HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 8:42 PM

That is an excellent point. The speaker or writer in this case, represents a view that is influenced by their personal and collective history, color, etc... If only white males are writing, then that is the perspective we are reading. If a woman of color writes, undoubtedly, a different perspective is presented.

Although a valid question, I'm troubled when people ask whether or not a place is racist. Racism and bigotry of any sort has never been place specific. Yes, there are extreme examples of racism and bigotry based in particular cultures and regions - wars have been and are being fought because of it. However, my caution is that by associating racism with a place or a culture, we somehow avoid how racism is evident in every culture and region of the world and I would argue, in all of us. It is important for every culture and individual to deal with this and not feel exonerated by an idea that a place is or isn't considered racist.

Regarding Portland is it is obviously white - white, white, white. Whitest major city in the US - however not the whitest metropolitan area. African Americans in most cases, did not only leave the south because it was racist, they left for employment in the big industrial east coast and midwest centers. Trust me, there was plenty of racism in Chicago, Detroit and New York - although being large cities it was more covert. Read Richard Wright. The NW was isolated and manufacturing was limited.

The KKK was big in Oregon in the 1920's, although it was big everywhere in the US. In Oregon, there were few blacks due to the exclusion laws. Exclusion laws also existed in Illinois and other states. The US had a Chinese exclusion act until after WWII. Since there were no blacks, they went after Catholics and in fact, the state legislature just repealed an law banning religious wear in educational institutions that was instituted during the anti-catholic period.

African Americans moved here for work in the shipyards during WWII. After the war those that stayed faced racism and red-lining. Red lining, excluding blacks from certain neighborhoods was encouraged by the Federal policies. It wasn't limited to Portland. In fact, in very tolerant San Francisco, there were only 1000 blacks before WWII. Many moved into the Filmore having many available properties after the Japanese Americans were interned. The Filmore, in turn, was bulldozed for urban renewal in the 1960 forcing people from their homes or into costly and troubled projects.

Anyhow, sorry for the lengthy post, I could go on and on. It's an important subject. I've studied quite a bit about racism and particularly racism in Portland.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 1:45 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I've got to be honest... I'm not trying to be mean here but this is really a dumb thread.

Is racism still a problem in Portland? Yes. Racism is a problem just as sexism is a problem just as any form of discrimination or prejudice is a problem. It's a problem in Portland just as it is everywhere else, though hopefully to a lesser degree.

The question isn't whether racism is "a problem". The question is: Is racism more prevalent in Portland than in other cities? That's hard to answer because of the lack of diversity here. It's also hard to answer by someone not being discriminated against. We are far less likely to notice that which we don't experience.

I mean, really... A bunch of white people discussing whether racism is a problem is as silly as a bunch of people with excellent hearing discussing whether or not it's challenging to be deaf. I don't experience the challenges a deaf person encounters day in and day out, so I can't even pretend to know what it's really like. Similarly, as a white Joe Shmoe, I don't show up for a job interview and have the first thing the interviewer notices be my skin color. I don't meet the parents of a woman I date and have them discuss whether it's 'appropriate' for her to date someone 'like' me.

The vast majority of discrimination is subtle, but that makes it no less offensive or demeaning. But let's be honest here... we live in a society that discriminates and we do it in more ways than we realize. I had a friend recently tell me she won't date baristas. She thinks they're not on enough of a career path. One of her girlfriends chimed in that she won't date accountants. Another said she won't date men under 5'8" ("because you know how short men are" she said).

And I can't say I'm much better. I saw a woman walking downtown yesterday with a small dog in her purse. I assumed she was a Paris Hilton bimbo. But then I looked again and noticed the dog was actually nicely cradled in the purse with his head and front paws poking out of the top, and the dog looked as happy as could be. Based on appearance and stereotypes, I'd made all sorts of assumptions about the woman. Granted, it didn't help that she had on those stupid cliche oversized sunglasses... but see? I just did it again.

Here's a truth about human beings: we are exceptionally intelligent, but we balance our intelligence with an enormous amount of sheer stupidity. We have so many marvelous qualities thanks to the combination of our smarts and our hearts, but we undermine our potential through our fears, doubts, envy and greed.

Another truth about human beings: People like people similar to themselves. In fact, people choose the company of people similar to themselves. For better or worse, it's true. Not 100% of the time, but definitely far more often than not. And that's where discrimination comes from. Ever notice how many workplaces are filled with people who all kinda sort-of look the same? It's no coincidence that NW Portland is about as diverse as a bag of marshmallows.

I was at the Lucky Lab a few years ago with a group of around 20 to 30 people. Most of us had never met before. We were there to play cards. There were three or four games going, and people kept shifting from group to group between games (and between trips to the bar for more tasty brews). What are the odds that, by the end of the evening, all of the people originally from NY were seated together? There were a few people from the midwest too, and they also ended up sitting together. Is that any different than how Portland's hippies like to live near one another? Hipsters do it too. People enjoy the company of people similar to themselves - for better or for worse.

I'm not saying Portland is a racist city - especially not when compared to other cities (Hello Baltimore! How YOU doin'?) I'm just saying that racism definitely exists here, and it's a challenge to undo because so many of our neighborhoods are so white. When we choose people like ourselves, we also (even if only unintentionally) choose to push away people who aren't like ourselves. It's a self-perpetuating cycle.

I can say that Portland appears - to this pasty white guy at least - to be the least racist city I've lived in. And that's yet another reason why I'm proud to call Portland home.

Last edited by 2oh1; Mar 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I'm just saying that racism definitely exists here, and it's a challenge to undo because so many of our neighborhoods are so white. When we choose people like ourselves, we also (even if only unintentionally) choose to push away people who aren't like ourselves. It's a self-perpetuating cycle.
Very good point, but I would say more people that we are used to see than people that look like ourselves.

You were right about the title it was quite bad so I changed it to is segregation still a problem in Portland? because that's what wearyes me more
, many or posibly most of the people belonging to a minority live in a ghetto or sort of ghetto.

If at this moment when Portland is so flat in diversity is already quite segregated, how would Portland look in the future when it would be diverse?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 10:51 PM
Karma Police

I'm with 2oh1 on this one. Why is racism (or segregation) a Portland problem? It has absolutely nothing to do with the city. Racism happens everywhere. It's kinda like asking, "Is crime still a problem in Portland?" Well of course, it's a problem everywhere. What's your point?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I'm with 2oh1 on this one. Why is racism (or segregation) a Portland problem? It has absolutely nothing to do with the city. Racism happens everywhere. It's kinda like asking, "Is crime still a problem in Portland?" Well of course, it's a problem everywhere. What's your point?
yes its not just a portland problem but how it exists in portland is unique and i think thats what the author of this thread is getting at. the northwest has a unique history with race, as do other parts of the country, the difference is that that unique history is not well known, not even by portlanders, yet it very much has an impact on the city's fabric.

--is portland a more racist city than your avg american city?--i think most would say definitly not

--does portland have more segregation than your typical avg american city?--in my opinion yes but that may just have to do with the fact that there are fewer minority groups so they tend to form their own very small communities. its by no means a forced segregation but yes some of it might be remnants of forced segregation--portland did hold onto that longer than other west coast cities.

--are portlanders open minded and accepting?--definitely.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Let me get this right, the lack of minorities can be connected with Oregon's past racist history? Seems ironic considering those parts of the country with more diversity can directly tie that to the slave trade or slave labor.
Oregon's state constitution as ratified in 1859 made it a "whites only" state to avoid the conflicts being found in other parts of the country at that time. So, yes, the lack of minorities can directly be linked to Oregon's past racist history. Many southern cities actually incredibly high (compared to the national rate) of minority citizens. Many people didn't want to or could not afford to travel hundreds or thousands of miles, tear up all their ties, etc, just to relocate to areas that didn't want them after the civil war.

That said, having grown up in Buffalo and lived in San Diego I can safely say that Portland is about as racially tolerant as I can imagine. I was asked to leave a club in Buffalo because they don't welcome the Irish. That's the kind of racism I thought died 70 years ago, but it's alive and well out there.

In San Diego it's more of a distrust of blacks and hatred of Hispanics, but it's still fairly palpable. Portland's a paradise of tolerance compared to the northeast or southwest.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 1:59 PM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 1:00 AM

^That "anti-racist" group this article is talking about are Redskins; drunken, violent, teenagers, that like to get into trouble at night. (synnonim)

They use the pretext of racism to start fights against the Skinheads, because their not happy if they don't kick somebody's butt each time they hang out at night.

To me both are the same, they just have a different title.

One thing I will say about all this, Portland should have a tighter control on gun possetion, It's embarrassing to see people like this carrying guns.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2010, 1:17 AM

As sopdx said, Portland didn't have an influx of African Americans until WWII when they came to work in the Kaiser Shipyards. During the war the town of Vanport -where Delta Park now exists- housed a multi-racial population of workers from the shipyards. Vanport was destroyed by flooding in 1948 & 40,000 people had to find places to live. Most of the African Americans stayed in North & Northeast Portland. Portland's PBS station did a documentary on Portland's African American history about 10 years ago. Despite early posts about institutionaizedl racism, Portland's business leaders got together & decided to make a concerted effort to provide decent-paying jobs for African American workers. I remember their saying that the telephone company started hiring blacks, along with hospitals, the school board and other larger employers. I grew up in NE Portland & I never witnessed any overt racism. I think it's unfair to say Portland's racist simply because it has a small minority population.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 6:16 AM

Racism is a problem for Portland only for those who assume that most white people are racist. Portland has an overwhelmingly white majority, and many neighborhoods have nothing but white folks. I think some people look at a predominantly or all-white community and assume they are racist, which is a very blatant form of racism in itself.

Whenever I visit Portland I always have a moment or two where I think "Wow, look at all these white folks!", but I don't consider them to be racists.

I live in Orange County, for example, that has a much more racially and culturally diverse collection of residents than metro Portland does, so it's noticeable when you go to Portland and see tons of white people everywhere. You just don't get that in OC.

But that doesn't mean the residents of Portland are racist. They're just predominantly white.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 10:33 AM

Just be glad you don't live in Vancouver, BC, where I'm from. The weather is colder and wetter than yours, and we get sudden winter cold snaps howling out of the canyons and fjords that can cause it to drop from 45°F to 25°F in a matter of a few hours.

Also, you can grow different species of palm trees that we can't, and you also have warmer weather most of the year; earlier springs, hotter summers, and milder autumns.

I'd trade with you any day !!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 5:53 PM

Calgary Herald: Portland: weird but wonderful

Portland: weird but wonderful
By Michele Sponagle (July 20, 2011)

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...080/story.html

Quote:
There is a painted mural on 3rd Avenue that sums it up neatly: "Keep Portland Weird."

Oregon's biggest city is kind of weird, but in the best ways possible.

It sets trends so far ahead, they seem at first strange and out of place. But in hindsight, Portland might be seen as crazy like a fox.

Pretty good article.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2011, 9:34 PM

Greg Goodman interview

Can anyone unlock this DJC interview for us? Curious if there is any info in here about specific parking lots slated for buildings...

Greg Goodman, Portland developer (access required)
POSTED: Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 01:51 PM PT
BY: Lindsey O'Brien

Greg Goodman is president of City Center Parking, which manages hundreds of parking lots throughout Portland and in the downtown core. He also is a principal of Downtown Development Group, and says he’s focusing on smaller, character-driven projects because they make sense in Portland’s economy. He recently spoke with the DJC. DJC: What is your vision for ...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 12:45 AM

Greg Goodman, Portland Developer

DJC Oregon
http://djcoregon.com/news/2011/12/08...and-developer/
POSTED: Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 01:51 PM PT
BY: Lindsey O'Brien
Tags: Greg Goodman

Without copying the whole article here are a couple of interesting parts:

Quote:
Goodman: We have a half-block of dirt that is kitty-corner from the Twelve West building that we own, and we’re working on a major development that we hope happens in the next year or so. It would be another very significant building.
Quote:
DJC: Has anything changed in the way you look at your properties, or are you considering doing anything differently based on the economy in Portland?

Goodman: I’d like to build on every single-surface parking lot, but you need demand in order to pay for it.
No indication of anything in development for any of the parking lots that I can see from his comments.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 4:38 AM

kitty-corner from the Twelve West building

^ isn't that a dirt parking lot where the old Yet Chip Club used to be?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
kitty-corner from the Twelve West building

^ isn't that a dirt parking lot where the old Yet Chip Club used to be?
This is the project called '11-West', correct?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2011, 8:45 PM

I wonder what "major" means? That could be anything from 8 to 30 floors.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2011, 12:11 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Whatever major means, I'm for it! What a great location. And what a tragedy it would be for that lot to be left as is even one day longer than it absolutely has to be (let alone one year longer than it has to be).

P.S. Off topic, but... I thought the Twelve West project should have kept the name Twelve West for the apartment complex itself. That's a great name for apartments downtown.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 7:07 PM

Yes Portland is still very much racist but they don't even acknowledge they ignorance of such. Subtle racism is still racism regardless even when one unknowingly displays it through behavior. Keep Portland Weird is a subliminal of keeping Portland white...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 7:26 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues