HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 11:09 AM

Hooray. Another generic nondescript boring tower. And I have to see this everyday on my commute to school.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 8:00 PM
BANNED

embassy suites and the hilton as seen from the 5th floor stairwell at the House Of Blues

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 9:33 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Maybe in time the exterior walls with develop a "patina"(you know, stains) that makes the joints between the stucco panels stand out, and actually, to me, make it look a little better. My personal opinion here is that the big aesthetic flaw is how plain the sides are. In the rendering, it looked a little nicer almost like maybe it was supposed to be concrete blocks or stone. Also, the windows could have been a little more defined too.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 2:29 AM
Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I still think its better than it not being at all.
I second this!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 3:04 AM

The parking lot was better. At least then there was potential. This ugly isn't going anywhere for a long, long time. We're just stuck with it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 3:22 AM
Fourth and Main

Every city has one or sometimes three or four of these cheap EIFS clad hotels/condos on their skyline. This is a bad area for one of these. It's at the convention center, where visitors will see it. On the good side, it is infill, as others have said.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 6:07 AM
Everywhere all at once

I wonder if this is the sort of tower that could be vertically expanded (and extensively renovated? ) at some point in the future. Just because you know, maybe it doesn't always have to be a crapshoot.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 2:39 PM
Ex Houstonian

There havent been any photos of what this shit looks like from Discovery Green. Thats the view most people will see of it, somebody go down there and take some pics of the back side. I can probably safely say that this is the most terrible building SSP has ever seen, even worse than the Eleysian.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 3:38 PM

there are no words

smh

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 3:54 PM

It's not a great building, but DAMN. It's just a hotel. It's not meant to change the world aesthetically. So they can't charge as much as they could have withouth the park views.... BIG DEAL. It just encourages residents to get out of their room for a minute and enjoy the park and city on foot!

I don't like the building, but some of the protests on here are ridiculous. Just accept the fact that it's here, write letter to the company and move on!!!

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Oct 1, 2010, 11:05 PM

The view from Discovery Green isn't all that bad. The greenery distracts from the detail of the facade. It's good infill and a hopeful thought would be that the few remaining surface lots visible from Discovery Green will further take away any focus on the undesirableness of the hotel. All and all, I think we can live with it, but for trying to make this a new and refreshing part of downtown, I think the design failed at that. In terms of building up the area, sure more hotel uses are great, especially to get people outside into that intreguing park across the street.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2010, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
It's not a great building, but DAMN. It's just a hotel. It's not meant to change the world aesthetically. So they can't charge as much as they could have withouth the park views.... BIG DEAL. It just encourages residents to get out of their room for a minute and enjoy the park and city on foot!

I don't like the building, but some of the protests on here are ridiculous. Just accept the fact that it's here, write letter to the company and move on!!!
Exactly. At this point we can only hope this building improves our DT by adding more tourists and more money.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2010, 8:39 PM
BANNED

there's no words?

well...

it's more attractive than the Exxon building, or 1800 Main before it's new facade, or One and Two Allen Center, the Federal Courthouse, the old HL&P Building (I forget who is in there now), Houston House Apartments, the Chronicle Building, and the Post Office...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive