130 North Franklin in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 8:09 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Then you'd just have more NIMBYs complaining that the new buildings are stealing their views, too much noise, traffic, crowding, etc; And voting in alderman to squash them.
Chicago has plenty of land, no need to force residential into the commercial core. If it comes so be it, but no need to ask for it when we know what comes with it.

Wait what?? First off, I don't think anyone (much less me) has the ability to force residential into the commercial core. There's also condos very close by behind 150 N Riverside so it's not like this area is (almost) a residential ghost town. Lastly, why would you ever say, no, no need to develop residential there, people are just going to complain about their views eventually, (even though that area is already built up so....) you're argument is an odd one.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 8:10 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Soooooo.....no new, official renderings from last night, yet?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:43 PM

^No new renderings. . . everything is as we've already seen. . .

. . .

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Then you'd just have more NIMBYs complaining that the new buildings are stealing their views, too much noise, traffic, crowding, etc; And voting in alderman to squash them.
Chicago has plenty of land, no need to force residential into the commercial core. If it comes so be it, but no need to ask for it when we know what comes with it.
That's why you do hotel instead.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 6:10 AM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Thanks for doing the legwork, Bvic. MAN, what a design! The high-quality glass; its concave, cantilevering, collective F-U to symmetry. Its dominance over the surrounding blocks.. This will undoubtedly become an instant icon.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 12:43 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
^No new renderings. . . everything is as we've already seen. . .

. . .

No, there were several new ones that I noted at the presentation (which BVic just posted).
Reilly mentioned that he will be posting on his site the full presentation by next week.....

And this, folks, is how Architecture is done.......

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 12:57 PM
BANNED

I think that long, vaulted strip of darker glass above the entrance might be new.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 1:23 PM

So to the Wanda haters, what makes this less "arbitrary" than Wanda? If anything it is more random, but hey, I ain't complaining, I actually prefer this design over Wanda, very handsome.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:04 PM

it's the 'more random' part that makes it work... an office building doesn't have to do much, right? just provide large, uninterrupted floors plates... by treating the envelope of this box as a sculptural element, creating distinction through relatively minor manipulation of the curtain wall, it creates a bit of delight without any/minimal negative impact on the program, structure, etc. and maybe a little added joy from within... very much like Aqua's balconies...

wanda isn't random at all... the 'arbitrary' doesn't necessarily come from the frustum itself (it's a very definitive, symmetrical form) but by its selection as a form maker to begin with... this results in a skyscraper whose form was not generated from within, i.e. function, program, context, etc., but forced upon it entirely from without...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:20 PM

oh, to clarify, I consider myself a 'Wanda very-disappointed-er' rather than a 'Wanda hater'...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:21 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Looks impressive, thanks as usual, BVic. The main lobby height is quite impressive to me.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:26 PM

I really love this tower but I don't think I love that stilted/airy base. I wish the glass kept going all the way to the ground, so it was a solid shard of uneven glass from head to toe.

That aside, it's a work of art and I'm happy to see a commercial building have a little guts.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 3:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I really love this tower but I don't think I love that stilted/airy base. I wish the glass kept going all the way to the ground, so it was a solid shard of uneven glass from head to toe.
good point. this design would be even more successful if they found a way to pull the "crystal shard" concept all the way down to the ground.

but like you said, it's still great to see an office tower take a design risk.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
it's the 'more random' part that makes it work... an office building doesn't have to do much, right? just provide large, uninterrupted floors plates... by treating the envelope of this box as a sculptural element, creating distinction through relatively minor manipulation of the curtain wall, it creates a bit of delight without any/minimal negative impact on the program, structure, etc. and maybe a little added joy from within... very much like Aqua's balconies...

wanda isn't random at all... the 'arbitrary' doesn't necessarily come from the frustum itself (it's a very definitive, symmetrical form) but by its selection as a form maker to begin with... this results in a skyscraper whose form was not generated from within, i.e. function, program, context, etc., but forced upon it entirely from without...
But that's literally the same logic for Wanda, Gang herself made no secret that a huge part of the design was trying to create more views (or "a bit of delight" as you put it) for the residents. She just started with a shape and decided to create a more geometric version of what K+S is doing here.

Both towers are sculptural and don't rely on form follows function, that's where architecture is at these days. I just see your response as "Wanda is too abstract, but not abstract enough".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
good point. this design would be even more successful if they found a way to pull the "crystal shard" concept all the way down to the ground.
Disagree, one of my favorite aspects of this design is the massive, open, airy, base. With the super white lobby, it makes it seem as if this tower is a crystal hovering above the ground suspended by some sort of magic glow. That's going to be absolutely stunning at night.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:05 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^You know, I was thinking the same exact thing - I really like the fact that there's a sizable opening at the base. If the design, sublime as it is, was extended all the way down, it would make the entire structure too monolithic and could have potentially dulled the overall design.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:25 PM

Could be true. I've also been going back and forth about whether the tree-lined plaza is better than hugging the street and filling out the whole block. I'm not really familiar with that part of downtown though, and I think the plaza trend is already pretty set in stone around there.

A monolith is good at certain locations, the Blue Cross building for instance, but maybe over there it would feel oppressive and out of context.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:40 PM

To be clear, all 190 parking spaces are in the low rise portion on the north with the green roof? Not bad as far as parking garages go. Even managed to line it up with the material change on the building to the west at Randolph/Wacker.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
But that's literally the same logic for Wanda, Gang herself made no secret that a huge part of the design was trying to create more views (or "a bit of delight" as you put it) for the residents. She just started with a shape and decided to create a more geometric version of what K+S is doing here.

Both towers are sculptural and don't rely on form follows function, that's where architecture is at these days. I just see your response as "Wanda is too abstract, but not abstract enough".
see my response in Wanda thread...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
No, there were several new ones that I noted at the presentation (which BVic just posted).
I'm not seeing any significant design changes. . .

OLD

NEW

. . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals