HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Mandarin Oriental Tower Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 15, 2005, 8:30 PM

They just put in a grocery store at Stetson and South Water which has brought a lot more foot traffic than before. The area has more foot traffic than most people think. But adding a hotel and more residential will increase that.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 5:21 PM

And btw, I doubt this area will be totally dead for all that long... Isn't the LSE planned community going up just to the east of this area? I'm sure adding several thousand residents into the mix will change things a bit.

. . . you mean adding to the already several thousand residents that already live there. . .

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 5:26 PM

It's too deterministic to think that "adding residents" will make anything happen in and of itself. A lot of Streeterville or the northern part of Gold Coast is as dense as anything, but hardly vibrant.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 5:34 PM

^My point exactly. . .

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 9:26 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago
^My point exactly. . .
^What adds to life isn't just people, but places to walk to.

More and more of that is being generated in these areas. That's why ground-level commercial space is so important.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 9:35 PM

^Agreed. . .

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago
And btw, I doubt this area will be totally dead for all that long... Isn't the LSE planned community going up just to the east of this area? I'm sure adding several thousand residents into the mix will change things a bit.

. . . you mean adding to the already several thousand residents that already live there. . .

No. I meant what I said. Adding several thousand residents to land which now sits fallow will be of significant use. At bare minimum, those newbies will have to walk through this area to get to Michigan Ave, and points west. Also, I'm of the impression that LSE will feature significant ground level storefronts... Surely that will help the whole neighborhood.

Obviously, we 're all saying the same thing, just focussing on different aspects of the broader issue.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 11:21 PM

[edited for off topic content]

Old Posted Jun 16, 2005, 11:24 PM

^? Chicago is widely recognized as one of the greenest cities in the country, actually the accolades should go to Cook County too. Check out more pictures of the city and you'll find the green you're looking for.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2005, 2:45 AM

so let me get this straight, the mandarin oriental isn't going in the riverview tower?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2005, 5:46 AM

^nope, 2 seperate towers (assumming you mean "waterview").

Old Posted Jun 20, 2005, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabcom
so let me get this straight, the mandarin oriental isn't going in the riverview tower?
You mean Waterview Tower?

Nope, this is yet another 90-story building

Go Chicago, Go!
"Architecture is the art of balancing values: economic, aesthetic, public, private. It always involves compromise, and few architects would deny that the client's desires take precedence. But the best architects understand that they also have an obligation to the public welfare, no matter who is paying their bills. That often means investing time in educating clients rather than simply acceding to their desires."

- Nicolai Ouroussoff, New York Times

Old Posted Jun 20, 2005, 11:11 PM

You know what's great about this tower... I did some walking around and it'll easily be the tallest in Illinois center north of 2 Pru, so it will be significantly visible from N/E/W vantage points.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2005, 3:10 AM
Administrator

^It will definitely be prominent from the obs deck at the Hancock. Oh, and probably from different viewpoints on the Navy Pier.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2005, 12:23 PM

I just spoke with John Lahey, who is Presigent of Solomon Cordwell Buenz. I was expecting to leave a voice mail, but hey, what can I say. At this time a rendering is not avaliable I was told that they are still in the early design phase, and it would be 1-2 months before something might be presentable.

He was unable to confirm if the height of the building was being measured from the bottom of the pit or from the upper levels of Lake and Stetson, which is where we want the measurements taken from.

He mentioned that the programming for the Mandarin Oriental was a bit different than what they expected, so some things are being worked on.

What I'll probably do is check back in with him at the end of August, and maybe something more will be available. Until then we need to be parient, (which I know is hard for some of you) and keep this thread active with questions and speculation.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2005, 12:59 PM

thanks for the update...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2005, 6:45 PM

Mandarin Oriental, Chicago (Opening 2008)

Mandarin Oriental, Chicago will occupy 15 floors of a new 90-storey tower which will be an exclusive mixed-use development in Chicago’s growing Millennium Park neighbourhood, and is ideally located for Chicago’s world-class cultural attractions, shopping, dining and entertainment facilities.

The hotel will be a showcase of innovative, contemporary design, combining a reflection of the Group’s oriental heritage with a strong sense of place. The 20,000 square-foot Spa will create an unprecedented relaxation experience within a vibrant urban setting.

In addition to the 250 spacious guestrooms and suites, the property will also feature 50 luxurious branded residences and a further 300 deluxe condominiums, as well as upscale retail shops.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2005, 7:12 PM

^So it looks like a mix between the never-built Park Boulevard Tower and the under-construction 340 on the Park. . . I'm looking forward to seeing a higher resolution image. . .

Old Posted Jun 28, 2005, 8:02 PM

Boooooo! Why are so many other cities around the world getting exciting, cutting edge architecture (think London, New York, Melbourne, Hong Kong, Miami, etc) while Chicago just gets hulking painted concrete structures or retreads of old designs? If that picture is the actual rendering, then this building will be no exception. Not impressed.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2005, 8:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ you're gonna make sweeping architectural judgements from a postage stamp size rendering that doesn't even show the whole building? man, you must have some wicked-ass clairvoyance powers. would you mind sharing the winning numbers for tommorow's lotto drawing?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive