HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
If not then balconies are just useless, period.
Seriously? My balcony is probably my favorite part of my apartment. Its like an outdoor living room.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:14 PM

I do not think I could live in a highrise without a balcony. A couple steps to fresh air really makes you feel connected to the city (& environment).

At almost 100sqft, I can easily use a gas grill in the corner and still have some seating for the occasional cigar to watch the sunset with. Sometimes we even frat hard and play flip cup out there haha!

Some say you can only use for four months of the year... I disagree. If you want to use it more in the winter, you can either bundle up a bit or invest in some heat lamps. Moreover, if your HOA allows it, you might be able to store more 'summer' accessories on it (road bike, cornhole set, etc.)

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
We have a natural gas grill on our terrace and it's just an outdoor stove top really. BUT, cooking a steak outside is far better that stinking up the house by cooking it inside. We use the grill all year long for this reason alone. I wish my neighbors did the same...
Yes that is true. I often pan fry hamburgers with a cast iron pan using my gas grill burner outside to avoid smoke/smell and grease splatter inside.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 11:02 PM
Development Shill

Am I on charcolvsgasgrillpage.com?

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicago Swi Sox View Post
We called it the magic balcony.
And why's that ?

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 11:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Am I on charcolvsgasgrillpage.com?
More fun than debating stupid stuff like architecture and urbanism!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post

I can’t think of another reason for them. You can open a window for fresh air. And for the most part, if balconies are stacked one on top of another, you don’t get good sun on them. You need a proper terrace or roof deck for that.
That's the problem I have with most balconies. My small apartment in Toronto has a large balcony with a shitty north facing view, so I barely get any direct light in my unit. I would definitely cut my balcony in half to get more indoor space.

I will say I enjoy it from time to time on nice warm nights, and it's useful for potting herbs/plants.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:07 AM

I just like whether I use a balcony or not to have it there

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:05 PM

That is one nice tower!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:05 PM

I'm not sure where Koops got his inspiration for the diagram below, but I almost like it more than the current design:

(Props, as always, to Koodoo for his masterful recreations, but seriously, there's something about Koops' design that really calls to me. Maybe because it seems to borrow from the Death Star's architectural heritage, or at least it resembles a vertical Super Star Destroyer ... and that's somehow a good thing in my book. Yikes.)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:28 PM

Late to the party, but:

1. Comparing this design to many of the Chinese towers is insulting as the level of contextualism is far better here. There are details that reflect its surroundings far better than the monoliths in China that sit alone as a shining beacon for some developer's New CBD or whatever. Maybe you can argue they will be VE'ed but lets get disappointed when it happens. I'd say even the overall shape is unique to the Chinese examples or Korean examples shared. It has curves. It tapers, but the form is more interesting with the way the north and south sides interact with the east and west.

2. Its totally reasonable to compare it to maybe a few of the better Asian supertalls, but there is no need to be insulted. Where are supertalls being built over the past 15 years? China and Middle East. People disappointed are basically saying they are disappointed with modern supertalls. To claim that every non-US supertall is ugly or uninspired is kind of silly.

3. Calling it generic seems awfully stupid. We live in the real world not on the internet where we can click between images of a dozen cities at a moments notice. In the real world, in Chicago, in the US, there is nothing that looks anything like this. It will bring something new to the skyline while having details that reflect its neighbors. Even when people tried to find Asian comparisons, none are fit into such an iconic location. Part of whats unique here is that very rarely can you build a modern supertall adjacent to multiple icons high rises from previous eras along a protected view corridor out towards a beautiful lakefront. Most supertalls look dropped from the sky. This will be unique regardless of whether you think it will fit into its surrounding or overpower it.

4. I still really have a hard time understanding how someone can call something generic that is 1400' and the 2nd tallest building in Chicago. If someone built a 700' undetailed glass box it could be argued its a bit generic. A 1400' undetailed glass box that towers over its surroundings would be surreal and unique...not generic (not suggesting this is necessarily a good idea). Scale changes things. And I would love to check back in with people after this is built (if its built), standing in City Front Plaza or at the Wrigley building and see if you can still call it generic looking up at it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
I'm not sure where Koops got his inspiration for the diagram below, but I almost like it more than the current design:

(Props, as always, to Koodoo for his masterful recreations, but seriously, there's something about Koops' design that really calls to me. Maybe because it seems to borrow from the Death Star's architectural heritage, or at least it resembles a vertical Super Star Destroyer ... and that's somehow a good thing in my book. Yikes.)
That looks an awful lot like an extended version of the Sterling Bay/SOM proposal for the Union Station redevelopment.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 1:58 PM

No news or anything but I was going through some old photos. Imagine how cool this spot would be with the addition rising at the top of the staircase

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 3:52 PM

Damn, for a second there I thought there was going to be some good news. Haha. But sweet pic, and yes to that construction view.^.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:34 PM

Just noticed some scaffolding along Michigan Avenue.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:53 PM

I thought this project still has to be approved?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by we the people View Post
I thought this project still has to be approved?
Not the conversion of the tower.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 10:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Hope this is a speedy rise. Exciting times, especially when its a super tall that looks lavish. Its one thing with the height, but most importantly, aesthetically its beautiful. IMO at least.

In my view, better to have a crappy shorter tower, than a tall crappy tower. Height is one thing, but its nothing without substance to back it up. This on the other hand excels, so knock on wood, let's hope all goes well!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 8:17 AM

07/20/18

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals