sask's largest city a similar deal to what Regina got for Mosaic Stadium??? And I am glad Mosaic was built...it is a fantastic venue and now we need another "provincial facility" that caters' to indoor events/sports. Aligned with an expanded Convention centre....I don't think this is so far fetched anymore.

Will be interesting to see what position the report takes on Monday.....

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
An election year coming up....maybe the new leader of the Sask Party will feel some pressure to cut Sask's largest city a similar deal to what Regina got for Mosaic Stadium??? And I am glad Mosaic was built...it is a fantastic venue and now we need another "provincial facility" that caters' to indoor events/sports. Aligned with an expanded Convention centre....I don't think this is so far fetched anymore.

Will be interesting to see what position the report takes on Monday.....
The next election is not until November 2020. The province has an unwritten policy that they will consider contributing up to 30% of the cost of stadiums and arenas. For big-ticket projects, this obviously is dependent on fiscal issues, so the finances would have to improve significantly before they would consider anything. For Mosaic Stadium province contributed $80 million of the approximately $300 million cost. I cannot see how this can work in Saskatoon as the riders put about $45 million of their own funds into the project as well as having their fans contribute $100 million through a $12 per ticket facility fee. Saskatoon has no tenant that can pay the $45 million nor does it have the ability to raise the facility fee from Blades and Rush ticket sales.

Even if Saskatoon decided to build a cheapo arena for $200 million, the most they could get from the province would be $60 million.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The next election is not until November 2020. The province has an unwritten policy that they will consider contributing up to 30% of the cost of stadiums and arenas. For big-ticket projects, this obviously is dependent on fiscal issues, so the finances would have to improve significantly before they would consider anything. For Mosaic Stadium province contributed $80 million of the approximately $300 million cost. I cannot see how this can work in Saskatoon as the riders put about $45 million of their own funds into the project as well as having their fans contribute $100 million through a $12 per ticket facility fee. Saskatoon has no tenant that can pay the $45 million nor does it have the ability to raise the facility fee from Blades and Rush ticket sales.

Even if Saskatoon decided to build a cheapo arena for $200 million, the most they could get from the province would be $60 million.
That's exactly the issue. Look at the whole debacle in Edmonton where there WAS a private party involved. We all know how long it took for that to play out. Same story in Calgary now. I don't see how it's possible when we don't have a private party involved who would be willing to put up tens of millions of their own money. Like I always say, I would LOVE to be wrong but I remain quite pessimistic about the feasibility of this within the next 15 years minimum.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:30 AM

I'd be okay renovating the Sasktel Centre if the price is right.

It's a concrete mausoleum, so it isn't falling apart by any means. It's just a fire safety hazard more than anything else. Not that any arena could handle a mass exit of panicked people, but at the Sasktel Centre?

Definitely not.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:00 PM

heres my debate:

id rather see an arena built downtown for alot of reasons, economic, lifestyle etc.. in that video i posted earlier few pages back about arena models, we dont have anything that flows into downtown after an event.

if were to renovate the sasktel centre, id like to see the transit and roads upgraded and some spending money put towards that at least. lets get the interchange built at Marquis and highway 16, incorporate better bus transit and establish a better network. Instead of having an event spill into downtown, why not build some restaurants, districts around the sasktel centre so it creates more of a community. That way its not a rush to get to wherever 1-2h later after the game, and where people can just walk out of the arena and go down some avenue or street around the arena and enjoy the energy that way. Say the Rush are in playoffs, arena is packed, outside the arena has some people, the restaurants and whatever else around there is packed.

just tossing ideas out there. We cant just fix the arena and do nothing else...

Last edited by mitchellk12; Mar 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
heres my debate:

id rather see an arena built downtown for alot of reasons, economic, lifestyle etc.. in that video i posted earlier few pages back about arena models, we dont have anything that flows into downtown after an event.

if were to renovate the sasktel centre, id like to see the transit and roads upgraded and some spending money put towards that at least. lets get the interchange built at Marquis and highway 16, incorporate better bus transit and establish a better network. Instead of having an event spill into downtown, why not build some restaurants, districts around the sasktel centre so it creates more of a community. That way its not a rush to get to wherever 1-2h later after the game, and where people can just walk out of the arena and go down some avenue or street around the arena and enjoy the energy that way. Say the Rush are in playoffs, arena is packed, outside the arena has some people, the restaurants and whatever else around there is packed.

just tossing ideas out there. We cant just fix the arena and do nothing else...

My hope is that the report to be given on Monday will essentially say that the economic benefits around having a DT arena outweigh the additional costs of building from the ground up; i.e. essentially what you are saying. This arena would completely transform our downtown and it would do so pretty quickly. If the arena were to go where Toys R U is now and to have that right next to River Landing... I can only drool.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:05 PM

Well if we do want to build this thing within the between 10 to 15 years from now hopefully the city moves quick on creating a savings/levy/funding plan in place. I think I'd like to pay a little now instead of getting hammered later after the fact.

Considering we want to do BRT, redesign the highway 11 circle drive cloverleaf, potentially help out with a ring road and help pay for rail line moving... honestly somethings gonna end up giving and the easiest single item for them to give up is the stadium followed by rail line relocation. But like Mitch K I want to see a stadium downtown for all the same reasons.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post

Canadian chain is still profitable, is likely to be acquired and stick around.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/toys...nada-1.4577484

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Well if we do want to build this thing within the between 10 to 15 years from now hopefully the city moves quick on creating a savings/levy/funding plan in place. I think I'd like to pay a little now instead of getting hammered later after the fact.

Considering we want to do BRT, redesign the highway 11 circle drive cloverleaf, potentially help out with a ring road and help pay for rail line moving... honestly somethings gonna end up giving and the easiest single item for them to give up is the stadium followed by rail line relocation. But like Mitch K I want to see a stadium downtown for all the same reasons.
Its always just a shock when the $$ comes out. i dont really hear anyone say much about the costs of the new art gallery anymore. This will be the same thing with the arena, the cost will cause people to be in an uproar, 2 years of bad traffic at times, then once its done downtown is a party. I dont even think traffic would be that bad after an event, especially if the current-future bars/restaurants are going to have alot of those people go there anyway. Parking would be spread out over downtown and the city park just like it is during the daytime. Edmontons stadium is like that, and its not going to be 60,000 people for us. 8th street/broadway are just down the road. It will be fine.

The last 2 years ive heard more about downtown, infilling, transit and big changes like this than the last 10 ive been here. I think the city is basically telling us these things are just going to happen either way.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:34 PM

Well, even if a future arena doesn't end up on the Toy's R Us site I have to to think it's only a matter of time before that location has something else on it. I used to think that Toys R Us was destined to find its way into Midtown but now i'm thinking it is probably best suited moving to one of the big box areas. Or maybe Toys R Us will go the way of Blockbuster and fade away completely.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
Well, even if a future arena doesn't end up on the Toy's R Us site I have to to think it's only a matter of time before that location has something else on it. I used to think that Toys R Us was destined to find its way into Midtown but now i'm thinking it is probably best suited moving to one of the big box areas. Or maybe Toys R Us will go the way of Blockbuster and fade away completely.
Regardless of the US toys r us closing or not..the canadian chain will be gone too. Its only a matter of time.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:49 PM

So what will the arena feasibility report say? Predictions here!

I bet they recommend a new arena based on the price of renovating the Sasktel Centre being high and not economy intelligent.

If they had renovated the Sasktel Centre more regularly throughout its 30 years, maybe the answer would be different. But aside from adding seats and boxes, they haven't done a ton.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:06 PM

My guess is that an arena downtown on it's own will not be recommended, BUT in conjunction with a revitalized convention centre, it will be recommended....at least I hope so.

What will be a very interesting discussion if a new arena/convention centre downtown is the recommendation....what the heck will be done with Sasktel Centre??

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
My guess is that an arena downtown on it's own will not be recommended, BUT in conjunction with a revitalized convention centre, it will be recommended....at least I hope so.

What will be a very interesting discussion if a new arena/convention centre downtown is the recommendation....what the heck will be done with Sasktel Centre??
ka-boom

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
ka-boom
Let it sit abandoned for a few thousand years and we will have a new tourist attraction, like the coliseum!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:31 PM

Prediction? My guess is that there will be a recommendation for further study. That keeps the politicians from having to make any tough decisions, as well as generating fees for a consulting firm.

Beyond further study, I'm predicting that there will be acknowledgement that the status quo is not acceptable, but there is also not funds available for a "wish list" project such as a new arena, so additional money should be allocated for ongoing upkeep and renovations to the existing facility.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan