HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:56 PM

I wonder what it would sell for. There would be a lot of enviro issues there no doubt and the bills for that would be large, which would drive down the price.

If it could be had for $50-$75 mil I wonder if there is a case to be made for public ownership? Energy security, price stability, etc?

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 6:32 PM

Careful Keith, that sounds awfully leftist.

go dogs go!

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
If it could be had for $50-$75 mil I wonder if there is a case to be made for public ownership? Energy security, price stability, etc?
You're missing the biggest factor in public ownership and funding in NS -- electoral prospects.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:47 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post

I walked by today for the first time in ages. Brace yourselves...

This is more unfriendly-looking than the vacant lot it replaced!

(Sorry for the bad camerawork, though there isn't much cut off really -- there really is no entrance on the Gottingen side. I'll try to get a more complete photo soon.)
It sucks, but saying its more unfriendly than that lot that has been there my whole life is stupid.

I mean, by that logic every house in the area is terrible. I don't just want to see empty lots disappear, but this repair to the urban fabric is better than it not happening.

Its ugly, but the Falkland development is probably worse due to the material choice.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 4:51 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I agree with you that fewer operating refineries contributes to a climbing price, but let's not exaggerate the possibility of fewer refineries affecting higher gas prices when much of this is due to a skyrocketing oil demand from developing nations becoming more broadly industrialised.

As well, since the majority of countries, aside from many in Europe (Germany) and Asia (China), have not adequately invested in green technologies, the demand (and price) for oil will not be curbed in the foreseeable future; therefore, neither will prices for most other things be curbed.

I haven't yet read anything about the Dartmouth refinery. I'm wondering about its profitability.
What? Oil prices are ultimately set by cartels and there are plenty of alternative fuels that aren't green by definition that impact the set price.

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 5:42 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
It sucks, but saying its more unfriendly than that lot that has been there my whole life is stupid.
I think a building has to be really, really bad to be worse than an empty lot. There are far more vibrant places packed with ugly buildings than there are ugly places full of empty, unused lots.

If we set the aesthetics aside, at least the lot will be used more efficiently in the future. Another advantage is that the supply of empty lots is going down, so there will be more pressure to better develop remaining sites. Lots of neighbourhoods go through a transition where they start with crappy developments that improve over time. The alternative strategy of waiting around for the perfect development to come for an empty lot on Gottingen is very unlikely to work out.

I don't know if it's still a go, but I'm still hoping Gottingen Terrace will start soon, and then maybe something will be done with the abandoned building next door. Then maybe we'll get the buildings for Diamonds and the Enviro Depot. If all those things happen Gottingen will at least be lined with buildings full of people. It'll probably become a much more viable spot to locate a business and it may become much safer. For the time being that's more important than building aesthetics in that part of town.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 3:23 PM

I posted this on my blog http://halifax.retales.ca/public-vs-private-burnside/

New Coroners Office

New RCMP

New Canadian Blood Services

standard private sector Burnside

Last edited by HalifaxRetales; May 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM.

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 7:12 PM
BANNED

^ Mess after mess.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm not sure what the timeline is but the development by St. Mary's Basilica around Spring Garden and Grafton is going to move forward at some point. Here are some slides that give an overview of the project: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31969192/Tow...SED%202MJS.pdf

I am pretty happy with what they plan to do, which is renovate the historic buildings and then build on the Grafton parking lot and a second empty lot in the middle of the block. A while ago it sounded like they might have been interested in tearing down the older brick buildings on Grafton but that no longer seems to be the plan.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:06 AM

Sounds great! Those brick buildings are definitely worth saving, and I'm looking forward to seeing that very prominent parking lot developed and rezoned for commercial use. It'd be good for the street to have some sort of storefront on that corner.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:41 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
I posted this on my blog http://halifax.retales.ca/public-vs-private-burnside/

standard private sector Burnside
Thanks for posting the pictures. Although the last picture doesn't seem very exciting for a skyscraper forum, it is a picture of industry and jobs. The Halifax area needs more of these buildings (anyone who has flown into the Toronto Airport will have seen many such buildings in the surrounding areas).

The one above is a good layout; it provides lots of room for truck loading bays between the two buildings. (I am assuming that there is a similar building on the right of the picture)

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:17 PM
BANNED

Reimagining downtown Halifax
Capital fails to capitalize

One report says the spiral arms of Halifax’s powerhouse economy reach all the way out to New Brunswick and P.E.I.

Meanwhile, a different study, also released last week, illustrates just how calm it is in the eye of this storm. Downtown Halifax is seriously underperforming, compared to other important urban centres in Canada.

So what’s going on here? The short answer is this: Halifax is surging despite itself. Imagine how well it could do for itself — and symbiotically for the entire regional economy — if its growth were properly managed and its potential creatively tapped.

Link: http://thechronicleherald.ca/editori...wntown-halifax

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 2:07 AM

Looks like the RCMP is closing their forensic lab in Halifax.

Wonder what this means for their new headquarters? Im sure a considerable amount of space would have been put aside for the lab. Let alone design work, special electrical, new equipment etc.

Not a real brilliant move if you ask me. Having a regional lab brings a lot of benefits to the justice system. Im sure the turn around time would be quicker with the Halifax lab vs. having to send items to Ottawa.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...s.html?cmp=rss

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 5:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm not sure if people have posted about this one yet but I found some renderings of a small renovation project for the building next to Bob and Lori's Food Emporium on Gottingen Street.

The architect's website is here: http://www.alecbrownarchitect.ca

Current building: http://goo.gl/maps/jODM

The description says that this project is in progress. Is it currently being built?

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm not sure if people have posted about this one yet but I found some renderings of a small renovation project for the building next to Bob and Lori's Food Emporium on Gottingen Street.

The architect's website is here: http://www.alecbrownarchitect.ca

Current building: http://goo.gl/maps/jODM

The description says that this project is in progress. Is it currently being built?
it is in process, it's a funny looking roofline in front. the front of the building looks a mess with it being half torn off and half built up, the renderings give me hope.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 7:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It is hard to judge these ones when they're being built.

I kind of like the idea of Gottingen as a place for unconventional renovations like this one. Maybe this building wouldn't fit on Barrington, but for this area it's interesting and it is a big improvement over what was there.

I am really impressed by the pace of development along Gottingen.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 10:43 AM

That is going to be the new Hub 2.0

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
That is going to be the new Hub 2.0
Hub 2.0 ?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:41 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Hub 2.0 ?
The Hub is a shared office/meeting space for creative professionals. They've got a second-floor space on Barrington: http://thehubhalifax.ca/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
The Hub is a shared office/meeting space for creative professionals. They've got a second-floor space on Barrington: http://thehubhalifax.ca/
thanks for that info, looks like a great addition to Gottingen Street. I have been watching the renos on this bulding and was worried that it might be a poor effort, and now the drawings and the Hub 2.0 info gives me optimism.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth