HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 11:47 PM
Oak City

I'm got a big Dunwoody

Or as the address on the menu at the Chinese restaurant said, "Dungwoody."

The Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Medical Center, perimeter area of North Atlanta are not places typically high on the list of urbanists and skyscraper enthusiasts. Nevertheless, I was here for a conference so I though I'd might as well take some photos. Wanting downtown Atlanta? Go here.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 1:57 AM

Great photos. Its a big sprawly area but does three Marta stations and some potential to urbanize.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 3:09 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Well done.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 3:22 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

What is in Sandy Springs vs. Atlanta or unicorporated DeKalb County?

Isn't that the town that decided low taxes was such a priority that it basically eliminated all public services except law enforcement and is trying to force Fulton county to sell off its parks to development.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 5:53 AM

dunwoody always made me feel like downtown atlanta exploded and parts of it landed in the northern suburbs. i do think, however, the area is ripe for densification.

nice pics.....you caught three of my former workplaces @ ravinia, concourse and the terraces.

i dig this shot....reminds me of the movie speed:

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 8:35 AM

Despite its sprawling nature, it's one of the nicest (and largest) edge cities in the country.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 2:42 PM
Trendy.

Nice pictures. I could definitely live in Atlanta.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 3:01 PM
Resident Jackass

great thread. my sister in law lives here

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 8:28 PM
Oak City

I'm not really sure what the difference is between Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. I know in Dunwoody near the MARTA station there were sidewalks and bike lanes, and when you got to Sandy Springs - nothing.

There is a large field next to the station that looks like it would be perfect for some sort of mixed-use development. Maybe a mini Atlantic Station.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 8:37 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Interesting looking area. Reminds me of some of the satellite towns around DC. Thanks for the tour.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 8:42 PM
World Machine

Very nice; for some reason I have a big liking for these ‘corporate park’ themed satellite towns.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
I'm not really sure what the difference is between Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. I know in Dunwoody near the MARTA station there were sidewalks and bike lanes, and when you got to Sandy Springs - nothing.

There is a large field next to the station that looks like it would be perfect for some sort of mixed-use development. Maybe a mini Atlantic Station.
i believe the sidewalks and bikelanes can be attributed to the perimeter CID (community improvement district) whereby self-imposed taxes are applied to specific infrastructure improvements in the improvement area.....all of which were unincorporated portions of dekalb and fulton counties until recently. dunwoody only incorporated last year and the perimeter CID now resides entirely with dunwoody city limits. sandy springs (also recently incorporated) was never part of the perimeter CID.

the perimeter CID has been working toward a masterplan for at least 10 years. having worked in the area throughout the 90's, the improvements are significant and quite noticeable.

Last edited by atl2phx; Jan 1, 2010 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
i believe the sidewalks and bikelanes can be attributed to the perimeter CID (community improvement district) whereby self-imposed taxes are applied to specific infrastructure improvements in the improvement area.....all of which were unincorporated portions of dekalb and fulton counties until recently. dunwoody only incorporated last year and the perimeter CID now resides entirely with dunwoody city limits. sandy springs (also recently incorporated) was never part of the perimeter CID.

the perimeter CID has been working toward a masterplan for at least 10 years. having worked in the area throughout the 90's, the improvements are significant and quite noticeable.
The city of Sandy Springs was never a part of the CID, but the CID actually covers all of Perimeter Center, both the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody portions of it. The CID is an independent body from any municipality or county, and is a self-taxing entity, the closest thing to what's considered a Village or Township in most other states. The CID is legally two CIDs (one for the Fulton County portion and one for the DeKalb County portion) that function as one unit in all but the charter paper.

That's why I tend to call this edge city by its proper name: Perimeter Center. It happens to be in two cities and two counties, but the CID is the reason the area is one cohesive unit from an infrastructure perspective. You can tell when you're within the CID's boundaries by the lighted signs hanging off mast arms at signalized intersection. The picture of the black and yellow arc with three spokes on it is the logo of the CID.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
GID Urban Development (Boston) owns that field, and recently got zoning variances passed for a new development called High Street. It will incorporate the existing but recently vacated Macy's South HQ"s buildings that you can see across the street from the Dunwoody train station.

http://www.highstreetatlanta.com/indexFlash.html

Once the economy recovers, there are several huge developments set to begin in this area. This is our largest office market in the Metro.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos