HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
No link. Verbal announcement at a meeting.
Well February 6th ain’t that long away, I’m interested to see what will occur!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 10:48 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
7x daily A380 service to Seoul, called it! Joking aside, here are my thoughts about what 2018 has in store for AUS. Judging by Austin1971's comments, I agree with you, Jdawgboy, in that 2018 have a heck of a lot more news than 2017 did, and 2017 was fantastic. My guesses for what happens in 2018 are as follows, feel free to agree or disagree.

1. Delta airlines up gauges aircraft on existing routes as well as adding a few new routes, I’m thinking MCO and PDX. BOS is being up gauged from a A319 to A320 and then up to a 738. SEA has already been up gauged to a 738 as well. These can be found by searching for flights at:https://www.delta.com/

2. Delta airlines builds a hangar for line maintenance as stated previously by an a.netter at AUS, the post can be found here. Delta will have plenty of land and will likely receive a nice compensation from ABIA. There is a sizable gap in the Texas region between Delta maintenance stations.

3. The 9 gate expansion opens up early, late 2018. Originally set to open 2019 per ABIA , would be big news indeed if it opened this year. Once this opens, I feel a rush of news would follow.

4. If the extension does open this year, we could likely see the rumored Amex Connect flights to GDL and MTY, along with mainline to MEX.

5. The AMS flight comes to fruit, starting late 2018, praying that it will be operated by KLM and not Delta (who can resist the KLM livery). Service will be 3x weekly on an A332 aircraft seating 243

6. This is far fetched but I can dream, Korean Air 3x weekly to ICN, operated by an A332 seating 218

7. Air Canada begins daily YVR flights to AUS operated by a E175 seating 76. Judging by 2016 pax numbers from AUS to YVR found here, Air Canada will eventually connect YVR to AUS, hopefully happening 2018.

8. Norwegian promptly expand at AUS, I'm hoping that the LGW flight does well and Norwegian will expand to their other bases in Europe like BCN and CDG, operated 3x weekly by 788 aircraft.

9. Icelandair and/or WOW come to AUS, one or both of these carriers announce seasonal summer service to AUS operated 4x weekly by a 752 on Icelandair and a A321neo by WOW

10. ViaAir bases most of their aircraft at AUS, opens a matienance hangar to serve them, and adds many new routes. This could very well happen this year, ViaAir has stated that they want to be known as Austin's hometown airline and planes to base crews and maintenance at AUS.

These are my thoughts about what could happen in 2018, I know these ideas are far fetched and few will actually happen, but I find it nice to speculate about what is coming up as AUS continues to grow at a feverish pace.

WOW is probably not going to fly to AUS. They start service to DFW this May. As for Icelandair, I believe their B752 does not have the range to fly the route.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
WOW is probably not going to fly to AUS. They start service to DFW this May. As for Icelandair, I believe their B752 does not have the range to fly the route.
WOW was going to fly to Austin, as Austin1971 has said, but Norwegian beat them to it. With American, Icelandair, and WOW all starting service to Reykjavik I think it is a reasonable assumption that one might not make it. American won't give up so that leaves Icelandair and WOW to falter. I'm thinking that whoever falters will then move to AUS or IAH. The chance for service to Iceland in 2018 is there, albeit slim.

AUS-KEF is around 3921 miles. Icelandair 757's look to be using Rolls-Royce engines giving the 757's a maximum design range of 3,685nmi or 4240 miles. Theoretically, the flight is within the range of the 752.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That's a big plane. I can't recall if I've flown on one of those yet or not on my trans-Pacific flights...I don't pay as much attention to that as I perhaps should.
If you hopped LAX-NRT on Sing then maybe you were on a A380. Otherwise most trans pac would most likely a 747 or 777 or 787. Sing ran a direct A340 500 LAX Sing a while back but it's been discontinued.

You would probably know if you were on an A380 because the gates are way bigger and you'd see a massive staircase in the front and back of the plane.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigdeal View Post
Chamber of Commerce promoting a big Delta "announcement" at the Annual Meeting on Feb 6. The last big announcement at a Chamber meeting was Sen. Watson's Capital Express announcement back in October. The Gov quickly crushed that one.

Any guesses as to which of the things you guys have already talked about will be announced in February?
Really hope it's a decentralized expansion with a new terminal next to the south terminal. All of those buildings will be ready to go once the new maintenance complex is finished. There is a lot of land at the southeast portion of the property but there is a lot of work they would have to do to the land because of the flood plane.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 7:23 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
If you hopped LAX-NRT on Sing then maybe you were on a A380. Otherwise most trans pac would most likely a 747 or 777 or 787. Sing ran a direct A340 500 LAX Sing a while back but it's been discontinued.

You would probably know if you were on an A380 because the gates are way bigger and you'd see a massive staircase in the front and back of the plane.
Yeah, I've never done a trans-Pacific Sing flight...only flown them for shorter flights on this side of the world.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Really hope it's a decentralized expansion with a new terminal next to the south terminal. All of those buildings will be ready to go once the new maintenance complex is finished. There is a lot of land at the southeast portion of the property but there is a lot of work they would have to do to the land because of the flood plane.
Doubtful that it would be announced at the chamber of commerce as a “delta” announcement. Since the airport is city property they’d have to post the tenders publically for comment, blah blah blah.

It could include the results of the master planning meetings, but those would be recommendations that have to be approved by city council before anything can happen.

My guess is that half the announcement will be stuff we’re already talking about here: resumption of AUS-CVG, the sky club (which hasn’t officially been announced by the airport), the maintenance facility. Maybe a couple surprises, but they’d be DL surprises, not infrastructure related.

My $.02.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
Doubtful that it would be announced at the chamber of commerce as a “delta” announcement. Since the airport is city property they’d have to post the tenders publically for comment, blah blah blah.

It could include the results of the master planning meetings, but those would be recommendations that have to be approved by city council before anything can happen.

My guess is that half the announcement will be stuff we’re already talking about here: resumption of AUS-CVG, the sky club (which hasn’t officially been announced by the airport), the maintenance facility. Maybe a couple surprises, but they’d be DL surprises, not infrastructure related.

My $.02.
My guess is that the sky club and CVG will be briefly discussed but the real talk will be new routes that have not been revealed by Delta or the airport. Delta has already revealed CVG and the Sky Club. I agree that this announcement is likely to have nothing to do with airport infrastructure and just talk about Delta.

Although, maybe there will be an announcement for how many gates Delta will grab and have in total. I see the rumored maintenance hangar being announced, what I hope is also announced is the TATL flight and that Delta has a lot in store for AUS. They want to make us a focus city and then hub, now that would be huge!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I posted in airliners to a response that I didn't think it simply had to do with the Skylounge. Why would that be a big announcement for something that we already know about and is already being advertised at the port? Now they could throw it in as a sidenote but I would have to think it's more significant. Maybe this has to do with Austin1971's heads up notice.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I posted in airliners to a response that I didn't think it simply had to do with the Skylounge. Why would that be a big announcement for something that we already know about and is already being advertised at the port? Now they could throw it in as a sidenote but I would have to think it's more significant. Maybe this has to do with Austin1971's heads up notice.
It’s only significant because the airport hasn’t announced the Skylounge on its website, nor the resumption of CVG, so they’re probably collecting a bunch of stuff and doing one big announcement, some of which we know and some we don’t.

Austin1971 hinted that’s what they were doing and why the airport hadn’t publicized that stuff yet online.

Makes sense, I mean, they put out press releases when they buy new trash cans.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 9:51 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

If I read it correctly...and what should be telling...is that this is a Chamber announcement with Delta. The Chamber does not make announcements unless said item/thing helps grow the local economy. Thus, this is going to be interesting.

I believe it may have something to do with a new major route and/or Austin becoming a focus city.

Wasn't the release of the new masterplan delayed? If so, maybe the delay was due to negotiations between the city and Delta?!?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
If I read it correctly...and what should be telling...is that this is a Chamber announcement with Delta. The Chamber does not make announcements unless said item/thing helps grow the local economy. Thus, this is going to be interesting.

I believe it may have something to do with a new major route and/or Austin becoming a focus city.

Wasn't the release of the new masterplan delayed? If so, maybe the delay was due to negotiations between the city and Delta?!?

I agree, the fact that the Chamber of Commerce is going to be making the announcement indicates something more than simply advertising about the Skylounge.

The airport website may not have anything about the skylounge yet but it's being advertised at the port with posters up by the delta gates.

Unless someone who may be in the know wants to leak a little more info, we will just have to wait until Feb.5th.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 6:48 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Unless someone who may be in the know wants to leak a little more info, we will just have to wait until Feb.5th.
We're looking at you, Austin 1971!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:00 PM

There's so much rumor chatter that I've lost track on what's been officially announced.

My guess is on the rumored Airbus (and likely CSeries) maintenance facility. It'll bring more Delta jobs to Austin and set the foundation for further growth.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:35 PM

Last I’d heard, the master plan had a strong community participation component — not just your standard town hall but lots of brainstorming sessions, etc. I’d be surprised if they announced it was somehow already completed .... but maybe they’re ready to kick off the process in earnest.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:

I agree, the fact that the Chamber of Commerce is going to be making the announcement indicates something more than simply advertising about the Skylounge.

The airport website may not have anything about the skylounge yet but it's being advertised at the port with posters up by the delta gates.

Right, my point is not that the Skylounge is the reason for the announcement, but that it’s being “saved” for some bigger announcement as one of several factors indicating DL’s increased presence and investment in Austin.

Focus city/MX would be my guess.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:36 PM

Theory on AUS Delta Station Future Growth

JDawgBoy512 posed a question to me on A.net regarding what my thoughts were regarding AUS's Delta station growth. I've worked at the AUS DL Station for 4 years and have some good DL friends that are decent information sources. Below is my response:

From what I’ve heen tracking here the last few years, I think delta has planted their flag in austin long term for a Focus City format. Stations like SJC, PDX and SEA are sister cities/connecting points to AUSs high tech economy, J Class demand, demographics, University complex, wealth, politics, and city styles. Ironically, the airport construction has not even closely kept up with emerging demand. So everything is delayed and AUS money is arguably being lost in a future revenue sense. (In late 2017, AUS was in the running with DEN for Amazons new HQ. Supposedly the lack of an expansive & fluid airport structure was a demerit that contributed to knocking AUS out of contention)

All 9 new gates are already accounted for and rumor is delta has the majority of those gates. I spoke with the BA station manager last week and When I asked about their request to the airport for a couple of the new gates, he told me they were told those gates are already accounted for. The theory is that delta has claimed them partly based on it being a first come first serve gate allocation from The City. Obviously the two gates with a double jet bridge (380 capable) will be shared amongst upcoming international carriers. The DL Sky Lounge will be on the second floor above several of the DL gates.

Below I’ve listed some anecdotes of why I think AUS Eventually does become
An AFP (Alternate Flying Program for flight crews) at a minimum and a Focus City at maximum.

***Delta’s lack of a true Southwest presence since the DFW hub was dissolved
***High end AUS J class regional pax opportunity partly illustrated thru BAs Profitable LHR feed and Condors FRA success
***Lack of a DL MX Warehouse Store anywhere close in the SW region. Current hubs for a mechanical equip transit to AUS go through MCO and JFK. That coupled with 40 new hire TechOps personnel coming likely before end of spring also points to a larger local footprint
***Seattle upgrades to twice daily in March with a commensurate upgauge in aircraft (mentioned on Deltas news webpage). I’m thinking A321 but can be 739 just as well. Currently 738
***RDU upgauges from RJ900 to 717 in Spring
***San Jose, Portland and Las Vegas are cities supposedly slated to come on board going into end of spring/summer season.
***In a two year span, there’s been a total transition of austin equip from M90s and regionals to nearly all airbus products with the new IFEs, larger bin space and updated lighting (i.e: Atl - Aus is all A321 now)
***Last fall, Delta switched the ramp to a true Delta ALA supervisor structure from DGS’s format around the same time that they got rid of the md90s and regional aircraft
***Several ACS folks have been recently promoted to red coats with 10-15 new personnel back filling empty and newly created ACS positions. This isn’t Including at least one new OSM (DL performance leader) that has transferred in since November. The additions don’t appear to be attrition moves based on retirements, transfers, etc.
***Regarding DL ramp changes, a DL pilot transiting thru last month told us that she heard that the ramp will be flipping from Delta Global Services (DGS) to a Delta Mainline Ramp, with current folks grandfathered in as DL RR new hires. We’ve heard this rumor long before last month. I’m thinking this change may occur at the time the Sky Lounge opens in 2019 if not sooner.
***The AUS team just won the Delta system wide station of the year (2017). This can’t hurt in cementing the idea to ‘Dad’ that a competent workforce is in place for dynamic growth of a new southwest footprint, if he so chooses that direction
Inside Baseball: 95% of the 70 ramp ready reserves are off duty full time professional firefighters. Mostly Austin Fire with some San Antonio Fire and Suburban Fire mixed in. This ramp workforce has been in place for 6 years. ***ABIA is doubling the capacity of the 7 bag carousels through 1-2 extra portals onto the main belt. This will help with current and future growth before going below grade construction for more in front of the main terminal, which will take some time to finish once started
***And finally there’s still the second phase of AUS’s Master Plan that involves 10-30 more gates extending from the main terminal south in two concourse fashion (around gate 6 and gate 14), allegedly starting after the new terminal extension is completed.

So ultimately, there’s lots of dynamic and moving parts in Delta’s AUS world. The next 12-18 months will be fascinating.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:45 PM

I think a decent theory for the 380 gates use is the surge in international pax for Formula 1, SXSW and even a bit of ACL. One roving complaint when F1 started was from some well heeled arabs who attend races world wide. It was specifically regarding having to connect through IAH or DFW instead of being able fly their widebodys directly into austin. Of course the ME3 airlines are the 380 big dogs and I think it's a rather shrewd move by the City to have that large size gate option in place for future F1 races at a minimum, and all 3 global festivals broadly speaking.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:56 PM

That was super informative, even though I only understood about 70% of it. You serious airport guys make me feel like a complete moron. Thanks for the info.

The comment on airport infrastructure not keeping up is interesting, since I think the general sense in Austin is that, although the airport is just keeping up with the growth in passengers, it's also way better at keeping up than any of the other city infrastructure we have.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieT View Post
I think a decent theory for the 380 gates use is the surge in international pax for Formula 1, SXSW and even a bit of ACL. One roving complaint when F1 started was from some well heeled arabs who attend races world wide. It was specifically regarding having to connect through IAH or DFW instead of being able fly their widebodys directly into austin. Of course the ME3 airlines are the 380 big dogs and I think it's a rather shrewd move by the City to have that large size gate option in place for future F1 races at a minimum, and all 3 global festivals broadly speaking.
This makes me giggle (sorry, I work a lot in Egypt, and the Gulf countries where the ME3 are based have a certain...reputation...there that this anecdote kind of perfectly illustrates).

EK flies heavies in for F1 cargo — would be cool to see one of the pax planes in as a charter!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin