HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
What's going on here across from the bus terminal on Mission?

Prep area for the new TransBay Terminal.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
They are making the slick glass facade into an aluminum tin can all to save $17 million in a 1.6 billion project? Watch this thing turn into another watered down Moscone with no facade at all. I wonder how much light will be let through this compared to the glass. I must admit though, that aluminum design is pretty cool, so perhaps arguing this point is moot.
Wow, no really seems to read links or statements anymore. The architects also addressed the original glass skin, which was going to be about 60% opaque for energy-reduction purposes, and said the new design will allow the same amount of light.... Yeesh.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 1:17 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
About 3rd and clementina, the project did sit for a long time seemingly, but just last week that glass was only on the first floor. I think the glass curtain wall will go really fast now that I see your shots of it already on the third floor this week.
in lane 5, we have UOP Dental which has completed about 2 full laps since we last checked in...:

and over in lane 3, the Folsom building has progressed less than one full lap (but I didn't check the Clementina side):

the race is on!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 1:30 AM
heavy user of walkability

and since I can't get enough of it, here is the Whole Foods on Market again:

here's the Dolores side:

and across the street, the Architectonica on the corner of Buchanan:

oh I forgot - the fire station near 5th and Folsom has lost the last part of its shroud:

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
oh I forgot - the fire station near 5th and Folsom has lost the last part of its shroud:

The fire station looks good. I am sure the fire fighters will appreciate the 3 Bays for their equipment. At their old station on Howard, they only had 2 Bays. This required the front engine to pull out onto the street so the back engine could get out.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
the mint is amazing, what's not amazing is the chain link fencing surrounding it, so ugly. also ugly: the federal reserve building, just saying. the real problem in that area is the safeway complex, not the mint. we could fit 3k units on that site, not to mention a beautiful street-level retail wrap. one can dream...
Put me in the column of those who like the mint too. And I agree with the Safeway comment.

It will be interesting to see how the new Arquitectonica building at Market and Buchanan affects the Mint's presence. It's hard to tell from the renderings I've seen, but I'm pretty sure that the architect of the new building is referring to the Mint in the new building's design. This will pull the design of the Mint into the broader neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 4:38 PM
testify

small infill update from down the lower nob/polk:

pacific and polk is coming into the final stretch, looks like the residential entrance will be located on pacific street, with two large commercial spaces on the polk street frontage:

crane erection on the 1645 pacific site a few meters down the block toward van ness:

the smallish infill project (looks like rental) at 1435 pine between larkin and polk is now complete, with interior build-out nearing completion and two new grade-level commercial units extending the pine street retail wall. yessss...

finally, our friend at 1080 sutter at larkin has only a floor or two more before topping out:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 6:03 PM

^Thanks easy_as_pie, great updates on some lesser-known projects. I've been watching the 1435 Pine project for a good while, and while I quite like the look of the building, it's definitely one of those buildings that suffers incredibly from the stupid 50' height limit - not because it needs to be a lot higher (though I wouldn't mind a few more stories), but because it makes the commercial story look so squished. Even just adding a couple more feet to that bottom story would look so much better.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 11:55 PM
Build Baby Build

3/19 I'll let the sign speak for itself.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:24 PM

A round up of major projects (about 15 of them) waiting to break ground posted on curbed sf this morning

http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...eak_ground.php

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 5:49 PM
testify

^ a lot of those projets aren't "waiting to break ground", in some cases, they're years away.

socketsite has the scoop on a big new proposed development on post between franklin and van ness: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ower_paci.html

wowness, now we're talking. wish it had far less parking but mechanized stacking will cut down on the curb cutting, and there's a decent street level commercial base in here at any rate. i really hope redevelopment of that fuel service station is approved before anyone moves into these new van ness-facing units, that'd be an epic battle right there.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 7:58 PM

Was in Mid-Market today and walked by 8 Octavia... Happy to announce they've definitely broken ground and construction crews working on dirt moving, etc.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2013, 9:19 PM
Only Mostly Dead

viewguy - great insider scoop on the AAA building. Thanks for sharing that info.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 12:15 AM

Any word on 706 Mission? I know its fate was to be decided today...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 1:18 AM

Do you guys have a thread for the new Air Traffic Control Tower at SFO? I have pics.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahran View Post
Was in Mid-Market today and walked by 8 Octavia... Happy to announce they've definitely broken ground and construction crews working on dirt moving, etc.
this is excellent news. can't wait to watch this one go up.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 3:15 PM

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2013...l-new-building

706 Mission is getting closer to being totally approved. Still need approvals from historical preservation committee on the Aronson building.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist View Post
Still need approvals from historical preservation committee on the Aronson building.
When I hear "historical preservation committee", my NIMBY sense starts tingling. I hope I'm just being paranoid, and that they don't kill or downsize this project on account of the Aronson building being "overwhelmed" or the tower being "out of character" or some such crap.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 9:54 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I bet they are more concerned with the work being done on the Aronson itself. They were proposing quite a few changes (all good changes, IMO). Bigger in my mind is the final approval from the Planning Commission (this approval was just for the environmental study). From the article modernist provided:

Quote:
It also faces a final sign-off from the Planning Commission, which signaled Thursday that there is still work to be done on pedestrian and traffic issues in the area, among other issues.
Funny, traffic and pedestrian issues sound environmental to me, but I guess approving the study doesn't necessarily mean they are approving whatever issues may have been raised within the study.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 2:36 AM

101 Polk @ Hayes Street

I see that apparently soil cores are being done in preparation for the new highrise development at Polk & Hayes Streets yesterday & today. See 1977's post on 03/02/2013 for a picture of the building. What was once known as the Hayes Creek used to run through the area. The corner sidewalk has to be rebuilt ever few years because of susidence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations