HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I personally would prefer if Holt Renfrew stayed in the Sparks Street area. Maybe they could pimp out the old Zellers store and move in there.
I was thinking the same thing when I walked past their today. According to the Retail Insider blog their current space is 47,000 sq. ft. and the Zellers space is 46,000 sp. ft. They'd probably wanna get bigger and not smaller. It would be nice if they could also take over the two floors above the Zellers (currently an office I think) and have a four floor space.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 1:47 AM

I got a question about the Ottawa Trains Yards.

Is there any direct access (going across the tracks) from the Via Station, to the Train Yards

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 2:05 PM

That was the plan, but I haven't heard anything about since.

page 2 under "train yards"

http://rpca.files.wordpress.com/2009...4-sep-2011.pdf

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 2:16 PM

You can see the tunnel in these plans posted by blackjagger a while back.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 7:41 PM

Short Answer: No tunnel planned.

Long Answer:
The tunnel was/is in the plans for 425 Terminal Ave as noted. As far as I know, there is no planned construction for this particular project. Still just a concept.

The building going up is 395 Terminal Ave. (No tunnel). See link for details:

http://www.roneng.com/project_detail...0&t=0&f=1&pg=1

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 1:22 AM
Busy Beaver

I thought the tunnel already exists, connecting all the platforms. It seems you can even see the outline of the concrete top of the tunnel on google maps unless I'm mistaken and that is just a surface walkway.

However, I doubt it was designed for general public circulation, just for passenger access to the present/past/future platforms.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 11:43 AM

Kitchissippi,

You are correct in that the tunnel does exist. (I don't believe it is in use any more). But I don't have first hand knowledge of that, maybe someone else can enlighten us.

However, I was pointing out that the 425 Terminal Ave. Office Building is NOT the building under construction, rather it is 395 Terminal Ave. that is under construction and that the 395 Terminal Ave. does not connect to the tunnel. So we will not be seeing any pedestrian access in the near future.

I believe the thinking is that when (and if) 425 Terminal Ave. is built they would then connect to the tunnel. This would provide pedestrian access to the general public between the Train Station and Trainyards shopping complex. If you look at the plans for 425, it does leave with that impression.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 1:34 PM

The tunnel is still in use (or at least it was the last time I took a train), as it provides the only access to trains on all tracks other than the track closest to the station. They need it any time there is more than one train there.

It is a ticketed area, so I don't know how they would deal with general circulation. It doesn't seem wide enough to put the ticket takers at the escalators going up to the platforms, but maybe that would be the plan.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
Short Answer: No tunnel planned.

Long Answer:
The tunnel was/is in the plans for 425 Terminal Ave as noted. As far as I know, there is no planned construction for this particular project. Still just a concept.

The building going up is 395 Terminal Ave. (No tunnel). See link for details:

http://www.roneng.com/project_detail...0&t=0&f=1&pg=1
So the building with the tunnel is this fine piece of architecture (and I'm not beign sarcastic this time);

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
render

larger render here
http://www.canderel.com/sites/defaul...inter_2011.pdf

425 Terminal Avenue - VIA Rail Station
http://www.canderel.com/news-communi...e-rail-station
Ottawa, ON

425 Terminal Avenue is part of the VIA Rail Station lands. Canderel was selected as VIA Rail’s development partner in the development of VIA’s Ottawa Station Lands. A 9 storey 240,000 sq. ft. LEED silver building is currently planned for this particular site. The site can accommodate a building as small as 100,000 sq. ft. or as large as 500,000 sq. ft. Direct connection to the VIA Rail Station and the OC Transpo Station will be provided by a climate controlled tunnel.

The VIA Rail Station is a strategic location with many features. The site has easy access to the Queensway via Riverside Drive or St. Laurent Boulevard. An OC Station is located in front of the site providing strong public transportation connections. The City of Ottawa is in the final planning stages for the construction of a light rail public transit system that will link the VIA Rail station with the downtown core, There are numerous amenities in the surrounding area, including the VIA Rail Station itslef and the “Train Yards” retail centre which is located across the street.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
The tunnel is still in use (or at least it was the last time I took a train), as it provides the only access to trains on all tracks other than the track closest to the station. They need it any time there is more than one train there.

It is a ticketed area, so I don't know how they would deal with general circulation. It doesn't seem wide enough to put the ticket takers at the escalators going up to the platforms, but maybe that would be the plan.
I can confirm too, that it is still in use. That said, can anyone shed some light as to why VIA Rail insists on having ticketed areas at their big stations (ie. Ottawa & MTL)? What is the point? All it does is create lineups & bottlenecks in the station, like at airports before boarding a plane.

Why not use a system which is used around the world? Why not allow people to come and go freely to/from the train platforms, with or without tickets (as they check your tickets on the train later anyway)?

With such a system there would be:
-no more lineups and bottlenecks inside the station, as passengers (and even whoever is dropping them off or picking them up) can wait on the platform (people take the train to avoid the perils of airports, so why create such unnecessary perils at a train station!?!?);
-better use of the station platforms, which are covered from the elements and made for waiting, not just boarding/disembarking from trains;
-people can kiss and wave their significant others' goodbye from the platform as they board the train, or greet them on the platform as they arrive;
-people can help their families/friends with carrying luggage to/from the platform;
-faster train boarding;
-this would also transform this tunnel into a public passageway, available for public flow between the underused Train Transitway stop and the Trainywards shopping mall and offices.
-possibility to add retail inside the tunnel (ie. flower shops, newstands, shoe polish, etc (like they do in Europe)....

Again, why is VIA Rail acting like an airline? They are in the process, depriving people some of the advantages that train travel has over flying.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
I can confirm too, that it is still in use. That said, can anyone shed some light as to why VIA Rail insists on having ticketed areas at their big stations (ie. Ottawa & MTL)? What is the point? All it does is create lineups & bottlenecks in the station, like at airports before boarding a plane.

Why not use a system which is used around the world? Why not allow people to come and go freely to/from the train platforms, with or without tickets (as they check your tickets on the train later anyway)?

With such a system there would be:
-no more lineups and bottlenecks inside the station, as passengers (and even whoever is dropping them off or picking them up) can wait on the platform (people take the train to avoid the perils of airports, so why create such unnecessary perils at a train station!?!?);
-better use of the station platforms, which are covered from the elements and made for waiting, not just boarding/disembarking from trains;
-people can kiss and wave their significant others' goodbye from the platform as they board the train, or greet them on the platform as they arrive;
-people can help their families/friends with carrying luggage to/from the platform;
-faster train boarding;
-this would also transform this tunnel into a public passageway, available for public flow between the underused Train Transitway stop and the Trainywards shopping mall and offices.
-possibility to add retail inside the tunnel (ie. flower shops, newstands, shoe polish, etc (like they do in Europe)....

Again, why is VIA Rail acting like an airline? They are in the process, depriving people some of the advantages that train travel has over flying.
Well said.

I think that if money is so damn tight, the feds should just sell VIA rail to a private, non-airline party.

A private company would see the value in building a rail service to directly compete with the airlines by first implementing simple changes such as the ones you mentioned above and work on other customer service/satisfaction initiatives.

They might then follow this by implementing a Eurostar type system that could beat airlines in speed, comfort and price.

If we only look at Ottawa, most flights are domestic; this is a huge market to tap in too and take away from the airlines. And of course, it's the "greener choice" to travel by electrified rail as opposed to jet fueled planes.

Start with the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal triangle, and then stretch to Québec City and Windsor.

Down on the west coast, a Vancouver-Calgary-Edmonton line and then work to connect east and west.

It may sound expensive, but so was the original railway. And considering that most of the rights of way are already in place (but might need a straighter route at some points); it might not be too bad.

But of course, affordability would now be up to the private sector. I have no doubt that the Quebec City-Windsor corridor is absolutely warranted, but the west might be a little more questionable due to longer gaps between developed areas, lower population and density.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
How do you rotate google maps/3D !? And why would they have kept the "Eaton's" sign?
It is probably large enough that you would need some sort of crane to get it over the wall and down. This would entail at least partially closing the bridge on a Sunday or something. It is really not worth the bother for something that is not visible (aside from those pests at Google) and not causing any issues.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
It is probably large enough that you would need some sort of crane to get it over the wall and down. This would entail at least partially closing the bridge on a Sunday or something. It is really not worth the bother for something that is not visible (aside from those pests at Google) and not causing any issues.
That makes sens, but wouldn't they have closed the bridge to take down the letters and replace them with 'SEARS' in the first place?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Remaining Rideau Centre Sears space should be subdivided: analyst

The owners of the Rideau Centre would be best served by subdividing the highly sought-after retail space left behind by Sears Canada (TSX:SCC), according to one of the city's leading retail analysts.
Topics : Rideau Centre , Shore Tanner Associates , Walmart , Sweden , Ottawa , Toronto

Sweden’s H&M is one of the most popular names being bandied about to fill the 83,000 square feet remaining on the Rideau Centre’s bottom floor after American fashion retailer Nordstrom announced it would take over Sears’ top two levels. But Barry Nabatian, director of the market research division at Shore Tanner & Associates, says the mall should split the vacant space into five or six upscale stores each between 10,000 to 15,000 square feet in size.

“It would attract a wider diversity of shoppers,” he says, adding that Nordstrom likely signed an exclusivity clause stating no other large department stores can be below it.

The mall would also be well served by reserving space for cultural activities, such as a performance theatre, Mr Nabatian says.

The Rideau Centre is a prime example of how regional malls are having to become more high-end because they can’t compete with bargain stores such as Walmart, Target or Winners.

“They have got to become more upscale in order to attract higher income people and those who would like to be pampered,” Mr. Nabatian says. “With the Rideau Centre, everything is there: restaurants, coffee shops, and shopping becomes a pleasurable experience instead of a necessity.”

With regional mall vacancy rates sitting at 0.6 per cent in Ottawa, according to Cushman & Wakefield’s second quarterly results, the large vacant space is a boon to the local retail landscape.

A balanced vacancy rate is between five to eight per cent, Mr. Nabatian says.

Nordstrom will open its doors to Ottawa in spring of 2015 after Sears shuts down next month.

Partnering with Rideau Centre landlord Cadillac Fairview, Nordstrom will expand into four of the commercial real estate investor’s Canadian malls in Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver.
http://www.obj.ca/Local/Retail/2012-...d%3A-analyst/1

H&M needs to be on Rideau Street. Smaller high end stores or food court in the Sears space.

Although, looking at the old food court last week, it dosen't seem that bad. Small, but good enough to keep until the expansion. Put the new one on the top floor with access to the roof top terrace.

Last edited by J.OT13; Sep 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
http://www.obj.ca/Local/Retail/2012-...d%3A-analyst/1

H&M needs to be on Rideau Street. Smaller high end stores or food court.

Although, looking at the old food court last week, it dosen't seem that bad. Small, but good enough to keep until the expansion. Put the new one on the top floor with access to the roof top terrace.
Yes, I agree. A store like H&M needs to have street level access on Rideau Street. Similar to how Forever21 at Rideau Centre is configured. Perhaps Shoppers Drug Mart would be interested in taking over the first level of Sears. This would also open up the space currently occupied by Shoppers Drug Mart to redevelopment (and another store opening onto Rideau Street).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 7:52 PM

Those pedestrian overpasses on Rideau need a serious facelift (? replacement) as well. That section of Rideau is starting to look quite nice and the views to the West toward the Chateau are spectacular if it weren't for those fugly things!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Those pedestrian overpasses on Rideau need a serious facelift (? replacement) as well. That section of Rideau is starting to look quite nice and the views to the West toward the Chateau are spectacular if it weren't for those fugly things!
I vote for a facelift. The east skywalk actually functions as retail space and gets decent usage. The west skywalk punches a hole in the Bay's historic façade and it would be hard to fix with matching bricks and mortar.

They also provide a cool view of the street.

If they do eventually take them out, it would provide an opportunity for the site of the west bridge (over the food court) to become a two story retail space like Forever 21. The east skywalk, I think, we should just keep regardless since it provides a covered street level cross-walk, there is no possibility for good retail since it is just a regular mall entrance at street level and it reduces the area of blank 80s department store brown brick on the Bay side.

Anyway, as the City mentioned before, once the subway station is built and new underground pedestrian crossings open, we could consider taking out the skywalks.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 9:08 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Try removed altogether. The views looking west from William Street (possibly as far as Dalhousie or even King Edward) would be awesome, while the views looking east from Confederation Square would be equally neat. I do think for practical reasons this will have to wait for the LRT line to be built as everything can be connected underground at that time.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslath View Post
Yes, I agree. A store like H&M needs to have street level access on Rideau Street. Similar to how Forever21 at Rideau Centre is configured. Perhaps Shoppers Drug Mart would be interested in taking over the first level of Sears. This would also open up the space currently occupied by Shoppers Drug Mart to redevelopment (and another store opening onto Rideau Street).
H&M would be best in what is now the food court IMO (a couple of 2nd level stores would have to move to accomodate such most likely).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Try removed altogether. The views looking west from William Street (possibly as far as Dalhousie or even King Edward) would be awesome, while the views looking east from Confederation Square would be equally neat. I do think for practical reasons this will have to wait for the LRT line to be built as everything can be connected underground at that time.
Removed would be best, but it would mean no connection between The Bay and the Rideau Centre. Maybe if Rideau Street was closed to traffic, it would work. Otherwise, they are likely necessary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy