HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I think many blocks on Hollywood blvd between highland and vine need to be revamped ASAP. all the tourists hang out around highland and down towards the vine section but in between its so seedy and tacky that something needs to happen. I'm all for preserving some of the buildings but some need to go....either that or change the stores that currently line this corridor.... A tourist trap gift shop seen in every other store, cheap liguor/dollar stores, clubs that kill all street life until late night, tattoo parlors that do the same and sex shop, wig stores or cheap alley shoe stores that need to go. Hollywood and highland area is already full of toursits, the city needs to figure out a way to stretch them out to fill the gap between there and vine. I think this project is the step in the right direction.
Unfortunately what is housed in these buildings are the Geisha House, Loteria, Lucky's Tavern (actually one of my favorite restaurants in the area, good for cheap beer and flat bread) a hair studio and I think a high-end sunglasses shop. Wouldn't be surprised to see these tenants back when the building opens up as they could probably afford the rent.

But again, as I said about the Sunset Blvd project in western Hollywood, there are so many other blocks that would be better for redevelopment. I don't see this improving Hollywood Blvd's cache all that much other than adding hotel rooms to that middle part of the boulevard. Would be nice to add some height to the street, especially in this area which is mostly 1-2 stories along the street.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 9:35 PM

The 10000 Santa Monica Blvd thread has been moved from the Proposal forum to the Highrise Construction forum.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 2:08 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Thanks, beat me to making the request...

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 5:33 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...nsons-may.html

Demolition on the old Beverly Hills Robinsons-May, from the Century Plaza towers.

Which was supposed to become this:

Last edited by blackcat23; Jul 21, 2014 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 6:09 PM
Heavy User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Which was supposed to become this:

Was or is?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 6:41 PM

Hard to say, since the land is currently for sale.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 8:20 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Columbia Square progress fresh off the iphone

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 9:27 PM

Frank gehry to design center for abused children in watts.

curbed LA

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:20 PM

There's not really anything new here

Expo Rail

Parking Structure No. 6

Westwood Mann Theatre, but it doesnt look like what it is on the renderings??? It looks like they added one more storey to the building.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...se_project.php

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 1:04 AM

Hi Everyone,

I've been following the forum for a really long time, and I wanted to have something special for my first post.

I made a little video that I think will ring true for most of us that visit this site, and it illustrates how L.A. is constantly developing and changing into something new and exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp0AkVasgS0

Thanks,
N. Fred

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 5:21 PM

LAX Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) moves ahead - construction will began in 2015. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...721-story.html

Here is the details from LAWA: http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/Ou...ed_Project.pdf

The approval of the construction consist of north wing of the MSC which will add 11 gates and require removal of the AA hanger, and underground utility tunnels. This will not be a new terminal, just (part of) a satellite concourse. An air side people mover connector to TBIT is planned but not part of this phase of construction so upon completion of the MSC north wing, passengers will be bussed from other terminals.

The bridge design in the original LAX Long Term plan was scrapped due to concern with the height of A380.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Fred View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've been following the forum for a really long time, and I wanted to have something special for my first post.

I made a little video that I think will ring true for most of us that visit this site, and it illustrates how L.A. is constantly developing and changing into something new and exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp0AkVasgS0

Thanks,
N. Fred
That was great...thanks for posting!

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:26 AM

Anyone know anything about the massive concrete structure under construction adjacent to the 134 near Forest Lawn Drive?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 8:35 AM

Underground water reservoir that will have a park on top

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 11:17 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Dream Hotel progress,looks like they are not digging down for this one.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Dream Hotel progress,looks like they are not digging down for this one.
If I recall correctly, the building will have 1.5 levels of parking, accessible from the alley at the back of the property.

A little ways east...

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...partments.html

Construction starting on a new apartment building on Sunset, adjacent to the Metropolitan Hollywood. Six stories, 79 units, designed by VTBS.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:23 PM

Kind of out in the boonies for most of us, but...

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...an-pedros.html

30-unit mixed-use planned on Gaffey Street in San Pedro. This stretch was recently included in Garcetti's Great Streets Initiative. Hopefully more will follow.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 6:35 PM

Blackcat, I'm constantly impressed at your range of coverage of LA's developments.

And seeing that six-story development on Sunset along with the other proposed buildings in the immediate area really puts me in awe on how much that part of Sunset is changing. It's great to see parking lots disappear.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:46 AM

Quote:
West Hollywood approves $86-million park renovation

The project -- which is being designed by architecture firms LPA Inc. and Rios Clementi Hale Studios -- includes plans for a new recreation center with two swimming pools (a lap pool and a recreational pool) on the roof. That new building will be next to a five-story parking structure that has three rooftop tennis courts.

Plans call for new adult fitness equipment to be added to West Hollywood Park, as well as a free-standing bathroom with two toilets, according to city documents.

A $3-million staircase will lead from the park’s ground level to a landscaped rooftop “respite deck” and an entrance to the new recreation center. City officials and designers say that putting amenities on the roof frees up the room to create open park space in the dense, 1.9-square mile city.

The project will include demolition of the park’s existing auditorium, pool facilities and other structures to create more open space. The structures set for demolition will not be torn down until the new facilities are built and operational, said Lisa Belsanti, a spokeswoman for the city.

Construction is expected to begin in June 2015 and to be completed by January 2018, according to city documents.

The new upgrades are the second phase of a major renovation of West Hollywood Park. The first phase included the building of a three-story library that opened in 2011, and the parking structure and tennis courts, as well as the creation of more green space.

The park will also include a new National AIDS Monument to recognize the lives lost to AIDS. The design for the monument, which is to be built and funded by a private nonprofit, has not yet been created, but it is expected to be near the entrance to the West Hollywood Library, according to city officials.
Read the rest on -> http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...728-story.html

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:52 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Excellent. RCH's design was my favorite among the three contending proposals. Great choice.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations