HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
As I understand it back lanes are scheduled to be done before the area garbage day. As our garbage day is Friday I expect my lane to be plowed sometime today or overnight.

Sometimes though the contractor does come earlier than the day before.
As odd as this will sound, back lanes are actually a higher priority than residential streets, even when there is no back lane for that residential street.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Schreyer is a joke, just look at his city credit card fiasco, how and why anyone would have voted this turd in is astounding, if you wanted a real do nothing who takes his job about as seriously as a clown then he's your guy!
I meet the guy at my door that was running against Schreyer this year and he impressed me less so I didn't vote for him. I asked him a few questions on topics like Portage and Main and he came up with what I thought at the time were wishy washy answers.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I meet the guy at my door that was running against Schreyer this year and he impressed me less so I didn't vote for him. I asked him a few questions on topics like Portage and Main and he came up with what I thought at the time were wishy washy answers.
Just haven’t had a quality candidate and councillor in Elmwood since Thomas Steen!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 5:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Browaty was complaining on Twitter that they were doing TOO good of a job with the bike lanes.

What a dink.
Browaty was complaining that bike lanes were cleared before sidewalks in busy areas with high usage, he was right, why we kowtow to the hundred winter cycle commuters is asinine.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Browaty was complaining that bike lanes were cleared before sidewalks in busy areas with high usage, he was right, why we kowtow to the hundred winter cycle commuters is asinine.
...or we could just have an objective argument about how the city should improve sidewalk clearing. I don't bike in winter, but it's foolish to invest in bike infrastructure and then not clear it in a timely matter like roads and sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2019, 7:11 PM
Formerly rypinion

Aren't the bike lanes in question cleared by the Exchange BIZ?

https://winnipegsun.com/news/local-n...earing-efforts

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:22 PM

They sure are taking a long time to scrape some major arteries.
2 examples, the curbside lanes of Henderson and Higgins are so rutty i swear i'm gonna blow out my front end one day soon.

Surprising as they scrapped residential areas a couple days ago already.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:53 PM

Given how quickly Morden/Winkler is growing will there be a need to twin Hwy. 14 from Hwy 75 to Winkler in the next decade or so? I haven't been down that way in ages...in fact, I travel down hwy 3 the few times I have been to Morden or driven through it.

I also wonder about the traffic around the intersection of Hwy 14 and 75. Are there a lot of close calls or accidents involving traffic making a left turn off Hwy 75 to westbound Hwy 14?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:17 AM

^ It doesn't seem like a far-fetched idea... 14 is pretty busy, because in addition to Morden and Winkler, it connects a good number of other Pembina Valley communities. Twinning 14 from 75 to Winkler in the near term and installing an interchange at 75 and 14 over the longer term would make good sense too. An interchange isn't a burner of an issue (it isn't even a signalized intersection yet!) but eventually I'm sure it will get built.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:43 AM

If I was a Brandon resident and Winkler got an overpass before they got one for the Trans-Canada I'd be pissed! Keeping the humming economy going down in the Bible Belt is win-win for the whole provinde, though.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:44 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Uhh if we’re talking about a 4-lane Expressway intersecting another one, it should be a free-flowing interchange right from day 1 (that Highway 14 is being twinned from 75).

Also @Jeff I don’t quite get your comment. So where’s this Bible Belt that you’re talking about??

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:49 AM

^^^^ Manitoba's Bible Belt is Morden-Winkler-Altona-Steinbach

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Uhh if we’re talking about a 4-lane Expressway intersecting another one, it should be a free-flowing interchange right from day 1 (that Highway 14 is being twinned from 75).
Realistically, if 14 were twinned from Winkler to 75, I would think years would pass before an interchange would get built. I think the impetus for twinning 14 would be mostly local traffic as opposed to through Morden/Winkler-Winnipeg traffic that would necessitate an interchange.

I could be wrong, but this is just based on my observations of how this sort of thing has typically been done in Manitoba.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 1:27 PM

I'm sure there are numbers out there, but it feels like PTH 3 from Carman is busier than 14 from 75. It has a couple of passing lanes already. It would seem weird to twin a section of highway that wasn't a continuation from one end.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 1:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Eh that happens here and there. ON-40 around Sarnia is an example.

LoL, when I first saw suggestion to twin PTH 3, I was like, “Twinning it from Oak Bluff to Morden - Winkler? We’re talking about a complex freeflowing interchange between Perimeter Highway and Highway 3 in a partially built-up area in that case!”

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I'm sure there are numbers out there, but it feels like PTH 3 from Carman is busier than 14 from 75. It has a couple of passing lanes already. It would seem weird to twin a section of highway that wasn't a continuation from one end.
Looking at the numbers (link to PDF), 3 and 14 have comparable numbers... the busy 2-lane part of 14 is between Winkler and Plum Coulee, and 3 is busy from the city limits to Sanford. Once you get past that it drops off a bit.

I suppose that just twinning those relatively short stretches could make quite an impact on road safety...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 6:37 PM

Leafing through the 2019 capital budget.
https://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/file...et_Volume3.pdf

To note, the ring road study that was to be underway already is pushed to at least 2024. So don't expect anything to ever happen with our favourite expressways.

I feel like a lot of stuff is endlessly delayed. Keeps showing in the budget, but is always a couple years out.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
To note, the ring road study that was to be underway already is pushed to at least 2024.

[...]

I feel like a lot of stuff is endlessly delayed.
Pretty confident that the concept of the inner ring road (or road network) dates backs to the 1950s. It puts the false start on the 59/101 "upgrade" (about a 25 year delay) in perspective.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 12:58 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Leafing through the 2019 capital budget.
https://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/file...et_Volume3.pdf

To note, the ring road study that was to be underway already is pushed to at least 2024. So don't expect anything to ever happen with our favourite expressways.

I feel like a lot of stuff is endlessly delayed. Keeps showing in the budget, but is always a couple years out.
Called it when it was announced.

It's sort of like how environment Canada gives you the weather forecast in either the summer or the winter. In the summer and you're sweating buckets, they always forecast that by two or three days, it'll rain and cool things off. In the winter when you're experiencing -30 every night, the relief is forecast for a couple days away. Either way, within a couple days, you'll see that the forecast has changed and the relief has been pushed back a couple more days.

It's the exact same thing with Manitoba government spending on highways. If they say "We plan to build x by 20xx" you can rest assured that by the time you reach 20xx, it will have been pushed back to some later date. They've been doing this since the Perimeter was built and nothing has changed. When we get to whatever date they've set now, we'll be told that shovels will be in the ground ten years from that date. Repeat ad nauseum.

Look at rapid transit, for example. I heard them debating it for decades. Every few years they'd announce another study. Some people here would, rather surprisingly, laud the government for moving the matter forward but the truth was that it's just a stalling tactic. Nothing new with this.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Called it when it was announced.

It's sort of like how environment Canada gives you the weather forecast in either the summer or the winter. In the summer and you're sweating buckets, they always forecast that by two or three days, it'll rain and cool things off. In the winter when you're experiencing -30 every night, the relief is forecast for a couple days away. Either way, within a couple days, you'll see that the forecast has changed and the relief has been pushed back a couple more days.

It's the exact same thing with Manitoba government spending on highways. If they say "We plan to build x by 20xx" you can rest assured that by the time you reach 20xx, it will have been pushed back to some later date. They've been doing this since the Perimeter was built and nothing has changed. When we get to whatever date they've set now, we'll be told that shovels will be in the ground ten years from that date. Repeat ad nauseum.

Look at rapid transit, for example. I heard them debating it for decades. Every few years they'd announce another study. Some people here would, rather surprisingly, laud the government for moving the matter forward but the truth was that it's just a stalling tactic. Nothing new with this.
Or is it that politicians with foresight say "hey, we need to upgrade this piece of infrastructure but before we can do so, we need to study it to get cost estimates" and then the report comes back saying "guess what? That piece of infrastructure you promised is going to cost $X million dollars" and frugal Winnipegger's say "Wow, that's a lot of money and I don't want to pay higher taxes so lets not do it."

And then 4 years later a new set of politicians get voted in and say "hey we need to upgrade this piece of infrastructure but since things have changed so much over the last 4 years we need to update the study for an accurate cost estimate", then the costs come back and low-and-behold the new project will cost 2 times $X million dollars and frugal Winnipeggers will faint at this new cost and complain that it's higher than last time and so nothing will get done. Now repeat that ad nauseum.

You can't just do a study about road upgrades or rapid transit in 1985, abandon the plan, and then return to it in 2005 and say "I guess we'll just adjust all the cost estimates by inflation" and go with that. Winnipeg is changing rapidly, and so the demands and needs of the people change too. Winnipeggers are notoriously cheap and hate paying for public goods (that isn't filling potholes), so we get all sorts of delays and value-engineered public projects that half-ass everything because that's all we are willing to pay. Of course there are other issues besides our cheap preferences, but by and large I'd say that if enough people wanted a big project to get done because they saw the necessity of it (e.g. the Flood way), it could get done. But right now, Winnipeggers are convinced the only thing they need in their life are filled potholes. More efficient roadways and rapid transit aren't much of a priority when owning two cars is the dream and typical rush hour traffic only makes your commute downtown half an hour at most.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan