HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 7:02 PM

Nationwide bringing 838 jobs to SA

This is awesome news for SA. Here in Columbus I haven't heard of Nationwide trying to expand its company at all, neither have I even heard of SA being in the running for new jobs from them. O well this will be an awesome shot to the job market and diversify our economy just a tad bit more. Much better than some new hotel announcement or something.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...obs_to_SA.html

By David Hendricks - Express-News

Columbus, Ohio-based Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. will create 838 jobs in San Antonio at a regional corporate campus to be developed in the city's Westover Hills area, Mayor Julián Castro announced today.

Gov. Rick Perry said in a release that the state will invest $2.5 million through the Texas Enterprise Fund (TEF) in Nationwide Mutual to expand corporate operations in San Antonio.

Nationwide is a large, diversified insurance and financial services organization with more than $135 billion in assets. The company provides a wide range of insurance and financial services.

The services include insurance for auto, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, life, farm and commercial. The company also provides administrative services, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions, long-term savings plans and health and productivity services.

The job-creation recruitment between Nationwide, the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation, the city and the county has been in the works for a long time, Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said Wednesday.

The San Antonio campus will not be a headquarters or a call center. “But it's big,” a source knowledgeable about the project said before Castro's announcement.

Westover Hills on the city's far West Side is home to several financial company back offices, including a Wachovia operations center now operated by Wells Fargo Bank, JPMorgan Chase Cardmember Services and the QVC Network.

Nationwide dates back more than 80 years, starting as a small mutual auto insurer owned by policyholders. Working with farm bureaus, the company grew by offering low auto insurance rates to Ohio farmers. After starting with the name The Ohio Farm Bureau Federation and later Farm Bureau Mutual, it took the Nationwide name in 1955.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
This is awesome news for SA. Here in Columbus I haven't heard of Nationwide trying to expand its company at all, neither have I even heard of SA being in the running for new jobs from them. O well this will be an awesome shot to the job market and diversify our economy just a tad bit more. Much better than some new hotel announcement or something.
Good news, but why Westover Hills? I guess Wender made them a sweet deal. I haven't been to that part of the city in ages. One day, when I feel like driving like hell through Hondo, or wonder what the hell is Alsatian about Castroville, maybe I'll look for it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 8:09 PM

Allstate Selects San Antonio for 600 New Jobs

And where Nationwide goes, AllState is close to follow...

Allstate Selects San Antonio for 600 New Jobs

Quote:
By: SAN ANTONIO, Feb. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ 11:20 AM ET

New Customer Information Center Marks $11 Million Investment in Texas

SAN ANTONIO, Feb. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Allstate Insurance Company is launching a massive recruiting effort in Texas following the announcement it will open an $11.6 million customer information center in San Antonio. The nation's second largest home and auto insurer says it will hire 600 people to help consumers around the country who call Allstate though the company's 1-800-Allstate sales and service line.

"San Antonio is a terrific community that offers an enthusiastic and energetic population from which Allstate can select the best and brightest to help deliver on our commitment to a superior customer experience," said Allstate Vice President of Direct Sales and Service Mark Pitchford. "This center, along with our two existing facilities in Woodridge, Illinois and Charlotte, North Carolina, work in partnership with Allstate's local agencies to take care of consumers how and when they want to be served."

The 75,000 square foot facility on San Antonio's northwest side is scheduled to be open in May. Allstate says its existing customer information centers have reached capacity – taking more than 9.4 million calls in 2009. Pitchford says these calls range from providing after hours customer service for the Allstate's local agencies to outbound customer calling. The new Texas center, he says, will improve customer service by easing call volumes and expanding Allstate's bilingual capabilities. All or most of those working in the facility will be fluent in both English and Spanish.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-83890877.html
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 8:12 PM
James

wow, thats nearly 1500 jobs... all on the NW side, but still very nice.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:34 AM

Traffic

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
wow, thats nearly 1500 jobs... all on the NW side, but still very nice.
I don't think anyone expected them to locate downtown. When was the last time ANY large employer moved in downtown? AT&T moved out in 2008, but that's about the only action I have seen.

Add Allstate to the list of companies that didn't choose our CBD (Tesoro, Whataburger, West, Nationwide, Valero, NuStar, Rackspace, Medtronics, USAA, CitiGroup, QVC, Kinetic Concepts, Clear Channel, the list goes on and on...)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:12 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I don't think anyone expected them to locate downtown. When was the last time ANY large employer moved in downtown? AT&T moved out in 2008, but that's about the only action I have seen.

Add Allstate to the list of companies that didn't choose our CBD (Tesoro, Whataburger, West, Nationwide, Valero, NuStar, Rackspace, Medtronics, USAA, CitiGroup, QVC, Kinetic Concepts, Clear Channel, the list goes on and on...)
Good point, lol

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
Traffic
Good, the more the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post

Call center jobs aren't exactly the kind that would be located in the CBD.
Nationwide hasn't officially named a new location, they will make a site selection soon, begin construction (or finish out) in May, and move in by 2012.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 8:56 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Good, the more the better.
I see what you're saying, the more traffic there is, the more alternative places people will want to live... ex. CBD

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio