HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 12:51 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Nashville: In search of a nipple repair shop

Here's a quick set from Nashville, where I recently had to go for a couple of days. I was allowed to bring my partner along, and during the trip it transpired that his nipple rings were giving him just a dickens of a time. This necessitated a hunt for a tattoo and piercing parlor that might be able to help. We eventually did find one, and they were able to help, and things have been much better ever since.

Also, the hotel offered mechanized pancakes. You pushed a button and then got to watch the batter squirt out onto a conveyor belt before it went through a couple of permutations and shot out the other end of the machine as a delicious, perfectly browned pancake.

As for me, I stuck with the waffles.

Anyway, Nashville!

Video Link

The view from our hotel room. Note the Batman Building peeking coyly into view just to the right of center.

Some might call it tacky, but I personally find a full-scale replica of the Parthenon to be a pretty neat thing to have in your town. It houses a replica of the original statue of Athena that once graced the original Parthenon, painted gaudily -- and accurately. It's a misconception to picture the Parthenon marbles, or any ancient statuary, as colorless white marble. The ancient Greeks and Romans dolled up their statuary in riotous colors.

On another note, the Nashville Parthenon also houses a small art museum, as well as an historical exhibit about the exposition that gave the city both the Parthenon and the Centennial Park in which it sits.

My partner noted that this really should have also been printed in Greek.

Meanwhile in Centennial Park...

And elsewhere. Our hotel was near Vanderbilt University, so our time was spent exploring the area around the school, then downtown.

We briefly considered staying at this hotel located in what used to be the city's train station. Then we considered the many and various ways that the hotel nickel-and-dimes you, the way fancy hotels are wont to do. I do not wish to be charged for everything short of taking shallow breaths inside the room itself, and so we stayed elsewhere.

We went looking for this building, and I was delighted to find it. My Southern Baptist upbringing is something of an inside joke between God and me, and let me tell you now that God has the best sense of humor of any infallible deity I know.

I bet you can tell which pictures came from my partner's Apple phone and which ones came from my Android.

And that would be the last rays of sunset reflecting off the towers of downtown Nashville.

Until next time.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 1:00 AM

Love the commentary as always, but I'm not that much of a fan of Nashville. Looks economically healthy, though.

That Parthenon tho

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 8:17 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Love the commentary as always, but I'm not that much of a fan of Nashville. Looks economically healthy, though.

That Parthenon tho
What's wrong with The Parthenon? Personally, I think it's gorgeous. It'd be one thing if it was a cheap Las Vegas style cartoon recreation just built as a tourist trap, but this thing is a painstakingly recreated *exact* replica of the original down to the dimensions and some of the materials used that is over 100 years old in it's own right, and done with great respect to the original. I mean, if there was an exact replica of, say, the Pantheon in Rome that had been in the middle of Montreal for over 100 years would you roll your eyes at it?

Anyway, thanks for the pics! Glad you found a nip doc. lol

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 4:50 AM
Me?!?

Cool pics! Glad the nipple(s) is better now.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:52 PM
All man. Half nuts.

you had me at "nipple."

nice set, btw!

of pictures, I mean.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:55 PM

Spent a great 2 days in Nashville over Thanksgiving. Did a lot of walking around 12 South, The Gulch, Germantown and the Vanderbilt area. Nashville really is a remarkably beautiful, sophisticated place that we could see ourselves moving to after New York.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 2:48 PM

Nice pics! Thanks for the tour. I visited Nashville last May and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just before I left Nashville, I visited the Parthenon replica. I also think it's pretty cool to have that in your town. They seem to make it very difficult to locate the entrance to the inside of the building, though. No one who was there at the same time as me (on a very quiet Monday morning) seemed to be able to find it either. There were two doors that were locked and a sign requesting that visitors go to the main entrance... which I couldn't find.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Spent a great 2 days in Nashville over Thanksgiving. Did a lot of walking around 12 South, The Gulch, Germantown and the Vanderbilt area. Nashville really is a remarkably beautiful, sophisticated place that we could see ourselves moving to after New York.
I think I could easily move there too. It's a vibrant, fun city that's clearly on the rise.

For a music buff, Nashville is practically nirvana, and not just for country music! There are a lot of prominent rock acts whose tours stop at the Ryman. It's pretty awesome to be able to see bands that usually play larger venues perform there due to the prestige of that auditorium (and tickets are usually reasonably priced too).

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
What's wrong with The Parthenon? Personally, I think it's gorgeous. It'd be one thing if it was a cheap Las Vegas style cartoon recreation just built as a tourist trap, but this thing is a painstakingly recreated *exact* replica of the original down to the dimensions and some of the materials used that is over 100 years old in it's own right, and done with great respect to the original. I mean, if there was an exact replica of, say, the Pantheon in Rome that had been in the middle of Montreal for over 100 years would you roll your eyes at it?
Honestly? Yes, I would. I'd have the same opinion if I learned there's a painstakingly recreated full-scale Eiffel Tower in Paris, TX.

The waterfront (rowhouses that look NY-ish) looks pretty good though - I didn't pay enough attention originally to notice that.

I've passed in (near) Nashville a bunch of times, next time I'm around I'll definitely stop and see the downtown, it looks like it's nicer than I'd have guessed.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 1:53 AM

Nice pictures!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 3:04 AM
I am a typical

That parthenon is absurd. The giant golden drag queen inside is hilarious! Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 3:40 AM

I'm looking forward to going there in February.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2018, 7:02 AM

Nice pictures!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 1:04 AM

Nice tour! Thanks for the pics. I've been to Nashville twice and I enjoyed it. They have a great downtown area. The AT&T Building, or the "Batman" building, is one of my favorite skyscrapers. I just love it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:10 AM

Wow looking at these I wanna be a "nipple repairman". Great photos!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
That parthenon is absurd.
A smaller, not to scale model could be created at 409 Victoria East, the columns are already there

(Then put an Olive Garden in there - fits the Ancient Mediterranean theme)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:13 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
A smaller, not to scale model could be created at 409 Victoria East, the columns are already there

(Then put an Olive Garden in there - fits the Ancient Mediterranean theme)

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:09 PM
Beer Stampede

Nice pictures. I haven't been to Nashville since 96. I really need to get back out there sometime!!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:21 AM
Red October standing by

thanks for the pics. _that_ building always cracks me up. i'm like "oh, cool building..." until i read and roll my eyes a little.

-

-fflint

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos