HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:05 AM

anything beyond 250m in this city is a dream come true

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:14 AM
Dérive-r

At current growth rates Metro Vancouver will hit the 2.5 million mark sometime between mid 2012-13. And I'm quite sure the City of Vancouver is over 600,000 by now.

Wikipedia says 578,000 in 2006 compared to Seattle's 602,000 in 2009. Adding three years of growth onto 578,00 should put the City of Vancouver several thousand above 600,000.

According to this link, as of 2006 the city of Vancouver accounted for 27% of Metro population and was absorbing 25% of its growth. Assuming the city still held 27% in 2009, it would be at 629,000 according to Statscan's latest released estimates (2,328,000). Those same estimates also state that Metro Vancouver added about 96,000 people from 2007-2009, meaning Vancouver should've absorbed 24,000 of that making for 602,000, but of course that doesn't include population growth from 2006-2007. Therefore the city of Vancouver should currently be larger than the city of Seattle, though just barely.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:42 AM

"world class" and financial importance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
^ Relevance?

This is a discussion about financial centres, not a ranking of "world class" cities by some university no one has ever heard of.
I appreciate what you mean, but "world class" isn't just about shopping, fashion, or big events.

The amount of financial clout that a given city has is factored into it as well.

I'm not saying I agree with the Loughborough study, but it did have some good points and is worth having a look at anyway.

I still find it difficult to believe that Vancouver made it into THIS study, and Los Angeles did not, apparently. Seems a bit incongruous.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
At current growth rates Metro Vancouver will hit the 2.5 million mark sometime between mid 2012-13. And I'm quite sure the City of Vancouver is over 600,000 by now.

Wikipedia says 578,000 in 2006 compared to Seattle's 602,000 in 2009. Adding three years of growth onto 578,00 should put the City of Vancouver several thousand above 600,000.

According to this link, as of 2006 the city of Vancouver accounted for 27% of Metro population and was absorbing 25% of its growth. Assuming the city still held 27% in 2009, it would be at 629,000 according to Statscan's latest released estimates (2,328,000). Those same estimates also state that Metro Vancouver added about 96,000 people from 2007-2009, meaning Vancouver should've absorbed 24,000 of that making for 602,000, but of course that doesn't include population growth from 2006-2007. Therefore the city of Vancouver should currently be larger than the city of Seattle, though just barely.
The actual incorporated "city," yes. The metro area, no. Metro Seattle is well over 3 million; larger now than Metro Montreal!!

Last edited by trofirhen; Mar 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 7:05 AM
Big City Enthusiast

LA is not known to be a financial centre. SF is way more of a financial centre than LA and so is Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 11:33 AM

.. a bit hard to believe nonetheless ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
LA is not known to be a financial centre. SF is way more of a financial centre than LA and so is Vancouver.
I've always though of Vancouver as a branch-office town. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just can't fathom it as a major financial centre, when the economy seems to centre on shipping, tourism, real estate, with no major head offices (that I know of) and no real corporate base.

If it is, in fact, a major finacial centre, then it is. But it doesn't feel like one.
San Francisco, YES!! Vancouver? hmmm.

And normally, a major financial cente has a REAL stock exchange. The VSE? LOL

Last edited by trofirhen; Mar 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
anything beyond 250m in this city is a dream come true
... great sentiment; wrong thread!!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 6:19 PM
I am the law!

Obviously there are more than 75 financial centres in the world but Vancouver did surprisely well among this select 75.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Obviously there are more than 75 financial centres in the world but Vancouver did surprisely well among this select 75.
think you can convince your fellow T-doters that our two cities working together would be better for both than trying to stomp each other out?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 6:33 PM
scared of rain

The other thing to remember is that Vancouver is home to a number of significant branch offices of multinational accounting firms. I think this is a legacy from when VSE was still here but I know that they provide services globally from these branches. Price Waterhouse Coopers, KPMG, Delouitte, BDO all offer specialized accounting services from Vancouver. I had a friend that worked at BDO and his main client was based in the Netherlands.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
The actual incorporated "city," yes. The metro area, no. Metro Seattle is well over 3 million; larger now than Metro Montreal!!
Not true. Just Googled it and metro Montreal is 3.8 million whereas metro Seattle is 3.34 million.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Doesn't Montreal have 3.8 million? I didn't think Seattle was that big

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 10:48 PM

Oops should have read vanmans post

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Trof, you're a bit mistaken on a few things Vancouver.

Van is definitely the 2nd biggest financial centre on the west coast. In fact, I think Van and SF are bigger than any centre west of Chicago. I didn't know it was the 2nd biggest in the country, though. This does, however, match Canada's goal for Vancouver to be the 2nd IFC in Canada. ...

Go Vancouver!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolmak View Post
Doesn't Montreal have 3.8 million? I didn't think Seattle was that big
It is close to it, surprisingly enough. What it doesn't have, of course, is Montreal's New Yorkish, sleek atmosphere and sophisticated fashion and nightlife. Not to the same degree, anyway.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Trof, you're a bit mistaken on a few things Vancouver.

Van is definitely the 2nd biggest financial centre on the west coast. In fact, I think Van and SF are bigger than any centre west of Chicago. I didn't know it was the 2nd biggest in the country, though. This does, however, match Canada's goal for Vancouver to be the 2nd IFC in Canada. ...

Go Vancouver!
What about Dallas and Houston? They're west of Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 1:27 PM

What about them? What major banks are found in Dallas or Houston?

You really are not getting the difference between a service economy and the financial sector. Sure there are a lot of office buildings and white collar jobs in these two cities, but they are mainly energy jobs in the case of Houston or in Dallas it is simply a well diversified economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTiger View Post
The other thing to remember is that Vancouver is home to a number of significant branch offices of multinational accounting firms. I think this is a legacy from when VSE was still here but I know that they provide services globally from these branches. Price Waterhouse Coopers, KPMG, Delouitte, BDO all offer specialized accounting services from Vancouver. I had a friend that worked at BDO and his main client was based in the Netherlands.
Well most cities are home to the so called big 4 (You're missing E&Y), and some of the legacy of the VSE might still remain, from what I understand much of the size of the acct firms in vancouver are due to the city's role in the global mining industry. According to a good friend who works as a CA with Deloitte says their Vancouver office is the office in charge of mining companies globally. I can only imagine that most of the other big 4 have similar operations in the city.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 3:29 PM
scared of rain

^^ Good point, though the VSE was largely used as a vehcle to raise capital for junior miners and resource companies (the legit promotions anyway).That's how we came to be a global mining centre.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 5:53 PM
Dérive-r

My dad worked as a partner at KPMG for a long time. His major clients, that I can recall, were hotel chains and high-tech firms (EA for example). I'm not so sure how international his work was in focus but I can recall one of his clients was a very wealthy Singapore-based man who was somehow involved the hotel industry...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 1:08 PM

... aha .... I thought so .......

I answered my own question in another post. (... excuse me for that, please).

So, Vancouver has no Stock Exchange now. Not surprising. But my rhetorical question is really, WHAT is our economic base here, and HOW do we ramp it up? Calgary has overtaken us in the number of head offices, due to its centre of the oil industry, but what does Vancouver potentially have that will give it some real economic punch? What industries could we xpand on? How could we diversify the economy? (I know the economy is more diversified than before, but for decades, it just relied on primary resource industry). Points to ponder.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy